IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 11: Scary Health Situation

samurai_sarah

I was under the impression that a lot of the Christian health sharing companies don’t cover preexisting conditions. That would keep a lot, if not all, of Carlins issues uncovered. 

• Upvote 2

They could also be getting assistance through TennCare, Tennessee's Medicaid program.  Per the eligibility chart, a family of four can make up to $5782/month or $69,375/year and still be eligible for TennCare benefits in some capacity. 

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tenncare/documents/eligibilityrefguide.pdf

I know they shill on YouTube and do pretty well with it, but is all that YouTube income taxable?   I admit to knowing very little about that industry and how it works.  I am figuring that they must be considered independent contractors or self-employed in this aspect and there is probably a way to deduct a good portion of the earned income on the tax forms.        

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:53 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Well, he signed up for the two babies and the wife.  And I imagine they believe in "in sickness and in health."  He's young and I don't have any complaints about his handling, either, but I think any reasonable spouse would be helpful and supportive.  Reasonable is probably the key word not describing every fundie would-be patriarch.

Studies repeatedly show that female spouses tend to be genuinely helpful and supportive when their spouse has an illness or injury, taking on more responsibilities and tasks, but, the majority of men do not.  As long as a woman is still capable of literally moving, she's still performing a disproportionate share of housework.  Additionally, while only 6% of spouses leave when their spouse becomes seriously ill, it is almost always the men who leave.

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 4

7 minutes ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

Studies repeatedly show that female spouses tend to be genuinely helpful and supportive when their spouse has an illness or injury, taking on more responsibilities and tasks, but, the majority of men do not.  As long as a woman is still capable of literally moving, she's still performing a disproportionate share of housework.  Additionally, while only 6% of spouses leave when their spouse becomes seriously ill, it is almost always the men who leave.

Although I know this is true and isn’t news to me, it still makes me sad to read. Women are conditioned from birth to be caretakers. All women, not just fundies. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 8

On 9/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, monkeyrocks71 said:

Additionally, while only 6% of spouses leave when their spouse becomes seriously ill, it is almost always the men who leave.

One of my favorite teachers in high school was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Her husband left her.

• Sad 15
  • WTF 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:03 PM, artdecades said:

I was under the impression that a lot of the Christian health sharing companies don’t cover preexisting conditions. That would keep a lot, if not all, of Carlins issues uncovered. 

Evan and Carlin have assets.  They can not afford on any level to go health insurance free.  The scamaritans only accept new customers who are healthy. Remember Teri & Steve Maxwell saying they would not qualify?  

• Upvote 5

Sounds like Carlin had another rough week. She passed out on the treadmill during a stress test. They are still awaiting the results on this week’s testing. The stress test might be inconclusive because the nurse caught Carlin when she passed out [as if there’s a safe alternative when a patient is losing consciousness]:(. But have no fear though, as despite the rough week and her health issues, today the Stewarts are jetting off to NJ. Does living your every day life really involve constant air travel for pleasure?

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 2

Carlin's Instagram stories make it sound like they're going to (or maybe already have) breed Izzie.

What is it with fundies and backyard breeding?! First the Maxwells, then the Mortons, now the Bateses...

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, indianabones said:

Carlin's Instagram stories make it sound like they're going to (or maybe already have) breed Izzie.

What is it with fundies and backyard breeding?! First the Maxwells, then the Mortons, now the Bateses...

I am pretty sure Izzy is fixed. I think they are getting one of Katie's puppies and bringing it back with them.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 2

Spoiler

Well, I hope she shared with her MD that home life and work stress her out. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3

Just now, CanadianMamam said:

I can relate..I have a hard time relaxing at home or taking it easy as there is always something that should be done. 

Yes, but are you having seizures and passing out as a result?

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Yes, but are you having seizures and passing out as a result?

I have a chronic health condition that sometimes lands me in bed for days at a time too exhausted to move and also causes my joints to suddenly give out without warning.

• Sad 1
  • Love 11

7 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I have a chronic health condition that sometimes lands me in bed for days at a time too exhausted to move and also causes my joints to suddenly give out without warning.

Yikes. That has to be really hard to navigate with a family. Stay safe!

• Love 1

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Sounds like Carlin had another rough week. She passed out on the treadmill during a stress test. They are still awaiting the results on this week’s testing. The stress test might be inconclusive because the nurse caught Carlin when she passed out [as if there’s a safe alternative when a patient is losing consciousness]:(. But have no fear though, as despite the rough week and her health issues, today the Stewarts are jetting off to NJ. Does living your every day life really involve constant air travel for pleasure?

I agree that I wouldn't travel/fly if I were dealing with these medical issues.

I'm confused about the bolded part. Carlin already hit her head and had a concussion when she passed out like a month ago. Plus the treadmill was still moving which seems like it would make passing out worse. Finally if you've ever fallen on treadmill, they tend to scrape up any exposed skin. It's not falling on the floor. I think the nurse catching her is good, although the passing out is still a problem. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I agree that I wouldn't travel/fly if I were dealing with these medical issues.

I'm confused about the bolded part. Carlin already hit her head and had a concussion when she passed out like a month ago. Plus the treadmill was still moving which seems like it would make passing out worse. Finally if you've ever fallen on treadmill, they tend to scrape up any exposed skin. It's not falling on the floor. I think the nurse catching her is good, although the passing out is still a problem. 

I guess the nurse’s intervention while totally appropriate given the dangerous situation, may have affected (or interfered with)the study results?? At least that’s what Carlin indicated. Sometimes I wonder if Carlin really understands what the medical personnel is telling her. Stress and illness can make fully understanding technical information more difficult. I saw that all the time when I worked in the Nicu. I hope she gets an answer with a decent solution. Carlin really seems to enjoy having an active life! 

• Upvote 10

13 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I am pretty sure Izzy is fixed. I think they are getting one of Katie's puppies and bringing it back with them.

You would think that even they are not stupid enough to bring in another dog (that needs training) while trying to juggle health issues, a baby, a new house and running a business.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Yikes. That has to be really hard to navigate with a family. Stay safe!

Thanks. I am four years into no official diagnosis, just a lot of "well, it's not this, it could be this" and that aspect is exhausting too. I actually have a great deal of sympathy for Carlin because I have been in her shoes and I am also a "do-er". 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 11

12 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I hope Carlin uses wheelchairs while at airports. That's alot of walking.

She had one in Las Vegas, both in the airport and at the trade show.

• Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic