IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

Known Bates scandals:

1. Gil and Erin's father-in-law covering for Bill Gothard including sex abuse allegations.

2. Known association with the Duggar family

3. Erin's sister-in-law's husband Tim Robertson. Erin and Chad seem to support the match.

4. The old Confederate room

5. Lawson and Trace attending the outdoor part of the insurrection.

6.  Carlin's little video with the George Floyd remark.

Now it could be any of these things or a combination of them. There's also Mediccorps and COVID to consider. However it could be a new scandal. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

In a lot of ways, the aftermath of the Duggar trial has created an ideal environment for people to step forward with new information. More public awareness of the problems with groups like the IBLP, more mainstream media outlets willing to listen, more places, especially online, where survivors can find support. If ever there was a time to drop a new bombshell, this might be it.

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 5

UP is a network targeted toward an evangelical Christian audience. Participation in the January 6th riots or a George Floyd joke wouldn't bother those people, or at least not enough to cause the sudden cancellation of Bringing Up Bates.

The Amazon documentary about IBLP? Maybe, if the documentary had already aired, but it isn't scheduled to come out until later this year or early next year. Even then, that documentary would have to be pretty awful to turn the Bateseseses fans against them. I'm sure those folks are already aware that IBLP is seen as a cult and that they engage in many questionable, and possibly illegal, activities. But it doesn't bother them. I would expect their reaction to the documentary (and to criticisms of IBLP in general) to be along the lines of: "No, I don't agree with everything IBLP does. But there's a lot of good things about that group. The media is persecuting Christians!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!"

The Bates family's association with the Duggars? I doubt it. The two families live in different states and don't seem to have much to do with each other on a day-to-day basis.

I am thinking either somebody did something illegal, or else something is going on that *will* offend UP's core audience-- for example, maybe a Bates kid came out of the closet.

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I know this could be weak, but maybe something related to the new girl Lidia Lidya or whatever is spelled? Something about her family and their status as refugees? 

• Upvote 5

Oh yeah there is no way this isn’t something quite serious. From what I recall BUB was/is their top rated show, and they had lots of content for next season with Lawsons courtship and the two weddings. You don’t go through all the trouble of filming just to cancel it weeks before a release date. Also as we’ve stated UP isn’t some major network, and the Bates aren’t as anywhere near the celebrity level as the Duggars. No Bates has ever had a People magazine cover or appeared on Good Morning America. This means they can let a lot slide because there wouldn’t be the level of public interest/outcry for change. This is UP trying to get out ahead of the issue and save face before any sort of news drops. It will be interesting to see if the Bates publish lots of “everything is normal and perfect” posts on Instagram in the coming days or if they go quiet. 
Snacking on all of this!

• Upvote 30
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

UP TV is not a major network. It's a small cable network. Too small for our large cable package. I wonder if the company is going under and the channel will disappear. BUB was it's one original show and staple. 

This may have nothing to do with the Bates and everything to do with cable losing to streaming.

I could see this too. I did notice lately that Kelly was promoting a lot on her instagram an uptv cooking show and they also promoted this cooking show on that very random facebook livestream they did in november. They usually do the livestreams the day a new episode airs so it was kinda strange for them to do a livestream in the first place. Then when asked when the new season was going to air Gil said february but was unsure about the date and he kept repeating to his fans to message up tv that they like the show etc. I remember thinking back then it was kinda strange and that maybe this was going to be the last season. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

It was the day before her gender reveal. So November 19. Lawson and Tiffany got engaged end of October. 

I get confused with all these timelines!

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I wonder what JRod is going to have to say about this.  She's running out of people with coattails to ride.

Nothing. Jrod is the Queen of the De Nile.

• Upvote 6

Even if the network was pivoting to a new format or new type of content, they wouldn't just dumb a whole season they'd already spent money on. BUB is what, half hour, an hour a week? Running the season isn't going to make it difficult for them to air other content, and allows them to recoup what they already invested in the show. 

Something is about to drop, and it makes me glad. 

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

There was a portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest in their house and that was all I needed to know just what kind of low life Gill Bates is.  

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

21 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

There was a portrait of Nathan Bedford Forrest in their house and that was all I needed to know just what kind of low life Gill Bates is.  

Didn't one of them say they like the name Forest? I wonder why they like it. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Knight of Ni said:

Didn't one of them say they like the name Forest? I wonder why they like it. 

Carlin did, she said it was because of the movie Forrest Gump that she had watched for the first time in her honeymoon.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, llucie said:

Carlin did, she said it was because of the movie Forrest Gump that she had watched for the first time in her honeymoon.

The first time on her honeymoon? That’s just crazy to me. I’m curious to hear all the other movies she’s watched for the first time after marriage. I bet they are movies that everyone has seen like Titanic or ET.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

I made the mistake of reading some comments from their fans on Instagram. These people don't care about the racism or the cult and UP knows that, so I don't think it is related to those two things. The fans were even claiming Gil runs the cult so he can improve things. These people are fanatical in their worship of the Bates. UP is going to lose money by dropping them, so it has to be something so terrible that it would cost them more money if they kept the show going. 

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I don't know much about the Bateseses, but I have a hard time thinking that Jan. 6 related stuff would cause a cancellation of an already-filmed season. Seems like they'd just run it with a disclaimer or re-edit it into a more documentary style or something in that case, because they know a lot of their audience couldn't care less about that stuff. 

It seems like it would need to be something seriously terrible for a whole season to just get dumped, after that amount of money was already spent making it. 

I keep thinking of just how much evangelicals are able to handwave away, if it suits them. They supported Palin back in the day, even as her unmarried teen daughter was standing right there super pregnant. They can support Trump, despite his vile, shady, criminal, unmoral, etc. character, even as he sends best wishes to Ghislaine Maxwell. 

Attending an insurrection wouldn't be something to cancel over, for their audience. Heck, if they got arrested for that it would probably help ratings - they'd use pics of them in the Capitol in advertising and paint them as patriots or something, and promise to follow the trial. 

Frankly I'm having a hard time thinking of something that their target audience couldn't just rationalize away and I can't come up with anything that isn't exceptionally terrible.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I don't know much about the Bateseses, but I have a hard time thinking that Jan. 6 related stuff would cause a cancellation of an already-filmed season. Seems like they'd just run it with a disclaimer or re-edit it into a more documentary style or something in that case, because they know a lot of their audience couldn't care less about that stuff. 

It seems like it would need to be something seriously terrible for a whole season to just get dumped, after that amount of money was already spent making it. 

I keep thinking of just how much evangelicals are able to handwave away, if it suits them. They supported Palin back in the day, even as her unmarried teen daughter was standing right there super pregnant. They can support Trump, despite his vile, shady, criminal, unmoral, etc. character, even as he sends best wishes to Ghislaine Maxwell. 

Attending an insurrection wouldn't be something to cancel over, for their audience. Heck, if they got arrested for that it would probably help ratings - they'd use pics of them in the Capitol in advertising and paint them as patriots or something, and promise to follow the trial. 

Frankly I'm having a hard time thinking of something that their target audience couldn't just rationalize away and I can't come up with anything that isn't exceptionally terrible.

All I can think of is really bad physical or sexual abuse or Gil embezzling from IBLP and getting caught.

Honestly, I don't even think minor physical abuse would get them a cancel with their crowd.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

8 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

All I can think of is really bad physical or sexual abuse or Gil embezzling from IBLP and getting caught.

Honestly, I don't even think minor physical abuse would get them a cancel with their crowd.

Agreed. At this point I don’t think even “minor” embezzling would get them cancelled. It took CSAM to get the Duggars cancelled. Whatever’s caused the cancellation is major. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

Gil is a natural scammer in my opinion. My guess is that Gil is in some sort of scheme to embezzle money or something similar. 

• Upvote 8

From the comments of their fans I don't think financial crimes would be enough to make them turn on the family.  It seems there is little the Bates can do to make their fans turn on them, but obviously there is something that UP decided is so bad not even the fans will stick with them. 

Come on Lawson! You know you want the attention that would come with spilling the tea!

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

weighing in with my two cents:

I don't think the cancellation has anything to do with the George Floyd comment - their audience probably thinks the same thing about George Floyd/BLM

I don't think it has anything to do with the insurrection - again their audience is largely composed of Trumpers who were there or wish they were there

Frankly their audience would likely forgive them for most things and they could easily spin most things by saying they had "strayed" from Jesus and turn it into some kind of redemption  testimony so it has to be something their audience would find so repellant the UP tv was willing to eat the costs of filming expensive events and cancelled on the day of a child's birth and wedding announcement. My money is on jail worthy charges or someone has come out as LGBTQ+

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

While someone coming out as LGBTQ would offend their core audience I don’t think that would result in cancellation. First off the family could easily state that they don’t condone that lifestyle, love the sinner hate the sin etc. It has to be something illegal and my guess is it’s also tied to a Duggar esque molestation and/or CSAM situation. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

I hope that Josh is spilling all of the abuse horrors of the IBLP to his psychologist.He has nothing to lose now; he’s in jail and going to prison. I want to see all of the IBF and IBLP homes for “troubled youth” shut down. Yes, it stinks that the Bates children who did not choose this life for themselves will be impacted by their father’s involvement with child abuse but it will prevent state sanctioned abuse of other children. The shows that glorify physical, emotional and spiritual abuse of children along with sexual abuse/repression need to be pulled from the air. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic