IGNORED

Baby sleeping in the bathroom

Ridiculous

I thought bilingual kids did really have speech delays - they babble & make individual words like every other kid but it takes the sentences/grammar take longer.

I'm clueless. I had an only one language child who acquired language rapidly.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just sickens me that there are people in the world who WANT children and who would be GOOD parents and there are all of these children suffering from having IDIOT FUNDIE parents. :angry-cussingblack:

These people are so judgmental about daycares, but at the daycares where I have worked, the people who take care of babies actually HOLD the babies to feed them their bottles and cuddle and play with them!

I thought bilingual kids did really have speech delays - they babble & make individual words like every other kid but it takes the sentences/grammar take longer.

My 2 younger grandsons are bilingual and are developmentally on track in all areas. I've read that living in a bilingual home works best if one parent speaks only one language and the other speaks only one language. That's what my son and his wife do.

My older son went to an immersion school. The parents were told that reading would be delayed somewhat compared to one language kids but by 4th or 5th grade they immersion kids were at grade evel.

Does the Dad in this case speak Polish at home? Still, that shouldn't account for the delays. And the toddler is delayed in other areas too.

I don't think so, either. Most babywearing moms can't wait to show you their sling and brag about the brand or the way they tie it or some such thing. I think if she wore the baby, she'd be talking about it and posting photos of it, for sure.

That is the truth! I babywear and I have owned over 4 slings/wraps in her short life. (she's 10 months) When I saw the pic of the propped bottle I gasped and showed it to my DH. He shook his head sadly and said, "That baby needs parents who truly love him."

He's 18 months old now. He was 8 months in the post where all he ate was apple and yogurt.

I was thinking he was closer to a year.

Linnea, I love your name. it's my favorite cousin's name. Do you collect Linnea in Monet's Garden items?

I would treat anybody else's baby (don't have any myself) with far more love and compassion than this bitch demonstrates to her own. Heck, I have. Isn't part of the fun of having a baby the interactions you have with them? I...I...don't get it.

FUCK THIS ARGUMENT I FUCKING HATE IT

In my opinion, people who love you may not want to live without you, but they also consider and realize how much it would hurt you to lose them. Fuck that selfish "I want to die first" shit.

Also she's a terrible mother. At best she is doing that baby a terrible disservice by bottle-propping and laying him on his back all the time.

He doesn't want to live without her because it means he would have to do cooking, and cleaning, and take care of himself for once.

These people are so judgmental about daycares, but at the daycares where I have worked, the people who take care of babies actually HOLD the babies to feed them their bottles and cuddle and play with them!

I'm a daycare worker. In my state it is written into the childcare codes that we have to hold a child while bottle feeding them.

I think the baby was 8 months old when she posted about feeding him an apple and some yogurt.

Leaving your baby in a crib or a homemade cage all day and letting him lie alone all the time with a bottle is a good way to create language delays. He can probably catch up, but it sounds like he is not/has not been getting the attention and stimulation that most children get. It is not necessarily the cause, but it is certainly a risk factor.

I've known numerous day care workers and every single day care facility I've heard of has a rule that babies must be held while they're taking a bottle. Not only for safety reasons, but it's the prime opportunity for the baby to bond with someone.

Thoughts while reading a couple of her various posts:

HOLY SHIT, ELECTRIC RAZOR WHILE BABY IS SITTING IN WATER?! I can't even...please, if there is a god, protect that little one from his aggressively stupid parents.

Why is that child sleeping in a pack n play full time? Babies need mattresses just like adults do. Is he still sleeping in there?

The bathroom? Really?

Blind cords, dishwashers, sitting on an elevated surface, pillows during naptime, SHAVING HIS HEAD WITH AN ELECTRIC RAZOR WHILE HE'S SITTING IN WATER - all bad ideas.

Why did she have to do all the changing for her husband? She HAD to weigh in under a certain amount, she HAD to get rid of her harmless TV shows, did he have to change or get rid of anything he liked when they got married?

I can't read much more of her, you guys. Have you seen her "defend" herself in her comments, especially the one where she used an ELECTRIC RAZOR with him sitting in WATER? "Smug bitch" were the words that sprang to mind.

Ugh! I can't stand kids, and it breaks my heart to see this little kid in this home where his mother clearly resents him.

Developmental delays? Probably, if her earlier blog posts have any true depiction of their lives, was caused by lack of interaction.

GOOD parents talk to their little babies all day. While you're walking around at the store, or eating food, you're saying things like "look at the orange butterfly!" or "look at that other baby over there!" And you say it like a normal person, not in truncated, cooing, nonsense baby talk.

Sitting boredly on your couch absent-mindedly giving a bottle while being hooked to your Twitter? I guaran-damn-tee she wasn't making conversation with that child. I get the feeling that was a silent house for much of the day.

Studies show if you talk to your child and read to your child, often and with variety, they will for the most part pick up the language skills easily. Yes it takes effort, and most of the time you feel like you're talking to yourself, because obviously your two month old can doo little more than stare back at you and maybe smile. But it's important. And I'm speculating, but I don't think she did that.

Linnea, I love your name. it's my favorite cousin's name. Do you collect Linnea in Monet's Garden items?

No, I hadn't heard of that book until recently. It's my middle name IRL, and a name that's been in my family for generations.

When she has a free moment, she plays Dance Dance Revolution while he sits in a walker. I mean, I like DDR and all, but you have to put the kids first. Read him a book, or take him out to play in the snow.

The LDS Church puts such a huge emphasis on mothers staying home, and this is an example of why that is not always a good idea. This woman could be a lot happier with the baby in daycare and time to focus on her career. She might be a more attentive mother if she was not stuck in the house all day. Some people just cannot take it.

I log 11 or more hours on the computer per day between school and work. But I do most of that between actually taking care of the baby. I breastfeed him and co-sleep so he gets held a lot, he likes to bring me books to read and he gets a nice walk every day. I will let the house and leisure time suffer before I let the kids go without attention.

GOOD parents talk to their little babies all day. While you're walking around at the store, or eating food, you're saying things like "look at the orange butterfly!" or "look at that other baby over there!" And you say it like a normal person, not in truncated, cooing, nonsense baby talk.

Actually, I think parents do tend to speak with a more exaggerated inflection and enunciate more when talking to babies. And also imitate what the baby says, and respond to it as if it has meaning and the baby is making conversation. That's what I wanted to hear from the mom when I was watching the video: "Really? Do you like those shampoo bottles? And are you a cute baby?" I found the lack of it so disturbing, I practically started saying it myself.

But no, talking to a baby is not just babbling random nonsense syllables.

It really, really bothers me that people are blaming the mom for her son's delays. The odds are that she had nothing to do with it.

I am not blaming her. It could be anything, really, or even nothing. But the way she has parented him is a major risk factor for delays. The two *could* be connected. This is not to say that a child's delays are usually caused by the parent. If you never interact with a child, they might end up behind peers who get more attention, that's all.

Maybe I'm generalizing too much from watching that one video, but her lack of response just jumped out at me. When I see that, and read that her child's speech is delayed, I can't help thinking there's a correlation.

"Working in the kitchen can be hard because I frequently find this hanging off my leg."

That comment made me so sad. As difficult as it can be to get things done with a toddler I wouldn't ever put it like that :(

Yes, it is a state regulation, here, too, that babies must be held to be fed. And I was saying that, from my time actually working in daycares, people follow this rule always. And it is also regulated that we must take them outside every day and must not leave them lying around in a "cage" type contraption!

And you know what? Most people who work in the baby rooms in daycares actually...LIKE BABIES. They like interacting with them and wouldn't rather be staring at a computer all the time.

His little face when she said "See? All I had to do was peek over the edge to get this reaction." broke my heart. :( All babies are happy to see their mothers. That face should have been seen in most of the pictures because he could see her on the opposite side of the camera. That face said that he knew she was finally going to spend time with him for a whole 10 minutes before he's back in the bathroom. Don't even get me started on the bottle propping!

I was going to comment on the fact that her apartment was very clean for a house with a baby but keeping him in containers so much of the day I guess it would be.

Oh. My. GAWD. This post made my jaw hit the floor, there are just so many things in it that made me want to shriek in horror. I know most of it has been covered, but I'll add in my horrified thoughts and observations on a couple of areas.

1. Sleeping in the bathroom: Seriously, do these people not realize that no matter how much you scrub, there are still disgusting germs in there? Did she not read or hear the info about how many germs fly into the air when you flush the toilet? And she's cool with that being on her baby's "bed". Alrighty then.

2. Just how long has he had a pillow for??? Even 8 months is TOOOOOO young for a pillow! DS is 9 months, no freaking way will I be giving him a pillow anytime soon.

3. I can kinda see how the poor kid would need some cushioning, despite the pillow dangers - he needs an actual crib, with a mattress, not something that's for occasional use. YDS did sleep in the bassinet in the PnP for a couple of months, but he was inside of a cosleeper (coming up in my next observation) during that time. That was b/c he and I slept in the living room; I was pumping ever 3 hours along with doing mixed feedings (low supply from previous surgeries) and didn't want to wake the rest of the family up (plus I could watch movies while I pumped and nursed and fed).

4. Did anyone see her "change table"??? Frankly, I don't care where a baby is changed - I change them wherever it's convenient, on the couch, bed, blanket on the floor, whatever. But she has a cosleeper balanced on what looks like a shelf or something:b42c692.jpeg

That's just begging to tip over as soon as the baby wiggles (even if that baby isn't using it now, you know the next one will be), or even if it doesn't. Those are meant to be used on a surface such as a bed or a crib, to contain a (SMALL) baby, not to support the weight of a baby, or the size of a larger baby. And it's not so priceless that it broke them and must be used for years to pay for itself - you can get one for $40.00 or so. That makes me flinch, just looking at that pic.

Her whole blog is like the poster they showed us in parenting class in high school, asking us to point out the potential hazards to babies and young children.

I loved holding my kids while they ate. DS and I didn't do breastfeeding well (not a good support system to help me at the time). DD was breastfed until she decided she wanted to stop and switch to solid food at 8 months.

I adored feeding my kiddos. Both would gaze at me and snuggle. It was lovely. DS would stroke my cheek while he ate. WOnderful time for me and them.

Archived