IGNORED

Baby sleeping in the bathroom

Ridiculous

Gaaah!!! Get. the blind cords. AWAY. from BABY!

And get the baby away from the open dishwasher where you can clearly see KNIVES!

The bathroom doesn't bother me too much (though I can't for the life of me understand why), but those two things scare me. Her excuse "we are right there!" Yeah? You think accidents can't happen when you are right there?

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a great quote from when he was two months old: "Another feeding. Blah blah blah. So boring. Good thing I like to read."

I think the bathroom is really hazardous if there's a fire. Firefighters will not look in the bathrooms first when they are trying to rescue kids. If the parents get out ok and can tell them where to look, they might be able to save him. But the rescue workers will not expect a baby to be sleeping in a bathroom and it will be the last place they look. It's dangerous for the same reason as the woman who stacks her three daughters inside a closet. I don't know about this woman's bathroom, but if it doesn't have a window then that's an even bigger hazard in a fire. Our society has gone to great extents to make sure children's sleepwear is fire retardant, and to regulate that bedrooms need to have a means of escape. We have these things for a reason, and she's taking a huge risk by putting her baby in the bathroom. Yes, fires are rare, but if it does happen, she'll regret it.

Apparently her husband is a whole bag of fundie manly fun. Get a load of this:

thatwifeblog.com/2009/08/my-husband-is-not-a-jerk/

Apparently one of her readers emailed her expressing concern for her husband's domineering, and this posts explains why he's not a jerk. Usually when you have to explain away someone's jerky actions, they are indeed a jerk. She sold her dvd set of "friends" because he deemed it inappropiate .....

The media consumption standard? Because he doesn’t like what it does for his thoughts (and I agree, my thoughts are much “cleaner†when I exercise caution about what I view), doesn’t like how often we let our standards relax over time if we let ourselves justify viewing certain things, and he doesn’t like when parents set a double standard by telling their kids “I can watch this, but you can’t.†I can’t say I disagree with any of those.

Its not a double standard when parents tell children they can't watch certain things. It's called PARENTING. Some things are made for adults, therefore to be viewed by adults. I watch True Blood and Weeds because I enjoy them both but would never allow a small child to watch with me. My son is 16 but developmentaly disabled (he's about 7 cognitively), so I tivo any shows I don't want him wandering in on. Problem solved! Some people call it.... wait for it.... parenting !!!!

Look how she fed him when he was two months old.

cc2b930.jpeg

That is some crappy parenting. Yep.

Oh, my. . . that is really terrible. Babies need to be held while they're eating for so many reasons, too many to enumerate.

I really think she's just being a provocative bitch. I think it's a way to get attention, as if "I can't get enough attention for being a good mom, so let me show people how bad I am". Like a misanthropic teenager.

And that's the best case scenario. :evil:

Look how she fed him when he was two months old.

cc2b930.jpeg

That is some crappy parenting. Yep.

Wow, totally not good for him emotionally to say nothing of safety.

Having the baby sleeping in the bathroom is crazy as well as the blind cords and other crazy things in those pics. There have been many infant/toddler deaths due to blind cords, I guess this woman hasn't heard of those cases.

Hey, you know where I learned not to prop a baby with a bottle like that? Public high school health class. Aside from the emotional stuff, they can choke and aspirate fluid.

NOBODY thinks that's a good idea. People do it anyway, but if you're on welfare your caseworker will talk about why it's a bad idea and if you go to a pediatrician I am pretty sure it's on their bullet list for infants - violence in the family? Smoke around the baby? Adequate heat? Baby seems to be eating OK? You always hold him while bottle feeding? Check check check check.

(Actually, that checklist thing has been true for both clinics we've used, but maybe it's a state-propagated health department thing? Does anybody else get the list at checkups? Now my son's older it includes bike helmets, a winter coat, booster seat in the car, stuff like that.)

We get the checklist too. I think there are some things they are required to ask.

In her post about the two month old, he was never snuggled. When she feed him, he is just laying in her lap while she reads or tweets. Is this normal? I assume most mothers actually hold the baby.

Someone in the comments said, "Of course the baby gets held; she is a baby wearer!" srsly, she is not.

I feel sick after seeing that picture of the bottle prop. I used bottles at different stages for three kids, and I never propped one bottle, ever. I wasn't bored feeding them, either. That's some really important time she's totally screwing up - like she's living totally in her head. Does she even realize she has a baby?

I've seen lots of pets with a better set up than that...

Poor baby.

Well he's 18 months old now, still on a bottle which his speech therapist has told them needs to go. Doesn't say if he's still sleeping in the bathroom.

We get the checklist too. I think there are some things they are required to ask.

In her post about the two month old, he was never snuggled. When she feed him, he is just laying in her lap while she reads or tweets. Is this normal? I assume most mothers actually hold the baby.

Someone in the comments said, "Of course the baby gets held; she is a baby wearer!" srsly, she is not.

I don't think so, either. Most babywearing moms can't wait to show you their sling and brag about the brand or the way they tie it or some such thing. I think if she wore the baby, she'd be talking about it and posting photos of it, for sure.

Um... feeding is important because it helps the mom and baby bond. So they baby should bond with a prop?

As for the bathroom, unless she nukes it with bleach there are all kinds of nasty buggers living in there. Not really a safe place for someone without a fully developed immune system!

FAIL

Her little boy does have some delays. You do have to wonder if some of the benign neglect he had as an infant and pre-toddler isn't to blame, yet I don't want any Mom to beat herself up when a child has developmental delays as most of the time it isn't something a parent did or didn't do but in this case I do wonder.

And to their credit they are starting early intervention.

thatwifeblog.com/2011/10/delayed-2/#more-11882

edited to break link

Guest Anonymous

What in the hell did she have a baby for? She clearly doesn't want the poor thing. This is the equivalent of getting a dog and tossing it in your backyard with food and water but no companionship, no love, no training, etc.

Just when I think I can't be shocked some fundie proves me wrong. I hope the kid doesn't end up with RAD from lack of bonding/trust with his caregivers. If he doesn't attach to them then I'm sure his parents will break out TTUAC to "fix" the problems that their craptastic parenting caused.

Ugh, poor, sweet little baby boy. The bathroom setup is minor in comparison to everything that's not happening, such as cuddling, quality time, getting off her lazy ass and feeding him, etc, etc.

And some yogurt and a mashed up section of baked apple is all the solid food he got that day? He needs fewer bottles and more solid food. She made stew, that can be ground up for servings for him. He needs some protein.

He was only 8 months old. Solids are for practice for the first year and milk should be the main source of nutrition. Granted, my knowledge comes from breastfeeding so I don't know if things are done differently with formula, but this is what I've always read/heard. My daughter was only eating one solid meal a day at his age, as we did more of a baby-led approach. Hers is probably laziness, though, given what we've seen, but it's not harmful in the least (other than the bottle propping, natch).

The “I don’t want you to be overweight†thing? Because as he has told me many times, he wants to die first. He wants me to be in the best physical shape possible so I will live longer so he doesn’t have to live without me for a single moment. If that doesn’t say “I love youâ€, then I don’t know what does.

FUCK THIS ARGUMENT I FUCKING HATE IT

In my opinion, people who love you may not want to live without you, but they also consider and realize how much it would hurt you to lose them. Fuck that selfish "I want to die first" shit.

Also she's a terrible mother. At best she is doing that baby a terrible disservice by bottle-propping and laying him on his back all the time.

18 months old and his only solid food is yogurt and a bit of roasted apple? Really? In a day?

My daughter is 17 months old. Here's what she ate today:

Milk (probably 4 sippie cups full, whole. She's no longer breast fed by her own choice.)

oatmeal (1 cup, and she ate every bite)

banana

pasta with tomato sauce and beef

ice cream sandwich (not a healthy snack, I know. It's a treat.)

cheerios

butternut squash chunks, roasted with safflower oil, salt and pepper

rice cooked in homemade stock with herbs

pork chops sautéed in a bit of butter with herbs

And she is in about the 20% height and weight, not a big kid at all.

And yet? This is not posted on my blog with pictures. Maybe it should be. Sheesh. :roll:

I questioned the child only drinking milk. My DD was BF but by 17 months she was all about the food.

Could the poor diet along with lack of stimulation be a factor in his delays? I don't buy the crap in the comments that multilingual families lead to language delays.

Oh dear. I watched the video in that post about speech delays, and it creeped me out. Granted, maybe she was purposefully trying to make a video of how he acts "on his own", but you know what creeped me out? First it was the amount of time he spent with his back turned toward her. And then, during the few seconds when he did look at the camera and smile and babble toward her, it was the fact that we don't hear her respond to him. It's like he's trying to get her to engage, but she doesn't, so he gives up again. Heartbreaking.

When she says

I just can’t stop thinking that if I just tried harder to never be on the computer when he is awake, or if I would follow him around and talk to him incessantly labeling things when we go to the park, or talk to him in a sing-song voice every moment during dinner that therapy wouldn’t be necessary.

I think she may be onto something.

I thought bilingual kids did really have speech delays - they babble & make individual words like every other kid but it takes the sentences/grammar take longer.

Archived