IGNORED

The Duggars screw over the Friendly Chapel/BATES EPISODE3/13

Buzzard

Doing what you have to do to get by when you are poor includes getting rid of horses that you can't care for, not purposely having children you can't afford, and attempting to get other jobs. You should do all those things before you even consider exploiting your children for money. Gil and Kelly went with exploiting their kids first, so they are not doing what they have to do to support their family and they get no sympathy from me.

As a former Gothard victim, I would expect you to know that "doing what you have to do to get by when you are poor" is limited to praying to the Lord, opening your womb, and waiting for your problems to solve themsevles.

For example, when you can't afford to buy clothes for your children, if you pray hard enough, someone will drop off bags of used clothes at your house. And other people's castoffs are just as good as earning your own money and buying what you want. Paying attention to fashion trends or proper fit is just immodest. ;)

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Koala & formergothardite...you are right on both points. I was just saying given their current financial situation. What would also help would be to allow the adult children to move out & start living their own lives. But of course that won't happen until Daddy Gil picks out a husband or wife for them or unless one or more of them decide to break free. Unlike the Duggars or Kellers, I don't think the Bates kids have anyone to turn to for support.

As a former Gothard victim, I would expect you to know that "doing what you have to do to get by when you are poor" is limited to praying to the Lord, opening your womb, and waiting for your problems to solve themsevles.

For example, when you can't afford to buy clothes for your children, if you pray hard enough, someone will drop off bags of used clothes at your house. And other people's castoffs are just as good as earning your own money and buying what you want. Paying attention to fashion trends or proper fit is just immodest. ;)

That is true. I obviously have lost my faith in God with doing godless things like having insurance and making sure that we have a steady income so we can care for our kids. I'm sure if we just dropped all this silly "go to work" mess and started praying we would do just fine.

Guest Anonymous

But I have to wonder if Gothard and other gurus would see his sheep parading around in front of the camera as a way to lure people into the movement? Those of you who have left Gothard/ATI/VF, do you think that's a possibility?

Some thoughts after watching 19 kids and the Bates special:

-The Bates girls all seem to have their own style. Micheala looks very "old" for her age, but after seeing her more done up sisters, this has to be her choice.

-Bates kids all play different instruments, unlike the Duggars 15 violins of terror. I'm not a Bates supporter, or believer that they are "better" than the Duggars, but there has to be something to the fact that they let their kids have individual interests.

-The Bates special seems to be much more closely edited to hide any ATI references or behavior. Maybe TLC noticed their mistake in showing more of the religious/political views of the Duggars causing them to lose ratings?

The Bates are tied with the Duggars in how little respect I have for them taking advantage of their teen/adult children. I typically don't watch either show because Michelles baby talk makes me queasy and I would rather watch paint dry than see the Bates again.

The next time I get the urge to watch these people on TV, there will be a drinking game for every Christian cliche heard. "What a blessing!" "Fellowship"

Doing what you have to do to get by when you are poor includes getting rid of horses that you can't care for, not purposely having children you can't afford, and attempting to get other jobs. You should do all those things before you even consider exploiting your children for money. Gil and Kelly went with exploiting their kids first, so they are not doing what they have to do to support their family and they get no sympathy from me.

It will be interesting to see how the Bates family changes once their show starts.

When both families were lined up in the rerun before the special, it was very noticable how the Duggar girls were wearing much shorter skirts and more "fashionable" clothing. While I'm not too surprised, it seems like ATI would want to tell people to NOT sell out for money... but then again anything can be twisted with greed. "God is providing for us through this opportunity AND we can spread our message!"

So, the questions remains: WILL IT SURVIVE?

To the uninitiated we saw

a loving couple that still has one on one time

a husband who loves and (seems to) respect his wife

obedient children

a happy family that sits around and prays/sings/plays together

Children that choose to hang around and interact with one another in a "godly wholesome way" - the stupid ball game, singing etc

The majority of people that are drawn to this lifestyle are trying to fix problems in their lives. Maybe their children wont listen, their husband ignores or beats them, their house is a wreck and life isnt happy.

They see in this family, and the Duggars, their salvation. They too can be happy and perfect and loving and :puke-front: if they just follow jesus, pull their kids from school, cut the chord to the TV, and follow gothard. All the sheeple on the 19KAC page will eat this shit up. The Duggars have lost their innocence and TLC has found it in the Bateses.

Some thoughts after watching 19 kids and the Bates special:

-The Bates girls all seem to have their own style. Micheala looks very "old" for her age, but after seeing her more done up sisters, this has to be her choice.

-Bates kids all play different instruments, unlike the Duggars 15 violins of terror. I'm not a Bates supporter, or believer that they are "better" than the Duggars, but there has to be something to the fact that they let their kids have individual interests.

-The Bates special seems to be much more closely edited to hide any ATI references or behavior. Maybe TLC noticed their mistake in showing more of the religious/political views of the Duggars causing them to lose ratings?

The Bates are tied with the Duggars in how little respect I have for them taking advantage of their teen/adult children. I typically don't watch either show because Michelles baby talk makes me queasy and I would rather watch paint dry than see the Bates again.

The next time I get the urge to watch these people on TV, there will be a drinking game for every Christian cliche heard. "What a blessing!" "Fellowship"

I noticed this too. I think it is at least good that the Bateses allow their kids to have their own individual interests. I think the Bates kids are better musicians than the Duggar kids. I don't think they are extremely great, but they don't sound awful like the violins of terror.

So, the questions remains: WILL IT SURVIVE?

To the uninitiated we saw

a loving couple that still has one on one time

a husband who loves and (seems to) respect his wife

obedient children

a happy family that sits around and prays/sings/plays together

Children that choose to hang around and interact with one another in a "godly wholesome way" - the stupid ball game, singing etc

The majority of people that are drawn to this lifestyle are trying to fix problems in their lives. Maybe their children wont listen, their husband ignores or beats them, their house is a wreck and life isnt happy.

They see in this family, and the Duggars, their salvation. They too can be happy and perfect and loving and if they just follow jesus, pull their kids from school, cut the chord to the TV, and follow gothard. All the sheeple on the 19KAC page will eat this shit up. The Duggars have lost their innocence and TLC has found it in the Bateses.

So true! It's presented as looking so idyllic and folksy and loving, that it's easy for us sheeple to fall for it!

People from the NE saying "youse" isn't any better. Bad grammar isn't limited to Appalachia or the South, and we are all guilty of using it. When I'm dealing with my boss and clients I use proper grammar, but in casual conversation with friends and family, the redneck bad grammar comes out. But, I get the point. Kelly should practice what she teaches...that is if she teaches it at all.

If Kelly has a camera in her face, she should be a little more conscious about what comes out of her mouth. She has a college degree, although how legit the schools Gil and Kelly attended are. She should know better. She doesn't seem to have been raised culturally poor; her family looks to be solidly middle class. I've never heard that particular colloquilism before. No excuses.

"Youse" is practically a cliche of the lower/lower-middle class Northeast Italian who hasn't been exposed to different environments. Then again, "cosmopolitan" for the Bateses is Nashville.

Gil Bates creeped me out a bit. In every shot he was all over Kelly, touching her, kissing her and even making sex jokes when they went on their honeymoon celebration. It was a bit too much.

http://crushable.com/entertainment/mich ... esson-278/

Crushable updated their this-miscarriage-is-taking-forever article.

Gil Bates creeped me out a bit. In every shot he was all over Kelly, touching her, kissing her and even making sex jokes when they went on their honeymoon celebration. It was a bit too much.

I agree. Every couple I've personally known that showcases their relationship like that has ended up getting divorced or stuck in a very unhappy marriage.

Too bad they didn't "break down" and start using birth control, instead of "breaking down" and exploiting their children. I don't feel sorry for them at all. It's clear they have no intentions of stopping.

At this point, it wouldn't matter. Birth control might prevent a few extra mouths but it isn't going to get rid of the 21 they already have to feed. Besides Kelly only has a few years of baby making left in her.

http://crushable.com/entertainment/michelle-duggar-miscarriage-18-weeks-joy-anna-driving-lesson-278/

Crushable updated their this-miscarriage-is-taking-forever article.

I agree. Every couple I've personally known that showcases their relationship like that has ended up getting divorced or stuck in a very unhappy marriage.

Its kind of like how the most vocal anti anything people are generally harboring those tendencies. If youre all that googly eyed, its because youre forcing yourself to be.

Its kind of like how the most vocal anti anything people are generally harboring those tendencies. If youre all that googly eyed, its because youre forcing yourself to be.

QFT. Good friend of mine was doing this and the worse her marriage got, the more oogly googly she got over him.

If Kelly has a camera in her face, she should be a little more conscious about what comes out of her mouth. She has a college degree, although how legit the schools Gil and Kelly attended are.

Please, the college they attended is not a fly-by-night proprietary school. Just because it is "Christian" does not mean it intentionally produces illiterates any more than anything with State in it's name does. Both went to normal public or Christian schools before college. Neither was brought up the way they are bringing up their children. Because they didn't go to an Ivy League school doesn't make them truly stupid. Yes, they speak with an accent--they are from the SOUTH and they now live in TENNESSEE. It happens. I've even heard one Harvard educated attorney say "y'all" and "fixin" after too many years there! Like people in New York or Boston don't "talk funny?" Come on.

Please, the college they attended is not a fly-by-night proprietary school. Just because it is "Christian" does not mean it intentionally produces illiterates any more than anything with State in it's name does. Both went to normal public or Christian schools before college. Neither was brought up the way they are bringing up their children. Because they didn't go to an Ivy League school doesn't make them truly stupid. Yes, they speak with an accent--they are from the SOUTH and they now live in TENNESSEE. It happens. I've even heard one Harvard educated attorney say "y'all" and "fixin" after too many years there! Like people in New York or Boston don't "talk funny?" Come on.

You sound awfully defensive about Kelly and Gil's school... for not providing any actual details about "it's" name or reputation. ;)

You sound awfully defensive about Kelly and Gil's school... for not providing any actual details about "it's" name or reputation. ;)

Does it matter? I'm from the south and I'm a little uncomfortable about how we're all portrayed as yokels all the time.

I am so happy I am not the only one who saw Michealla in the confederate flag shirt. I thought it was just me.

I did enjoy their opening better than the Duggars. Alyssa looked very nice on her birthday. The purple blouse was very pretty. She seems to be the one in the family with a real sense of style. I am not into hunting but I am happy Alyssa got the chance to go, if that is what she really wanted. She seems very open, which you rarely see with the Duggars. I want to send Alyssa away to college. She seems like someone who would join and be president of a million school clubs.

At least it appears that Kelly enjoys her kids, unlike Michelle. The kids actually have sheets on their beds and sleep in pajamas. Wait, Kelly helps with the laundry? Based on Michelle's life, mothers don't do anything around the house but make babies. Kelly seems to be into Gil as much as he seems to be into her, unlike the Duggars, where Jim Bob is obviously madly in love with Michelle and she seems indifferent to him.

I will say that they do seem like a somewhat happier bunch than the Duggars. Of course the TLC curse has yet to hit them. I really enjoyed the kids, they seem much more likeable than the Duggars as a whole. I wish I could like Gil and Kelly more but I can never get past the fact that they made Erin turn down the college scholarship to an accredited university. The rinky dink unaccredited college that Erin sometimes attends cannot take the place of a real education. I just cannot understand not wanting your child to have the chance to reach their full potential. Having Lawson regularly have to pay for food, if not other things, annoys me to no end.

I hope Gil has life insurance because tree-trimming seems highly dangerous. What was with closing the door in front of the cameras at the cabin? Why must fundies always make sure we know that they are having sex? When you have eighteen kids and one on the way, we assume you have sex.

Free Alyssa and Lawson!

Agreed! My first marriage was a mess (gay husband with issues will do that to a marriage). I tried to do everything in my power to be a good wife, play up the romance and fawn over him. I stumbled upon an old email last week and felt a bit nauseous of how I allowed myself to resort to baby talk. The marriage wasn't based on anything but us needing someone else to be there for us and wanting to feel loved.

When a couple is together for the purpose of reproducing and because they feel a spiritual obligation to marry what is the relationship really based on?

These quiverful families have plenty in common in appearances; Kids, church, "morals". But what do the couples really have in common? Were they forced into this lifestyle out of guilt from their church for past sin? Obligation to breed? They have to be faking on some level. I have heard people in arranged marriages say that they had to learn to love their spouse and it can take 5, 10 years to feel that connection. How much do Josh and Anna really have in common... What could they possibly talk about on date night?

Forgive my sweeping generalizations here and rambling thoughts :-)

I have a hard time getting past how phony Jim Bob and Michelle/Gil and Kelly seem.

I so hope someone gets a screenshot of the Confederate flag shirt. They are going to have to hide their racism better if they are going to be as accepted as the Duggars.

I'm pretty sure I saw the baby in a confederate flag outfit towards the end of the show. Michaella's shirt was horrendous!

Can't find the Bates special on line anywhere. Anyone know if it's out there somewhere? Also noticed that the new Episodes of "19 Kids" are now missing from Amazon Instant--maybe it's a temporary thing?

Confederate Flag shirt--well with Nathan Bedrod Forrest Bates and Jeb Stuart Bates I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Can't find the Bates special on line anywhere. Anyone know if it's out there somewhere? Also noticed that the new Episodes of "19 Kids" are now missing from Amazon Instant--maybe it's a temporary thing?

Confederate Flag shirt--well with Nathan Bedrod Forrest Bates and Jeb Stuart Bates I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

Not that it makes it any better to name your child after a founder of the KKK, but are the Bates by any chance related to Forrest or have a family connection to a historical event?

*EDIT: O.k. realized that TWO confederate generals makes this very unlikely.

Archived