IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could definitely see that. Hallmark has the monopoly on those movies and the pandemic made them even more popular. UP wants in on it. But it still makes no sense they wouldn’t air the last season they advertised. 

It also doesn't make sense not to show BUB since these movies will have a lot of the same audience. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It also doesn't make sense not to show BUB since these movies will have a lot of the same audience. 

I can see that. If you want to watch a feel good show without any cussing, sex or violence, Hallmark type movies and BUB check all those boxes. 

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Frankly I'm having a hard time thinking of something that their target audience couldn't just rationalize away and I can't come up with anything that isn't exceptionally terrible.

Yeah, I don't think it's related to anything political. I think it's either something really bad (repeated sexual assault with overwhelming evidence, or something to do with hurting a child) or it has to do with hurting a Christian organization, like Gil embezzling from a church or non-profit. 

• Upvote 7

I just have to point out that this is total bullshit. They saw their friends the Duggars making money off of exploiting their huge family on tv and decided they need to get in on that too. BUB isn’t their first rodeo. They were on the Duggars’ show all the time and of course they had “United Bates of America.” They absolutely set out to have a show. 

BC8B7767-ED65-45C0-905C-5CA205CAFBBD.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 28
  • I Agree 17
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I wonder if the Duggar trial made UP reevaluate. Even if there’s no specific scandal, anyone doing due diligence would have come across some horrible things online. They may conclude that the risk of potential exposure isn’t worth what have to be diminishing ratings. Even though something like Carlin’s video might not alienate their base, it may clue UP in that it’s only a matter of time for a Bates PR disaster.

Also, while we are super familiar with the depths of cultishness, mainstream people and even regular evangelicals may not be aware of the things Gothard has done and hidden. It could be that the Gil refused to drop his IBLP connection. I know Gil and Kelly are better marketers but I’m pretty sure they are sincerely all in with ATI. I suppose it could also be that some of the older kids wanted out. As adults, they carry a lot of the show and maybe they were done. The Bates aren’t as interesting with a handful of kids at home.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

Went and checked online for their church to see if anything was said and Gil's not at church tonight. One of the pastor's jokingly asked if the rapture had happened, guess Wednesday is scarce without the Bateseses to help populate the pews, haha. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 10

My first bet is on Gil and Jo because they are the lead of the show and have a ton of skeletons in their closet.

Second bet is on Nathan. He gives me Josh Duggar vibes. He has the same smug and dumb attitude.

Tiffy has to be gutted. I bet without the TV show she would never have gotten seriously involved with Lawson. She's another Jeremy she wants to be an "influencer" and reality tv star.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Question - is BUB actually owned and produced by UP or an independent company? If it is the latter, then the cancellation is a financial hit the production company and not to UP. So UP can cancel whenever without any financial hardship.

That isn't really how TV series production works.  Figure 8 is contracted with UP and they are paid as episodes are produced.  Figure 8 isn't financially big enough to front an entire season.  They produce one or two episodes of what they think is a viable series and then shop them.  They won't produce any more until they get a contract.  Production companies submit bills to the networks for review and payment on a monthly or per episode basis.  

Normally networks plan long range so it's very abnormal to be airing promos for a series the same day a cancellation is announced.  This does not sound like a network merger created the issue as that takes time to work through.  This sounds more like a panic reaction.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 18
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, eljayem said:

My first bet is on Gil and Jo because they are the lead of the show and have a ton of skeletons in their closet.

Second bet is on Nathan. He gives me Josh Duggar vibes. He has the same smug and dumb attitude.

Tiffy has to be gutted. I bet without the TV show she would never have gotten seriously involved with Lawson. She's another Jeremy she wants to be an "influencer" and reality tv star.

Without any hint in that direction, this is a very harsh accusation.

Mind you, I dislike the Bateses for their racism, sexism, and involvement with the IBLP cult, so I don’t usually defend them in any way. But to essentially accuse Nathan of pedophilia is a bit much.

Can we speculate that the unhealthy teachings on sexuality and the sheltered and homeschooled upbringing of the Bates children might lead to trauma, an unhealthy view of sex, etc? Absolutely, that’s based on facts. But to single out individuals seems like a step too far IMO. These people have so many faults that they absolutely deserve to be scrutinized for, why not stick with that? 

The only reason for the speculation about Nathan is that Josh Duggar, someone from another family, committed horrendous crimes against children, but that doesn’t mean we should accuse any young men we discuss here. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 28
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 7

6 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

That isn't really how TV series production works.  Figure 8 is contracted with UP and they are paid as episodes are produced.  Figure 8 isn't financially big enough to front an entire season.  They produce one or two episodes of what they think is a viable series and then shop them.  They won't produce any more until they get a contract.  Production companies submit bills to the networks for review and payment on a monthly or per episode basis.  

Normally networks plan long range so it's very abnormal to be airing promos for a series the same day a cancellation is announced.  This does not sound like a network merger created the issue as that takes time to work through.  This sounds more like a panic reaction.  

It depends on the product and the network. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

It is weird but UP is not a big, well funded, highly professional network.

Here is the guy that owns the channel.

My grandmother was a great fan of his father.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lizzybee said:

Went and checked online for their church to see if anything was said and Gil's not at church tonight. One of the pastor's jokingly asked if the rapture had happened, guess Wednesday is scarce without the Bateseses to help populate the pews, haha. 

Do all the kids attend Gil's church?

• Upvote 1

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

No, I don’t think all the adult married children do. I’m sure the ones living at home probably do. 

I just noticed a black model on the Bates Sisters Boutique for the first time. I honestly don’t remember them ever having a black model before. It just makes me wonder about the timing. Like maybe they want to use a black model to say, “see we are inclusive! We aren’t racist!”

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, I don’t think all the adult married children do. I’m sure the ones living at home probably do. 

I just noticed a black model on the Bates Sisters Boutique for the first time. I honestly don’t remember them ever having a black model before. It just makes me wonder about the timing. Like maybe they want to use a black model to say, “see we are inclusive! We aren’t racist!”

Is it one of Kelly’s sisters perchance?

2 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Is it one of Kelly’s sisters perchance?

No. She looks like a model to me. Like she had a beautiful face and a thin body that’s always wanted in a model. 

• Upvote 2

It depends on the product and the network. 

I'm specifically addressing series TV not other forms since that's what this is and that's how Figure 8 functions with their series that they produce.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Of the married children only Zach and Tori attend regularly, the others all have their own churches. We only know Tori attends Gil's church be wise Lawson has posted more pictures of Charlotte than she has. He often posts pictures with her on his stories if he is in town for church. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Carlin doesn’t. They post Sunday family pics at a megachurch and posted when they visited Gil’s for a revival awhile back. Though I don’t know how close all the brown kids are in proximity to the church so hard to say if it’s intentional or practical.

• Confused 1

I'm glad to see so many people telling UPTV that they're going to be cancelling their subscription over this; that network deserves to go under. BuB was the only successful original content they had and I don't think the re-runs of old shows is going to be enough sustain them. They knew who the Bates were from day one, because there was plenty of receipts of their dirty laundry before the show started. If you lie down with dogs, you get fleas. Maybe the network will finally be reaping what the sow, since they're no where close to as big as TLC is.

Edited by LanaBanana
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

Speculation on Reddit is that Erin and Chad are going Dillard with real therapy, distancing from family, and perhaps naming abuse as such. Seems a leap to me,  but I haven’t followed very closely. 

Someone else said that a Reddit member noticed a month ago that reruns had been pulled from UP programming. They were scheduled but different shows aired, so this may not have been as sudden as it appears or it may have been dependent on different things that only now came to light. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Yeah I mean clearly KJ was there for the birth of the new baby and made a point to spew all about it on Instagram. She also always reposts any video Cherin records, new products from their business etc. So maybe she is still on good terms with them or she’s just playing major PR or both. I did notice that Tiffany, Josie, Esther, Tori, and maybe Lawson? all acknowledged the birth of Finley but it seems to have been crickets from Carlin, Alyssa, Katie and Whitney…

• Upvote 4

I'd be surprised if Erin and Chad were the ones to leave fundiedom. They seemed to support his sister marrying Tim even after it became clear they knew about his past. They also seem to be as quiverfull as they can be with Erin's health issues. 

Erin left the boutique probably to focus on her health and her family, and possibly because her standards are more modest than Whitney's or Carlin's.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

It is definitely unusual to still promote a show while also announcing you are cancelling it. 

Planning tov program is often done pretty far in advance. In my experience six weeks till airing date is a pretty normal range when no major changes are made anymore if you don’t have to. And you start looking at the week/day as early as six months in advance. Even longer if you look at the whole portfolio and branding. And you always already have back up programming you can promote instantly. 

I doubt it’s advertisers. All the well documented incidents have happened months and weeks ago. If advertisers really had a problem, they would have at least not promoted the show. It’s a bit baffling and they most definitely have already paid money for it. Not showing it means the money is completely lost. 
The documentary will come out much later than the season would have run and I don’t think UP or its audience would be extremely bothered by it.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Whitney and Zach do, and Tori and Bobby I think. I know Erin, Carlin, and Michael go somewhere else. And then all the kids still at home of course go there. I think Nathan goes there. All their Sunday pictures with the stone wall in the background is at their church. 

• Upvote 1

19K&C was officially announced as cancelled the day Meredith Duggar (daughter of Anna) was born and BUB was cancelled the day Finley Paine was born. 

I don't think it means anything, but it's interesting.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic