IGNORED

Bates 31: When Will They Go Away?

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

Well, I don't think 30 year old couches are comfy at all. Like 30 year old matresses. I just don't get it. 

I’ve come across brand new furniture I thought was horribly uncomfortable 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think it just depends on the furniture. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

Yeah, we definitely sat on couches when we were shopping that we’re not comfortable at all - just depends! 

Also, appliances - my parents have had the same washer and dryer for as long as they’ve been married - 30 years!!! Ours came with our house when we bought it; we think they were 5-10 years old? But we just had to replace the washing machine because it broke and was not repairable.

Edited by Keys
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Keys said:

Yeah, we definitely say on couches when we were shopping that we’re not comfortable at all - just depends! 

Also, appliances - my parents have had the same washer and dryer for as long as they’ve been married - 30 years!!! Ours came with our house when we bought it; we think they were 5-10 years old? But we just had to replace the washing machine because it broke and was not repairable.

My mom had the same giant microwave they got for their wedding for over 20 years before it died. Then the next one she bought only lasted a few years! It’s crazy how some can last a very long time while others are pieces of crap. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

Our dryer is about 35 years old and it still works OK.  The dryer does not turn offf when you open the door is you either need to carefully time when you get the clothes out or you need to turn the dryer off.  The lint screen is in bad shape as well.  They don't make those kind of link screens anymore because they suck.  .  Lint traps in the door are much better.  

• Upvote 4

I had exclusively used furniture for years, even used beds/mattresses, because I just had very little money.  The first thing I bought when I started working after grad school was a new mattress and box spring.  I felt like the fanciest person alive!  Of course now I've been out over 9 years and we bought a new couch with end tables a few years ago and a glider when my daughter was born.  Everything else is used, but eventually will be replaced as needed.  Wooden furniture I feel like can be used if good quality.  I want a knotty pine hutch for my kitchen that'll match the original cabinetry and I don't think I'll find that new anywhere.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom had the same giant microwave they got for their wedding for over 20 years before it died. Then the next one she bought only lasted a few years! It’s crazy how some can last a very long time while others are pieces of crap. 

Once everyone had a washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, the manufactures new that in order to continue making money, they had to make products that were less durable. This forces people to buy things over and over again. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 6

Most of my furniture is used because when I bought my first home last year, I didn't own any of my own (I had been living with my parents), I had an entire house to furnish on a budget, and I was living in a major city where people were constantly selling things on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I knew exactly what I wanted to buy and set up email alerts for my search terms so I could be the first person to message the seller and jump on a deal. I wanted higher end furniture that looked trendy.

If I had been living in the much smaller city I'm in now (less than 100,000 people compared to my previous metro area of 5 million), this wouldn't have been possible. All the furniture people sell here seems to be from the 90's or earlier and has wear and tear, yet is priced for the same amount it was purchased at.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Unless I would be really tight on money I would not want used fabric/leather furniture. A table or a cupboard is fine but a used couch of which you don’t know what happened on it would make me uncomfortable.
Unless it’s from family of course, we started of with my in-laws old couch but bought our own as soon as we could.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Once everyone had a washer, dryer, fridge, microwave, the manufactures new that in order to continue making money, they had to make products that were less durable. This forces people to buy things over and over again. 

I read that about the light bulb. I guess when they were first made, they lasted forever. Like a ridiculously long time. But then everyone bought their needed light bulbs and the need for new light bulbs went way down. So they remedied that by making light bulbs last only a fraction of the usual time. 

• Angry 1
  • Thank You 1

I used to inspect assisted living facilities for my job. The large number of bed bug infestations I saw has really scared me away from buying used cloth furniture. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

I used to inspect assisted living facilities for my job. The large number of bed bug infestations I saw has really scared me away from buying used cloth furniture. 

This is exactly why I never will either. My bug anxiety would never allow it.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

We didn't buy furniture when we were younger- we got hand me downs from various family members who knew we were starting out. Now we are in our late 40's, kids are grown, and we have bought some really nice furniture over the past few years. I can honestly say my mother in law's used flex steel sofa (that we gave to our daughter and her husband, circle of life lol) is more comfortable than the new one I got. It's dated looking and the cushions are a bit misshapen, but man that thing just begs you to take a nap on it. 

• Upvote 4

I only had used furniture as a young adult. Now I'm a bit more worried about bed bugs and am sensitive to fragrances/chemicals, so it's harder to tolerate if, say, someone uses fragranced laundry detergent.

But still pretty much ikea-only since we have little kids and cats and I like the washable covers. I have splurged on a few mattresses and recently bought some robot appliances. Had no idea the robot-vacuum would be a game changer. NGL, eyeing robot mopper and robot litter box soon. 

I'd spend $$$ on that over household furniture/decorating any day.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

I only had used furniture as a young adult. Now I'm a bit more worried about bed bugs and am sensitive to fragrances/chemicals, so it's harder to tolerate if, say, someone uses fragranced laundry detergent.

But still pretty much ikea-only since we have little kids and cats and I like the washable covers. I have splurged on a few mattresses and recently bought some robot appliances. Had no idea the robot-vacuum would be a game changer. NGL, eyeing robot mopper and robot litter box soon. 

We’re first-time parents to a 4-month-old babe, and let me tell you, one of my biggest stressors has been our inability to effectively clean the house since having her. We used to clean the whole house religiously every week. Now I’ll have time to sweep/vacuum a few rooms while she’s sleeping, but then won’t have time to mop. Then by the time I get around to mopping, there’s dust/hair etc collected again (shoutout to postpartum hair loss too lol). Or stuff on the floor from the un-swept rooms gets tracked to the swept ones. We are seriously considering either a robot vacuum/mopped or a biweekly house cleaner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, Keys said:

We’re first-time parents to a 4-month-old babe, and let me tell you, one of my biggest stressors has been our inability to effectively clean the house since having her. We used to clean the whole house religiously every week. Now I’ll have time to sweep/vacuum a few rooms while she’s sleeping, but then won’t have time to mop. Then by the time I get around to mopping, there’s dust/hair etc collected again (shoutout to postpartum hair loss too lol). Or stuff on the floor from the un-swept rooms gets tracked to the swept ones. We are seriously considering either a robot vacuum/mopped or a biweekly house cleaner. 

I don't know why I waited so long to get a robot vacuum. Game changer. Can't afford regular cleaning service, or I'd do that, but I bought the Eufy vacuum. You obviously have to get the things up off the floor, and it takes a while, but then it just quietly does its thing. Hoping the robot mop works just as well. It's way cleaner than my irregular efforts and it motivates me to keep toys and other things up too.

Though baby wearing is pretty decent for getting cleaning done if you enjoy doing it yourself - it's once they become mobile that I give up entirely -haha

I wouldn't use a robot vacuum if you have cats. Ours went over a pile of puke one day and my day (days really) was ruined lol.

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 2

My cats rode the robovac.  That doesn't help either although it's quite entertaining.  

• Haha 16

10 hours ago, Keys said:

Snap. 25 years ago when my two were babies I was totally houseproud.  My wonderful Health  Visitor realised how stressed I was. She told me quite firmly that babies never died of dusty skirting boards.  I learned to relax and not looks too closely! Took a while though. We did  hire a cleaner once a week to Hoover and mop all floors. That helped allay some anxiety.  I still have to stop me self from fretting bout dust under the radiators though!! 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

On 10/25/2022 at 4:24 PM, Melissa1977 said:

Am I the only FJ member who buys brand new furtinure? When I had my first appartment I was in a tight budget, but I managed to purchase basic items. My home style is very important for me, I need things that go together and that make me feel relaxed. Some furtinure styles (busy, barroque or too colorful) make me feel uncomfortable. 

When I moved, I bought all new furniture. I got it all on a budget too. Wayfair for most things. I can't deal with used furniture. I was also looking for a specific look so I had to buy new. I'm like you, nothing in my place is too colorful or busy. I need minimalistic look to feel comfortable. 

On 10/26/2022 at 8:14 AM, Knight of Ni said:

There was a bed bug infestation in the local movie theater, I swear I didn't go back for years. I can't deal with used furniture. I also don't buy used clothing. I start itching just thinking about all the stuff that could be on it.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

We got the litter robot about a month or so ago. I am a bit disappointed with it to be honest. It seems glitchy- it'll stop halfway through the cycle and then we have to go reset it. Our cat has been obsessed with it and will watch it do its thing and then steps into it which also stops the cycle. And when you empty it, the smell is nightmarish. It's kind of like just delaying the inevitable. It comes with an app for your phone, and my husband is constantly talking about our cat's... daily routines now. 🤮

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

We got the litter robot about a month or so ago. I am a bit disappointed with it to be honest. It seems glitchy- it'll stop halfway through the cycle and then we have to go reset it. Our cat has been obsessed with it and will watch it do its thing and then steps into it which also stops the cycle. And when you empty it, the smell is nightmarish. It's kind of like just delaying the inevitable. It comes with an app for your phone, and my husband is constantly talking about our cat's... daily routines now. 🤮

We had the same issues with the litter robot at first too. While it's less glitchy now, one thing that helped me was downloading the app to my phone so I can at least see when it's stopped and be able to reset it immediately. I wear a mask when I empty it to at least not inhale a literal pile of shit (and wee). While it isn't perfect, it's made my life incredibly easier with our two cats.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Years ago we had a Roomba. I was unimpressed. We had to have the battery replaced x2 in short order and I didn’t feel it picked up all the hair. I switched to a Swiffer that I use daily with the special pet pads and then a couple of times a week I use the Dyson Animal for a more thorough cleaning. No cats, but 2 Goldens.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I don't know why I waited so long to get a robot vacuum. Game changer. Can't afford regular cleaning service, or I'd do that, but I bought the Eufy vacuum. You obviously have to get the things up off the floor, and it takes a while, but then it just quietly does its thing. Hoping the robot mop works just as well. It's way cleaner than my irregular efforts and it motivates me to keep toys and other things up too.

Though baby wearing is pretty decent for getting cleaning done if you enjoy doing it yourself - it's once they become mobile that I give up entirely -haha

Yes, there was a short period of time where the baby wearing saved me too, and I was able to get more done! Now she’s more easily awoken if I’m going to town scrubbing the floors with the mop lol. Also won’t sleep independently yet if I put her down in her crib. So the struggle continues 🙃

12 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Snap. 25 years ago when my two were babies I was totally houseproud.  My wonderful Health  Visitor realised how stressed I was. She told me quite firmly that babies never died of dusty skirting boards.  I learned to relax and not looks too closely! Took a while though. We did  hire a cleaner once a week to Hoover and mop all floors. That helped allay some anxiety.  I still have to stop me self from fretting bout dust under the radiators though!! 

Aww same here, so many people have told me that too! It bothers us, too (like walking on the floor and feeling things under your feet - shudder). We had another conversation about it just today, and are now actively looking for a house cleaner haha. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

My cats rode the robovac.  That doesn't help either although it's quite entertaining.  

Mine do this too! It entertains the children as well - haha! Between those things, it's kind of worth the pricetag anyway, but also my floor quality is much improved. I bought the "Eufy" and it was a win.

12 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Oh NOOOO! Don't ruin my dream! I bought a refurbished one, which made the price tag a bit easier to swallow, and have all my hopes pinned on it - it should arrive sometime in the next few days. TBH, anything will be an improvement over the current situation, but I really want it to be magical. 

Haha to your husband monitoring their poos - I don't think I'll bother with the stats - just want it clean. 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Oh NOOOO! Don't ruin my dream! I bought a refurbished one, which made the price tag a bit easier to swallow, and have all my hopes pinned on it - it should arrive sometime in the next few days. TBH, anything will be an improvement over the current situation, but I really want it to be magical. 

Haha to your husband monitoring their poos - I don't think I'll bother with the stats - just want it clean. 

Roll Away littler box. I hate digging for treasure so this worked so well for me: 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic