IGNORED

Harry & Meghan 12: Prodigal Prince, Immature, Paranoid, Whiner, or Fully Justified?

Coconut Flan

49 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

They and their senseless promoters need to recognize that saying something does not make it so.

A lot of people are saying it, though. They are getting a lot of awards, attention and money. What a great life they have built for themselves. Enviable, really.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 1

23 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Not everyone agrees with this statement or with Harry and Meghan getting this award.

That's true of anyone getting any award. They've won it, nonetheless. I'm sure that helps confirm that they did the right thing, and makes them very happy. 

• Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Honey, the majority of the “awards” they have received are bought and paid for which is a common Hollywood PR game. Come back when they are given something even slightly legitimate. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

A lot of people are saying it, though. They are getting a lot of awards, attention and money. What a great life they have built for themselves. Enviable, really.

Who is saying it? If their names weren't on the cover and at the top of this thread, I wouldn't know who they were. She looks like every other instagram model and he looks like a lost Helmsworth brother. 

I don't envy the famous. Especially when it's not something that they earned, just something they were born into or forced into by their parents. Nor do I  envy people who are "awarded" random prizes/titles by having their PR department work with magazines to find a prize for them. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

The same people that say all the stuff to Trump??? 

Oh right. Those people still exist despite my attempts to forget them. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't envy the famous.

I agree! I wouldn't want to be famous. However, H&M seem to have gotten everything they wanted. They have a platform to speak out on issues, without the restraints of the Royal Family. Obviously this is because of Harry being a prince. However, they have gotten everything they wanted and are probably quite delighted with how things worked out.

Fame is inevitable for them because of Harry. They really have no choice in the matter. Harry will never be able to go to a restaurant without being recognized . It's been that way all his life. They did take a big step away from "fame" by moving to California, where people are far less obsessed in the royal family than Londoners. But they'll always be recognized.

I'm sure they're glad to be in California now, enjoying the freedoms of private citizenship, than be in rainy, cold London, where they'd be opening schools and leisure centers with the press criticizing everything they do.  It was. a wise move all around (though it sounds like the Palace would love to have them back!)

On 11/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

@just_ordinary Are we living in the same country? Your description would fit Germany and I agree, while many people like to complain about the fee for the national television, I really do enjoy that fact that their independent reporting can‘t be bought by some big company. 

Interestingly enough almost all European countries have a publicly funded national broadcaster. Either financed through a fee the broadcaster levy themselves (Denmark, Germany & UK), collection companies (Austria & Switzerland), tax or similar to tax collected by the state (Sweden, France, Iceland, Finland, Norway & Lichtenstein) or it gets collected via a different fee such as energy (Slovakia, Portugal, Greece, Italy & Turkey). Other states pay them out of the state coffers- which could mean their program is open to influence from governments. Not that the other options ensure a hundred percent the nations broadcaster is unbiased and independent in its content. 
Almost all do have troubles though to justify their financing model with the content and reach they have. And especially right wing parties love to bash them. The BBC and DR (Denmark) have already restructured which means firing people and streamline distribution and content. Maybe others too, but I don’t know about it. Germany is trying…

Since people are very free to find content to whatever (niche) interest they have and can choose to watch what they feel like when they feel like it, it is impossible to cater to this for the national broadcast. People are not willing to watch whatever is on tv just to watch tv. Which means you can’t produce content for the mass anymore. Not in the linear distribution world. This defragmentation is quite the problem for publicly funded broadcasters because many don’t find exactly the programming they would prefer. And obviously people always claim it’s not objective enough, not investigating enough, not enough high culture - when most rather watch easy tv like I an celebrity, masked singer or strictly come dancing instead of a documentary about Money, listen to Händel or a balanced political talk. 
And while I absolutely support a critical discussion and reform- I rather pay for them myself to ensure as much independence from politics and companies as possible than get just a mouthpiece for whoever pays the bill.

(not saying that some individuals are always unbiased in their content and don’t fall into nepotism)

Sorry for the thread derail…….

Edited by just_ordinary
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

And obviously people always claim it’s not objective enough, not investigating enough, not enough high culture - when most rather watch easy tv like I an celebrity, masked singer or strictly come dancing instead of a documentary about Money, listen to Händel or a balanced political talk. 

I'm amused - the Australian national broadcaster used to be criticised by the same demographic for being too high brow (opera! Documentaries! Political discussion!) and "out of touch with ordinary Australians". Now it's being criticised for being too low brow ("24 reporters for the Queen's funeral? What is this, the Women's Weekly Magazine??") 

• Upvote 1

I imagine that if Harry and Meghan accept the Ripple of Hope based on the reason of them fighting against "the racist Royal Family", then that would be them fully agreeing that the Family itself is racist.  Not the people in gray suits, not the press.  The Family.  If this happens, I think it will make reconciliation that much harder. 

Edited by TN-peach
fix quotation marks
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Not that I think Neil Sean has the inside track on anything, but he's used as a source:

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has reportedly started scrambling in his bid to distance himself from the upcoming docuseries, which many warn may ‘flop badly’.

Royal commentator and commentator Neil Sean made this admission, according to a report by Page Six.

and

He believes Prince Harry is beginning to ‘hate’ everything because, he Meghan Markle “wanted to use the documentary to present themselves in a brand new light, as hard-working people.”

https://www.geo.tv/latest/455089-prince-harry-meghan-markle-distancing-from-netflix

I think if they want to be viewed as hard-working people, then they should start with actually being hard-working and stick to things instead of hopping from one hot thing to another.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 4

On 11/28/2022 at 7:20 AM, TN-peach said:

I imagine that if Harry and Meghan accept the Ripple of Hope based on the reason of them fighting against "the racist Royal Family", then that would be them fully agreeing that the Family itself is racist.  Not the people in gray suits, not the press.  The Family.  If this happens, I think it will make reconciliation that much harder. 

You mean if they speak the truth, and call out racism, they might not be able to reconcile with racists?

• Move Along 4

You mentioned letting the press dissect H&M but the BRF has fed the press stories about H&M for years. Don't get me wrong, Harry & Meghan are more than capable of making their own bad press (they really are their own worst enemy), but nobody will ever be able to convince me that the BRF didn't spill to the press about them to distract from Andrew's scandals. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, viii said:

You mentioned letting the press dissect H&M but the BRF has fed the press stories about H&M for years. Don't get me wrong, Harry & Meghan are more than capable of making their own bad press (they really are their own worst enemy), but nobody will ever be able to convince me that the BRF didn't spill to the press about them to distract from Andrew's scandals. 

Considering the timing of the trailer release for their Netflix docu series, I have a hard time pitying Harry and Meghan for being the poor victims of PR games.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Considering the timing of the trailer release for their Netflix docu series, I have a hard time pitying Harry and Meghan for being the poor victims of PR games.

Oh, the trailer release is 100000% petty game. H&M knew exactly what they were doing. Any time William and Kate have a significant event, there's usually something that comes from California. William and Harry have played against each other for years now. 

This trailer was cut for maximum drama. Dramatic cuts, dramatic coloring, dramatic sound effects, dramatic everything.  Like one of those based-on-a-true-story videos about  unsolved murders.  ("What is her uncle hiding? What happened to her body? Is her boyfriend telling the truth? Find out more after these commercials") Makes me want to see it but not necessarily trust what is being said.  I like my documentaries dry.   I don't know, I guess I just trust the content less if the directors go all out on the theatrical  effects and clearly strive for the sensation.   Of course it doesn't make it untrue, necessarily, just gives the impression that the shock value takes the priority.

And this is the trailer and the actual documentary remains to be seen.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/meghan-and-harrys-netflix-trailer-declares-war-on-william-and-kate/news-story/fcfac90ec03ff8d784f5b13524bdf8cc

I don't have netflix so I'm going to miss this. *sadface*   But I trust y'all to faithfully report the highlights :)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Makes me want to see it but not necessarily trust what is being said. 

This is where I'm at. I can't wait to pop my popcorn, drown it in dill pickle seasoning, and enjoy the heck out of this reality show - I mean, documentary. 

• Upvote 9

The trailer left me the adjectives maudlin and overly dramatic.  If they don't do better on the actual product, then their viewers will be the readers of the tabloids.  For all I know, that's their preferred audience.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

The trailer left me the adjectives maudlin and overly dramatic.

Left me with the verb "cringe" but I will probably watch it.

It bears repeating:

• M has experienced stunning levels of racism in the UK press & possibly considerable racism from sectors of the BRF & its allies.
  • H & M are incredibly entitled and fairly clueless.
  • The "documentary" is a significant component of H & M's business which is promoting themselves.

ALL of these things can be true.

• Upvote 16

I thought the trailer was rather dumb and overdramatic.  I'm sure I'll watch at least part of if; I signed up for Netflix last week for something else.

10 hours ago, viii said:

Oh, the trailer release is 100000% petty game. H&M knew exactly what they were doing. Any time William and Kate have a significant event, there's usually something that comes from California. William and Harry have played against each other for years now. 

I think Netflix has control over when the trailer is released. Why would Netflix give up that control to Harry and Meghan? They never would. 

• Fuck You 1

The shooting and camera angles reminded me of that magazine spread Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie did years ago. The one where it was a mid century modern house and they were dressed all fancy with the kids.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

You can blame (or credit) Netflix for that.The trailer is their property and under their control. Harry and Meghan are not THAT powerfull.

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The trailer left me the adjectives maudlin and overly dramatic.  If they don't do better on the actual product, then their viewers will be the readers of the tabloids.  For all I know, that's their preferred audience.  

It surprises me that people who dislike Harry and Meghan would watch the trailer. In any event, they are the talent. It's unlikely that they edited the video, added the (maudlin music), etc. 

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic