IGNORED

The Duggars screw over the Friendly Chapel/BATES EPISODE3/13

Buzzard

Holy shit, I can't believe no one else caught this, but in one of the family group shots, Michaella is wearing a top that she fashioned out of the Confederate flag. I had to rewind because it ran by me as I was posting at TWOP, but for anyone who recorded it, it's around the 3 minute mark. A screencap would be appreciated (sorry, I don't have the technology).

eta: "I get tireder, easier." Really, Kelly? No wonder your kids all sound like backwoods hicks.

I so hope that someone gets a screen shot of this and sends it to TMZ. Are there any screenshots of the Nathan Bedford Forrest photo they proudly displayed? Those two together would shatter the illusion of the Bates just being this sweet country family.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is so great about the Bateses? Okay, they might seem 'cute' but they're still espousing the exact same dangerous philosophy, mistreating animals and not allowing their daughters to pursue higher education.

Doesn't Erin attend college to study music? Granted, I'm sure it's an extremely conservative Christian institution but it's not College Minus. That at least demonstrates a slight willingness to pursue something out of the home, which the Duggars (girls especially) have been deprived of, education-wise.

I wonder if Gil and Kelly are marginally more comfortable with the idea of their children pursuing some form of higher education because they, too, went to college. It amazes me that Michelle (who is trained as a realtor, is she not?) is so ridiculously opposed to her girls doing anything to work outside of the home. Have we heard any developments regarding Jill's supposed Nursing degree? Probably hard to get your schoolin' done when you spend weeks on a bus, following Rick Santorum around like a bunch of brainwashed groupies.

Doesn't Erin attend college to study music?

She did at one time, but when she went to class one of her sisters had to attend every day with her. I don't give any points to parents who don't trust an ADULT daughter to take a music class on her own without a chaperone to protect her from god knows what.

Okay, so the Bateses are MARGINALLY better than the Duggars. They're still pretty messed up and they still don't trust their adult daughter to go to classes by herself and they wouldn't let her take a scholarship. The hell it was her choice.

She did at one time, but when she went to class one of her sisters had to attend every day with her. I don't give any points to parents who don't trust an ADULT daughter to take a music class on her own without a chaperone to protect her from god knows what.

Ah, that I did not know! Weird.

I haven't seen either episode yet so just some general comments. ATI/VisionForum--just about anything related--is all about APPEARANCE. It's how they recruit--you see a perfect family and want it.

I'm not sure what is up with Jessa and Jana but I get the idea they are sick of being on tv. Joy Anna-- I agree leave her alone and shut up Jim-Bob! Not every girl is a "girlie" girl. Hannie--I have come to hate her. She's obnoxious and the editors exploit her most obnoxious moments as they do all the little kids.

The Bates--I think the parents DO contribute much more parenting, cooking, cleaning etc than Jim-Bob and Michelle ever have. But the Bates are smack in the middle of poverty--self-imposed pverty, but poverty none the less. The Duggars bought used clothes etc while building wealth. The Bates are living in survival mode. They should get rid of the horses and Gil should swallow his pride and take a J-O-B while the older boys do the tree thing. Zack should also be in a J-O-B as should some of the older girls. For their parents and younger siblings well-being the older kids SHOULD move out and support themselves, but they won't be allowed to. This is idiocy. But the Bates need to be seen to show a bit more reality to the Quiverfull lifestyle. Jim-Bob is a savvy real estate investor, who in spite of what some folks here think, would have continued to support his family and would have over a few years furnished the house, paid for the cars , etc, just not at quite as high a level as the TLC contract has enabled him to do. The Bates have no hope of that. Appearing on TLC pays hospital bills to cover the insanity of kids and no insurance (one kid or twenty you need health insurance). TLC has enabled them to have a home in which they aren't about to kill each other. TLC is allowing them to eat better and have heat and necessary clothing. The Bates are stuck in Quiverfull reality--God doesn't always bless with more than the bare minimum no matter how much you want Him too. People NEED to see this.

It takes a career like Real Estate (and boom times) to make it possible for Daddy to be home all the time. A normal, no-education, "skeeeels only" job won't provide this. That's one of the many flaws with this lifestyle. Lawson Bates and his yard service, in time, can easily and well provide for a normal sized family (at least where I live--and where they live). And, a tree service can also provide a nice lifestyle for a normal sized family. But for a family of 21--NO, it can't. A DOCTOR would not be doing great with that many to feed.

So, TLC thanks for reminding us how the rest of the Quiverfull lives.

I was not raised here in America - is it possible to fly the Confederate flag without it being racist? Several people have the flag on truck windows etc and say it's not racist - it stands for heroes on both sides of the conflict not wanting slavery back...

Re: Erin having to attend a college music class with a sister-chaperone in tow, if I was the instuctor I would absolutely refuse that the chaperone sits in...Unless she also pays the rates.

Since it was a Christian college they're probably used to have chaperones sitting in...How awful that G and K mistrust E so much that she couldn't attend a piano college course on her own. And I'd be forever mad at G for vetoing that scholarship offer; but E has to "keep sweet". I hope she was angry at her dad for that one. :evil:

Why do I get the sinking feeling that "Duggar Time" is intentional? You know, make everyone panic that 10 or 11 of the promised helpers aren't late, what to do now, oh here come the Duggars to save the day! Even though they should have been there on time. You get more personal attention when you're late.

Attention whoring. Yes, I agree there is certainly an element of that in DT.

Ooh, this makes me MAD! Hannie is a perfect little girl JUST the way she is, Jim-Blob! She's smart and curious and spunky and full of life and the fact that JB sees this as a PROBLEM and wants to stamp out her individuality and turn her into a flat lifeless drone like he's done to Jana just makes me absolutely SICK.

Agree!!

The fact that JB wants to have the "spunkiness" taken away from that delightful little girl saddens me to the core. Yes, she sometimes seems like a handful, but without Hannie their show would stink even more. I remember M saying that Jana used to be like Johannah when she was at that age...

We're watching you, JB, we're watching you. :cry:

I was not raised here in America - is it possible to fly the Confederate flag without it being racist? Several people have the flag on truck windows etc and say it's not racist - it stands for heroes on both sides of the conflict not wanting slavery back...

Despite the misuse of "begs the question," this article is a useful starting point for answering your question: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... tate-flags

Since it was a Christian college they're probably used to have chaperones sitting in...

Not at any NORMAL Christian College (I work at one)--maybe at Pensacola or Hyles Anderson, but that's about it.

Ultimately it is a symbol of racism. I do believe there are people who are ignorant of that over-riding fact, and they truly believe that flying that flag is, to them, a symbol of pride in their regional heritage, history, etc, etc, etc. I think a few of those people are being overtly racist, but a large number of them are just ignorant of the fact that nothing is an island... everything has meaning and context attached to it, and the Confederate flag obviously has huge power attached to it in regards to racial superiority etc in the context of American history.

Ultimately it is a symbol of racism. I do believe there are people who are ignorant of that over-riding fact, and they truly believe that flying that flag is, to them, a symbol of pride in their regional heritage, history, etc, etc, etc. I think a few of those people are being overtly racist, but a large number of them are just ignorant of the fact that nothing is an island... everything has meaning and context attached to it, and the Confederate flag obviously has huge power attached to it in regards to racial superiority etc in the context of American history.

As a civil war reenactor I'd say maybe 'bout the only way you could get away with it having a sticker on your car for example with both flags saying something like "I'd rather be reenacting the war between the states" or something like that. And even that's pushing it.

We do union so for us it's not an issue. :)

As a civil war reenactor I'd say maybe 'bout the only way you could get away with it having a sticker on your car for example with both flags saying something like "I'd rather be reenacting the war between the states" or something like that. And even that's pushing it.

We do union so for us it's not an issue. :)

My neighbor is a reenactor and he gets a lot of shit for being on the "wrong side". I get so confused about it though because how the fuck do people think a reenaction gets done if there are not both sides there to fight?

Guest Anonymous
But the Bates are smack in the middle of poverty--self-imposed pverty, but poverty none the less.

They also live in a Appalachia, which has historically been one of the poorest parts of that nation. I also think that Gil's salary while working a Nabsico didn't pay enough to fully support the family. So, I can see why they broke down and decided to let TLC give them their own show. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to support your family. To some small extent, I think this was also true for the Duggars, at least in the beginning when their first specials aired and before they morphed into what they are today.

Re: Erin having to attend a college music class with a sister-chaperone in tow, if I was the instuctor I would absolutely refuse that the chaperone sits in...Unless she also pays the rates.

Since it was a Christian college they're probably used to have chaperones sitting in...How awful that G and K mistrust E so much that she couldn't attend a piano college course on her own. And I'd be forever mad at G for vetoing that scholarship offer; but E has to "keep sweet". I hope she was angry at her dad for that one. :evil:

Some colleges don't allow non-students to sit it on classes. The college I attended didn't have that rule, but I remember a few instructors said that wanted to know in advance if students were bringing people to sit it on classes with them.

My neighbor is a reenactor and he gets a lot of shit for being on the "wrong side". I get so confused about it though because how the fuck do people think a reenaction gets done if there are not both sides there to fight?

Somebody has to play the bad guy. What creeps ME out though, are my friends who have Multiple Era Disorder and play Germans for WWII. Seeing the guys as SS seriously makes me nauseated and incredibly upset, seeing my FRIENDS dressed such... I've had panic attacks. I know its not rational, I know its not real, but its VERY unnerving. I'm actually planning on doing WWII, but doing a Jewish American Civillian impression and have education about what Jews "on the homefront" did for their relatives back in Europe. One of my friends gave me the idea and I was like OMG BRILLIANT!

... are my friends who have Multiple Era Disorder and play...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There isn't much difference between video games and computer games. Video games differ because they are formatted for different consoles and computer games are formatted for a computer. Both forms of games are created by the same people. A lot of videos games are available for consoles and PC's. The Racistville game isn't any different than video games. I believe it is an online game. Racistville is pretty much a rip off of Farmville which started on FB. FB games have proven to be just as addictive as console or regular computer games. The Duggars are hypocrites. I bet if a Christian video game was made for XBox or Wii, they would probably go out and buy a console and the game in hopes of being paid spokespeople.

Maybe they will make Left Behind: Eternal Forces for xbox! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behin ... nal_Forces

If you have to explain repeatedly how something you say or do "isn't really racist" - then it probably is racist and you should cut it out! this includes flying the confederate flag and hanging pictures od KKK founders

Guest Anonymous
"I get tireder, easier." Really, Kelly? No wonder your kids all sound like backwoods hicks.

People from the NE saying "youse" isn't any better. Bad grammar isn't limited to Appalachia or the South, and we are all guilty of using it. When I'm dealing with my boss and clients I use proper grammar, but in casual conversation with friends and family, the redneck bad grammar comes out. But, I get the point. Kelly should practice what she teaches...that is if she teaches it at all.

Guest Anonymous

No, it's racist period. But, I live in the South, and many people fly it to show "Southern Pride", and don't get how racist it is no matter how many times you try to tell them that it is). It also does not stand for both sides not wanting slavery back. The Confederate Flag was the official flag of the Confederate States of America which were slave holding states, and were considered traitors. So, if people are saying it's not racist and represents heroes on both sides, they are delusional.

They also live in a Appalachia, which has historically been one of the poorest parts of that nation. I also think that Gil's salary while working a Nabsico didn't pay enough to fully support the family. So, I can see why they broke down and decided to let TLC give them their own show. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to support your family. To some small extent, I think this was also true for the Duggars, at least in the beginning when their first specials aired and before they morphed into what they are today.

Too bad they didn't "break down" and start using birth control, instead of "breaking down" and exploiting their children. I don't feel sorry for them at all. It's clear they have no intentions of stopping.

Doing what you have to do to get by when you are poor includes getting rid of horses that you can't care for, not purposely having children you can't afford, and attempting to get other jobs. You should do all those things before you even consider exploiting your children for money. Gil and Kelly went with exploiting their kids first, so they are not doing what they have to do to support their family and they get no sympathy from me.

Archived