IGNORED

The Duggars screw over the Friendly Chapel/BATES EPISODE3/13

Buzzard

What I said was I disagreed with her. I do understand where's she's coming from because I encounter people with that same opinion. Saying you understand something doesn't mean you agree with them. Let me make it even more clear. I know you think I'm a sexist, racist bitch. I understand that...meaning I know what you meant. It doesn't mean I agree with you....not by a long shot.

EDITED TO ADD: It also means I can disagree with her without being an angry bitch. But, since this is a snark board, I'm sure that's a foreign concept to many.

I'm not angry or acting bitchy. I don't think you are sexist anymore unless you lied about changing your opinion.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No

No, only in a way that I don't have to repeat myself a million times, but this has been explained over and over again, and you still don't get it. Speaking clearly does not mean giving up one's accent. But there again, you still don't get that.

Genie, I have the impression here that you are trying desperately to convince us that you are not racist, sexist or whatever. Thing is you are doing a very poor job of it.

I get the feeling that you don't see anything wrong with what you think, feel or say, because everyone around thinks, feels and says the same as you. The problem that you have is that you have come onto a multinational board full of people who see the ignorance in the things that you say, think and feel and now they are calling you out on it. I understand that you might not see the harm in how you are, obviously you wont if it has been that way your entire life, but here, right here now, you are being exposed to people from all over the world who can see that your attitude, that you think is normal, that might even be normal in your community, is offensive to everyone else.

All snark aside, you have come into the big wide world here, and your views have been challenged. I understand you don't like that, I understand that it may make you feel threatened and it probably makes you feel that you have to defend yourself. But instead of that, I ask you to take a close look at those views, that attitude, that thinking and try and look at from the point of view of people who have not been surrounded by it their whole lives. That is how alien it is to us. No matter how you explain it we will never accept it. So I ask you to really critically think about it.

We are seeing the hidden (and not so hidden) sexism in your views, we are seeing the hidden (and again not so hidden) racism in your views. Now these views might be normal for you and those around you, but they aren't for the rest of the world. Why do you think that is?

Give it some thought.

Genie, I have the impression here that you are trying desperately to convince us that you are not racist, sexist or whatever. Thing is you are doing a very poor job of it.

I get the feeling that you don't see anything wrong with what you think, feel or say, because everyone around thinks, feels and says the same as you. The problem that you have is that you have come onto a multinational board full of people who see the ignorance in the things that you say, think and feel and now they are calling you out on it. I understand that you might not see the harm in how you are, obviously you wont if it has been that way your entire life, but here, right here now, you are being exposed to people from all over the world who can see that your attitude, that you think is normal, that might even be normal in your community, is offensive to everyone else.

All snark aside, you have come into the big wide world here, and your views have been challenged. I understand you don't like that, I understand that it may make you feel threatened and it probably makes you feel that you have to defend yourself. But instead of that, I ask you to take a close look at those views, that attitude, that thinking and try and look at from the point of view of people who have not been surrounded by it their whole lives. That is how alien it is to us. No matter how you explain it we will never accept it. So I ask you to really critically think about it.

We are seeing the hidden (and not so hidden) sexism in your views, we are seeing the hidden (and again not so hidden) racism in your views. Now these views might be normal for you and those around you, but they aren't for the rest of the world. Why do you think that is?

Give it some thought.

Gently said.

Guest Anonymous

On this thread I have said that the Confederate Flag is racist, and I don't condone. But being from AL, I see it everywhere. Those that fly it are either outright racist and are flying it to be such. Others see it as a "southern pride" and part of history thing and don't think it's racist no matter how many times you try to tell them that. I chose not to be a bitch jump on on Francine because it seemed to me that she fell into the later category.

Guest Anonymous

Give it some thought.

Point taken, and maybe to some extent you're right. I will tone it down, and try to stay away from threads like this where I know my expressing my point of view leads to nothing but pointless arguing and name calling. I know, I know I have said that before, and you have no reason believe me. But I will try.

Wait, after calling us a bunch of cyber bullies who were as bad and crazy as the fundies you are just going to go to other threads and post like none of that happened? Really?!

Too soon for gloating rights on "called it"?

I.e. backpedaling, pretending to take a long time to think about it and change her mind, apologize, and then start all over again on another topic (for the record, my money is still on homophobia).

Guest Anonymous

This time I only apologized for 2 remarks, the shit stirring troll and the cyberbulling things. As for the rest, I said I see everyone's point. I did not backpedal or apologize. As for homophobia, you're wrong. Other people's love/sex lives are none of my business. I think no less of someone because they're gay, lesbian, bi, or transgender. They should be entitled to the same rights as everyone else, and that includes marriage.

Guest Anonymous
Wait, after calling us a bunch of cyber bullies who were as bad and crazy as the fundies you are just going to go to other threads and post like none of that happened? Really?!

Didn't I say from the get-go that I wasn't going anywhere?

Didn't I say from the get-go that I wasn't going anywhere?

Yes, but it is weird to claim to be a Christian and then stay and participate in something you claimed was cyber bullying or be a shit stirring troll. That post was written before you said you were drunk when writing all that.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, but it is weird to claim to be a Christian and then stay and participate in something you claimed was cyber bullying or be a shit stirring troll. That post was written before you said you were drunk when writing all that.

No Christian is perfect and we all make mistakes, and I did apologize for the cyber bulling & shit stirring troll comment. I know I'm at the top of everybody's shit list and a big fat hypocrite. Trust me, every comment I'm reading about me reminds of that, and I know that expect to be called out on everything I have said for quite some time. The way I see it, I can either continue beating a dead horse, simmer down, or just leave. I'm choosing #2.

I realize no Christian is perfect, but your reactions both times to when people challenge your beliefs has been over the top. I hope you don't avoid threads that challenge what you already believe, because it looks like you need that to happen with some of your beliefs. And I hope that you do go and try and learn new languages and in doing so you learn to have some compassion towards immigrants who come here.

I also hope you keep reading the threads that challenge your views, geniebelle, it seems like you might need that.

That said, do you speak with an accent at all, geniebelle? There is a distinct Alabama dialect; even my friends from wealthier parts of Bham speak with it, though they have been exposed to people with no remarkable accent at all (much like myself; I have no accent despite growing up in SC). You might be less than crystal clear to someone learning to speak English who only hears English speakers like myself rather than an accented version. Should we be forcing people to adopt dialect in order to be "more clear"? That argument just seems to hold no water... it took me six years of French to learn the correct French dialect, you cannot just learn dialect overnight.

Remembering the flack I got from saying I know the Bates family and that Michaela spells her name with only ONE 'L' may each of you take a look at the 'updates' on the Bates website and view the newest posting by 'Michaela.'

Apologies, anyone? I thought not.

I didn't call you out on that, I called you out on the fact that you are acting like they are this nice family when they are people that place a KKK leader's picture in a place of honor in the their home, neglect their horses, and exploit their children for money.

And wasn't the reason you got flack was because Kelly spelled it with two "L"s a couple of times? People would assume that a mother would know how to spell her child's name.

I also hope you keep reading the threads that challenge your views, geniebelle, it seems like you might need that.

That said, do you speak with an accent at all, geniebelle? There is a distinct Alabama dialect; even my friends from wealthier parts of Bham speak with it, though they have been exposed to people with no remarkable accent at all (much like myself; I have no accent despite growing up in SC). You might be less than crystal clear to someone learning to speak English who only hears English speakers like myself rather than an accented version. Should we be forcing people to adopt dialect in order to be "more clear"? That argument just seems to hold no water... it took me six years of French to learn the correct French dialect, you cannot just learn dialect overnight.

Everybody has an accent.

Remembering the flack I got from saying I know the Bates family and that Michaela spells her name with only ONE 'L' may each of you take a look at the 'updates' on the Bates website and view the newest posting by 'Michaela.'

Apologies, anyone? I thought not.

My recollection is that you got "flak" for trying to insinuate that you were practically BFFs with the Bates family. If you check your record, you can see you even went so far as to claim you would be on their tv show specifically to give us the finger, and that we should watch for you.

Please feel free to hold your breath while waiting for an apology.

Edited for riffles

I didn't call you out on that, I called you out on the fact that you are acting like they are this nice family when they are people that place a KKK leader's picture in a place of honor in the their home, neglect their horses, and exploit their children for money.

And wasn't the reason you got flack was because Kelly spelled it with two "L"s a couple of times? People would assume that a mother would know how to spell her child's name.

I bolded part - WHAT?!

They had a picture on their blog of this display they had made in their house and in it there was a large picture of Nathan Bedford Forrest a man who made a fortune in the slave trade, he became a commander in the Civil war and at one point killed hundreds of black Union soldiers. After the war he was the first Grand Wizard of the KKK.

When asked about this, the Bates didn't explain why they chose him or say that they didn't realize what a horrible person he was, they just erased the picture from their blog and acted like it was never there. Which I think shows they knew exactly who he was and still thought that he deserved a place of honor. Especially combined with one of their kids wearing Confederate flag shirts. I have no doubt they are racist.

Everybody has an accent.

Yes, thank you boogaloo! I meant to respond to that earlier and forgot. Saying me doesn't have an accent is essentially saying that your way of speaking is the god given, official gold standard of how to speak. Since that does not exist, everyone has an accent. If one grew up in SC, I am quite sure if going to Liverpool, Sydney, or Vancouver you would quickly be told you had an accent.

That said, do you speak with an accent at all, geniebelle?

Yeah, this is a very American-centric comment. Of course she has an accent! Everyone does. :lol:

They had a picture on their blog of this display they had made in their house and in it there was a large picture of Nathan Bedford Forrest a man who made a fortune in the slave trade, he became a commander in the Civil war and at one point killed hundreds of black Union soldiers. After the war he was the first Grand Wizard of the KKK.

When asked about this, the Bates didn't explain why they chose him or say that they didn't realize what a horrible person he was, they just erased the picture from their blog and acted like it was never there. Which I think shows they knew exactly who he was and still thought that he deserved a place of honor. Especially combined with one of their kids wearing Confederate flag shirts. I have no doubt they are racist.

Yet mostly everyone thinks they are cute - they play the dumb redneck thing well but it hides dangerous ideas. I wonder how they'd react if one of their kids met a non-white perspective mate at an ATI conference or is the movement almost entirely white?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, this is a very American-centric comment. Of course she has an accent! Everyone does. :lol:

Of course I have an accent, and yes everybody has one. I will probably being basic Spanish course later this summer, and I'm looking into the links another poster gave me for French and German. At this point it's a moot point now, since the diagnosis I got from my doctor yesterday will make flying and heavy travel practically impossible. Karma as definitely bitten me on the ass. Sorry, TMI and not a sympathy post. Anyway, I'm still going to check out the links anyway.

If you want to experience French Culture however much different from France you could visit Quebec or Louisiana. In 2008 Quebec City celebrated it's 400th birthday it's a very rich culture with yummy food, language etc. I'm not just saying that because it's my own. ;)

Archived