IGNORED

Bates 31: When Will They Go Away?

Coconut Flan

I defintiely thought the George Floyd remark was why they were cancelled and that they took a month to figure out if they could go on without whoever said it. I am in the camp that it was Nathan who said it and I think that lead to the cancellation as his wedding was going to be one of the major events of the season and they couldn't just scrap it without a) acknowledging the incident and b) making it clear it was Nathan who said it (which the family might not have agreed too) and so the entire show was cancelled but the reason was never disclosed and they were able to keep face publically. 

• Upvote 8

If one of the Bates boys had been arrested for entering the Capital I think we would have heard about it. They are D list celebrities who are friends with C list celebrities (the Duggars). I tend to think Josh's arrest on horrifying charges was the beginning of the end for the Bates. Especially as the Bates have made it clear they are good friends with the Duggars. 

• Upvote 9

It may be a combination of all of the things. The boys at the capitol, the George Floyd comment and the movie. Something else may have happened during filming, as well in addition to the previous issues. Up may have just said, nope, we're out!

• Upvote 9

How many of them will be on a third or fourth round?

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

I think Carlin and Nathan are 100% the scapegoats in the cancelling situation. Not saying that what they said and posted was right in the slightest, I just find it super hypocritical to block them out and act high and mighty when they themselves spout those same gross beliefs. If you don't think there is a divide just look at Carlin's current treatment from her family during her medical scares, something is up. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, displayname said:

If you don't think there is a divide just look at Carlin's current treatment from her family during her medical scares, something is up. 

I don’t think Carlin’s relationship with her family was the result of the TV show cancellation. It’s so hard to tell what her relationships are with family members through social media. We know that Carlin and Whitney seem like besties through work, vacations, date nights, family nights, but I’ve never seen Whitney actually help the Stewarts. Whitney’s help could be more indirect, like doing more of the BSB work, I suppose.

• Upvote 6

If it wasn't posting one of her brothers making that hateful "joke" (probs Nathan) then I wonder what she did that warrants their current treatment of her. As for Whit her help could be more effort put into their shared business, idk, but it does seem like the family has quietly disowned her. You get a couple of posts in those picture story dumps from her parents, but they seemed centered on C and E's kids.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Whitney seem like besties through work, vacations, date nights, family nights, but I’ve never seen Whitney actually help the Stewarts.

I get your point, but she has 4 kids, a business and has been rebuilding a house (is it finished?). That's the problem when everybody is having kid after kid, nobody has time to help nobody.

I don't think Bates blame Carlin for the show cancelation. While the racist statement could be the reason, I suspect Gil's actions behind the cameras can be part of it. It is speculation but I think he's as wicked as JB and other Gothardites patriarchs.

• Upvote 2

How long was it between Nathan's faux pas being posted and the cancellation?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I get your point, but she has 4 kids, a business and has been rebuilding a house (is it finished?). That's the problem when everybody is having kid after kid, nobody has time to help nobody.

I don't think Bates blame Carlin for the show cancelation. While the racist statement could be the reason, I suspect Gil's actions behind the cameras can be part of it. It is speculation but I think he's as wicked as JB and other Gothardites patriarchs.

They have so many kids they can’t even take good care of the kids. Heck, Kelly can barely name her own kids and has to write birthdays down on paper as a prompt. You know how in most families there is a “baby” that gets babied by everyone else? Well, in the Bates family you get to be the baby for weeks, not years - It’s so odd.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Whitney just got a sink like a week or two ago.. they are living in the house, but it is very much a work in progress. And if Carlin is cutting down her hours at all, then Whitney is likely picking up slack and I don't know what else she can do because she is rebuilding a house, homeschooling two kids with two other small ones at home, and running a business. I also think (based on something she posted) that she may be pregnant again.

• Upvote 2

And the documentary about IBLP was announced in December. There could have been multiple contributing factors to their cancellation. 

• Upvote 17

Wikipedia has the breakdown of seasons, episodes and dates aired that I included below. In 2015, 2016 and 2017 they aired two seasons each year. 2018-2021 they only did one season a year, and the number of episodes was fewer for the year than when they did two seasons a year. 

The last season (season 10) was only 12 episodes, the previous season was 22 episodes, so I am wondering if something changed and there was a reason for the shorter season. The last episode premiered June 24, 2021, so if they had planned to have a second shorter season in 2021 I would think they would have premiered it before November 17, 2021 when Carlin's video was posted, thanks @GuineaPigCourtship

All speculation of course, but with the shorter season 10, and subsequent cancellation I wonder if there were already some conflict or issues. UPtv no longer airs Bringing Up Bates, and I doubt the Bates get royalties so why not air it two hours a week after investing 10 seasons and seven years into the show. To contradict myself based on the premiere date of season 9 on March 5, 2020 I'm guessing most if not all of season 9 was recorded prior to covid shutting down everything in mid march 2020. I don't watch the show, so it is possible covid is mentioned in season 9. Filming the rest of 2020 and early 2021 may have been limited because of covid, and could explain the shorter season 10, so maybe I'm making something out of nothing. 

It has been said they were filming for the 11th season and had a fair amount of footage, but chose to cancel the show, that plus no more reruns makes me think it is much larger than Carlin's video. 

Bringing Up Bates

Specials 10 episodes aired December 31, 2015-February 20, 2020

Season 1  13 episodes aired January 1, 2015-March 26, 2015

Season 2  14 episodes aired June 4, 2015-September 3, 2015

Season 3  14 episodes aired January 2, 2016-April 7, 2016

Season 4  25 episodes aired June 2, 2016-December 29, 2016

Season 5  15 episodes aired January 5, 2017-April 13, 2017

Season 6  16 episodes aired June 1, 2017-September 14, 2017

Season 7  20 episodes aired January 4, 2018-June 21, 2018

Season 8  24 episodes aired January 3, 2019-November 21, 2019

Season 9  22 episodes aired March 5, 2020-August 27, 2020

Season 10  12 episodes aired April 8, 2021-June 24, 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_Up_Bates 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

25 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

I doubt the Bates get royalties

Reality TV does not pay residuals especially not UP and TLC.  The participants are not guild members.    Since the confederate room and the underweight horses didn't stop them among other things even being in DC for January 6, I've doubted that a brief clip from Carlin would end the show ugly as it was.  I'm leaning toward something with Gil came up in the research for the documentary.  The way they announced it, I think it was something we don't know and they didn't want to tell us.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Reality TV does not pay residuals especially not UP and TLC.  The participants are not guild members.    Since the confederate room and the underweight horses didn't stop them among other things even being in DC for January 6, I've doubted that a brief clip from Carlin would end the show ugly as it was.  I'm leaning toward something with Gil came up in the research for the documentary.  The way they announced it, I think it was something we don't know and they didn't want to tell us.  

Or a combo thereof. Plus, it would have been a big season. Much of it already filmed, some edited based on the start date, with many more big stories to come. Many engagements, weddings, babies - regular & miracle, new houses/reno's & Carlin's health issues = big reality storylines = bread & butter $$$.

As others have pointed out, they also don't have to pay residuals on reruns, so that's free content for late nights, weekends, marathons, etc.

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 8

I wasn't aware of the no re-runs. That seems significant and points to a greater break with the family. Agree that there were ways they could have excused the Carlin clip and/or excluded Nathan or whomever it was who said it from the show if it was only that.

I mean, maybe they were aware of the Duggar connection but not truly aware until Josh's trial? I don't know anything about the entertainment industry. I'd imagine somebody researched all of that before taking the Bates on, but maybe not. Or maybe the details surrounding the trial and looming IBLP expose combined to make it too much.

Also agree that there's probably a reason no one wants to talk about it. If it was about the racist remark, I'd think they'd maybe make a statement strongly condemning that or something. Perhaps they know their viewers might not appreciate that, but it seems odd to not name that if it was the case.

I admit that my antivax theory is a stretch but I don't think a studio could comment on someone's medical choices for privacy issues, right?

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 2

On 8/27/2022 at 3:08 AM, CanadianMamam said:

I also think (based on something she posted) that she may be pregnant again.

What did she post?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

What did she post?

She was answering some asks and one was “do you want more kids” and instead of being vague or coy, it was “absolutely yes”, this if you take into her account her  typical spacing, the timing is right. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I’m guessing 6 kids for Whit and Zach. A large family for mainstream standards. But small for Bates standards. 

• Upvote 7
  • Confused 1

This will absolutely cause many people to comment asking why the show was cancelled. And I’m guessing they won’t answer:

8042C936-67D2-4F2F-B426-C3D39D2D604D.jpeg

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This will absolutely cause many people to comment asking why the show was cancelled. And I’m guessing they won’t answer:

8042C936-67D2-4F2F-B426-C3D39D2D604D.jpeg

Or they are hinting/teasing a comeback.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m guessing 6 kids for Whit and Zach. A large family for mainstream standards. But small for Bates standards. 

I think so too. And Jadon is 14 months old, so Whitney being in the early stages of pregnant would add up time wise.

• Upvote 4

Lots of people have said they miss the show and some asked if it will come back. No answers yet. I doubt they will give any sort of definitive answer. Maybe a vague one that basically answers nothing.

• Upvote 5

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bates are pissed the show was cancelled and do petty things like this to get their fans to ask the network why did you cancel them. The Bates will feign innocence and say the decision was made by the network we (the Bates) loved making the show. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic