IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grilled chicken sandwiches with roasted red peppers that we'll do alongside and some garlic and herb mayo. I think I have another bag of sweet potato waffle fries in the freezer that I'll throw in the oven, too.

Scratch that. Just got home and Mr.Rox is still doing work from the couch. The above isn't happening tonight. Pizza it is. I just wish he would have told me before I got home, so I could have just picked it up on the way.

It was pretty warm today, so salad sounds good: smoked tofu, cucumber, radish, with a dressing of coarsely ground peanuts, lime, and soy sauce. Stir-fried pea sprouts. Rice.

Any tips on peeling pumpkins? I just had a hell of a time trying to peel one. Not sure if my veggie peeler is just dull, or if the skin was too thick for it.

I always peel winter squash with a knife, it's just got a thick skin.

Tonight's dinner was fried liver and onions. I was diagnosed as anemic last week, so it was an excuse to have that even with all the cholesterol.

I had sundried tomato chicken and some salad, on a flatbread wrap! Quite tasty and (reasonably?) healthy. :-)

Lentil salad. A whole bunch of teensy tiny pieces of diced vegetables (I like dicing vegetables, it's very satisfying to produce a bowl of vegie confetti), puy lentils and feta.

Karate splits.

(Class is from 6 to 7, followed immediately by choir so we don't get home till 8.30. None of us wants to do martial arts on a full stomach or eat at half-past four. What's a woman to do?)

Boys have chips (fries) and milk at five, raw carrot in the car between venues, and (tinned!!!!) soup just before bed.

I shall be defrosting leftover bolognese very soon (it's midday here) and may have some bread when I make tomorrow's sandwiches. Headship isn't here today (but usually gets casserole and jacket potato at 7.15 because he doesn't come to choir).

Chicken soup. I have bronchitis and feel like shit, and I hope this will make me feel better. Though I have to say, it's so much nicer when somebody else makes the soup. Chopping the veggies was not fun just now.

Keeperrox, that cauliflower soup looks delicious, and I'm not even that much of a cauliflower fan. (Anything with that much garlic has got to be good.)

It has cooled off enough to make stew. So, white bean and chard stew, topped with a poached egg. Crusty bread to mop up the juice.

Keeperrox, that cauliflower soup looks delicious, and I'm not even that much of a cauliflower fan. (Anything with that much garlic has got to be good.)

It has cooled off enough to make stew. So, white bean and chard stew, topped with a poached egg. Crusty bread to mop up the juice.

It needed a kick, so I added some cayenne and some freshly grated nutmeg, but other than that, it was pretty damn good.

Recipe please :D

Recipe please :D

Here you go: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/01/ ... bean-stew/

I have been very pleased with most things we've tried from Smitten Kitchen. There are a few modifications we made: Our batch is soupier than the one in the picture, because we had some extra tomato to use up. We added more garlic than is called for (3x, maybe?). I have made this a few times and haven't yet bothered blanching the chard, because that would take an extra pot-- we just add it five minutes earlier than she calls for and let it cook down in the stew. And we added the chard stems, chopped like celery, along with the carrot, rather than pitching them-- they have plenty of good flavor, and given enough time, they soften up nicely. We'll have the leftovers as polenta topping some time later in the week.

(edited for riffle)

Oh lordy. Went to a lovely restaurant tonight. Had scrambled eggs with chanterelles, a beautiful salad, kohlrabi and pork gratin, and skirt steak with garlicky beans. All shared with a friend, along with a half bottle of Pinot a glass of champagne. (The real stuff!)

Archived