IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's Official

Coconut Flan

I like Joy's hair, but I see the point in saying that's basically what her hair always looks like. I would definitely wear my hair down for a wedding or other special event, but as someone who almost always wears my hair up, curling it and leaving it down IS a fancy, special hairstyle for me. 

I think my favorite Duggar wedding dress is Anna's. It's sort of an unpopular opinion, but if I had to choose a Duggar dress to wear myself, it would be that one. I hate lace, I hate tulle, I hate ruffles, I HATE see-through sleeves (or see-through anything else). But I like the shape of Joy's dress and I think it looked good on her, from the pictures we've seen. It doesn't look altered for modesty to me, but I'm not a wedding dress expert, so maybe I'm just not seeing it.

As more and more Duggars grow up and get married, there are going to be more and more overlapping special events. It's always going to be SOMEBODY'S birthday or anniversary or wedding or baby shower or whatever. Maybe they've all just stopped worrying about stealing each other's thunder because it's getting to be impossible to avoid.  

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

My guess for the wedding party:

Jill - matron of honor, carlin - maid of honor, other bridesmaids: Jana, Jessa, Jinger, Johannah and Jennifer (because she is in Joy's body team), Jennifer Hartono and Josie and/or Tori Bates, Austin's ister.

This was my exact guess too for bridesmaids. I have no clue about the groomsmen or flower girls, I just hope Josie didn't get singled out again.

I hope this isn't a drift, but we talk a lot about how Jana may feel being the oldest girl still at home and questioning her future. But with Joe's engagement as a hot topic, does anyone think about John-David? Josiah was in a courtship (failed courtship, but relationship nevertheless) and Joe's engaged. John-David is still bumming around at home

Not that this makes one situation better than the other by any means, but if Jana is at home helping with the family, at least (by fundie standards) that's what she would be doing in a marriage. JD, on the other hand, is getting older, has questionable employment, and fewer demands being a male in a fundie household (helping with kids, cleaning, etc). As far as we can tell, he's not doing anything (correct me if I'm wrong). While I want Jana to find her Prince Charming and Reasonable, do you think JD thinks the same thing? Is he wondering why he hasn't courted? Would his "marketability" as a spouse diminish as he gets older without any real career plans?

I know for me as a woman, if I met a guy my age (which he and Jana are), without any real direction I'd wonder "wtf have you been doing this whole time?". I'd wonder the same for a female, but, let's be real, a chick waiting for a guy to wife her up so she can stay at home and practice Pilates is more acceptable in society. I can't think of too many gals who'd be crazy about dating a guy in his late 20s/nearing 30 without a solid career, particularly since fundies marry so young. Josh had his car lot, Ben got his associates degree, Derek had a career when they courted, Jeremy has had both life experience and his pastor gig, and Austin helps with the family business. 

Take away messages: 1) do you think JD is feeling the same way we suspect Jana of feeling? 2) is JD losing his marketability (for lack of a better/kinder word) as a fundie hubby because he's getting older and doesn't seem as career oriented? 

14 hours ago, Mela99 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on proposing at someone else's wedding? 

Beyond TACKY!  It's grandstanding at best and takes away from the bride and groom's day.  

23 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Personally, I think there's a difference between proposing around the time someone gets married and proposing at the actual wedding. That said, all that matters is if JoStin truly don't mind and freely agreed to the idea.

@divadivineJust a FYI - there's nothing wrong with a couch proposal. Only thing that should matter is that both people in the couple are comfortable and happy with how their proposal happened. 

I never said there was anything wrong with a couch proposal. Many people are losing their shit over Joe proposing at Joy's wedding/reception. Proposing at her wedding/reception will make better TV than a couch proposal. The point is, Joe wasn't going to plan anything elaborate unless TLC planned everything for him, so proposing at the wedding/reception was as fancy as he was going to get.

Just now, Gobsmacked said:

J-D is the family pilot and has a house? He doesn't Iive in it though?

Yes, he is the pilot and he owns a house (he doesn't live in.) Does he still have his towing business? He was one of the Duggars who seemed to work. 

3 hours ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

I hope this isn't a drift, but we talk a lot about how Jana may feel being the oldest girl still at home and questioning her future. But with Joe's engagement as a hot topic, does anyone think about John-David? Josiah was in a courtship (failed courtship, but relationship nevertheless) and Joe's engaged. John-David is still bumming around at home.

Male fundies have a much later expiration date than the women.  We have many examples of male fundies getting married in their late-20s early 30s to women their age or younger.    As long as the gravy train continues, I don't foresee him having difficulty getting a bride if he so chooses. 

14 hours ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

In a family where kids don't typically get their own attention, weddings are super important. 

I know! Some of them barely get individual birthday acknowledgement. 

Something about this comment also made me think about the progression & sequence of the kids getting married. Josh & Anna didn't get nearly the coverage because they were pre Duggar "fame". I feel like the family wasn't main stream enough then. By the time Jill got married, public interest was piqued. She was the first girl to get married & it was a television event. Then Jessa, I feel like a lot of people are interested in her because she's the "pretty one" and she & Bin make fundie life look mainstream & wholesome. Joshly Madison was also fresh at that time.  Jinger's wedding was also anticipated but after two big weddings, it felt like public interest was waning. Now with Joy, it seems like there's even less interest. She wasn't in the big girl group of sister's that the public was interested in & I personally haven't followed her much. I guess as the weddings go on & people get less interested, the Duggar's & PR will have to get creative with getting attention. Maybe they set Joe up to propose to Kendra & throw a double media whammy to catch more public attention? Gotta get that gravy train while you can. Two less popular siblings will have to double up events from now on? Duggar double wedding anyone? 

On a separate note, if all the married kids had 20 children apiece, there would be 100 Duggar offspring. Hypothetically speaking of course. It's mind boggling to even think about. 

I think the proposal should fit the couple. So, I know that I wouldn't be comfortable being proposed to during someone else's special day nor would I want it to be very public. Maybe it was right for Joe and Kendra, I just don't see it being that way. I could be wrong. 

3 hours ago, Joyfully Available said:

Two less popular siblings will have to double up events from now on? Duggar double wedding anyone?

Either that, or Jana getting married. 

I agree with you that as time goes on and it's the same thing over and over again, they are getting less and less coverage. That happened with Anna's pregnancies, with there being less and less interest. The same will happen with Jessa and Jill's pregnancies, too. 

But Jana's singleness has garnered a ton of attention. I've said this before, but if she ever gets engaged it will be a huge ratings boost. Her "Cinderjana" status has been commented on so much, there are going to be a ton of headlines about her finally meeting her "prince". 

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

My guess for the wedding party:

Jill - matron of honor, carlin - maid of honor, other bridesmaids: Jana, Jessa, Jinger, Johannah and Jennifer (because she is in Joy's body team), Jennifer Hartono and Josie and/or Tori Bates, Austin's ister.

Probably been said by others, but it seems to me that Joy's wedding party is best barometer of Famy's current status in the family, given that before the abuse truth went public,  Joy seemed most likely among the older kids to follow Famy into Margaritaville.  

Does anyone else detect a little extra relief in the transformation into 'godly woman' jingoism posted on the Duggar family website about Joy?

"As parents, we could not be more grateful for the godly woman Joy has become"--and for the 'loving Jim Bob that she married!'    

(Austin gets the Son-in-Love Most-Like JBob Award in my book).

Of course the big question is, who's going to announce a pregnancy first? Jinger or Joy? (unless I've missed it already - I'm already losing track).

Because if Joy announces first that's going to raise some eyebrows............

(Obviously, if nothing happens in that regard for the next 5 years I'll be ecstatic) 

I think Jinger will, and I think it will be fairly soon. Maybe next month, before Jill gives birth. 

I do think Joy will conceive quickly, though. She'll definitely be pregnant by the end of summer. 

ETA: At this point, barring her having similar attitudes about kids to Alyssa Bates Webster, Joy has the greatest opportunity to reach 20 kids. She has the most years of fertility ahead of her at this point. 

I was looking at all the ladies in their wedding dresses and is Joy wearing Jill's veil? The lace looks similar, and that would be a sweet nod to her sister-mom.

Yep. Think about it. In 10 years, Joy will be 29. That's right - in a decade she won't even be out of her 20s. In 20 years, she'll be 39 and could easily have another 5-6 years of fertility left ahead of her. If they're as fundie as I think they are, barring fertility problems or some kind of relationship issue, they could easily have 20 kids. 

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Yep. Think about it. In 10 years, Joy will be 29. That's right - in a decade she won't even be out of her 20s. In 20 years, she'll be 39 and could easily have another 5-6 years of fertility left ahead of her. If they're as fundie as I think they are, barring fertility problems or some kind of relationship issue, they could easily have 20 kids. 

Fuck. You're right :( J'chelle married younger but started breeding later. Joy might be able to surpass her mom. I imagine it'll be hard for Blessa and Jillymuffin to keep sweet when baby sis cranks out more crotch fruit than them, because those two seem to be in direct competition right now.

Twins run in their family, too. So far the Grandduggars have all been singletons, but it's bound to happen eventually. Can you imagine the pandemonium surrounding the first Duggar daughter who has a twin pregnancy? Oh the humanity.

Just now, singsingsing said:

Twins run in their family, too. So far the Grandduggars have all been singletons, but it's bound to happen eventually. Can you imagine the pandemonium surrounding the first Duggar daughter who has a twin pregnancy? Oh the humanity.

I hope it's Jana. Just to spite the other ones. :playful2:

6 minutes ago, Fullfrontalhugs said:

It's actually more likely to be Jana, given that she herself is a twin. Also, if she marries later - older mothers are more likely to have twins.

Hand on heart, I really don't think any of them will have as many children as J'chelle even though it is possible (blind optimism). Their numbers really are a rarity (which is why they're so famous).

I think most will have at least 5/6 and maybe a third of them will have 10+. If more than one of them has 15+ I'll be impressed horrified

I doubt any will use contraception (as in birth control pill/condoms) but I think there'll be a lot of natural family planning/abstinence.

I truly believe the high number is down to JB's sex drive and Meechelle's whole "being available" nonsense (and the J slaves).  

Or I could be wrong and in twenty years JB will have a group picture surrounded by 200+ grandchildren............

7 minutes ago, Fullfrontalhugs said:

Well, it's most likely to be Jana because she's a twin herself. Right? 

Don't worry guys, Lawson whored himself out on instagram at the reception. You know, in case anyone was concerned. :pb_lol: 

tumblr_oqmao8i1u81uipssao1_500.jpg

I think one or two of them may get into the 17-20 range. A handful may get to the 14-16 range. A few more, 10-12. I think a lot of them will be in the 5-9 range, and then a few will have fewer than 5. 

Some of them are bound to have fertility issues, to move away from fundamentalism/quiverfull mentality, to not be able to sustain that kind of active sex life throughout their entire marriage, to marry too late in life to have more than a few kids, or even to just not marry at all.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived