IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's Official

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

What exactly are you referencing? I went back through the first four pages of this thread leading up to this post, and I saw a lot of people saying they liked Joy's hair, a few people saying they didn't like it, and a grand total of one person saying, "I really hope everyone chills on criticizing her hair..." 

In general on the internet.  

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, from the video & the picture: I love the flowers, I like Austin's suit, the veil looks great, I'm neutral on the dress, but I guess it won't have that  'wow' factor Jessa's & Jinger's had. I really don't like Joy's make up!!!! C'mon, it looks like something I did in 7th grade, the thick eye liner and the awkward way the line ends... Couldn't TLC provide a make up artist???

When it comes to Joe and Kendra... I also think getting engaged at somebody else's wedding  is lazy and tacky. But I guess we'll see in a few weeks how it was pulled off.

2 hours ago, twoanddone said:

I had my daughter when i was 19. I know I'm a bit weird when I say this marriage feels all kinds of...ick. Maybe because this child is 6 years older than my daughter. Sweet Joy... sentenced to a life of joyful availability.

My mom had me at Joy's age.  But unlike Joy, she wasn't raised with having lots of babies being the only goal she was allowed to have in her life, and it probably wasn't for you either.  She and my dad just stupidly thought that night without condoms would be okay.  Hello, FJ!  But since she, and you, wasn't raised with being a baby factory as her only life goal, she was able to have other goals after kids.  A fundy girl has a baby, and her next goal is another baby.  That's all she's good for.  My mom and you got to have other goals.

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Today is grandma Mary's birthday. Is this going to be a theme now?  Who's birthday can Joseph get married on?  I kid, I kid. Happy birthday grandma Mary. Hope you got your own cake.

A grandkid married and another grandkid engaged.  Talk about being overshadowed.

2 hours ago, frugalitymom said:

Speaking of predictions I bet Joe and Kendra will be engaged by August and married end of October.

You're right about engaged by August.  They were engaged today, and it's before August.

What are everyone's thoughts on proposing at someone else's wedding? 

Rude, tacky, and disrespectful! Today was his sister's day, and Joe should have respected that. I know Joy said it was ok, but shouldn't have even asked.

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Incredibly, incredibly tacky and shameful and selfish.  There's no reason to not wait for the next day.

2 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

WOW. From their courting video, Kendra is way too immature to be engaged. 

You poor, sweet child.  How did you get the misguided impression that maturity matters?  As long as they're of legal age and can breed, that's all that matters.  Run along now and try to forget that there are people who really believe that.

2 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Maybe Joy knew he was going to do this. She probably is okay with it if she knew as she is very relaxed. 

Relaxed?  Or knows her place is to defer to the men in her life?

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Even if Joseph asked Joy ahead of time if she was cool with it, how could she possibly say no? That wouldn't be 'nice' or 'sweet' or 'special' at all.

Especially when asked at a reception.  People would see!  She couldn't exactly say no, or say yes, intending to tell him no later.

29 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I don't know, but I don't get why proposing at someone else's wedding is supposed to be "tacky".  The whole idea that you can''t take away from the bride is too much the" I'm A Pretty Pretty Princess and All Focus Must be On Me Me Me Me Me"kind of thing. 

A wedding is the bride's and groom's day.  Doing something like proposing at another person's wedding makes some of that day about yourself.  There's no good reason for it.  If a bride or groom knows you well, knows you want to propose, and asks if you if they can help plan a surprise same day, go for it.  But to just whip out a ring and get engaged during someone else's event is selfish.  For every person who doesn't like attention and would be okay with whoever proposing during the wedding at a lot more people who are relishing a day of being in the spotlight.  For a lot of people, it's the last day of getting to be the center of everyone's attention.   So wait another day to get engaged.

22 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Rude, tacky, and disrespectful! Today was his sister's day, and Joe should have respected that. I know Joy said it was ok, but shouldn't have even asked.

It's not like she could really say no.  Proper ladies know their place is to defer to the menfolk, and not only is Joe a menfolk, he's an elder to her.  She may have said ok, but that doesn't mean she was really ok with it.  Just what choice did she have in their world?

Wedding, engagement, birthday ... do the Duggars know any other way of living other than being stupidly tacky and constantly throwing parties? Nothing is special to these people, even when it should be.

As for Joy, I want to be happy for her. I think the best think that can be said is that she has a chance to experience life as an adult as opposed to an adult child at the Duggar compound. But she's just so young. It's just sad that this is somehow the best option somehow.

And Joe is as cheap and gross as his dad.

1 hour ago, Jug Band Baby said:

A wedding is the bride's and groom's day.  Doing something like proposing at another person's wedding makes some of that day about yourself.  There's no good reason for it.  If a bride or groom knows you well, knows you want to propose, and asks if you if they can help plan a surprise same day, go for it.  But to just whip out a ring and get engaged during someone else's event is selfish.  For every person who doesn't like attention and would be okay with whoever proposing during the wedding at a lot more people who are relishing a day of being in the spotlight.  For a lot of people, it's the last day of getting to be the center of everyone's attention.   So wait another day to get engaged.

OK, I'll pay that, because some people actually want to be the centre of attention, so let them have that, I guess.

I'm not one of those people though, and I don't think Joy is either. So I'm not surprised if she did indeed give Joe the OK to do it. And it wasn't like it was some random. 

It's also kind of really Duggary to me as well. You know, like "Oh just look at us, we have so many SIBLINGS, so at our reception let's just show off our SIBLINGS and how SUCCESSFUL they are at getting MARRIED."

Good morning everyone! So, my thoughts on the wedding so far:

Hair: Meh

Dress: Meh, but, why hasn't anyone commented on the biggest Duggar mistery solved? See-through sleeves are Okay :wtsf:

Proposal: Woah, congratulations Joseph, you've made you family hit a New low on tackiness

The fact that this teenage bride is younger than me: By the time she hits my age in 16 months, She'll have a kid. Meanwhile, here I am, wondering if I should make a move on the cute guy of my zoology class that was staring at me the other day, or if I should make it on the guy that sits behind me on theoric classes. My life is so easy, and i've never been happier to be where I am. Mandatory celebration beer, if I don't open you yet it's because it's 8 AM, I'll get to you in a few hours :pb_lol:

She looks so young. 

The dress: Meh 

The flowers: I really can't decide, I need to see more. I'm not too fond of them right now, but the may well change. 

The proposal: The Duggars have never been non-tacky, so why not. 

Austin's suit: Isn't that gonna be super massive incredibly hot wearing that in Arkansas right now?

Maybe Joe proposed to Kendra at Joy's wedding so that the wedding would overshadow his proposal.  I think he prefers to not be the center of attention.

26 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

but, why hasn't anyone commented on the biggest Duggar mistery solved? See-through sleeves are Okay 

I don't understand it.  I will need to wait to see a photo without her hair across her shoulder ,but, it kind of looks like the sheer material goes up to her shoulder.  I admit I struggle with their modesty rules, but I thought that you had to have covered shoulders and something that didn't show your underarm (am I correct in thinking this?)

I like her veil though and the fact she has tulips.  My son got me tulips to hold when I got married so I have a soft spot for them. 

There are so many Duggar kids. Their weddings should be their own. They deserve a day just about them. An engagement takes away from that specialness for the bride and groom and makes it about another couple. That's not fair in a family where you never get a day to be doted on and be the center of attention. 

14 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I don't know, but I don't get why proposing at someone else's wedding is supposed to be "tacky".  The whole idea that you can''t take away from the bride is too much the" I'm A Pretty Pretty Princess and All Focus Must be On Me Me Me Me Me"kind of thing. 

I personally  wouldn't have cared at all if someone proposed at my wedding. Would have been really excited actually.

I'm sure Joy doesn't mind, and speculate Kendra is too young and naive to care but I would be disappointed if someone were to propose to me at a wedding reception. It's one thing to say something vague and discuss it, but an official proposal meh. I am not high maintenance but I do really appreciate thoughtfulness. I Would also worry about the newlyweds feelings, and maybe even feel pressured into accepting because not accepting would start negative drama at someone else's wedding.

Austin looks creepy in all the pictures I am seeing on here. 

They both look robotic, :( 

17 hours ago, BackseatMom said:

I got married right after college, and a lot of people were disappointed. A lot more people we met from ages 20 until about 27 or so expressed suprises that we were living our lives, going on adventures, chasing our careers, and basically doing the things single people from our same walk of life were doing, just together. I don't know why so many people feel like life is over once you get married.

Yes, Joy and her sisters missed out on a lot, and I disagree with basically everything about their lifestyle. But getting married is the only way for them to get out of the compound and try their hands at being adults. It's that or be a child forever. Is Jana really better off?

What's sad to me is when they pop out babies right away - that really does steal your youth.

Jinger seems to be experiencing life on her own terms, or at least going along with Jeremy. Before that, she was trapped.  In terms of the marriage part, I am in a long term relationship, 10 year with a child, and the amount of people who think, oh you can't do this because of the baby etc. Am hello, I didn't die. I'm capable. 

Like you, i dont disagree with getting married, but I do feel sad that a baby will more than likely be on its way, before they even have time to get used to each other! 

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Joe proposing at Joy's wedding reception is not only tacky, but it seems cheap and lazy. Contrast a wedding reception proposal with all the elaborate planning that the suitors of the other Duggar daughters put in to make their proposals special, and it just seems like he didn't want to put any effort or creativity into it.

I think it's tacky too, but there is another way to look at it. Would the elaborate engagement events have happened without TLC's input? I really doubt it. If that's true then maybe this is a TLC directed engagement. The 'drama' and 'excitement' make this wedding a bit more interesting TV wise.

Or TLC don't care about Joe and Kendra, making this the kind of nonsense these guys come up with when left to their own devices.

Or Joe said f that, and decided to do things his own way, so he's not a TLC puppet. I really hope he turns out to be a rebel, as amazingly unlikely as it seems.

It looks like her dress is wearing her, rather than Joy wearing the dress. Too much dress! #BEC 

Okay I did not read the whole thread, I promise I will, but for now let me say this:

Joseph proposing on his sister's wedding - the only thought that popped in my mind was: "I totally didn't  see this coming.":irony::bangheaddesk:

The wedding looks lovely enough, apart from Joy's idiot brother. 
What does not look lovely, is Joy's future. If it goes by fundie-plan, she'll be able to take revenge by announcing a pregnancy on Joe's wedding day. 

5 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I think it is disrespectful. I would be mad.

We might think Joe proposing was tacky, but imagine the wedding guests were thrilled.  There they are at the reception and something was actually  happening!   It wasn't like they were doing reception-y things like having dinner, drinking or dancing, after all.   They probably appreciated something that passes for fun in their world.  A new family for the Lord being created, right in front of their very eyes! 

Love Joy's dress and the flowers (especially the colors), they look great together, as Joe and Kendra  do. But please, can they stop promoting teen marriage? I mean come on, 3 out of 5 of the Duggar's children's wedding were and will be teen weddings (Ben, Joy and Kendra).

Pretty sure this guy takes the prize on public 'no pressure' proposals with a choral piece he composed performed in a packed out Abbey (mostly strangers, including the local mayor primed with congratulatory flowers).

Newbie here (longtime lurker, first time post-er).

I really like Joy's hair: it suits her to have something more relaxed. The dress is terrible: it looks stuffy and old. I think she was talked into it by someone else (Jill?) to make her look more mature or whatever. Based on that picture, I'd guess that they were going for a classy wedding like Jingers', but didn't manage with only fundy-tacky inlaws.

Joy looks so incredibly young! It turns my stomach to think she'll probably be pregnant by the end of the year.

Anyone bets on the honeymoon? For some reason, orange + tulips make me think of Holland, but that's probably too scary for them.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived