IGNORED

Erin and Chad 11: How Does Anyone Sleep?

Coconut Flan

10 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I gave birth in that very same hospital on Friday, on that very same floor, eerily close to her room number. I don’t think this hospital is very close to where they live at all, but has a good NICU, which maybe was a factor for them considering how early he is?

I thought I’d be way more likely to have a Webster encounter down here than a Paine one; glad this was a near miss 😂

She is about 50 minutes from Alyssa, so if the hospital is close to Alyssa it might be the closest NICU. I had my preemie in a hospital an hour away because it was the closest NICU. I waas transferred from my local hospital when it was clear I was in labour. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

The name irks me. Why do the boys get the serious, classic names and the girls get silly, unique or offbeat ones? It's like the girls don't matter, they won't have a serious future in the business world, so the parents go crazy in their quest to be unique? But boys? They need manly names.

To follow their pattern, this baby should have been named "Stanli" or "Freddi" or "Ayden" or "Lymon." 

That line of thought bothers me. It is SO often used in a classist, racist, misogynistic and or culturally hierarchical manner.  Having an old school English or Northeast US WASP name isn’t somehow better. And that people perceive those names as somehow more worthy of serious consideration is a real issue. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

Brooklyn and Holland are not weird or silly. I know so many Brooklyns of different ages and Holland is definitely becoming much more popular. Ireland Baldwin just named her daughter that after Holland Taylor. Now Ireland is a weird name, the same if she had used Avonlea or Calliope. But Finley and Everly are just very Trendy and Erin was not thinking about the long term affects of her daughters names because she doesn't see her daughter becoming a lawyer named Finley, rather a country housewife with seven kids and Finley being like este, Lottie, and Nelly. I also dont know why people think Carson is weird. It's not, it's a normal name and also that people think it doesn't go with Charles. I think it's a good choice if you dont want to use chad, Charles, Charlie, chuck.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

EEEEK!

CONGRATS! How is little Roy-Dean Tarheel doing???

Ha! I LOL’d, which kinda hurt since I ended up needing a c section. But we are safe and happy and healthy and that’s most important! 

• Love 27

40 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

But Finley and Everly are just very Trendy and Erin was not thinking about the long term affects of her daughters names because she doesn't see her daughter becoming a lawyer named Finley, rather a country housewife with seven kids and Finley being like este, Lottie, and Nelly.

I’ve got to disagree with you about Finley and Everly. In the US, Finley is a top 300 name for both boys and girls, so it is very gender neutral.  Neither of those names feel “country” or fundie to me. Everly and an alternate spelling Everleigh are both top 100 names currently. There will definitely be many women with careers with these names. 

• Upvote 3

I've had an Everly in my class for the last two years. These are 5 year olds, so the name wasn't unheard-of when Erin named her. 

• Upvote 2

Everly had an insane jump in popularity a few years ago. Like almost out of the top 1000 to a pretty popular name in only a couple years. I’m personally not a fan of super trendy names. So Everly is my least favorite. But I have a close friend with a child named Everly. And I always call her Evie. She’s such an Evie. I can’t call her Everly since it doesn’t seem to fit her. Maybe it will when she’s older. Everyone calls her Evie. 

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Everly had an insane jump in popularity a few years ago. Like almost out of the top 1000 to a pretty popular name in only a couple years. I’m personally not a fan of super trendy names. So Everly is my least favorite. But I have a close friend with a child named Everly. And I always call her Evie. She’s such an Evie. I can’t call her Everly since it doesn’t seem to fit her. Maybe it will when she’s older. Everyone calls her Evie. 

Erin calls her daughter Evy. 

I know 5 Everlys. I definitely wouldn’t call it uncommon. My daughter has a Finley in her class. I know a few Brooklyns. I don’t know any Hollands, but I am an 80s baby so I know several Holly’s, which is what they call Holland. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Erin calls her daughter Evy. 

I know 5 Everlys. I definitely wouldn’t call it uncommon. My daughter has a Finley in her class. I know a few Brooklyns. I don’t know any Hollands, but I am an 80s baby so I know several Holly’s, which is what they call Holland. 

My son’s friend has a younger sister named Holland. Around Holland Paine’s age. 

8 hours ago, JDuggs said:

The Paine girls’ names all use the most common conventional spellings. They are all place names or surnames. Brooklyn and Everly are top 100 names and Holland and Finley are top 600 names in the US. Everly is the only name that strikes me as “cute” but the name Beverly doesn’t, so really, what’s the difference?

We now have an Amy on the Supreme Court. If there’s a Brooklyn, Everly, Holland or Finley on the Supreme Court in 40 years, I don’t think it would be strange.

You don't see a different between Charles/William and Everly/Finley/Brooklyn/Holland? I do.

I also see a difference between Maci/Zoey/Alli/Lexi and Rhett.

Could these little girls end up on the Supreme Court? Of course. But I do see a naming difference between them and their brothers.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

That line of thought bothers me. It is SO often used in a classist, racist, misogynistic and or culturally hierarchical manner.  Having an old school English or Northeast US WASP name isn’t somehow better. And that people perceive those names as somehow more worthy of serious consideration is a real issue. 

I think you are missing the misogyny I'm pointing out, which might be a blind spot in your own thinking.

These folks want their sons to end up as leaders of industry. So they give them the names of current leaders of industry. Steve Jobs, William Gates, Steven Hawkings, David Solomon, Charles Merrill.

The leaders of today are still mostly men, and they are mostly men with classic names. Like it or not. And fundies realize that. They want their future leader of GE to have a name that "fits in."

OTOH, they don't care about the girls' careers, so they take more chances and have the freedom to be more creative. Who cares, she'll just be in the kitchen.

The fact that CM knows five Everlys. .. .I mean, what? Completely misses the point. And whether the names are "nice" or not is completely subjective.  Personally, I like Everly and Brooklyn, but could do without the name Zoey. It's subjective. 

It's a shame that misogyny is so normalized in this country that people  miss it when it's right in front of them!

Edited by Jackie3

Everly is a nice name, but I have never heard it here. Does it rhyme with Beverly, with a short e, and is the nickname Eevie, or more like Evvy, with a short E? I live Eevie, Evvy not so much. Not that it matters, just wondering. And then also how Everly can sound nice, but Beverly much less so!

i also like Carson as a name, but would never have thought it is a nickname for Charles. I always low key thought it was an homage to Nevada for people who wouldn’t name their kid Vegas, lol. It is a bit like Trey, I always thought that was a stand-alone name, but it see,s like it is used for being “the third”? So, I thought Trey Parker was called Trey, but it seems he is actually Randolph Severn. Would  never have guessed that! Still hate Kade as whatever the fourth as a name, though I guess that also isn’t his actual name, so it doesn’t matter!

• Upvote 1

Has Erin ever said why she delivers so early? Not sure about this one but it sounds like most (?all, from what I recall when I followed them closer) of her previous labour were spontaneous. This babe was born at 34+5 which is quite early for a spontaneous labour. I wonder if she’s had investigations done or if measures have been taken in her pregnancies to try to help her reach term. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Keys said:

Has Erin ever said why she delivers so early? Not sure about this one but it sounds like most (?all, from what I recall when I followed them closer) of her previous labour were spontaneous. This babe was born at 34+5 which is quite early for a spontaneous labour. I wonder if she’s had investigations done or if measures have been taken in her pregnancies to try to help her reach term. 

I thought her prior deliveries were intentionally early due to complications later in pregnancy. I don't think they're usually this early though. But clearly they knew she was going early because Michael and Kelly were there. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Keys said:

I don't think Erin has gone longer than 37 weeks with any pregnancy. I asked her if she had a planned labor with one of the middle girls, and she replied that she went into labor on her own (at 36 weeks). 

• Upvote 3

Why is Holland a more normal name than Ireland? Both seem weird to me.

I wonder if Erin realizes that she is not just on a location-theme but also a Dutch theme with Brooklyn and Holland. Next one could be Harlem or Vancouver.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I wonder if Erin realizes that she is not just on a location-theme but also a Dutch theme with Brooklyn and Holland. Next one could be Harlem or Vancouver.

I would looooove if she chose Harlem. Because you know they'd have not a single fucking clue.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

21 hours ago, Keys said:

Dr. Vick always wanted to induce her early because of the clotting disorders she has been diagnosed with for her pregnancies. I can only think of one or two where she actually was induced. Usually, she goes before her induction date is scheduled. The clotting disorder can cause a variety of bad things, including preeclampsia, abruptio placentae, intrauterine growth restriction, recurrent abortions, and fetal death. She takes heparin shots (or did while under the care of Dr. Vick. I don't know her regimen now but it could have changed, as heparin during pregnancy can cause osteoporosis. 

She may have another underlying cause.

• Upvote 4

I personally like place names when the people have an actual connection to the place. Like they had a wonderful vacation there or something. But Erin has never been to Holland. So it seems weird. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I personally like place names when the people have an actual connection to the place. Like they had a wonderful vacation there or something. But Erin has never been to Holland. So it seems weird. 

Wasn't Ireland on her name list? They honeymooned there.

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2023 at 3:08 PM, TuringMachine said:

I believe the Bates have 27 grandchildren with 2 on the way. Duggars have 31 with at least 1 on the way. So 58, soon to be 61+.

If you add in the Kellers, you have like 90 grandkids between just the 3 families. Anna and Josh's kids have like 51 cousins between both sides of their famlies.

William is a family name. It's her Grandfather's name, It's her dad's first name. Gil comes from Gilvin, which is his middle name. Lawson's first name is also William.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2023 at 4:15 AM, CarrotCake said:

I'm American and I think because Holly is a first name that sounds like a nickname and Holland sounds like it could be the name for which Holly is short. Same with Brooke and Brooklyn--Brooke is a full name but it doesn't sound like it, so people started adding something to it. Ireland doesn't fill that pretend void.

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't surprise me if several of the grandkids end up with William and Jayne as first and middle names. They all love their grandparents so much so it makes sense to honor them. I don't think Lawson should feel like he can't name a child William because Erin did. He can do whatever he wants and shouldn't base anything off the hoards of nieces and nephews. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, gobucks said:

It wouldn't surprise me if several of the grandkids end up with William and Jayne as first and middle names. They all love their grandparents so much so it makes sense to honor them. I don't think Lawson should feel like he can't name a child William because Erin did. He can do whatever he wants and shouldn't base anything off the hoards of nieces and nephews. 

I doubt Lawson feels that he can’t use his own first name for a potential child of his own. But I also feel that all of the kids should feel free to honor any relatives they want also. So some names repeat. Not a big deal to me. 

• Upvote 4