IGNORED

The Duggars screw over the Friendly Chapel/BATES EPISODE3/13

Buzzard

I know several non fundie families that don't like video games for different reasons. I knew a fundie lite family that was ok video games for the most part. I grew up in a family that got video games in the 80's with Atari and Coleco and then in the 90's we got into Nintendo and Playstation. We weren't video games addicts though. My parents didn't have time limits, but we had to have homework and chores done.

I think the Duggars have it in their heads that all people who have video game consoles at home are addicted to them. Some people are and others aren't. Some families have video game nights. I think Boob would be too cheap to buy consoles and games.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DId anyone notice when Michelle was talking about the Friendly Chapelm her eyes moved to the right? She kind of did that when she talked about Joy Anna, in the beginning. One of my professor's talked about how just looking at someone's eyes can help in determining whether they're making things up or speaking the truth. If they look to the left, it's the truth, but when it's to the right, it means they're being creative and coming up with things or "lies." Obviously, there is more to the eye movements than that but that is the general approach. If you noticed, when the Duggars are talking, they sometimes shift their eyes to the right, which means they are making up things. Like I said before, if they look to the left, generally, it means they are trying to remember something form the past.

I need to go back and watch older episodes to catch some of their lies.

I just noticed Jinger with a lie when she explained Joy Anna's driving skills or whatever. Granted, Jinger is the older siblings and will say sweet things but it just shows how they can get away with stuff with critics with their smiles and sweet talks.

Can someone explain to me the difference between a video game and a computer game? Aren't the Duggars promoting a computer game? Racistville, or whatever? This is the same thing as Michelle and the "cable TV is garbage" but they have a show on cable TV.

Hypocrites!

There isn't much difference between video games and computer games. Video games differ because they are formatted for different consoles and computer games are formatted for a computer. Both forms of games are created by the same people. A lot of videos games are available for consoles and PC's. The Racistville game isn't any different than video games. I believe it is an online game. Racistville is pretty much a rip off of Farmville which started on FB. FB games have proven to be just as addictive as console or regular computer games. The Duggars are hypocrites. I bet if a Christian video game was made for XBox or Wii, they would probably go out and buy a console and the game in hopes of being paid spokespeople.

Aw crap it just said Michelle is at 18wks. Fortunately there's not enough time to ruin her birthday episode.

And I will give Michelle this- much calmer than my mom when she had me do turns in the parking lot. :-/

The editing there was AWFUL. Joy's birthday is in OCTOBER, but the driving lesson was in late Nov/early Dec (don't remember Mullet's exact miscarriage date, but it had to be close if the crew was there, since they filmed the Dr. appt). The fish fry crap was also recycled, since we saw them there LAST SEASON. Except this time we find out that they went to a Church of the Nazarene and that the howlers did nothing (shocker, I know)

Can someone explain to me the difference between a video game and a computer game? Aren't the Duggars promoting a computer game? Racistville, or whatever? This is the same thing as Michelle and the "cable TV is garbage" but they have a show on cable TV.

Hypocrites!

Yes, and somewhere on their website they have a bunch of computer games (basic stuff like Breakout and next generation Pong) that are supposedly each child's favorite. Nothing is particularly education or Bible-related, and they are broken down as being gender specific despite the fact that they were run-of-the-mill, gender neutral computer games.

They are full of shit all around.

Hypocrites!

There really isn't any difference, especially now. Growing up, we were allowed to have computer games as long as they were educational. But even after we started to be allowed to have some non-educational games, my mom still wouldn't let a video game consol in the house, so there must have been some kind of difference, at least in her mind.

I actually think there's more of a difference between games you play on a consol or a computer and the type of games you find at places like where the Duggars went on the show. I guess I would maybe call those "arcade games."

Yes, and somewhere on their website they have a bunch of computer games (basic stuff like Breakout and next generation Pong) that are supposedly each child's favorite. Nothing is particularly education or Bible-related, and they are broken down as being gender specific despite the fact that they were run-of-the-mill, gender neutral computer games.

They are full of shit all around.

Yup they are full of shit. Having computer games is pretty much the same as having video games. The Duggars probably do ban certain computer games like Doom, Wolfenstien, and few others. I knew a fundie lite family that was addicted to a Civil War computer game. But this family was ok with certain console games.

I think the whole "Duggar Time" thing is selfish and disrespectful. I personally find habitual lateness infuriating. If I had to do business with any of those boobs, I would have a late clause in any contracts where if they were late they wouldn't get paid or had to pay me. Jerks.

Why do I get the sinking feeling that "Duggar Time" is intentional? You know, make everyone panic that 10 or 11 of the promised helpers aren't late, what to do now, oh here come the Duggars to save the day! Even though they should have been there on time. You get more personal attention when you're late.

DId anyone notice when Michelle was talking about the Friendly Chapelm her eyes moved to the right? She kind of did that when she talked about Joy Anna, in the beginning. One of my professor's talked about how just looking at someone's eyes can help in determining whether they're making things up or speaking the truth. If they look to the left, it's the truth, but when it's to the right, it means they're being creative and coming up with things or "lies." Obviously, there is more to the eye movements than that but that is the general approach. If you noticed, when the Duggars are talking, they sometimes shift their eyes to the right, which means they are making up things. Like I said before, if they look to the left, generally, it means they are trying to remember something form the past.

I need to go back and watch older episodes to catch some of their lies.

I just noticed Jinger with a lie when she explained Joy Anna's driving skills or whatever. Granted, Jinger is the older siblings and will say sweet things but it just shows how they can get away with stuff with critics with their smiles and sweet talks.

I dunno. Maybe left-handed people shift right when doing recall. I know I do both because I am conscious of it when I'm trying to recall during Jeopardy. Jinger is also left-handed. I've noticed that if the eyes roll straight back, they're DEFINITELY lying.

I got so frustrated with using their "Duggar time" as an excuse to be late to an event. Growing up, if we had to be somewhere, my parents would say to be around an hour or so before the event just to make sure we don't show up late. If you're a few minutes late, it's understandable, but the Duggars take pride in their lateness as if it's completely normal, which is completely disrespectful.

I don't care how many children they have nor do I care about how old they are but being late at every event as if it's a "no biggie" is lack of responsibility. If the older ones had a job, showing up 30 minutes late to their job would have cost them losing it for good.

From how Smuggar is with his car lot, he's putting up a "great" example of how to handle a business :roll:

Holy shit, I can't believe no one else caught this, but in one of the family group shots, Michaella is wearing a top that she fashioned out of the Confederate flag. I had to rewind because it ran by me as I was posting at TWOP, but for anyone who recorded it, it's around the 3 minute mark. A screencap would be appreciated (sorry, I don't have the technology).

eta: "I get tireder, easier." Really, Kelly? No wonder your kids all sound like backwoods hicks.

To be honest, when someone says that the Bates kids seem to have more personality than the Duggar kids, it says that maybe the Duggar kids just got squished more in the same system.

Liked how JB basically said that Hannie was a hellion but that he hoped she would grow up to be as sweet as Jana.

Forcing children into a strict mold is so horrible. It's one thing to shove a kid into a very large pool of being a good, law-abiding person while still allowing them to have their own personalities and interests, and quite another to force a child into a very tiny, specific mold down to deciding their interests for them, and finding anything else to be a horrible flaw in need of conditioning.

Hypocrites!

Haven't the Elder Duggars justified it as a way to perform outreach? The ends justify the means? And it doesn't hurt to make a little sumthin-sumthin for themselves while they're at it....

Yes, they are indeed hypocrites.

My thoughts on the Bates:

They seem less robotic and stiff than the D's, which makes them easier to watch. The D's seem like the have a stick up their butt so much of the time (Ma, Pa and the older girls esp.). The way Gil and Kelly sit and their body language just appears more natural.

By the way, what is up with the log cabin / Little House on the Prairie decor of the set where they do their interviews? Seriously, a butter churn?! And that gigantic rocking chair that looks like the ones I've seen in front of a Cracker Barrel?

I don't necessarily like the Bateses, but I DO like the fact that they admit they're not perfect. That's the only thing I admire about them. Would we ever hear that from Princess Mullet and JimBlob? Nope. The Duggars are always putting up a front. I think the Bateses are a bit more relaxed (well as relaxed as you can be for a fundie).

What made the Bates more "appealing" to watch is that they haven't become "stars" yet. Before J'chelle and JB became fame whores (as in when they first had the TV specials) I thought they were this quaint family with lots of kids (didn't know about their religious beliefs at that time). Now they are just like Jon and Kate and all the other "stars." Their show has become footage of them taking trips on TLC's dime. It's just boring. The Bates are new and just seem more home-y. I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not....I seem to be struggling to explain what I mean.

If they look to the left, it's the truth, but when it's to the right, it means they're being creative and coming up with things or "lies." Obviously, there is more to the eye movements than that but that is the general approach. If you noticed, when the Duggars are talking, they sometimes shift their eyes to the right, which means they are making up things. Like I said before, if they look to the left, generally, it means they are trying to remember something form the past.

I look to the right when I'm trying to remember something. I find it unnatural and almost a little bit painful to look to the left with my eyes. (Right-handed, too.)

I think the whole "Duggar Time" thing is selfish and disrespectful. I personally find habitual lateness infuriating. If I had to do business with any of those boobs, I would have a late clause in any contracts where if they were late they wouldn't get paid or had to pay me. Jerks.

I agree, chronic lateness is selfish. Sure, there are circumstances that cause people to be late once in a while (flat tire, over slept), but late everytime is different. I have a friend I no longer invite to lunch or breakfast because she is always 30-45 minutes late.

What made the Bates more "appealing" to watch is that they haven't become "stars" yet. Before J'chelle and JB became fame whores (as in when they first had the TV specials) I thought they were this quaint family with lots of kids (didn't know about their religious beliefs at that time). Now they are just like Jon and Kate and all the other "stars." Their show has become footage of them taking trips on TLC's dime. It's just boring. The Bates are new and just seem more home-y. I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not....I seem to be struggling to explain what I mean.

It does seem TLC is considering completely switching out the Duggars and and replacing them with the Bates lot. 19 Kids and Counting Mark II - The Bates.

The Duggars are practically mainstream now, so there is much less of a sideshow factor. And let's face it, people mostly watch these sorts of shows to peek in on situations and lifestyles that are very different from their own. But watching kids learning to drive or having their wisdom teeth pulled is boring enough the first time around. By the third, fourth, or fifth time, it's mind numbing. The only reason to watch the show now is to enjoy the editing, which is steadily showing the Duggars in a more negative light, most likely to keep folks like us out here tuned in to snark. (although I think that stuff last night about the sound and camera guys sleeping in the parking lot or wanting to bail on them was staged. Manufactured snark bait. Not that they probably aren‘t sick of them, but those scenes didn‘t seem genuine.)

With that said, the Bateses mostly creep me out, especially Gil. All that singing together is bizarre (let's face it, the Von Trapps they ain't) and I never trust anyone who gushes again and again about how he has the best life of anyone in the world. Triggers my bullshit meter big time.

What is so great about the Bateses? Okay, they might seem 'cute' but they're still espousing the exact same dangerous philosophy, mistreating animals and not allowing their daughters to pursue higher education.

What is so great about the Bateses? Okay, they might seem 'cute' but they're still espousing the exact same dangerous philosophy, mistreating animals and not allowing their daughters to pursue higher education.

Not to defend them here, but it isn't likely their sons are going to get much education either. I don't think Gil thinks much of book learnin'. (Or safety training, for that matter. Bucket trucks and power lines - not a good combo.)

I was surprised to see another pitifully thin horse last night. I thought TLC had scrubbed the earlier footage due to the well-deserved criticism over the condition of the horses on their property.

My guess is that TLC didn't think anyone could spot the ribs shining through in that split-second of footage shown. The earlier horse snippet showed the horse being ridden and from 3/4 front so the angle and fact he was covered by a saddle and person hid the ribs. (It didn't hide the glaringly rough coat)

Guest Anonymous

Re: Duggar Time...most of us would lose our jobs if we were consistently late for work, so perhaps the groups that "hire" them should deduct a certain time from the fee they pay them as a consequence of being late/

As for the Bateses...seriously the caterwauling that they call singing literally made me sick & made my feline headship leave the room. It wasn't the "twang" that bothered me. I'm in AL, so I hear it all them time. The problem is they just can't sing...at all! I also don't think there any better than the Duggars. If anything I find Gil to be just as arrogant (if not more so) than JB. As for Kelly....well...she just seems plain dumb to me.

Not to defend them here, but it isn't likely their sons are going to get much education either. I don't think Gil thinks much of book learnin'. (Or safety training, for that matter. Bucket trucks and power lines - not a good combo.)

I was surprised to see another pitifully thin horse last night. I thought TLC had scrubbed the earlier footage due to the well-deserved criticism over the condition of the horses on their property.

I was focusing on the daughters because I remember Erin Bates wasn't allowed to take up a scholarship. I'm certain they discourage education for the boys as well but I imagine they would dissuade the girls more because they basically see them as walking wombs.

Archived