IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

So do we think that Lawson and Tiffany's wedding announcement in relationship to this UP announcement was a total coincidence. or did the LawTiff announcement come in response to the UP announcement?

I'm narrowing down my cancellation theories to:

1. Something really heinous, like CSA, is coming out that UP has determined will scare off so many advertisers that it is worth pulling the plug on their top ranked show.

2. The Bates have done something to UPtv that has pissed off the UP leadership so much they are willing to cut them loose. Ridiculous financial/contract demands? Have the Bates been improperly being reimbursed for travel stuff? Did some really bad stuff go down during the Bates Italian engagementpalooza tour?

• Upvote 18

17 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

From what I saw the dumbass ran out of fuel within 5 minutes of take off.  People are looking for information.  

Should we do a poll for fun, guessing on what the cause could be?

• Info leaked to UP from the IBLP documentary being filmed
  • The George Floyd racist "joke" from Carlin's Insta
  • Criminal charges of a family member

If you want a poll I'll post one if we get another 7 guesses to make it to 10.

Please let it be MedicCorps

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

I was just looking at Jackson Bates instagram. His mother commented  that it was nice to have him home. Where has he been and in light of the current situation what has he been up to?

• Upvote 10

17 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm behind on Bates news, he has a concert?

I'm wondering if she'll still marry him without a show.  

He has people willing to pay to listen to him ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

Someone with more free time today might comb through some of these documents and see if anything sticks out: https://ministrywatch.com/analysis-financial-uncertainty-at-bill-gothards-institute-in-basic-life-principles/

Note also that while we already know about lots of abuse that happened at IBLP and it hasn't resulted in real hot water for Gil, the stuff that's come out so far was past the statute of limitations. If Amazon has someone on film saying that they were abused more recently, we could see real criminal charges coming for the first time even if the allegations are of a similar nature to what's already been alleged.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

It seems this has the potential to really affect The Older Bateses’ lifestyle. No fancy weddings for the youngest girls. I guess this is one of those situations where the middle kids fared better than the rest. And all that travel and restaurant meals, gone in a flash.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, MochaMom said:

I think it’s been brewing. Chad and Erin completely disassociating with everything. A couple of snarky comments between the siblings. It’s felt off for a while. 

Interesting!  Do you have details?  

• Upvote 3

Someone coming out or having an affair would be ratings gold, and the family could so easily spin it. “We are all praying. . .  .” 🙄 A fundie soap opera!  What could be better?And I just don’t think it’s anything political given that infamous Confederacy room. 

Got to be something major for UP to dump their highest rated show, perhaps endangering the very survival of the network. 
   While the timing makes it unlikely to be the documentary itself, as someone earlier suggested, it may be something uncovered while making it. I go with abuse or difficult-to-deny financial shenanigans. 

It’s shameful how much I am enjoying this.  😈

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, browngrl said:

I was just looking at Jackson Bates instagram. His mother commented  that it was nice to have him home. Where has he been and in light of the current situation what has he been up to?

He seems to travel a lot for work. 

• Upvote 1

I really hope the doc has uncovered proof of Gil and others doing heinous stuff in the  cult. Cover ups, scandals, fraud… Stuff that they can’t deny because there is hard evidence. Stuff that can take Gil to court. Stuff that can shut IBLP down for good. Pecan got out just in time. 

Just now, 0 kids n not countin said:

What does he do?  How old is he?

Construction. I think he’s around 19.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

I'm glad their show got canceled sooner rather than later.  Really hoping it's canceled for good and some other station, channel, or network won't pick it up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I'm guessing ( and hoping) something big and IBLP-related that will scuttle the whole cult. They've been financially dwindling for a while now haven't they?

Burn it down.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, ToriAmos said:

I'm guessing ( and hoping) something big and IBLP-related that will scuttle the whole cult. They've been financially dwindling for a while now haven't they?

Burn it down.

And really it cant be something as simple as an affair or someone coming out of the closet. This has to be criminal in nature, right?

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Sorry for making you all think about Gil Bateseses taint.

I think I just gave you a wholesome award on reddit for this, somewhat inappropriately… please think of it as a vomit award!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I really hope the doc has uncovered proof of Gil and others doing heinous stuff in the  cult. Cover ups, scandals, fraud… Stuff that they can’t deny because there is hard evidence. Stuff that can take Gil to court. Stuff that can shut IBLP down for good. Pecan got out just in time. 

Construction. I think he’s around 19.

Bolding mine; are David & Priscilla leaving IBLP

I'm going to need a LOT more popcorn for this ...

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

So an alternative theory, is UP being bought out or consolidating with another channel/brand?  Maybe BUB is actually just a victim of changes in ownership/management, etc.?  I know GAC (not sure if it's still being called that) is inking deals with various actors that have worked with Hallmark over the years to do movies with them now.  I believe their plan is to compete with Hallmark, but be more conservative and religious as well.  If something like this is happening, they may just want to get ahead of things and taking BUB off now because they're not planning on including reality tv in their line-up.  Or they may want to disassociate the new network from such a specific brand of Christianity and make sure they appeal to a broader Christian/Conservative base that may be bothered by the cult aspect of this family?  

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, caitrona said:

He left his job at IBLP to run his own church a while ago, no word that they've left the cult - it's just hasn't been his source of income for a few years now.

5 minutes ago, Melbelle said:

So an alternative theory, is UP being bought out or consolidating with another channel/brand?  Maybe BUB is actually just a victim of changes in ownership/management, etc.?  I know GAC (not sure if it's still being called that) is inking deals with various actors that have worked with Hallmark over the years to do movies with them now.  I believe their plan is to compete with Hallmark, but be more conservative and religious as well.  If something like this is happening, they may just want to get ahead of things and taking BUB off now because they're not planning on including reality tv in their line-up.  Or they may want to disassociate the new network from such a specific brand of Christianity and make sure they appeal to a broader Christian/Conservative base that may be bothered by the cult aspect of this family?  

I've never worked in television, but I've been in business a long time and those kind of massive changes are usually in place a lot longer than 2 weeks.  They were still filming as of a few weeks ago and they were still running commercials for the premiere of season 11 as of last night, after the cancellation was announced.  

If this is just a business decision it couldn't have been handled worse or wasted more money.

12 minutes ago, Zebedee said:

I think I just gave you a wholesome award on reddit for this, somewhat inappropriately… please think of it as a vomit award!

Thank you!  Every time I reply thank you to an award on there I accidentally open up a chat and then have no idea what to do 🤣

• Upvote 21

16 minutes ago, caitrona said:

He now is the pastor at Hilary Spivey’s church. Claire Spivey Duggar’s mother. They just threw Pris a really nice baby shower for #6. Lots of food and gifts. It’s not a tiny church. It looks like a decent size. A job like this is much better than a job at IBLP

• Upvote 11

39 minutes ago, caitrona said:

Got my snack ready  Freshly made right before I sat down

D1F08456-43EF-46AF-A894-9E31250657B2.jpeg

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Oh man I want to know what happened so bad.  As others have said, their base is conservative, republicanChristians so I doubt it has anything to do with their Covid takes, trump support, or George Floyd comments. 

I hope someone leaks the reason. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He now is the pastor at Hilary Spivey’s church. Claire Spivey Duggar’s mother. They just threw Pris a really nice baby shower for #6. Lots of food and gifts. It’s not a tiny church. It looks like a decent size. A job like this is much better than a job at IBLP

Why do all these fundys need baby gifts? Especially if they already have a metric ton of kids.  No hand me downs or buy used to save the difference?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

So, I've seen two things about the cancellation 

the first is carlin video

2. I heard something about a documentary exposing IBLP and ppl are saying that UPtv don't want the backlash.

Spoiler

2042013410_Screenshot2022-01-20at1_32_22am.thumb.png.06a91ab11ff7376db3ccc138c454d360.png

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Why do all these fundys need baby gifts? Especially if they already have a metric ton of kids.  No hand me downs or buy used to save the difference?

This is an area where current prolific procreators really differ from large families of bygone eras. In the past, there was 1 crib or a used second one and clothing, supplies were reused Xs a large number of babies. 

• Upvote 3

Up is a small network, low rated network most people have never heard of, just as most people have never heard of the Bates family. You don’t get rid of your number one show, while it is filming, and advertisements are running, because you want to go in a new direction. There has to be  a scandal brewing that they knew they cannot contain. If you look at the shows they have run, it’s more family friendly than evangelical. They used to run Gilmore Girls and Reba, so I don’t think fundies are their target audience. Up is small enough that loss of advertisers will hurt. They aren’t TLC, who is so huge, they can take the chance on coming out on top after a scandal. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic