IGNORED

The Duggars screw over the Friendly Chapel/BATES EPISODE3/13

Buzzard

Guest Anonymous
If you want to experience French Culture however much different from France you could visit Quebec or Louisiana. In 2008 Quebec City celebrated it's 400th birthday it's a very rich culture with yummy food, language etc. I'm not just saying that because it's my own. ;)

Good ideas...thanks!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good ideas...thanks!

I'm from there (Q.City) and live in Montréal so if you need any tips on places to visit (touristy things and other places more "off the beaten path") PM me.

I'm from there (Q.City) and live in Montréal so if you need any tips on places to visit (touristy things and other places more "off the beaten path") PM me.

My parents are both from the Gaspe area and when we'd go through Montreal as kids [my brother and I] we'd wait for "The tunnel" LOL

I also really liked visiting Ottawa and Gatineau

Guest Anonymous
They had a picture on their blog of this display they had made in their house and in it there was a large picture of Nathan Bedford Forrest a man who made a fortune in the slave trade, he became a commander in the Civil war and at one point killed hundreds of black Union soldiers. After the war he was the first Grand Wizard of the KKK.

When asked about this, the Bates didn't explain why they chose him or say that they didn't realize what a horrible person he was, they just erased the picture from their blog and acted like it was never there. Which I think shows they knew exactly who he was and still thought that he deserved a place of honor. Especially combined with one of their kids wearing Confederate flag shirts. I have no doubt they are racist.

I have to agree. At first I though they were of the ignorant Southern Pride variety. Not anymore. If it were a matter of ignorant Southern Pride, they probably wouldn't have taken it down & Kelly would have said that in her replies. Plus I wonder if TLC had anything to do with them taking it down since they were getting their own show.

If you want to experience French Culture however much different from France you could visit Quebec or Louisiana. In 2008 Quebec City celebrated it's 400th birthday it's a very rich culture with yummy food, language etc. I'm not just saying that because it's my own. ;)

The Cajun French culture in Louisiana is great. It's own brand of French language, yummy food, fun holidays... I love being from Louisiana.

Guest Anonymous

My parents are both from the Gaspe area and when we'd go through Montreal as kids [my brother and I] we'd wait for "The tunnel" LOL

I also really liked visiting Ottawa and Gatineau

Thanks...I've actually been to Toronto. My family went there while we were visiting relatives in Detroit. I was a little girl at the time, so don't remember much about it except the CN Tower and Casa Loma.

Guest Anonymous
The Cajun French culture in Louisiana is great. It's own brand of French language, yummy food, fun holidays... I love being from Louisiana.

Ok, Louisiana is now definitely on list of places to see.

I have to agree. At first I though they were of the ignorant Southern Pride variety. Not anymore. If it were a matter of ignorant Southern Pride, they probably wouldn't have taken it down & Kelly would have said that in her replies. Plus I wonder if TLC had anything to do with them taking it down since they were getting their own show.

But surely displaying that picture is okay because people say mean things about the south on tv sometimes?

I so hope that someone gets a screen shot of this and sends it to TMZ. Are there any screenshots of the Nathan Bedford Forrest photo they proudly displayed? Those two together would shatter the illusion of the Bates just being this sweet country family.

Can someone recall what part of the show this was on? I've got the rerun on the DVR and cant watch the whole crapshow again!

ooohhh... it would be interesting if they took it out this time. I did catch it last time (they flashed a still family photo, where Michaela was standing in the back wearing it- it looked like an older photo), but don't remember at what time.

ooohhh... it would be interesting if they took it out this time. I did catch it last time (they flashed a still family photo, where Michaela was standing in the back wearing it- it looked like an older photo), but don't remember at what time.

I havent seen any shots of old pics but I've been zooming through

Remembering the flack I got from saying I know the Bates family and that Michaela spells her name with only ONE 'L' may each of you take a look at the 'updates' on the Bates website and view the newest posting by 'Michaela.'

Apologies, anyone? I thought not.

And yet, in this entry: gilbatesfamily.com/2012/02/07/baby-19-has-arrived/

and this one: gilbatesfamily.com/2011/10/06/zach-on-the-road-again/

and this one: gilbatesfamily.com/2010/09/01/zach-21-and-michaella-20/

her named is spelled Michaella. So either Micheala doesn't know how to spell her own name, or her mother doesn't know how to spell her oldest daughter's name. Sad either way, but apparently you can't rely on the Bates blog to tell how to spell the kids' names.

Guest Anonymous
But surely displaying that picture is okay because people say mean things about the south on tv sometimes?

WTF? No, hanging a picture of the founder of the KKK is outright racist & ranks right up here the offensiveness of the Confederate Flag.

Late to the party, but how the hell did the Bates just skip over Jeb's NICU stay??? And my stupid recorder only got the last half hour - is it online anywhere yet?

And what is wrong with Johanna and Joy liking "tomboyish" things??

And speaking of which, if their birthdays are weeks apart, why do they always celebrate them together, especially as they're 8 years apart? Yeah, you have 19 kids, but if you have 19 kids you should be prepared to give them each individual attention.

My recollection is that you got "flak" for trying to insinuate that you were practically BFFs with the Bates family. If you check your record, you can see you even went so far as to claim you would be on their tv show specifically to give us the finger, and that we should watch for you.

Please feel free to hold your breath while waiting for an apology.

Edited for riffles

The apology is just what I thought it would be, but you will notice that I have not said anything nice about anybody since. I am learning. Actually Michaela's name is Michael which is what the kids called her on their special. And no, I don't know why her name is Micheal, but she is not the first female Michael I have known.

I think the point is, people thought you had it wrong because HER OWN MOTHER couldn't remember how to spell it. Do you still think these are nice people? What sort of mother can't remember how to spell her child's name?

Louisiana's culture is very interesting! In N-America Louisiana and Québec have a different civil code of laws than the other 49 states and 9 provinces. Remnants of the French regime...

I'd love to travel to New Orleans ("La Nouvelle-Orléans") one day, and spend some time visiting a couple of cemetaries there. They bury their dead "over ground". Plus the whole occult vibe in the city, the history, the music, the food and the "joie de vivre"!!

They also have excellent heavy and extreme metal bands such as EYEHATEGOD, DOWN, SOYLENT GREEN, GOATWHORE and ACID BATH-that band was sooooo unique...Too bad they broke up-. :twisted: Those bands share members like a game of musical chairs, :lol: In the late 80s I used to love EXHORDER; if one listens to one of their albums from that time you'll see where PANTERA got its influences for its "2nd life" from (almost plagiarism, lol). :liar: PANTERA's singer, Phil Anselmo, is a NOLA native and resident. Coincidence re: PANTERA (from CFH-on) and EXHORDER?? I think not!

Katrina slammed through in 2005 (I think??). Did the vibe of the city change for the worst since the hurricane?

Is NOLA an expensive place as far as hotel rooms, bars and restaurants go?

I think the point is, people thought you had it wrong because HER OWN MOTHER couldn't remember how to spell it. Do you still think these are nice people? What sort of mother can't remember how to spell her child's name?

What I think is the subject has just about been beaten to death. I can't believe I was debating about one 'L' or 'LL.'

Louisiana's culture is very interesting! In N-America Louisiana and Québec have a different civil code of laws than the other 49 states and 9 provinces. Remnants of the French regime...

I'd love to travel to New Orleans ("La Nouvelle-Orléans") one day, and spend some time visiting a couple of cemetaries there. They bury their dead "over ground". Plus the whole occult vibe in the city, the history, the music, the food and the "joie de vivre"!!

They also have excellent heavy and extreme metal bands such as EYEHATEGOD, DOWN, SOYLENT GREEN, GOATWHORE and ACID BATH-that band was sooooo unique...Too bad they broke up-. :twisted: Those bands share members like a game of musical chairs, :lol: In the late 80s I used to love EXHORDER; if one listens to one of their albums from that time you'll see where PANTERA got its influences for its "2nd life" from (almost plagiarism, lol). :liar: PANTERA's singer, Phil Anselmo, is a NOLA native and resident. Coincidence re: PANTERA (from CFH-on) and EXHORDER?? I think not!

Katrina slammed through in 2005 (I think??). Did the vibe of the city change for the worst since the hurricane?

Is NOLA an expensive place as far as hotel rooms, bars and restaurants go?

The price depends. You can find good deals in NOLA, and if you don't stay in the city (say in Metarie or Covington) it's not terribly expensive. It's totally worth it! But don't forget Cajun Country (Lafayette, Baton Rouge, etc). They have such a rich Cajun French heritage that is still very much a part of life!

ETA: And New Orleans has come back for the most part. Some people never came back, which is too bad. But the city that everyone knew of good food, creepy cemeteries (check out the one that used to be a racetrack!), jazz bands, and beignets with cafe au lait is just as good as it used to be.

Archived