IGNORED

The Duggars screw over the Friendly Chapel/BATES EPISODE3/13

Buzzard

I hope you still want to read it by about midway through Volume 2. But, it is engaging, a good mix of big swooping tides of history and little tidbits about individual lives.

Yeah, I went to look it up on Wikipedia and Amazon...Looks like a big series; if it gets too tedious I'll put a booksign and pick up a lighter novel. I often read 2 books at once, a non-fiction and a novel.

There was a 2011 re-edition so next week off to Chapters or Indigo I go. Or maybe I could ask for it as a birthday present? :think: :dance:

And I'm still one who loves to buy (or borrow) real books. No kindle for me right now. I love spending 30-45 minutes in a bookstore, and buying a few books at a time.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got to see the Fish Fry episode. Some words for Jim-Bob:

Jim-Bob, you CHOOSE to "accept' all the blessings from God. You say your faith is central to your life. So why can't you pray for guidance in getting out the door on time?? Here's a tip: Start about 7 hours earlier than you think you need to. Pack the day BEFORE. Plan your meals (this saves money AND time) much easier to have prepared BAKED quesadillas and handed them out in the bus to the whole group.

Now some words for BOTH Michelle and JIm-Bob:

Being a "tom boy" is not a crime. It does not mean your daughter will be a lesbian. It does mean she might enjoy deer hunting of off-roading with her future husband though and that's a good thing. Stop making it an issue and it will cease to be an issue.

And Just for MICHELLE:

WT? You can cuddle your GRANDSON but your own youngest children barely know you! Priority check! He HAS two parents who, in spite of what else they may be like, do seem to love and care for him and his sister. Learn from your child and LOVE on your OWN children before you regret it.

Finally got to see the Fish Fry episode. Some words for Jim-Bob:

Jim-Bob, you CHOOSE to "accept' all the blessings from God. You say your faith is central to your life. So why can't you pray for guidance in getting out the door on time?? Here's a tip: Start about 7 hours earlier than you think you need to. Pack the day BEFORE. Plan your meals (this saves money AND time) much easier to have prepared BAKED quesadillas and handed them out in the bus to the whole group.

Now some words for BOTH Michelle and JIm-Bob:

Being a "tom boy" is not a crime. It does not mean your daughter will be a lesbian. It does mean she might enjoy deer hunting of off-roading with her future husband though and that's a good thing. Stop making it an issue and it will cease to be an issue.

And Just for MICHELLE:

WT? You can cuddle your GRANDSON but your own youngest children barely know you! Priority check! He HAS two parents who, in spite of what else they may be like, do seem to love and care for him and his sister. Learn from your child and LOVE on your OWN children before you regret it.

I was thinking the same thing during that episode. I know several straight women that are a bit tom boyish. I kind of wonder if maybe Michelle's sister is a butch type lesbian.

Doesn't negate the other numerous posts where you say blatantly racist stuff and cling to it. Stop looking for pats on the back. YOu're not going to find them here. Several users were very kind and generous and patient with you the first time you said shit and they tried to genuinely educate you. You have burned bridges here now though.

I live in SC and the Confederate flag is flown by many of my friends. I do not fly it but I do think those who are offended should get over it! You are not and have never been a slave and I have never been a slave owner. The flag is what you make of it. If you want to continue the hate and contempt then keep it in your own yard. I will not try to rub my opinions in anyone's face as well, but since ya'll are expressing your opinions---here's mine. History is history. Period. We can't change it and I sure as FUCK ain't gonna apologize for it!

edited by admin to fix quote incorrectly attributed to holierthanthou - I hope this is right

Francinefishpaw: I think you might have accidently made an error in how your post displayed, as it is showing what I believe is your quote (the paragraph that starts "I live in SC and the confederate flag...") as being attributed to me.

Please note that I most definitely did not write that paragraph, as I neither live in SC nor do I endorse racist symbols!

Eta: thank you admin!!

I did write the very last paragraph ("doesn't negate....")' but just not the one about living in SC and endorsing confederate flags. Shudder.

My whole family, but especially my mom, operates on their own version of Duggar time, and it drives me crazy. She knows when things start, she knows how long it will take to get there, she just doesn't care. We actually had an argument one time in which she said that if everyone was twenty minutes late to, say, a meeting, then none of them were late because they all got here at the same time. I said, no, they're all just equally late. She can be on time if she absolutely has to be (like to catch a plane), but for things like appointments, rehearsals, movies, "okay, I'll meet you at the coffee shop at two," etc. she just figures as long as she gets there sometime in the vicinity of when it's supposed to start, she's good. It drives me absolutely insane.

Anyway, I sort of think the Duggars have a legitimate excuse, because it is hard to get small children out the door on time, no matter how much you prepare, and a lot of times when they pull out the Duggar time speech it seems to be for things like getting out on the road for a trip, in which case it doesn't really matter if they meant to leave at noon but they didn't leave until three. If they've agreed to be somewhere at a specific time, though, then yes, they should make more of an effort to arrive on time.

I appreciate that the duggars have small children and that means it takes longer to get ready, but my beef is that they KNOW it takes longer to get ready, so why do they not budget for that? I think it is rude and can be helped. If they really and truly had no idea how long things took, then they would always miss every flight by several hours. They know that flights really won't wait hours for them though, so of course they always manage to get there in time.

Yes they have lots of young children, but so do daycares and primary school classrooms, but they mange to arrive for field trips on time, etc, etc.

Sorry for being a wee bit out of topic...

Can someone recommend a few titles of books on the subject of the American Civil War? Biographies or non-fiction only, as much as I do enjoy historical fiction novels I'd like to read something with more "meat"...

Thanks in advance.

ps: I have "Team of Rivals", which I haven't read yet (got it last Christmas).

To Die in Chicago by George Levy. It's about Camp Douglas, a POW camp located in Chicago. It's a fascinating story, at one point because of the camp the entire city of Chicago was under Marshall Law.

In this episode part of the reason the Duggars were late is because they didn't start packing, etc. until THAT morning. They also admitted they can usually be on time if they have to catch a plane, though they almost missed a flight once. I think they just don't care enough to on time, their world revolves around them and everyone else can just adapt. Selfish, pure and simple.

In this episode part of the reason the Duggars were late is because they didn't start packing, etc. until THAT morning. They also admitted they can usually be on time if they have to catch a plane, though they almost missed a flight once. I think they just don't care enough to on time, their world revolves around them and everyone else can just adapt. Selfish, pure and simple.

QFT

The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism. At one time it represented a country, however it has been taken over by hatred and racism.

Here's a nice test, if you were to fly another flag in it's place would that be racist? Let's say someone displayed the Nazi flag, is it about German pride and heritage or hate? I am going with hate.

Didactic quibble: Martial law. "Marshall Law" would involve dropping dry goods on Berlin.

Good reminder. I've been intending to read the Levy book.

Didactic quibble: Martial law. "Marshall Law" would involve dropping dry goods on Berlin.

Good reminder. I've been intending to read the Levy book.

Thank you!

Guest Anonymous

I live in SC and the Confederate flag is flown by many of my friends. I do not fly it but I do think those who are offended should get over it! You are not and have never been a slave and I have never been a slave owner. The flag is what you make of it. If you want to continue the hate and contempt then keep it in your own yard. I will not try to rub my opinions in anyone's face as well, but since ya'll are expressing your opinions---here's mine. History is history. Period. We can't change it and I sure as FUCK ain't gonna apologize for it!

Oh, is racism over? I didn't get the memo.

You realize that racism didn't stop after the Civil War, right? Have you ever heard of Jim Crow laws? Didn't we have to send the National Guard into Southern states so that little kids could go to school together?

Nothing can redeem this nastiness but I'm going to try and counteract it with some freaking heartbreaking Nina Simone.

BcCm_ySBslk

Can someone recommend a few titles of books on the subject of the American Civil War? Biographies or non-fiction only, as much as I do enjoy historical fiction novels I'd like to read something with more "meat"...

Thanks in advance.

Rehearsal for Reconstruction:

The Port Royal Experiment

Front Cover

Willie Lee Nichols Rose

4 Reviews

University of Georgia Press, 1999 - 464 pages

Just seven months into the Civil War, a Union fleet sailed into South Carolina's Port Royal Sound, landed a ground force, and then made its way upriver to Beaufort. Planters and farmers fled before their attackers, allowing virtually all their major possessions, including ten thousand slaves, to fall into Union hands.Rehearsal for Reconstruction, winner of the Allan Nevins Prize, the Francis Parkman Prize, and the Charles S. Sydnor Prize, is historian Willie Lee Rose's chronicle of change in this Sea Island region from its capture in 1861 through Reconstruction. With epic sweep, Rose demonstrates how Port Royal constituted a stage upon which a dress rehearsal for the South's postwar era was acted out.

And I'm still one who loves to buy (or borrow) real books. No kindle for me right now. I love spending 30-45 minutes in a bookstore, and buying a few books at a time.

Kind of OT, but the Kindle is also good for history stuff published prior to 1928 because it's free...

Kind of OT, but the Kindle is also good for history stuff published prior to 1928 because it's free...

Vixen I quite agree. I've had my kindle for a year now bought two books (Part one of the new Clemons bio, and a new Serge Storms). I still buy as many books locally as I did prior to owning it. But my kindle is loaded with lots of free history, science and pulp fiction.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks in advance.

You might also want to try one or two DVDs:

Horrors At Andersonville Prison: The Trial of Henry Wirz (commandant of Andersonville prison)

The Civil War, documentary by Ken Burns

The Hunt For John Wilkes Booth

Gettysburg: Three Days Of Destiny

Brother Against Brother: The American Civil War

(the last 3 were originally shown on History Channel)

the last 3 were originally shown on History Channel

So try to ignore the bits about Sasquatch and the Knights Templar. They're pretty good, otherwise.

(Kidding. I'm kidding. Except that it's a funny-because-it's-mostly-true about History Channel.)

So try to ignore the bits about Sasquatch and the Knights Templar. They're pretty good, otherwise.

(Kidding. I'm kidding. Except that it's a funny-because-it's-mostly-true about History Channel.)

Don't forget about aliens and Freemasons... :shock:

I remember when the History Channel showed, ya know, historical things.

Vixen I quite agree. I've had my kindle for a year now bought two books (Part one of the new Clemons bio, and a new Serge Storms). I still buy as many books locally as I did prior to owning it. But my kindle is loaded with lots of free history, science and pulp fiction.

I have replaced some of my paper copies of classics (yet still can't get rid of some...) and love being able to get a lot of the old children's series fiction (Ruth Fielding, original 1904 Bobbsey Twins, so on). I buy maybe 2-4 Kindle books a month, although I always like to look at the Daily Deal and the 100 Books of the Month under 3.99. The other big use is if I don't want to wait for a book...

Oh, is racism over? I didn't get the memo.

You realize that racism didn't stop after the Civil War, right? Have you ever heard of Jim Crow laws? Didn't we have to send the National Guard into Southern states so that little kids could go to school together?

Nothing can redeem this nastiness but I'm going to try and counteract it with some freaking heartbreaking Nina Simone.

BcCm_ySBslk

I never said racism was over. Just back off the old shit that none of us has the ability to change! Me being judged for what my ancestors may or may not have done is just as bad as me judging you for your ancestors past actions!

And "holierthanyou" I didn't intend to make that look like you were quoted. Its all my opinion.

I never said racism was over. Just back off the old shit that none of us has the ability to change! Me being judged for what my ancestors may or may not have done is just as bad as me judging you for your ancestors past actions!

And "holierthanyou" I didn't intend to make that look like you were quoted. Its all my opinion.

BTW, this was not intended to be nastiness. JMO. I thought we were allowed that on FJ.

History is history. Period. We can't change it and I sure as FUCK ain't gonna apologize for it!

Personally, I'm going to apologize for my racist ancestors. And I'm not going to act like the flag they flew as they enslaved people is anything good.

Guest Anonymous

This post is an incoherent mess.

BTW, this was not intended to be nastiness. JMO. I thought we were allowed that on FJ.

You're allowed to say anything at all as long as it doesn't violate the TOU. Who's trying to stop you?

Archived