IGNORED

Baby sleeping in the bathroom

Ridiculous

thatwifeblog.com/2010/12/day-in-the-life-with-an-eight-month-old/

Have we discussed That Wife? She's Mormon and yet another mom with a creative solution for child storage. I mean, child sleeping arrangements.

Her kid sleeps in the bathroom. They have a (pretty spacious) 2-bedroom apartment, but instead of moving their computers out of the extra bedroom, or even having him sleep in their room, they put him in the bathroom. 0.o

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He sleeps in the bathroom because it means we can put him down for naps and night without losing access to a room that we need for other things....

So does this mean they don't use the bathroom at night ???

Ummm what? How many computers do they HAVE that they need a whole room for them? I mean, seriously, unless they're hard core geeks with a huge collection, the computers can be shoved elsewhere.

Aggggrggggggh! Wait, I know its been years, but I thought babies lying on their backs sucking on bottles was just asking for ear infections.

Its pretty cool the way he's immediately attracted to the hot stove!!!

edited for spelling and high blood pressure

thatwifeblogDOTcom/2010/06/the-great-buzz-of-2010/

Some more bathroom WTF-ery... who shaves a baby's head with an ELECTRIC razor while the baby is sitting in a tub of water?!

Just when I think I've seen the lowest of the low - damn fundies go and show me there's an even lower.

Bathroom really? They aren't the cleanest of places and germs are everywhere.

She says later she sets him down in his cage at 10:03 am, that's a nice description...

Sounds like she likes being a mom,

Also 11+ hours on a computer in a day? No wonder her son doesn't like cage time...he gets it so often.

OK, I had visions of him sleeping inside the bathtub. Why can't they put the portable crib in their bedroom? Or move their computers to their bedroom or living room. The kid is gonna need a bigger crib or bed soon, and deserves something more than the bathroom.

OK, I had visions of him sleeping inside the bathtub. Why can't they put the portable crib in their bedroom? Or move their computers to their bedroom or living room. The kid is gonna need a bigger crib or bed soon, and deserves something more than the bathroom.

Because that would be too much of an inconvenience of course.

She seems to resent this baby on some level whether she is conscious of it or not. I also noticed that ALL of his bottles were while he was lying down. I usually still held my kiddo while she was still taking a bottle. Once she started taking a sippy cup I would give her formula/milk in that while she was playing, but that's it.

This brought me out of Lurkdoom, this is some of the saddest, crap, parenting I have seen since Emily, but in a far nicer apartment. Cut the blind cords you lazy cow, to start and tuck them up, you know they are a strangulation hazard but just dismiss that with out doing anything? The Bumbo on the counter is more shit parenting, it says on the packaging not to and you know she is leaving him to do her own crap without a care. The big fluffy pillow in the "cage" is considered a suffucation hazard until bare minimum one year, most say closer to two. Lastly seriously she props that kid in a corner more times then that kid probably props up his own bottle. It also seems she barely interacts with the kid. I feel so bad for that kid, I hope he surrvives his childhood, good luck bathroom boy. :(

Aggggrggggggh! Wait, I know its been years, but I thought babies lying on their backs sucking on bottles was just asking for ear infections.

Yes, it is an invitation to a chronic problem with fluid in the ears and ear infections.

I must have missed the nice refreshing walk in the outside. The time at the playground.

And some yogurt and a mashed up section of baked apple is all the solid food he got that day? He needs fewer bottles and more solid food. She made stew, that can be ground up for servings for him. He needs some protein.

I suppose I should confess to doing the same. We let our son sleep in the bathroom. In our defense we were on vacation with my entire family (like 30 other people) and he went to bed before the other kids. We first put him down in the bedroom we were sleeping in and he woke up immeditally from all the noise the other kids were making so we moved him into the bathroom that was a lot quieter. Of course he only slept there for one night not every night. It was a HUGE bathroom and he wasn't close to the toliet. I wouldn't put my son in the bathroom every night and at home he has his own room with a crib not a pack and play. When I was a baby I shared my room with the computer so if they have a second bedroom I'm not sure why they can't put him in theres with the computer? Or put the computer in the dinning room that didn't look furnished and give him a whole room to himself. I also feel that 11 hours a day on the computer is excessive. I guess she is working on starting her buisness but still it just seems like a lot.

That is horrible. There is a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, at least one bedroom, and the kid gets put in the least sanitary, smallest, smelliest room in the house? The one where you eliminate bodily waste and wash the dirt off your body?

I'm appalled. Honestly. For all the crazy I've seen linked to here, this is definitely among the worst. Bathrooms are not bedrooms. There is a reason for that. Before indoor plumbing, the bathroom was outside and separate from the rest of the house. There is a reason for that. I don't care how clean one says their bathroom is. You do not put your only child's bed in the f*cking bathroom.

I also noticed that ALL of his bottles were while he was lying down. I usually still held my kiddo while she was still taking a bottle. Once she started taking a sippy cup I would give her formula/milk in that while she was playing, but that's it.

Same here. And all were off the bottle by 9 months. They were bottle fed because of adoption but had they been nursed there'd have been no bottles, barring complications. Babies really need to be held, whether breast fed or bottle fed. They need the eye contact with their parent.

I suppose I should confess to doing the same. We let our son sleep in the bathroom. In our defense we were on vacation with my entire family (like 30 other people) and he went to bed before the other kids. We first put him down in the bedroom we were sleeping in and he woke up immeditally from all the noise the other kids were making so we moved him into the bathroom that was a lot quieter. Of course he only slept there for one night not every night. It was a HUGE bathroom and he wasn't close to the toliet. I wouldn't put my son in the bathroom every night and at home he has his own room with a crib not a pack and play. When I was a baby I shared my room with the computer so if they have a second bedroom I'm not sure why they can't put him in theres with the computer? Or put the computer in the dinning room that didn't look furnished and give him a whole room to himself. I also feel that 11 hours a day on the computer is excessive. I guess she is working on starting her buisness but still it just seems like a lot.

I've stayed in villas on vacation that had bathrooms that a person could practically live in. I don't think this apartment has that type of bathroom.

Oh, and she thinks the blind cords thing is funny, apparently. I think she's just trying to be provocative and that she's an attention-whore.

Yes, this is emily-esque, just with better digs.

what the hell?

seriously, what the hell?

that's insanity.

Why can't they give the poor kid his own room? I'd rather move things sooner rather than later, and the computers can totally go somewhere else. And why the fuck won't she actually pay attention to her own kid?

Her tracker thing said she spent *11 hours* on the computer that day? Wow. I understand she could have a web page open while she's afk doing other things, but 11 hours?

I have identical twin 18 month old great-nieces and babysat them for the afternoon recently. I didn't have time to glance longinly at my computer, let alone spend 11 hours on it. I understand her baby is a little younger and probably naps more, but damn! Its been a long time since I've had a little one, but it seems like he spent an awful lot of time in that pack & play.

Yes her bathroom did appear much smaller. I think she thinks she's funny. The picture of her being happy about being "free" when he went down for his nap and annoyed when he woke up seemed to sum up how she feels about her days. Not that I'm not thrilled when my son goes down for a nap after a long day but I don't think I would take pictures like that and put them online. I'm also not sure how it's so much worse for her when she's ignoring him in his "cage" or when he's asleep. Did she honestly take a shower while he was awake and playing in his cage? See if you took the kid out of the bathroom you could shower when he's asleep. When my son was younger I always used his morning nap to get ready for the day and I always shower the night before or have him in the shower with me (not sure if this would work with an 8 month old since I mostly started this after he was a year).

That poor baby. It looks like she barely interacts with him at all. And safety is obviously not a concern at all. I don't know which was worse, the bumbo on the counter or him chewing on the blind cords. I'm scared to think about what could happen as he becomes more mobile.

Archived