IGNORED

Joy and Austin: It's Official

Coconut Flan

I think proposing at any event, be it wedding, birthday party, retirement party, etc. that's meant to celebrate someone else, is tacky and rude. Usually - there are exceptional circumstances where it might not be. I'm going to go ahead and say that Joy's wedding probably wasn't such an exceptional circumstance for Joe and Kendra.

I wouldn't be happy if someone proposed at my wedding, and it has nothing to do with wanting to be the centre of attention. It has everything to do with this person making a scene, and creating embarrassment. Frankly, I would feel embarrassed if this happened at my wedding, because so many people view it as something uncouth and attention-seeking. Instead of just enjoying my wedding reception, I'd be walking around in a state of second hand embarrassment at this foolishness that went down, haha. No, it's definitely not the end of the world or a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but still something I would hope wouldn't happen.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I hope Austin is a better headship then Derick. 

Well that's an incredibly low bar.

2 minutes ago, WhyNotJulie said:

Well that's an incredibly low bar.

Well, we have seen nothing to indicate a life of grifting in SCA. At least we know that. 

Well, at least I know the wedding I'm going to this evening will be 100% more fun than Joy's could ever be. DANCINGGGGGG! 

I missed it too. Anytime I'm super busy a million things happen. I don't we just scrolling through instragram and saw it. I fully expect her to be pregnant by the end of summer as well as a JoKen wedding by the end of the year. 

Sorry I'm just now catching up.

HE PROPOSED AT HIS SISTERS WEDDING?

That reminds me of the time my brother and sil announced their pregnancy at my baby shower. But worse. The Duggars are so tacky. So tacky. 

4 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

That reminds me of the time my brother and sil announced their pregnancy at my baby shower. 

What the actual eff? What is wrong with people?!

11 hours ago, BackseatMom said:

OMG, kid farm. That is the funniest Duggar related thing I have ever seen. 

"How big is her p*ssy!"" 

6 hours ago, JessayW91 said:

I do feel sad that a baby will more than likely be on its way, before they even have time to get used to each other! 

I feel like popping out a baby asap is a recipe for disaster in regards to a relationship, but *most* seem to make it work (not like they really have any choice...)

I think this is the spechul word for it, but does anyone know if it's a covenant marriage? Do all of the married duggarlings have a covenant marriage?

4 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Him proposing at the wedding has reality tv written all over it. I doubt he would be bold enough to pull a stunt like that without his family agreeing to it. Seems like a PR stunt cooked up by TLC, the family, or both together. 

How we're Jinger's ratings for her wedding? If they weren't good, I could see TLC wanting to add something different to get more viewers. 

18 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

Sorry I'm just now catching up.

HE PROPOSED AT HIS SISTERS WEDDING?

That reminds me of the time my brother and sil announced their pregnancy at my baby shower. But worse. The Duggars are so tacky. So tacky. 

Is your SIL Audrey Roloff? Cause that sounds like Audrey Roloff. :pb_lol:

6 minutes ago, Flippp said:

I feel like popping out a baby asap is a recipe for disaster in regards to a relationship, but *most* seem to make it work (not like they really have any choice...)

I think this is the spechul word for it, but does anyone know if it's a covenant marriage? Do all of the married duggarlings have a covenant marriage?

SmugAnna doesn't - they married in Florida, so it wasn't an option. JinJer might. Benessa and the Dills do.

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

What the actual eff? What is wrong with people?!

They kept telling everyone they didn't want kids for another year or two and then when I got pregnant they all of a sudden decided they would start trying as soon as my sil graduated in a few months. She had literally taken the test like two days before my shower. She hadn't even confirmed with a doctor. My brother wanted to make a big announcement during the meal but my sil thought it would be "more respectful" to make a big show of taking each person outside individually to tell them. Each. Person. For the entire shower! So the whole time everyone was like "what are they doing?" And then coming back all smirky because of the news. Of course they waited until everyone left to tell me and my parents.

Joe seems sweet but apparently has the imagination of a tree stump. A proposal doesn't have to be elaborate but it should be personal. So basically he used his sister's venue, flowers, decorations, candles etc? Did he hand Kendra a centerpiece? I hope he at least bought a ring.

I haven't read the whole thread but I think Austin's suit looks nice. Fits well, nice color, not boring. 

Do do not mistake this as enthusiasm that this wedding happened though lol

Oh I can't find the quote, but I thought Austin's suit looks nice. I agree he looks stiff, but hey, there's a million possible reasons for that. Maybe he hates posed photos, or doesn't like his smile (a friend's husband is like this, so he always, always looks odd if he knows a photo is being taken). I'm no opthamologist, but cascarones' boyfriend took a glance to eye his suit and tie and immediately said, "Oh he's got amblyopia (lazy eye)!" Even with early intervention and treatment it definitely can drift when you're tired or with a ton of flash photography. Could also just be the angle of the photo, he didn't exactly whip out a measurement tool. 

I liked Joy's hair, I thought it suited her, but I also like the long softy curls hairstyle and watched their hair tutorial video. I hope they had an 'amaaaazzing' time or that Jinger says it somewhere in the special.

There are just so many other times to propose, I was not a bridezilla at all and hate attention on me but I'd hate that. It's unnecessary and tacky making someone else's event about you.

And why permanently hitch your relationship to someone else's wedding?  I'd be mortified if I was any of them. What if she'd said no?  What if it falls apart in the (no doubt short) period between now and the Joendra wedding? What if Joy and Austin's marriage falls apart in scandal? Joe and Kendra could reminisce in the years to come - "Remember when you proposed at your sister's wedding? It was so romantic...shame he turned out to be such a godless heathen/ran away to become a Hare Krishna/turned into a polygamist/wrote a tell all book and embarrassed us all".

And Henk12 that's insane! I'm sorry they had so little sense.

Anyway - love the hair, meh on the dress. It looks matronly from those few photos. I like the sleeves and the veil a lot though.

17 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

They kept telling everyone they didn't want kids for another year or two and then when I got pregnant they all of a sudden decided they would start trying as soon as my sil graduated in a few months. She had literally taken the test like two days before my shower. She hadn't even confirmed with a doctor. My brother wanted to make a big announcement during the meal but my sil thought it would be "more respectful" to make a big show of taking each person outside individually to tell them. Each. Person. For the entire shower! So the whole time everyone was like "what are they doing?" And then coming back all smirky because of the news. Of course they waited until everyone left to tell me and my parents.

Well your SIL wins the Tacky AF award. I'm guessing she acted like she was the first person to ever be pregnant for 9 months as well.

Oh but my cousin handed out invitations to her baby shower at my baby shower. So I have tacky relatives as well. 

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well your SIL wins the Tacky AF award. I'm guessing she acted like she was the first person to ever be pregnant for 9 months as well.

Oh but my cousin handed out invitations to her baby shower at my baby shower. So I have tacky relatives as well. 

Omg your sil sounds like a self centered brat! I would have been furious! Why couldn't she just mail them?

And yes, she did. And then for her most recent pregnancy she announced super early again, infront of my cousin and his gf who had just lost their twins daughters weeks before. She also bragged that they were probably having twins too since she used clomid. AND wanted to name her daughter the same name as one of the twins my cousin had lost. Thankfully she didnt go through with it. 

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would have punched her right in the nose. 

I agree with several posters for reasons why Austin may look stiff/unhappy/etc BUT...this is the picture he and she ultimately selected for People to use.  I would think they would have final say in which photo is released to the media, it's not like it's a random shot taken by a friend.

I suppose he could be one of those guys who ultimately doesn't care about such things, and as long as Joy (or JB, who am I kidding) likes it, he likes it. I could see JD being this way too.

14 minutes ago, Henk12 said:

Omg your sil sounds like a self centered brat! I would have been furious! Why couldn't she just mail them?

And yes, she did. And then for her most recent pregnancy she announced super early again, infront of my cousin and his gf who had just lost their twins daughters weeks before. She also bragged that they were probably having twins too since she used clomid. AND wanted to name her daughter the same name as one of the twins my cousin had lost. Thankfully she didnt go through with it. 

No joke, I would have thrown down if she dared to do that to someone I loved. I wouldn't even care if the bitch were pregnant. You don't act like a massive asshole to someone going through that type of pain and grief.

I'm just catching up, but I have to say (from a few pages back) that I'm surprised so many people see Joy as not chugging the koolaid hardcore. Maybe it's just that she's one I "like" less than others, so I don't give her as much benefit of the doubt? But I've always been under the impression that she's as deep or deeper in it than most of her siblings. I wouldn't be surprised to see her wear pants, but I think that will pale in comparison to her harsh application of the beliefs that are much more problematic. Of possible breakaways, I think Jana, Jill, and Joy are the least likely.

And I would straight up kick people out if they tried to propose at my wedding reception. But, I'm sure she gave permission and probably wasn't as reluctant as I would be.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

They registered for all that camping gear. Maybe they're gonna backpack out west through a few states.

Oh I get it! They're going to escape over the Alps like the Von Trapps ;) 

My husband never smiles for the camera. Usually in posed photos, he looks like he is getting a mug shot taken. If he does try to smile, he looks like Chandler Bing. The good pics of him from our wedding are all candids. Fortunately, our photographer got some great ones.

As for the proposal at the wedding, I agree with the sentiment that it is tacky to take the attention from the bride and groom. We actually waited to announce our engagement because we were going to my aunt and uncle's 50th Anniversary party right after and didn't want the whole family paying attention to us being newly engaged on their day. We announced about ten days after that event instead. And that was just an anniversary party and it wasn't as if he was going to propose at it. 

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

This certainly takes the focus off the law suit.

And that's part of the reason why I think Joe decided to get engaged to his child girlfriend so quickly.  I think this is a "let's go all out; do whatever it takes to change the headlines about the family" move.  If the lawsuit stays in the news, I guarantee someone else will begin a courtship.  If the buzz around the family gets really negative, and really loud, look to see a twin courtship as both Jana and JD will find someone, followed by a twin wedding. I really do think the family is that desperate at this point.  I also think that's one of the reasons why Josh and Anna are now all of a sudden not going to be featured on the next season of Counting On.  The family decided it was too risky to bring them back, since the lawsuit has made news.  

As for Austin, I'm not gonna snark on his forced smile in the picture People posted. I also rarely manage to look natural smiling in photos. I've gotten better at it but have to keep reminding myself that the smile must reach the eyes or else I look like a psychopath. The only really good pics of me smiling are when I'm not aware pictures are being taken.

I think Joy looks really good in the photo, and there's nothing wrong with her dress, but it doesn't really feel like it's "her" dress to me. A wedding dress should compliment the bride and make her even more beautiful and I'm not sure that dress does that for her.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived