IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 12: Prodigal Prince, Immature, Paranoid, Whiner, or Fully Justified?

Coconut Flan

17 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

She could have probably accomplished a great deal more substantive and long-term change being a working royal.  She started off great with the cookbook for the fire victims and the capsule wardrobe was a good idea if with an iffy implementation, but she could have continued finding worthy projects.  She didn't get the instant acclaim and looking after that she craves though.  She was right in recognizing she wasn't ever going to get what she wanted there.  The problem is outside of mommy I'm not sure she's ever going to get what she's apparently been seeking.  Perhaps she should have found a place to settle for half a cup?

The problem there is that the point of a royal being a patron is to draw attention to the cause not themselves. So it just didn't work for her. She wanted it to be about her. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

She could have probably accomplished a great deal more substantive and long-term change being a working royal.  She started off great with the cookbook for the fire victims and the capsule wardrobe was a good idea if with an iffy implementation, but she could have continued finding worthy projects.  She didn't get the instant acclaim and looking after that she craves though.  She was right in recognizing she wasn't ever going to get what she wanted there.  The problem is outside of mommy I'm not sure she's ever going to get what she's apparently been seeking.  Perhaps she should have found a place to settle for half a cup?

IMHO it seems that what she is looking for is not going to be achievable, not just for her but for anyone.  One cannot be all things to all people all of the time and to me it seems she wants to be that on every issue, every cause, every topic.  She seems to constantly change tack rather than focus her energies on key causes/projects.  

And she did get off to a good start with the BRF.   I thought the Queen awarding her the theatre patronage was pretty good recognition for a not-very-famous actress and it seems like she threw away a good opportunity for considerable publicity / acclaim around being associated with that.

• Upvote 10

On 11/4/2022 at 2:15 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I ran into this one in the morning news feed and thought I'd offer it here:

https://www.geo.tv/latest/450388-doria-ragland-treats-meghan-markle-like-a-little-child

I think they're probably reading too much into it. Meghan has a habit of getting her friends and family members (the ones she hasn't cut off, anyway) to do little segues in her work. She probably told Doria to ring at that time and since Doria isn't an actress, she came off as a bit weird. 

It's actually pretty amusing. I like to think of Harry bouncing around their 16 bed mansion like a pinball, constantly bewildered by what is happening around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

On 11/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, louisa05 said:

The problem there is that the point of a royal being a patron is to draw attention to the cause not themselves. So it just didn't work for her. She wanted it to be about her. 

On top of that, a recent study shows that royal patrons do not increase the amount of money a charity brings in. So perhaps she wanted to do something that has more of an impact.

Royal patronages provide no discernable benefits to charities that seek to obtain and retain them, according to new research.

Caroline Fiennes, director of Giving Evidence, said: “The message for charities is pretty clear: they shouldn't seek or retain these things thinking it will help them with their fundraising and they are not likely to get many engagements with their royal patron. 

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/royal-patronages-provide-no-discernible-benefits-charities-research-concludes/communications/article/1689654#:~:text=Royal patronages provide no discernible benefits to charities%2C research concludes,-16 July 2020&text=Royal patronages provide no discernable,them%2C according to new research.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 4

On 11/3/2022 at 8:56 PM, tabitha2 said:

Evidently She has nothing of interest, insight, originality to offer or say. She relies on rep as being the controversial/wronged DoS to keep her in the limelight 

Spotify podcast listeners disagree with your assessment. She's consistently in their top 20 (usually the top 10). Spotify is getting their money's worht--wouldn't surprise me if they sign another deal with her. They're making bank, and so is she.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Move Along 2

On 10/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, tabitha2 said:

A lie can be halfway around the world before the truth has its shoes on Esp when the lied about won’t or can’t say a got damn thing to defend themselves. 

Well, Diana told her story. Charles worked with Dimbleby to write The Prince of Wales. They got to tell their stories, and Harry has the same right. 

If you think it's full of lies, you shouldn't read it. I'd say that to anyone who doesn't trust an author. People who trust Harry's account will read it (I suspect that will be a lot of people).

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Jackie3 said:

Spotify podcast listeners disagree with your assessment. She's consistently in their top 20 (usually the top 10). Spotify is getting their money's worht--wouldn't surprise me if they sign another deal with her. They're making bank, and so is she.

It’s highly ranked when an episode first comes out, but it drops off quickly. Right now, it’s ranked number 22. If you look at the other Spotify podcasts around the same ranking, they aren’t Spotify exclusives. A 22 ranked exclusive podcast isn’t much to brag about. Joe Rogans is always in the top 5. It’s one of the reasons people pay for Spotify. And one of the reasons I refuse!

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

It’s highly ranked when an episode first comes out, but it drops off quickly. Right now, it’s ranked number 22. If you look at the other Spotify podcasts around the same ranking, they aren’t Spotify exclusives. A 22 ranked exclusive podcast isn’t much to brag about. Joe Rogans is always in the top 5. It’s one of the reasons people pay for Spotify. And one of the reasons I refuse!

#22 is pretty darned good!!  FWIW she has mostly ben in the top 10.

Either way, I'm sure Spotify is extremely satisfied with it's investment.

Similarly, Harry's book is sure to be a blockbuster bestseller. This couple is raking it in.

Their lives are so much better in CA. After all, what was the alternative? In Britain, Meghan's life would have involved opening the local hospital then reading criticism about her clothes in the press the next day. Of course the media wishes she had stayed, they can't really pick on her when she's in CA.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 3
  • Eyeroll 3

If everything is amazing and peachy keen in California, why must they continually whine about the UK, the BRF and how hard their life was and is???? That's very confusing. 

• Upvote 12

19 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

#22 is pretty darned good!!  FWIW she has mostly ben in the top 10.

Either way, I'm sure Spotify is extremely satisfied with it's investment.

I do think she has found a good thing with this podcast. I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify ordered more. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Of course the media wishes she had stayed, they can't really pick on her when she's in CA.

Why not? Plenty of celebs in California get  written about and not always positively.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, viii said:

I do think she has found a good thing with this podcast. I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify ordered more. 

I think she’s doing pretty well, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Spotify ordered more. Which, good for her! I’m glad she’s able to do something that lets her work and be home with her kids.

I still find her recording schedule a little strange - at least acknowledge it - and I think it’s important to remember that her rankings are for Spotify only. They aren’t aggregated across all platforms. Edison Research does that, but they are only on Q2 of 2022.  I’ll be curious to see where she stacks up across all the different services. 

• Thank You 1

On 11/11/2022 at 7:02 PM, Jackie3 said:

Spotify podcast listeners disagree with your assessment.

They're making bank, and so is she.

On 11/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, Jackie3 said:

Spotify is extremely satisfied with it's investment.

This couple is raking it in.

Please provide figures to back up all of these statements.

• Upvote 6

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-prince-harry-netflix-docuseries-premiere-december/

Harry & Meghan's documentary will air in December on Netflix. 

"It's nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I've long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it," Meghan said of working with Garbus. "But that's not why we're telling it. We're trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens."

The groundwork for distancing themselves from the documentary has begun. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, viii said:The groundwork for distancing themselves from the documentary has begun. 

It’s so ridiculous. Why on earth are they telling it then, if that’s not how they would tell it? I know, money, money, money… but still… 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The dance to deniability begins.  

“Dance of deniability” would be a great thread title whenever we need one next. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:12 AM, catlady said:

Please provide figures to back up all of these statements.

Sure. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/03/meghan-markle-first-podcast-spotify-archetypes-women-media-labels

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianbushard/2022/08/25/meghan-markles-archetypes-podcast-unseats-joe-rogan-for-top-spot-on-spotify/?sh=36aeab24c46c

I think $25 million qualifies as making bank. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, tabitha2 said:

I suppose anything that keeps her out of in-laws business and away from them all together is a good thing. 

She moved to California, so I think her inlaws have nothing to worry about. She moved thousands of miles to get away from them, so I don't think she's anxious to get in their business.

• Move Along 2

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

And I just got a new popcorn popper!

These are so great! I got mine at a goodwill about 15 years ago, and it’s still going strong! Useful for movies and general online snarking/scandal. 😂 

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic