IGNORED

Baby sleeping in the bathroom

Ridiculous

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard that bilingual children develop language at a different pace in the first few years. However, she noted that there are cognitive delays as well. Those would not be caused by a bilingual home. I have had friends who raised their children bilingual and it did take them longer to master both languages than if they were learning one. Yet they were cognitively normal. By age 5, they were fluent speakers of both languages. The cognitive delays in addition to the language ones in addition to the way she is parenting all together make me think that environment is a factor here.

OK, I have not read all 8 pages of comments, I admit it.

1) Parents like these are one of the big reasons why I became an atheist. These, the Duggars, the Bates, the Phillips, anyone who ever followed the Pearls. Any deity who would keep piling children onto neglectful, abusive parents is either an evil monster who must be defied at every possible turn, or else a figment of the collective imagination. Ergo their can't be a god, just really bad people.

2) I taught in a school where 98% of the children were completely bilingual by the 6th grade. Literally, we tested because nearly all of those came in with a language other than English and we were making sure they were English-fluent before junior high. And as a whole we did perfectly average in the CA state testing but we were one of the top schools for both English and Spanish literacy, so being bilingual didn't put anyone behind. In fact in a few cases they learned a third language, mostly because they realized that if they learned their best-friends language then their parents wouldn't know what they were saying. In the end we graduated a few Spanish-English-Hmong speakers. But a big part of our success rate involved getting out in the community and getting parents involved and interacting with their children well before kindergarten. That was a huge deal and it had a substantial effect on our success rate. Interaction is key, not the language you use to interact.

3) What's with the blue inflatable dildo?

-EpiNo, a device for stretching the Perineum and preparing for labor, considered an essential purchase for my husband who believes avoiding any tearing is a top priority (and I’m glad!), purchased for $250

Can someone please share the link for this quote? I can't seem to find it.

Someone should have let him know that a male OB will stitch her up "nice and tight for him" if she has an episiotomy. Sex was a nightmare for months after one did that to me.

Can someone please share the link for this quote? I can't seem to find it.

Someone should have let him know that a male OB will stitch her up "nice and tight for him" if she has an episiotomy. Sex was a nightmare for months after one did that to me.

thatwifeblog.com/?s=cost+of+having+a+child

Keeps you from touching yourself 'down there'. :roll:

:o

£89.99? Seriously? £89.99?

That's $145! I just checked! And that's from the site, it looks like she paid $250?

:shock:

OK, I am not going to post the link, simply because I don't know if it's against the rules or not, but look up the Doc Johnson pink inflatable dildo. It does the same dammed thing, probably more efficiently and it's $29.00. And that's assuming you don't just want your husband to do it, and have both of you enjoy yourselves in the process.

Not only do I feel bad for these poor women and their lack of pleasure, but what the hell ever happened to being frugal?

:o

£89.99? Seriously? £89.99?

That's $145! I just checked! And that's from the site, it looks like she paid $250?

:shock:

OK, I am not going to post the link, simply because I don't know if it's against the rules or not, but look up the Doc Johnson pink inflatable dildo. It does the same dammed thing, probably more efficiently and it's $29.00. And that's assuming you don't just want your husband to do it, and have both of you enjoy yourselves in the process.

Not only do I feel bad for these poor women and their lack of pleasure, but what the hell ever happened to being frugal?

LoL I used to do product testing for Doc Johnson :whistle:

I'm just wondering how long before she finds us and comes here for a flounce.

I doubt it will happen, but I hope if she reads this she feel ashamed of how she has treated her son. She will probably just feel "OMG!!!!! Persecuation!!!!!!!"

I just read her birth story, apparently that expensive vagina stretcher contraption was NOT worth it!

She still tore a little!!

and...

She had a home birth.... :D (not against home births...but hers was exceedingly LOoooooonG)

thatwifeblog.com/?s=cost+of+having+a+child

Thank you.

That list is amazing! She was willing to spend more on one pair of jeans than on a used pack and play that her child obviously spends a great deal of his time in? I still can't wrap my mind around her priorities.

Her excuse is that she is LDS and needs more modest clothes, which can only be bought at the expensive boutiques apparently. Obviously she did not look at Target, WalMart, Motherhood or Goodwill.

I got my entire maternity wardrobe for $50 at a thrift store on a half price day. All very modest (and nice, too! I had a cashmere sweater set and Joe's Jeans!). My impression is that LDS women routinely share maternity wardrobes and baby things, at least all of the LDS women I know do so.

I was wondering if the whole propping the bottle up thing was just a one-time case until I looked through her post on the things she bought for her son (thatwifeblog.com/2011/05/my-favorite-baby-gear-purchases/).

On there she has another picture where her son seems to be even younger than in the other picture, again with a bottle propped up for her convenience.

504802.jpg

It also has a clearer picture of "the cage" which really does look like a cage or a really bleak prison cell, maybe:

1z2p2qq.jpg

And I don't get this entry of things they didn't end up getting:

Bottle heater/wipe warmer

We didn’t want him developing a preference for such things,

What is that supposed to mean? She didn't want him to get used to warm bottles? Whut?!?

She was such a little priss in that "Cost of Having a Baby" post about how she would only use cloth diapers and breastfeed exclusively, and she wrote about how she loved her wrap, and then in the 8-month post you see what she's REALLY like--propped up bottles of formula, leaving the baby to himself all day, and rarely changed disposables. Gross.

Bottle propping is not cool.

For what it's worth -- I'm a pediatric private duty nurse. And I'm currently caring for a baby who is on a ventilator and is in a persistent vegetative state because she choked/aspirated on a propped bottle at around 6 months old.

On the other hand, my mom raised nine biological kids and probably 100+ foster babies before 1995 -- and I'm very familiar with bottle propping because of her.

Has this woman never heard of kegels? It's not that hard: 10 at every red light for the rest of your life. No problem. I'm not worried about what her husband is clearly concerned about (I'm guessing he's worried about throwing his hot dog down a hallway - lol), butI don't particularly like peeing my pants. Especially in the winter. :D

http://women.webmd.com/tc/kegel-exercis ... c-overview

She may not have heard of them. After all, she apparently hasn't heard about why it's not appropriate to turn a bathroom into a nursery or that it's not okay to balance your baby on a 19"x19" Closet maid stand to diaper him!

It looks like she keeps him in the cage even as he is getting older. And he still has just a few small toys. And she puts her own crap in the cage, but gets mad that he plays with it.

3ad04d0.jpeg

from thatwifeblog.com/2011/05/a-quiet-house-means-trouble/

And this post made me sad. Especially when she talked about screaming at him. thatwifeblog.com/2011/04/t1-is-1/

Aggggggggggggggggh I read the birth story and PP recovery. She made a placenta print......

I missed that. What do you do with a placenta print? Hang it on your wall? :banana-gotpics:

I missed that. What do you do with a placenta print? Hang it on your wall? :banana-gotpics:

Why yes, yes you do NN. WTF ever happened to just plain burying the darn thing and planting a fucking rose?? Oh and when she was done she just trashed the darn thing like a bad piece of liver.

FWIW there was a knot in the cord.

Guest Anonymous
Motherhood is not a glowing spirited journey along a path strewn with unicorns and cotton candy for me. It’s hard work, and there are many days when I wonder why I believe that this is God’s plan. Not having kids would be so much easier!

It seems pretty clear to me that she had the kid because she believed that she was required to, and she resents the hell out of him.

Sometimes when you nap for a long time I think maybe you died. If you died I would get to be a whole lot more selfish, spending my days however I pleased once again, but that wouldn’t be worth trading you in. You bring so much life and joy and happiness into our home, along with the frustration and pain.

The way she writes "I think maybe you died" so dispassionately and seems to be weighing the options of whether or not it would be nicer for her if he did is just chilling to me.

Brrrrr! I think she's a cold woman and I feel very sorry for that baby.

I'm just wondering how long before she finds us and comes here for a flounce.

I was considering over breakfast that perhaps she doesn't know better on a very inherent level. Some people don't automatically respond to and attach to babies, and I know that people who were severely neglected and abused at early ages often find it difficult to fulfill a child's needs at the same age because they don't even havean unremembered example to base some of the emotional connections off.

But the thing is, if someone had said to her at birth (as many support services for vulnerable people inc. teen mothers who have been obviously emotionally neglected as infants, do), "Now, babies need to have lots and lots of eye contact and skin contact. In fact, it's how they learn to interact! They need to learn how to love you, how to feel safe, and how to see other people as people, and you can help them with that slow learning process by engaging with them on a very frequent basis. Babies who have adequate nutrition but little physical contact can actually fail to thrive, so make sure you hold baby close when you feed him. It helps show him how very very much you love him," she wouldn't have listened. I feel terribly sorry for that child.

Archived