IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's Official

Coconut Flan

I can't wait to see the wedding and get a closer look at the dress. I liked Joy's hair as well it really suits her.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The video included in the People article of Joy and Austin talking about their wedding just makes me feel so sad. Joy looks so so young... like others have commented, it truely looks as if she's playing dress up. I don't watch Counting On and try to avoid the notorious "congratulations videos" (because they make me feel extremely uncomfortable haha), so I guess Joy had grown up more in my imagination than she actually has in real life.

One more thought, maybe inappropriate but I can't help it:
I wonder how Jana must feel, knowing that her 19 year old sister is allowed to have sex, whereas she is not even allowed to have "impure" thoughts. Wouldn't she be feeling jealous/frustrated? Knowing that your little sister gets to live an adult life while you are stuck mothering your mother's children? Or is it as simple as that in their culture sex means babies and she feels like she has nothing to be jealous about? (assuming  we are correct and she is holding marriage of because she doens't want 935 kids and counting).  I know that not being allowed to have sex is definitely not the biggest issue Jana has to deal with, but I'm discussing this particular subject now because of Joy's wedding.

They're welcome to come here, we don't bite. As for the honeymoon, I read that "We are going to be traveling for our Honeymoon for awhile", so some sort of roadtrip. 

8 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

So Joy is officially a teenage bride.  She looks very pretty.  Hope we'll get some more details tomorrow and not have to wait til the premiere.  Wonder why they went with a Friday evening instead of the usual Saturday daytime. So many questions.

My cynical optimist streak kinda likes the timing. They likely didn't do this, but in her place I'd be loving having a situation where being in hospitality we could choose to work incredibly diligently, or choose to take annual leave every anniversary and have just one long weekend a year where it's completely legitimate to avoid both families.

Hair: same as Michael Bates, but fits Joy better. The problem is that this kind of hairdo looks dirty and unkempt in a couple hours.  It's only really nice when it's just done.

dress: too big, too conservative, it's not for a 19 years old petite bride.

Flowers: beautiful

Groom's suit: very classy... but not for summer.

I never see them relaxed. Good luck, Joy.

1 hour ago, canis said:

I think it is disrespectful. I would be mad.

1 hour ago, Kak said:

I think it's tacky too, but there is another way to look at it. Would the elaborate engagement events have happened without TLC's input? I really doubt it. If that's true then maybe this is a TLC directed engagement. The 'drama' and 'excitement' make this wedding a bit more interesting TV wise.

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Maybe Joe proposed to Kendra at Joy's wedding so that the wedding would overshadow his proposal.  I think he prefers to not be the center of attention.

Him proposing at the wedding has reality tv written all over it. I doubt he would be bold enough to pull a stunt like that without his family agreeing to it. Seems like a PR stunt cooked up by TLC, the family, or both together. 

I saw last night that they got married. It just makes me sad. I always liked Joy the best out of the sisters. She was a tomboy and spunky but I guess even spunk can't beat the family expectations out of you. I just hope Austin isn't like his dad. That scares me for Joy. I'm hoping it's like a lifetime movie where they get married so that both of them can escape strict parents. But it's highly unlikely. 

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I don't know, but I don't get why proposing at someone else's wedding is supposed to be "tacky".  The whole idea that you can''t take away from the bride is too much the" I'm A Pretty Pretty Princess and All Focus Must be On Me Me Me Me Me"kind of thing. 

I personally  wouldn't have cared at all if someone proposed at my wedding. Would have been really excited actually. 

Then again, I don't like being the centre of attention or most wedding traditions - I wore blue for my wedding and we entered the reception behind a pantomime horse. So my opinion is probably invalid.

Also, it's not like it was actually at the ceremony part - I agree that would have been a bit wrong - but at the reception. And these folks barely have receptions anyway. Stand around for an hour waiting for the wedding party to have their photos done; see them arrive, cut cake and talk about Jebus; then leave.  

I agree. And also to be fair: proposing at Joy's wedding reception was the only way for Joe to propose to Kendra without her suspecting something, the only way to really surprise her. I've always gotten the feeling that Joe (as well as JD) is a bit more private than the other siblings, and probably would not have been comfortable doing a big scavenger hunt type proposal in front of cameras. He might've figured that "Hey, the camera crew is already there, why not propose?" instead of setting up a new date to do it. (I've also never really understood the point of making big elaborate proposals with scavenger hunts/violin players/fancy dinners, I'd much rather have something low-key with nothing to clue me in that a proposal is actually happening)

We also don't know how he proposed, if it was in front of all the attending guests or if he indeed did it semiprivate with maybe only Kendra's and his own parents there. He could've proposed and then they announced it to the rest of the reception.

(I know I'm giving Joe a huge benefit of the doubt here, but I'll save my snark until we actually see how it happened)

7 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

but Austin and his sister were too fast to do as told, too obedient, their tones of voice were nervous, and some things his dad said gave me the creeps.  There's probably To Train Up a Child in that house.

I read somewhere the other day, that kids that behave outside of the house and talk back to the parents are the children no social worker should ever be worried about. They get parenting (hence the behaving outside of the house) and feel safe enough to disagree and explore their and other people's boundaries inside the family/house. I loved the theory and found it plausible. 

So I agree, to obedient is not natural. 

7 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Do fundies DO any of those typical wedding things - bouquet toss even?

Doubt it - too Pagan for them I'd guess. ...being Pagan and a history nut it always makes me chuckle when some denominations do anything they can to get away from these ebil traditions - especially the 'for fertility' ones given the circumstances.

I'm thrilled that I don't have to share an anniversary with a duggar!

Also, I would've been fine with someone proposing at my wedding, but I would want to be in on it. 

that's all I got. I feel weird even commenting on a teenage bride.

I can't help but feel happy for Joy. If I look at this from her perspective. To date, all she has ever done with her life is 'help momma at home'. She never pursued a hobby slash career like the older girls. No midwifery, no protography, no doula dabbling, nothing. She graduated and continued as a slave daughter for for parents. Now she's leaping into a new life with a guy she seems to adore, possibly helping with his family business, establishing her own home etc. Yes, a million babies will likely ensue, but from JOY'S perspective, nothing could be more exciting. 

As for Austin, if he did grow up in a cold abusive strict home, to be finally married to the woman he appears to adore, to be surrounded by that love every day, well I can't help but be happy for him either.

I can only hope that the relative freedom they'll experience being away from their families will help them tone down the crazy and the intolerance over the coming years. Good luck to them both. 

Plus side... hopefully Joe was too busy proposing and celebrating his engagement and therefore didn't have time to reprise his role* of being a dick and filling the getaway car with sardines and crap like an asshole. 

*or was that JD? They're all immature assholes so I'm sure both were involved at Erin's wedding. Jerks. 

I was hoping so much for some traditional Duggar wedding tackiness and boy did they deliver! 

Tacky AF

Joy gets the distinguishment of being the only Duggar child to get married as a teen just like ma and pa!

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

OK, I'll pay that, because some people actually want to be the centre of attention, so let them have that, I guess.

I'm not one of those people though, and I don't think Joy is either. So I'm not surprised if she did indeed give Joe the OK to do it. And it wasn't like it was some random. 

It's also kind of really Duggary to me as well. You know, like "Oh just look at us, we have so many SIBLINGS, so at our reception let's just show off our SIBLINGS and how SUCCESSFUL they are at getting MARRIED."

I'm not a center of attention person either and I likely would have been kind of upset if someone had done that at our wedding without at least asking us first. And even then, there are very few people I think we would have been ok doing that - pretty much all of them were engaged or married before our wedding. 

I truly hope Joe asked JoStin ahead of time and that they were honestly ok with the idea. And I also hope that he (or TLC) found a way to make it special and personalized for Kendra. 

My guess is that the reception proposal means that there isn't a Vuelo pregnancy to announce. Jinger's   have been better for publicity. 

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

I'm thrilled that I don't have to share an anniversary with a duggar!

Also, I would've been fine with someone proposing at my wedding, but I would want to be in on it. 

that's all I got. I feel weird even commenting on a teenage bride.

Me too! My anniversary is Monday and I really didn't want to share it with a Duggar regardless that Joy is one of my two favorite older sisters. 

I would have been ok with someone proposing/announcing at my wedding as long as I was included in on it and it was not my mother n law. Long story short: My mother n law remarried her first husband three weeks before our marriage(In secret, they didn't even tell my husband who is biologically both their child. Her only and one of two sons for him.) and wanted to announce it at our wedding. She got mad when I said, "Hell No". She has now been married four times to three different men. She also wanted to wear white at my wedding and ended up going with a very light blue when I told her not to come to the wedding then. Can you tell I still can't stand the woman?

19 is really too young to be married. I was 22 and I now realized that we should have waited. Regardless, we made it and it will be 24 years this Monday. I know that sometimes young marriages work and I'm not criticizing anyone who married young. I just know how rough it was for my husband and myself. 

Wasn't it Grandma Mary Duggar's birthday,yesterday? Maybe that is why she chose that date??

I think she looks pretty.I would have preferred her hair to be put up,kind of like Jinger's was.

I got married at 19,Mr.Melon was 23,and 37 years later,he's my rock.My grandmother thought I was way,too young.My baby was born almost 8 months later....I am sure she did the math,but she never said anything...to me.

Her dress???It looks like a combo,from what I can see...the sleeves remind me of Jinger's dress,the bodice...JIll's dress.I am looking forward to seeing more pictures.

I am not photogenic...if I smile I look like I have had one too many,if I don't smile,I look like I am ready for tears.

The girls' dresses my faves: 1) JInger 2) Jessa 3) Joy 4) Jill.

And I think it is tacky for Joe to propose at his sister's reception.Couldn't he have waited one day?

Their relationship name has to be JoKen now. 

Got engaged at your sister's wedding? 

You have to be JoKen.

10 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

He has had that fake smile in many pictures. At least, I think that's what it is. But on your wedding day... why is it forced? On our wedding day, I couldn't stop grinning and neither could my husband. This this guy gives off a vibe to me. I don't know what it is. I hope it's just that he doesn't like cameras. 

Maybe he's self-conscious about his smile? I have a half-smile in all of my wedding pictures because I look maniacal and ugly if I smile with my mouth open and I'm also self-conscious about my teeth as I have staining due to medication I have to take (and bleaching can't fix it). I'm sure many people here would look at my photos and say 'she doesn't look happy/excited', but I can promise that I was deliriously happy. I hate having my photo taken and it shows in photos of me no matter how happy/relaxed I am that day.

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

*or was that JD? They're all immature assholes so I'm sure both were involved at Erin's wedding. Jerks. 

That was JD. They did it at Anna's wedding and Chad and Erin's, only they were "nice" and didn't use moth balls at Erin's. 

2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Doubt it - too Pagan for them I'd guess. ...being Pagan and a history nut it always makes me chuckle when some denominations do anything they can to get away from these ebil traditions - especially the 'for fertility' ones given the circumstances.

My grandmother's friend's daughter was planning her wedding,and the church would not allow them to play the wedding march,it's supposed to be a Pagan hymn.They went to another church.

The church or minister that would not allow this was Presbyterian.

When we got married Mr Melon was so nervous,excited he did not lock the car.

Someone put sardines on the engine.Luckily,we did not drive off.Mr. Melon did not find it funny,either.

Well, shit. I missed it ;)

I'm sorry I don't like the hair, but I think it's more to do with my age than anything else. Back in my day, all the wimmenfolk spent the morning at the hairdressers in curlers under the dryers ;)  I just don't get the whole "hair that looks like it does every other day of the week" thing (definitely an age thing), Nice dress from what I've seen, nothing spectacular though (but coming off the back of Jessa's very trendy dress and Jinger's classical long train "spectacular" has been done). I can see that it suits her personality though (as much as we know of it anyway).

Joe proposing? crass. Even if he had permission from the bride and groom I still think it's crass. 

I don't particularly care for the overly stage managed proposals to the girls, so a low key proposal doesn't wind me up. BUT it does show us clearly where the boys stand with TLC, they obviously don't have the draw that the girls do otherwise TLC would have said "Well that's fine Joe but we need something more interesting for the show".  

They registered for all that camping gear. Maybe they're gonna backpack out west through a few states.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived