IGNORED

Bates 31: When Will They Go Away?

Coconut Flan

6 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

And in my age group (Baby Boomer/GenX cusp) because you were starting out and didn't have much money to spend on decor, you took pretty much whatever anyone had to offer you and made it work with your taste the best you could and the best you knew how.  That's how it was when I got married in 1993 and bought our house a year later (which we are still in).  Any friend or relative that had a piece of hand-me-down furniture or bought/passed down to us anything that was functional, such as curtains, we took and used, even if it wasn't exactly what we would go out and buy for ourselves.  I still shudder to think of the ugly 70s rust and green plaid love seat with wooden decorative front arm panels in our den that was passed down from my sister-in-law who married in 1987, who previously inherited it from her/my husband's parents.   But as much as I despised it, it was one less piece of furniture we had to worry about buying and cheap solid colored cotton throws and throw cushions soon became my best friend. 

When I was in college and right out of college, it was definitely that way for us too. My friends from college got married after college. But their homes had a lot of hand me downs mixed with wedding gifts. It’s sort of amazing to me that these young people have all this brand new stuff that matches perfectly. If the Bateses never had the tv show, I’m guessing their houses would be filled with thrift store furniture and hand me downs. The Bateses have way more money in their early 20s than a lot of mainstream people their age. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

55 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was in college and right out of college, it was definitely that way for us too. My friends from college got married after college. But their homes had a lot of hand me downs mixed with wedding gifts. It’s sort of amazing to me that these young people have all this brand new stuff that matches perfectly. If the Bateses never had the tv show, I’m guessing their houses would be filled with thrift store furniture and hand me downs. The Bateses have way more money in their early 20s than a lot of mainstream people their age. 

Yep. And we traded furniture. We gave an old inherited couch to my SIL and they gave us an old inherited fridge- and what about how these folks buy the house and immediately Reno it with new flooring, kitchens, wallpaper, appliances, landscaping…unheard of when we bought our first fixer upper in 1982.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Yep. And we traded furniture. We gave an old inherited couch to my SIL and they gave us an old inherited fridge- and what about how these folks buy the house and immediately Reno it with new flooring, kitchens, wallpaper, appliances, landscaping…unheard of when we bought our first fixer upper in 1982.

I call it the HGTV effect. And I actually really hate it. Because people will very often think they can do a good job doing Reno themselves. Which means they cover hardwood floors with ugly gray vinyl planking, paint all the old and beautiful wood trim white, and paint the brick fireplaces white/gray/black. They rip out a ton of original character and move in 5 years. Then the next family paints everything again. 

• Upvote 15

I'm 50 years old, and I've bought a kitchen table (the same butcher block top with white legs that everyone owned), a glider rocker, a bed, and an IKEA dresser (I'm picky- it's one of the few I could find with nice deep drawers). Everything else is hand me down. I've never been picky about home furnishings, although I love kitchen textiles. 

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 6

My kitchen table, buffet, living room side tables, living room chairs, are all second hand most are older than 50 years old. I just make do with what I have. And I tend to like older stuff. 

• I Agree 4

Carlin, Lawson & Josie (so far) are sick right now with various respiratory symptoms.

They were all at the wedding, so who will be next to admit they are sick? Or will they be quiet?

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

The Bateses already spread around Covid since the pandemic started. I’m sure this is just a second or third round for them. 

There was a Pearl adjacent fundie family that flipped their shit when their son had to get routine vaccines before he was put on the heart transplant list. The hospital ended up getting death threats because of the stink they made. They finally gave in and he had his shots. He did fine with the shots and was given a heart transplant. He’s doing so much better now. But guess what. In the last month, he was taken to the hospital because he had caught three fucking viruses. That poor baby. I’m guessing his parents aren’t being very careful about keeping him away from a lot of people and a lot of germs. When my toddler cousin had cancer, everyone stayed away. This was before Covid too. No one wanted to give the baby a virus. So if they visited it was outside. I can’t imagine going through a heart transplant with a child and then not at least keeping him in a bubble for the first 6 months after. It has only been a few months since his transplant. These fundies think they know everything and god will protect them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 1

33 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My kitchen table, buffet, living room side tables, living room chairs, are all second hand most are older than 50 years old. I just make do with what I have. And I tend to like older stuff. 

And you are being sustainable.  Just like the Bates Sisters promote "fast fashion," the Bates kids are addicted to "fast furnishings"-- they order cheap online stuff that has to be put together, rather than refinishing/repurposing more solid used furniture. 

They don't give a damn about filling up landfills.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

And you are being sustainable.  Just like the Bates Sisters promote "fast fashion," the Bates kids are addicted to "fast furnishings"-- they order cheap online stuff that has to be put together, rather than refinishing/repurposing more solid used furniture. 

They don't give a damn about filling up landfills.

Part of me sees a positive side to the supply chain issues. Getting furniture can take a lot longer now. So can new cabinets. Therefore maybe these types aren’t buying as much as they used to. 

• I Agree 2

Either Covid or the cold got them. I saw multiple people with blankets at the wedding and most people were not appropriately dressed for the weather.

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, SeekingAdventure said:

How does one shoot himself with an arrow? Pointed bow and arrow towards the ground, had it ready and accidentally let go and shot his foot? 

I obviously have no idea about hunting or shooting with arrows etc, but it seems astoundingly stupid to be able to shoot yourself with an arrow. It would also be stupid if someone else in the group accidentally shot him, but himself? I'm absolutely flabbergasted how that would happen to anyone with more than two brain cells..?

If this is a 'common problem ' i'd love to be educated 🤯

Sadly, it's possible. I mean it was an accident, but lets just say we had to rush one of our friends to the ER for bow and arrow injury. I won't go into details but he still has a gnarly scar on his hand.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

You know what I love love love about the 70s home decor/furniture/houses? The bathrooms! I love the dark green tiles with the brown toilets. Or the rosé tiles with pink sink and toilers. Or the turquoise tiles with blue sink and toilet. I mean the wooden walls or these carpets out of the 70s make me shudder, nopedy no. But our wonderful bathrooms from the seventies (or late sixties)? I would not renovate them even if I had the money. The pre-owners of our house took good care of them, we are very lucky. 

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

You know what I love love love about the 70s home decor/furniture/houses? The bathrooms! I love the dark green tiles with the brown toilets. Or the rosé tiles with pink sink and toilers. Or the turquoise tiles with blue sink and toilet. I mean the wooden walls or these carpets out of the 70s make me shudder, nopedy no. But our wonderful bathrooms from the seventies (or late sixties)? I would not renovate them even if I had the money. The pre-owners of our house took good care of them, we are very lucky. 

I’ve come to appreciate some 70s decor. I like some of the lighting, some of the dark wood trim, and some of the tiles. The colors are usually pretty warm. Which I like. I’ve never much liked orange but I’ve always liked green. And there’s always a lot of olive or avocado green. Which I like. 

• Upvote 1

@JermajestyDuggar oh yes the lighting. You are absolutely right. We have some wall lamps which spend this wonderful passive light instead of direct light which would come from the ceiling lights. 70s style. We need special light bulbs for them but it is worth it.  

Edited by Scrabblemaster
  • Upvote 1

So many people have a normal cold right now. I felt like I would get one but with a good night of sleep the feeling went nearly away. Luckily. I typically get a cold around this time of the year, fingers crossed I had none so far. 

But in our area the Covid numbers are rising again,too. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

So many people have a normal cold right now. I felt like I would get one but with a good night of sleep the feeling went nearly away. Luckily. I typically get a cold around this time of the year, fingers crossed I had none so far. 

It’s definitely cold and flu season. When my kids’ school made them wear masks, they rarely ever caught anything. The week they got rid of the mask mandate, my kids and do many other kids passed around a cold. And it’s been that way ever since. People can argue all they want that masks don’t keep Covid from spreading. But I’m 100% positive they help stop the spread of colds! 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

24 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

In my area, Covid numbers are dropping. Most everyone around here has been sensible, some even still wear masks. I had my 3rd booster this weekend and Walgreens was packed with people getting theirs. They did say flu would be bad (I got my shot at the same time as the booster), so I can see a lot of people getting the flu. 

• Upvote 1

Carlin and at least one other are going off travelling again. Whether or not it is Covid, flu, or just a cold, what part of not going out and spreading illness everywhere do they not understand? It isn't stuff they have to do, just stuff they want to do, and bugger everyone else they come into contact with. We know they won't wear masks, even while they are actively sick. Very Christlike.

There are almost no mask mandates here now, except in public transport, where most people are compliant. I've been to the opera a few times in the last month, and masked up - it was about 50/50, though the staff and non-wind/brass players in the orchestra are masked and they have signs recommending it - there was a bit of coughing, it's hard to see whether the cougher was masked or not in a big room.

But I was at a small concert last weekend, and only about 10% of people were masked (not sure if the Austrians are more anti-mask than the Germans though). The average age was at least 15 years older than in the opera, and there were several unmasked people coughing heavily throughout the performance - not even properly covering their mouths. We moved our seats away from them in the interval. I have avoided Covid so far, and would like to keep it that way. Though my partner's father has just got it the second time, and now has his elbow operation postponed. So, my partner is now staying away from me - and everyone else - for a few days to make sure he doesn't pass it on.

Also, I have enjoyed not getting a cold for the last 2.5 years. It really makes me rage, now that masks are cheap and easily available, there is no excuse for not spraying your disgusting germs everywhere. Not just on the audience, but do they think someone who sings for a living wants to be out of commission with a hacking cough and infected lungs?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

In my area, Covid numbers are dropping. Most everyone around here has been sensible, some even still wear masks. I had my 3rd booster this weekend and Walgreens was packed with people getting theirs. They did say flu would be bad (I got my shot at the same time as the booster), so I can see a lot of people getting the flu. 

Well covid here is on the rise again, just got my 4 th pfizer shot today. Hospital numbers are rising again , especially with the 70+ crowd :(😞.  Intensive care numbers are not yet sky rocketing but are going  up steadily  none the less. I so hope with the 20% inflation, gas prices and home  crisis, we do net get plummeted into another covid one also. Mind you I'm in europe,  not the usa. And yes people are over it , although it was still quite buzzing at the vaccination center. But none of my collegues nor friends are getting the 4 the shot. That worries me , we still need to protect our elderly 

Edited by ven
Fat fingers
  • Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I was on a plane last weekend sand almost no one was masked. People are just over it. 

My partner last flew to the UK last month, and I think it was still compulsory. Now I'll have to check for his flight later this month. We are planning to visit my mum at Christmas, I have only seen her once since this started. Really hoping there'll be compulsory masking on flights. She came over just before last Christmas, and left the day before non-essential travel was shutdown. I'm actually a bit worried seeing the numbers are going up in the UK (1 in 50 is CV+ apparently), though I haven't checked the rates here. Will be getting my fifth jab next week, so if I do get it, I hope it won't end up giving me ARDS & septic shock like whatever flu-y type thing I had a few years ago. But, she is 73 and diabetic, so I don't really want her to risk coming to see me, either. I wouldn't be so pissed off at people not masking (even though I just don't get the problem) if the people who are actually coughing and sneezing could be trusted to be the slightest bit considerate. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

This made me laugh since I have a light blue toilet & sink in my 1/2 bath. I love it though, and think it looks nice with the darker brown cabinets and trim. The house was built in the late 60s and definitely needs updating—paneling as far as the eye can see. But I’d keep my 1/2 bath the same. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

My grandmother's house was built in the 50s, and I was always so jealous of her pale pink bath. sink and toilet. There was even a matching pink soap dish recessed into the wall. My house was built in the 70s, and each house had a different bathroom colour. I hated the avocado we had, but the neighbours on either side had purple and orange. The radiators were painted to match, and they still had the matching carpet tiles too, bleurgh. My current flat is early 80s, and the bathroom  is beige :( Still, until we have a catastrophic plumbing disaster, it stays. As do the 80s kitchen cabinets. Oddly, the beige bathroom tiling and the  dark blue/white kitchen tiles are quite cool, so it has its compensations. And since I spend as little time as possible in the kitchen anyway, I rarely think about it.

Furniture: I have a Hepplewhite buffet arriving tomorrow -- free, picked up off the street. A few dings, but that just makes it look like it's been in my family for years! I don't get the trend for EVERYTHING brand new all the time.  And every time I've moved in somewhere new I've been skint from moving costs, mortgage costs, etc: there's no way I could afford in new furniture. Plus, I've gotten more compliments on my dining room table than any other piece of furniture I own -- courtesy IKEA's As-Is section and a can of Minwax furniture stain.

Travel: I wore a mask for my transatlantic flight last month when it was mandatory, but I don't think they're required any more. Nonetheless, I'm masking on any public transport even if I'm the only one. I haven't got this plague yet and I don't want it.

Bates: Christians are supposed to love their fellow men. To me, that includes caring for their wellbeing. I don't enjoy wearing masks, but I do it for everyone else, as well as protecting myself. I wish the Bates shared this view of Christianity.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

When I was a kid, my mom got an old dresser for cheap from an acquaintance. It’s a very cheap and light weight dresser. So every time I moved as a poor college kid or young adult, I moved that dresser because it was just so easy to move! I really didn’t want a heavy hardwood dresser to move every year. So I kept it. I moved it into our current home 12 years ago and I still use it. It’s not nice looking but it’s completely functional. So I keep it. My mom doesn’t understand. It’s just in my ugly bedroom and it serves it’s function so why not? She thinks it’s ugly and I should get at least a new hard wood antique dresser instead. Meh. I just don’t care enough to look for a new antique dresser I like. Go pick it up. And then move it up my narrow staircase. I’d rather just keep the functional one until it falls apart. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic