IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 11: Scary Health Situation

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

I just finished watching their latest update where they show one of Carlin's episodes. WOW! I hope she'll be ok

I started watching it but couldn't finish - I felt  just too uncomfortable, intruding on moments that really should be private. What the hell is Evan thinking posting that kind of stuff on YouTube? Those kids have no sense of boundaries, least of all for themselves...

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 12

Okay I watched their newest video and I know I was very emotional last week about these two. These episodes Carlin has are absolutely scary. I have to say that these two gained respect from me, because they handle the situation way better than I thought they would. When I put everything aside that I disagree with them, I have to say that I am impressed now. They build a team and Evan supports Carlin as much as he can. The bar for a good husband is very low in their circle, I know. I could snark and say: "Of course he wants her to be healthy, he wants her to birth more babies for Jesus", but I don't get that vibe from him. When Evan says that he might not go to work for a couple of weeks, I did not expect that from him. When he says later that the doctors advised that to him too, I thought that he initially knew what was the right thing to do, but needed an authority to tell him he was right. That would normally have happened in private, and it is kind of age appropriate, I think especially when you grew up like them. And in his upbringing they are used to authorities which tell them what to do, mostly these are their parents or pastors, but in this particular situation a doctor is the highest authority.

Don't get me wrong, I still think they are kind of immature, should not share their life online, have hateful believes. But I have some hope for them to make adult decisions for their life. Even when it means to disagree with their parents. Maybe I am too naive-optimistic at this point. Well, let's see.

• Upvote 18

I think when a couple believes in birthing for Jesus, a couple would, health providing, birth babies after baby, year after year. The only couples (B/D) meeting this threshold are the Smiths and J/Kendra. I am not sure that beyond those folks ( and the Paines if health were not and had not intervened), none of the rest prescribe to that particular belief. This does not mean that many will not have larger families than most in society. It’s easy to have 2 kids in 3 years of marriage, much harder to go full Jesus army tilt and continue that pace. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I started watching it but couldn't finish - I felt  just too uncomfortable, intruding on moments that really should be private. What the hell is Evan thinking posting that kind of stuff on YouTube? Those kids have no sense of boundaries, least of all for themselves...

Carlin grew up like this so it’s normal to her. But Evan didn’t. So it’s weird.

• Upvote 12

@Nothing if not criticalI'm still not sure how YouTube works when it comes to money. I still can't believe people have actually got rich doing this. So I'm assuming Evan & Carlin will definitely need extra funds at the moment. Someone mentioned Carlin going on temporary disability. I too felt uncomfortable watching because the majority of their earlier content was happy. But Carlin seems very open about showing when life can get turbulent as well.

• Upvote 5

I just watched the episode and the seizures look really scary. Hopefully the neurologist they are seeing is able to help Carlin. Evan said he may need to take family leave for weeks or even months until the seizures are under control so i asume they are not really dependant on his income or they have enough savings. 

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

@Nothing if not criticalI'm still not sure how YouTube works when it comes to money. I still can't believe people have actually got rich doing this. So I'm assuming Evan & Carlin will definitely need extra funds at the moment. Someone mentioned Carlin going on temporary disability. I too felt uncomfortable watching because the majority of their earlier content was happy. But Carlin seems very open about showing when life can get turbulent as well.

Once you pass a certain threshold of watched hours and subscribers, you can monetize your videos and ads will run before or during the video - YT content creators get paid on the views of those ads. So the more viewers you have on your videos the more you make. Also depending on their niche some content creators are approached by companies with sponsorship opportunities - ie: talk about the Hello Fresh meal prep box and we’ll pay you X amount.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 5

I honestly respect them for posting the good and the bad and for posting just as much personal stuff about themselves as they do their kids. If you're going to overshare, be an equal-opportunity oversharererer.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I think sharing is fair game - they share their life and aren't super private people. I'm sure if Carlin didn't feel comfortable Evan would not have included the footage. Perhaps they also put it out there in case someone viewing recognized what was happening and could let them know what to do/try/test for next.

• Upvote 5

In youtube, drama pays better than happiness... 

There is not a single Bates who makes youtube videos just to entertain people or share their lives. It's a business and, now than Evan cannot work, Carlin needs youtube more than ever. 

And yes, at some point, youtube can become a real salary.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

In youtube, drama pays better than happiness... 

There is not a single Bates who makes youtube videos just to entertain people or share their lives. It's a business and, now than Evan cannot work, Carlin needs youtube more than ever. 

And yes, at some point, youtube can become a real salary.

I get that they may need the money - but it seems like such a sad existence to me, having to publish your most vulnerable moments for everyone to see. And I honestly didn't think Carlin seemed happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I feel genuinely sorry for them right now. They seem far too young to have to handle such heavy topics, and it must be horrible to live with that amount of worry and uncertainty. If they have to sell their last bit of privacy to make ends meet, that just seems cruel to me.

• Upvote 10
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I feel genuinely sorry for them right now. They seem far too young to have to handle such heavy topics, and it must be horrible to live with that amount of worry and uncertainty. If they have to sell their last bit of privacy to make ends meet, that just seems cruel to me.

At the same time, they did nothing to prevent such scary scenarios becoming more heavy, especially financially: They are Trumpers, vote nothing but Republican and we all know what today‘s GOP stand for: No government assistance (Carlin and Evan happily accept those payments now despite voting against it at ever opportunity) and especially no affordable health insurance for all. In addition to that they were against Covid precautions and as far as we know the vaccine.

So yes if you want to live under a Republican government you get exactly this: No protection or assistance in heavy situations that can happen to everyone of us. And Carlin and Evan are relatively comfortable in that he has a somewhat good paying job, Carlin has her boutique and Youtube plus they have access to good hospitals. There are lots of people who are way worse off in such situations.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 5

Carlin is an adult so she can consent to showing her vulnerable moments. But her kids can’t. If her child was in the hospital having seizure, I’m guessing that would be heavily featured on the channel too. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

I do agree that a lot of youtubers, including this family, often overshare.

But with Carlin still not having a firm diagnosis, they may be desperate to share the video and any details in case someone sees it and knows what's going on. Medicine is imperfect, and especially with something rare, sometimes it takes a little crowd sourcing to figure things out. Not that random people know better than doctors, but the video could reach someone who had the same thing happen to them postpartum. Who knows. I have seen people in the comments bring up the epidural. She had complications after her first one, too. I hope the neurologist is investigating all angles, including that one, and can get to the bottom of things.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

I got my COVID vaccine during pregnancy and I and my kid are fine. Just in case anyone is swayed by anecdata.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 17

Getting those videos are gold for the physicians trying to help her. A video says more than a thousand words.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I got my COVID vaccine during pregnancy and I and my kid are fine. Just in case anyone is swayed by anecdata.

I had my booster in pregnancy too (at 10 weeks)! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 5

I am glad they are sharing all this. Marriage is about in sickness and health, good times and in bad….I  glad to see Evan putting Carlin first.  He is definitely a keeper.  

I feel for both of them right now. I cannot imagine being in your 20s, relatively newly married and with a newborn having to address what they are dealing with.  

I realize they are not the only young married couple dealing with health issues.  Any situation like this is just sad. 

Edited by Tatar-tot
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

People make a lot of money from YouTube and social media. Lots of people. From all sorts of different philosophies and with different markets. I think it’s why people like JB or Gil might stress over show cancellations, but the adult kids with really active monetized online lives aren’t going to care as much. The show is more promotion and marketing for their online $$ than vice versa. 

• Upvote 6

I am so surprised that her family isn't helping more. FMLA isn't paid leave, it just means that Evan won't lose his job. I would have expected some of Carlin's younger siblings to come over and help her with the kids while Evan works or at least help them pack up and move!

• Upvote 3

I am guessing that she is seeing medical professionals in Nashville since that is where she was initially seen. I am glad the Stewart family is being so hands-on and Evan has really been impressing me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

The adult Bates who are married with kids of their own can not rely on G/KJ for extended help. There are just too many of them. The only person who might be able to help is Michaela as she doesn’t have any kids who depend on her. She is also medically trained, so might be a logical set of hands in a situation like this- It really is horrible for all concerned, and it’s a very good thing the Stewarts are able to pitch in. 

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

The adult Bates who are married with kids of their own can not rely on G/KJ for extended help. There are just too many of them. The only person who might be able to help is Michaela as she doesn’t have any kids who depend on her. She is also medically trained, so might be a logical set of hands in a situation like this- It really is horrible for all concerned, and it’s a very good thing the Stewarts are able to pitch in. 

Quiverful fundies like to say that many hands make light work. They like to pretend like having a big family means someone is always there to help out another. When really that isn’t the case at all because they pressure their children not to use birth control. Therefore their married siblings are all taking care of their own young children. They don’t have the time or the energy to help much. If Michael didn’t have infertility I bet she would have 4 young kids by now. Maybe 5.  She definitely wouldn’t have the time and energy to help Carlin out. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Quiverful fundies like to say that many hands make light work. They like to pretend like having a big family means someone is always there to help out another. When really that isn’t the case at all because they pressure their children not to use birth control. Therefore their married siblings are all taking care of their own young children. They don’t have the time or the energy to help much. If Michael didn’t have infertility I bet she would have 4 young kids by now. Maybe 5.  She definitely wouldn’t have the time and energy to help Carlin out. 

True. Sure, Tori might be able to watch the Stewart kids, but that would leave Carlin alone (if Evan needed to work, like many other partners in this situation might be required to do), which isn’t safe at this point. Plus, how optimum would it be for a pregnant Tori to be caring for 5 very young children (many toddlers and a NB)?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Plus, how optimum would it be for a pregnant Tori to be caring for 5 very young children (many toddlers and a NB)?

Won’t Tori be doing this in the future with her own kids anyway?  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic