IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 12: Prodigal Prince, Immature, Paranoid, Whiner, or Fully Justified?

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, treehugger said:

It’s so ridiculous. Why on earth are they telling it then, if that’s not how they would tell it? I know, money, money, money… but still… 

Because they had to provide Netflix with something after all this time. It's been 26 months since they signed the deal. It took the Obamas half that time to have a production premiere.

• Upvote 2

I refuse to buy Netflix for a variety of reasons, so I ask pretty please, will someone give highlights (lowlights?) of the extravaganza here, now & then?  

• I Agree 3

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I refuse to buy Netflix for a variety of reasons, so I ask pretty please, will someone give highlights (lowlights?) of the extravaganza here, now & then?  

Sure. Netflix is my main streaming so I can do it. 

• Thank You 2

12 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

We just got rid of Netflix. Too expensive. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

The first link is a magazine article from March that says they signed a $25m contract, but provides no data on on whether any of that money has been  disbursed to the Sussexes.  If it was paid by March, then they were paid for doing nothing because the first episode didn’t exist at that time.

The second link is a magazine article from August that states her first episode debuted at #1; we already knew that at the time.

So you didn’t really provide any significant backup to your claims that they are currently raking it in and/or maintaining their popularity.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

42 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

We just got rid of Netflix. Too expensive. 

It is getting expensive. It's like $18 a month, which is ridiculous. However, I only have Netflix and Disney+ so at least I'm not spending that much on 4-5 different streaming services. 

• Upvote 1

Mr Hoi & I are on T-Mobileʻs Magenta Max plan and it includes a Netflix Standard 2-screen HD subscription. 

ETA: Here's what you get for a 3-line Magenta Max subscription:

720146840_MagentaMaxentertainment.thumb.png.4e2ec8470ab607ca3644bd1c543999a0.png

Edited by hoipolloi

1 hour ago, viii said:

It is getting expensive. It's like $18 a month, which is ridiculous. However, I only have Netflix and Disney+ so at least I'm not spending that much on 4-5 different streaming services. 

We have Hulu and Paramount+. And 280 cable channels. Our cable bill has gone up by the month since summer. So we’re looking at ditching it. Aside from college football and a few baseball games, we watch three of those channels. We’re looking at Sling TV. 

We also have Prime. But that’s more for other things. 

• Upvote 1

I checked the "What's coming to Netflix" pages, and there's nothing about the Harry/Meghan doc coming in December. Either there's been a miscommunication on when it's coming out, or Netflix is choosing not to promote the first production from one of their most famous deals. Has that happened before?

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

On 11/18/2022 at 12:30 PM, LilaMae said:

I checked the "What's coming to Netflix" pages, and there's nothing about the Harry/Meghan doc coming in December. Either there's been a miscommunication on when it's coming out, or Netflix is choosing not to promote the first production from one of their most famous deals. Has that happened before?

That Netflix documentary is so weird.  First we hear that Netflix absolutely, positively wants it by December.  Now Dec is coming and we have no date, promo, etc.

I need to get  my son-in-law involved on Thanksgiving Day; my cable bill is enormous, and I am the only one who lives here.  I need to know what all of them watch on the rare occasions they come over and watch TV (they only live across the street so it's not like the come for a week or so at a time).  If I can figure out how to use these Smart TV's that I bought on a whim instead of cable, I'm going to do it.

• Upvote 1

My husband and I finally switched to Hulu+ live TV during the pandemic, thanks to ever increasing cable bills. We have so much variety and can control when we watch it. We got to watch X-files for the first time for both of us. 

We have Netflix (approx 10€/m) and prime. And we obviously pay the general fee for our national tv stations (I know it’s a hot discussion at the moment but personally a somewhat free and objective press is worth it. Almost no commercials and one of the best news programs in the world. But that’s a subjective decision). So, all in all that’s 
40€ per month which is about the same in dollar. And I think that’s actually quite high. If that’s more than enough material to watch. And there is YT as well. That’s more content two people with jobs and children can watch. Ever. If we ever decide to need another streaming service either Netflix or Prime will have to go. 
We do splurge on the European nfl Football game pass though. That’s another 15€/m but you can watch all games till the season is over. That’s the only sport we actually watch on tv. Football (soccer) and other tournaments are often covered by the national or free stations and I am not willing to pay any extra. I rather watch something else before opening my purse for it. 

• Upvote 3

@just_ordinary Are we living in the same country? Your description would fit Germany and I agree, while many people like to complain about the fee for the national television, I really do enjoy that fact that their independent reporting can‘t be bought by some big company. 

Kerry Kennedy has explained that Harry and Meghan deserve the RFK “Ripple of Hope” award because:

They went to the oldest institution in U.K. history and told them what they were doing wrong, that they couldn't have structural racism within the institution; that they could not maintain a misunderstanding about mental health…

They knew that if they did this there would be consequences, that they would be ostracized, they would lose their family, their position within this structure, and that people would blame them for it. They have done it anyway because they believed they couldn't live with themselves if they didn't question this authority. I think they have been heroic in taking this step.
People Magazine, “Harry and Meghan Receiving Award for Heroic Stand

Not everyone agrees with this statement or with Harry and Meghan getting this award.

Award to Meghan and Harry criticized.(Independent UK)

54 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Kerry Kennedy has explained that Harry and Meghan deserve the RFK “Ripple of Hope” award because:

Not everyone agrees with this statement or with Harry and Meghan getting this award.

Award to Meghan and Harry criticized.(Independent UK)

If Harry and Meghan actually had a problem with the structural racism or authority of the British Monarchy, they would stop using their titles immediately. However, considering that even when they left they were still whining about wanting to be part-time royals, they're clearly fine with it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

Yeah, it‘s possible that‘s what they did and why they left. Or, you know, they just didn‘t like to play second fiddle for the rest of their lives. That would be ok as well, just not worthy of an award.

• Upvote 7

I had an easier time to believe this, if they didn’t release an Exit statement where they mapped out how they were just stepping back a bit would still be available for some royal jobs and honour and respect the Queen - not as a grandmother but in her role. And how they fought for this and ultimately had to rewrite their statement several times. Racism in the institution only came up much much later. So yeahhhhhhhh

I absolutely support them in condemning the racism that reeked it’s ugly head. Because if you had a look at certain privately run corners of the web and comment sections- there is no denying it. And I wouldn’t be surprised that there are racist mindsets or structural at work in the institution. I would much more be surprised if not. It’s everywhere and it’s not as easy to solve by just having some quotas or giving more leeway. To diminish the facts and effects it will take several decades. But that’s not why they left by their own account. They wanted to stay part of it very much. Still do actually. Just choosing what job to show up for and earning some private millions. With that background I don’t see any proof of them breaking away because of structural racism, willing to sever relationship ties. Could it be true. Sure. But their own words and actions paint another picture.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

On 11/18/2022 at 9:22 AM, louisa05 said:

We have Hulu and Paramount+. And 280 cable channels. Our cable bill has gone up by the month since summer. So we’re looking at ditching it. Aside from college football and a few baseball games, we watch three of those channels. We’re looking at Sling TV. 

We also have Prime. But that’s more for other things. 

I think you can get ESPN+ with regular Hulu. I don't know if that includes live sports or not. We subscribe to an NFL streaming thing that is paid in bitcoin and I do not know how or if it even legal but it's worked for years and I don't have to do anything. 

I don't know anything about Hulu live, it is basically the same price as cable and we don't need anything other than sports live, but it appears it includes MLB and NCAA. 

I have Prime, Netflix, Disney, Hulu, HBO, and Paramount and I don't know which to drop. Paramount is like .99 a month for a year, I've had Netflix forever and feel attached. Plus everytime I think "cancel Netflix," something comes out and I watch it. Hulu should go next, but they have the shows I used to watch on Netflix (like Schitt's Creek, Bob's Burgers, Archer) and Handmaids Tale. Peacock could go, but they are like $2 a month or something. I like having HBO for movies or when friends with kids come over. Disney is only 2.99 as an add on to Hulu. So really it's like $32 for Hulu, HBO,and Disney; Prime is paid yearly + $1/month for Paramount (And we subscribed with my university email.) I guess I should cancel my prime next year as we don't even use the shipping (don't order off of Amazon unless absolutely necessary, and it takes longer than ordering direct now that they built a warehouse here. Apparently everything has to go to the east coast, get stomped on a few times, and then come back a month later.) 

45 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I think you can get ESPN+ with regular Hulu. I don't know if that includes live sports or not. We subscribe to an NFL streaming thing that is paid in bitcoin and I do not know how or if it even legal but it's worked for years and I don't have to do anything. 

I don't know anything about Hulu live, it is basically the same price as cable and we don't need anything other than sports live, but it appears it includes MLB and NCAA. 

I have Prime, Netflix, Disney, Hulu, HBO, and Paramount and I don't know which to drop. Paramount is like .99 a month for a year, I've had Netflix forever and feel attached. Plus everytime I think "cancel Netflix," something comes out and I watch it. Hulu should go next, but they have the shows I used to watch on Netflix (like Schitt's Creek, Bob's Burgers, Archer) and Handmaids Tale. Peacock could go, but they are like $2 a month or something. I like having HBO for movies or when friends with kids come over. Disney is only 2.99 as an add on to Hulu. So really it's like $32 for Hulu, HBO,and Disney; Prime is paid yearly + $1/month for Paramount (And we subscribed with my university email.) I guess I should cancel my prime next year as we don't even use the shipping (don't order off of Amazon unless absolutely necessary, and it takes longer than ordering direct now that they built a warehouse here. Apparently everything has to go to the east coast, get stomped on a few times, and then come back a month later.) 

Since Nebraska sucks, most games are on the Big Ten Network. We barely watch the NFL. 

24 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Since Nebraska sucks, most games are on the Big Ten Network. We barely watch the NFL. 

Looks like you can sign up to watch just Nebraska for $10/month or $80/year. Seems kind of expensive but you know, I already have way more streaming channels than I can possibly watch. https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/page/home 

26 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Looks like you can sign up to watch just Nebraska for $10/month or $80/year. Seems kind of expensive but you know, I already have way more streaming channels than I can possibly watch. https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/page/home 

We can add a sports package in sling tv for $6 a month that includes all the Channels that carry games. We will probably only have that from August —November. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 1

They and their senseless promoters need to recognize that saying something does not make it so.

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic