IGNORED

Bates 31: When Will They Go Away?

Coconut Flan

So sad. I don't think she ever really recovered from covid, which made her lungs more vulnerable. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 3

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kelly’s step dad died of Covid and now her mom died of RSV. How sad. 

I’m sure they will now be more respectful of health notices and mask up as needed, stay home when sick and vaccinate! 🙄 

RIP to grandma and step-grandpa!! 

• Upvote 16

Oh wow, that’s so sad. We think of RSV being more dangerous to babies, but it can be brutal for older people too. 😞 prayers for them. 

• Upvote 10

Michael and Alyssa are the only Bates grandkids who’ve acknowledged their grandmother’s passing so far. Sounds about right. Saw videos from Carlin, Josie, Lawson and Whitney today after they would have heard the news.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Carlin posted within the first 15 minutes.

Didn’t catch that. Saw her doing her makeup, pushing hair pills, at the boutique and at the big house. Maybe it was before all that.

• Upvote 2

I had always assumed there was history of family estrangement there given Kelly's veiled references on the show. I think that was pretty standard for IBLP adherents in 80s/90s that they cut off contact with extended family. But it seemed like in later years there was more connection. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Now Carlin and Whitney have done IG posts about their grandma (in law). When they live their entire lives on social media, it seemed rude to ignore her. But within a day is acceptable. It was pretty obvious that she was a distant second place to Gil’s beloved parents who all of the grandkids gush about.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Now Carlin and Whitney have done IG posts about their grandma (in law). When they live their entire lives on social media, it seemed rude to ignore her. But within a day is acceptable. It was pretty obvious that she was a distant second place to Gil’s beloved parents who all of the grandkids gush about.

Which is weird because they aren’t IBLP. They always voiced their concerns over having that many children. So it makes you wonder why they are closer to the Bates parents. Kelly seemed to care a lot about her dad who died a long time ago. 

• Upvote 8

Kelly's parents were divorced and the kids were split between the parents.  I think there were some "issues."

• Upvote 18
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Kelly's parents were divorced and the kids were split between the parents.  I think there were some "issues."

Kelly's mom adopted 2 girls when Kelly was at college. I have the feeling that mom started a new path of life and maybe Kelly felt off. The fact that the adopted sisters are black and Kelly had her infamous confederacy room is very telling IMO.

Gil's parents are clearly against quiverful cults, but they are conservative Christians, and maybe (speculation) they helped Gil financially, so Gil and Kelly treated them as the granparents to worship.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Didn’t catch that. Saw her doing her makeup, pushing hair pills, at the boutique and at the big house. Maybe it was before all that.

She responded to Kelly's post. I guess she also made her own post today?

On 11/10/2022 at 12:37 AM, marmalade said:

She responded to Kelly's post. I guess she also made her own post today?

I saw a story she made the same day.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:43 PM, Melissa1977 said:

Kelly's mom adopted 2 girls when Kelly was at college. I have the feeling that mom started a new path of life and maybe Kelly felt off. The fact that the adopted sisters are black and Kelly had her infamous confederacy room is very telling IMO.

Gil's parents are clearly against quiverful cults, but they are conservative Christians, and maybe (speculation) they helped Gil financially, so Gil and Kelly treated them as the granparents to worship.

I always thought it was interesting how Kelly and Zsuzanna Anderson came from similar family situations, with the parents divorcing and they staying with the mother as the youngest while their older siblings went with the father. Maybe just a coincidence of course, but clearly it is not a healthy family dinamic. And i can see how someone who grew up like this would be charmed by the idea of a solid family unit and lots of kids in fundamentalism. 

• Upvote 7

I saw Kelly’s mother’s obituary. There is a visitation in North Carolina today and a funeral in South Carolina on Sunday.

I also looked at Kelly’s father’s obituary. Kelly’s adopted sisters Beth and Beka Miller were included as his daughters, but I also noticed that her mother’s second husband also had the last name Miller. Who was the adoptive father of these girls? Did Kelly’s dad originally adopt them and then they later took the name of her second husband?

I also didn’t realize, or forgot, that Nathan was named Kenneth after Kelly’s father. Kelly had a brother also named Kenneth with a granddaughter named Kenna.

Kelly’s mom was married four times. I know she was divorced from the first and widowed from the last. Does anyone know about #2 or #3? Her mom was a teacher and school librarian with a masters degree. What a different life she led from Kelly.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I think she was widowed from all of them but Kelly's father.

Sounds like my grandmother. Divorced my grandfather and was widowed twice after that. She refuses to get married for a fourth time even thought she’s had the same boyfriend for almost a decade. I think she’s gotten used to living alone and that’s why she won’t get married to her boyfriend. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

My grandmother did the reverse thing. She was widowed twice by the age of 26 and divorced her 3rd husband. Lived together with #4 but did not make it official. She was past being able to have a baby at that point so marriage didn’t seem that important. That one didn’t last either haha.

• Upvote 3

One of my clients has been with her boyfriend since 1997. She was married & has grown children who are triplets. Her husband died in 1994 of a heart attack.  She & her boyfriend live together in the house she raised her kids in. Her grandkids call him grandpa, they also can make medical decisions for each other. They have it in writing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

In Christian circles no matter your age - I think there's a push to marry (again) if you find a special someone, so you're not doing 'things' outside of marriage.

• Upvote 5

Deaths like this make me more furious than sad. These people don‘t believe in masking and are most likely antivaxxers. They fucking don‘t protect their elderly loved ones.

Of course this is all speculation, we don‘t know for sure.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic