IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Gil is a natural scammer in my opinion. My guess is that Gil is in some sort of scheme to embezzle money or something similar. 

I do hope it is a financial scandal and not a CSAM crime. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

Any chance that it has to do with Bates scamming UPTV itself?  Somehow the Bates falsely getting reimbursed for things?

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

My guess is still embezzlement and that the IRS is involved and that all financials are being investigated and frozen and the main contract is with Gil, so UP is pulling the plug.

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, browngrl said:

weighing in with my two cents:

I don't think the cancellation has anything to do with the George Floyd comment - their audience probably thinks the same thing about George Floyd/BLM

I don't think it has anything to do with the insurrection - again their audience is largely composed of Trumpers who were there or wish they were there

Frankly their audience would likely forgive them for most things and they could easily spin most things by saying they had "strayed" from Jesus and turn it into some kind of redemption  testimony so it has to be something their audience would find so repellant the UP tv was willing to eat the costs of filming expensive events and cancelled on the day of a child's birth and wedding announcement. My money is on jail worthy charges or someone has come out as LGBTQ+

I agree that there is no bar low enough & no conduct egregious enough to cause the Bates’ far right fan base to condemn one of their ‘own’ - heck they worship their adopted false idol Trump. 
My question is how much influence do the advertisers have. When the Duggars show was first ‘paused’ a number of advertisers had pulled the plug on the show, could BUB advertisers be pulling out? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

43 minutes ago, browngrl said:

weighing in with my two cents:

I don't think the cancellation has anything to do with the George Floyd comment - their audience probably thinks the same thing about George Floyd/BLM

I don't think it has anything to do with the insurrection - again their audience is largely composed of Trumpers who were there or wish they were there

Frankly their audience would likely forgive them for most things and they could easily spin most things by saying they had "strayed" from Jesus and turn it into some kind of redemption  testimony so it has to be something their audience would find so repellant the UP tv was willing to eat the costs of filming expensive events and cancelled on the day of a child's birth and wedding announcement. My money is on jail worthy charges or someone has come out as LGBTQ+

I don't know why they would cancel if someone came out. That does not track with the audience. Many fundies and evangelicals deal with relatives and kids who come out and there are ways to spin and play that. If anything, that is ratings gold because it is something to which the fanbase can often relate. They are not getting canceled over a child's sexuality.

32 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

My guess is still embezzlement and that the IRS is involved and that all financials are being investigated and frozen and the main contract is with Gil, so UP is pulling the plug.

The IRS would not be involved in embezzlement, just tax fraud. Again, it's not going to be IRS-related because these types resent paying taxes.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

All I can think of is really bad physical or sexual abuse or Gil embezzling from IBLP and getting caught.

Honestly, I don't even think minor physical abuse would get them a cancel with their crowd.

I don't think embezzling on any level would do it either.  Most people wouldn't read the dry details and chalk it up to Christian persecution.  

I think this has to be something that would give even their audience a gut check like CSA or something that their advertisers wouldn't tolerate like actual involvement with the KKK.   I think @Alisamer hit it on the head with something exceptionally terrible.

The only thing I can think of outside of those scenarios would be something like Gil or Kelly having an affair.  If one of the kids did they could play it off as the black sheep and make it a story line, but if it were the parents then it outs the whole thing as the farce we know it to be.  

My money is on Gil and/or Kelly actively covering up CSA in such a blatant way there is no plausible deniability.  

55 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Come on Lawson! You know you want the attention that would come with spilling the tea!

One of my first thoughts upon waking this morning is how it's got to be killing all the Bates influencers to check their SM today.  Another one was I hope Gil and Kelly are shitting their pants over whatever went down.  

Does anyone know if the adult kids got paid in their own right, or if it was a Duggar type situation?  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2

27 minutes ago, sndral said:

My question is how much influence do the advertisers have. When the Duggars show was first ‘paused’ a number of advertisers had pulled the plug on the show, could BUB advertisers be pulling out? 

Oh, that's an excellent point. At what point does the loss of advertising revenue make it worth accepting the loss from having already filmed an entire season? 

I think their fanbase could justify nearly anything, really. They're super good at mental gymnastics. But advertisers? They could be scared off more easily. 

I still think for advertisers to jump ship it still must be something truly poisonous. There are plenty of potential advertisers who couldn't care less about racism or right wing issues. It'd be easy to frame a child coming out as an interesting story. So whatever it is, I think it's likely bad. 

• Upvote 11

What kind of assbackward court system has their public dockets in PDF rather than a searchable DB?  

http://www.andersoncircuitcourt.com/

Just in case anyone is bored and wants to see who has been arrested in their county.  I didn't recognize any names but I only checked January 2022.

8 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Oh, that's an excellent point. At what point does the loss of advertising revenue make it worth accepting the loss from having already filmed an entire season? 

I think their fanbase could justify nearly anything, really. They're super good at mental gymnastics. But advertisers? They could be scared off more easily. 

I still think for advertisers to jump ship it still must be something truly poisonous. There are plenty of potential advertisers who couldn't care less about racism or right wing issues. It'd be easy to frame a child coming out as an interesting story. So whatever it is, I think it's likely bad. 

I agree UP killing a filmed season has to be due to advertisers rather than morals or concerns about what their fan base will think.  It has to be something bad enough they know it will cause advertisers to pull out to avoid certain boycotts.  

With UP being so small does anyone know what kind of money they were pulling in?  Wondering if the sudden loss will be a huge financial hit to some of them, or if they made enough to have a solid nestegg.

Also, does UP pay for the weddings directly as a filming expense of sorts, or are the weddings paid for by UP in the sense that without the show they wouldn't have the money?  Also, would they have paid directly for the proposal in Rome, or just their own fees to film while Lawson and Tiffany paid their own expenses?  

• Upvote 11

43 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The only thing I can think of outside of those scenarios would be something like Gil or Kelly having an affair.  If one of the kids did they could play it off as the black sheep and make it a story line, but if it were the parents then it outs the whole thing as the farce we know it to be.  

I like that idea. Maybe one of them has an affair with someone from the UP crew, and maybe that affair was leveraged to finance the proposal in Rome and other extravaganzas, and when it all came out UP decided to immediately cut all strings to avoid any further embarrassment. 

It’s probably something terrible, though. Probably a cover-up of abuse and/or negligence, maybe a faith-healing death. There’s enough of that in the cult to go around.

Could there be a connection to Whitney’s family history?

• Upvote 6

I don’t think Gil or Kelly having an affair would be enough to get the show cancelled. The show is mostly about the kids who are married and Duggar fans always praised Anna for staying after Josh said he cheated on her. 

Gil is on the IBLP board, a lot of ex fundie iblp people have been speaking out after Josh’s arrest, and Amazon is making a documentary featuring all of them.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

36 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

With UP being so small does anyone know what kind of money they were pulling in?  Wondering if the sudden loss will be a huge financial hit to some of them, or if they made enough to have a solid nestegg.

Between UP being a small network and having so many family members to split earnings between, I can't imagine that the show alone was supporting most of the kids. I do think overall the Bates kids are in a better position than the Duggarlings when CO was cancelled. The married couples almost all have at least one partner with a real outside job, and many of them are in in-demand trades like HVAC, plumbing and electrical.  Most of the married girls have some sort of actual business too, like the boutique, Josie's accessories/wedding hair business, Michael's baby blankets, etc. Whitney, Alyssa, Carlin, Josie and maybe Katie probably make ok money with their social media platforms too. Not enough to support their families, but enough to supplement their other income nicely. So I think they're in a better spot than say Joe and Kendra or Jed and Katey whose finances remain a mystery. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

The extended Bates family social media empire is unusually quiet this morning! That is, except for Alyssa, who is polling people about what to put on her living room walls. Bless her heart, I think she’s going to be just fine. 

Actually, wait, the Bates fam stories have a video of Gil praising little Callie for doing all of the dishes and cleanup after having already done all of the cooking for dinner. Poor kid looks miserable. They’ve repeatedly said that she’s very sensitive and can’t stand for others to be upset. This must be a really tough time in the Bates home for a kid like Callie. 

Edited by Dominionatrix
Clarity
  • Upvote 14
  • Sad 8

2 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

Between UP being a small network and having so many family members to split earnings between, I can't imagine that the show alone was supporting most of the kids. I do think overall the Bates kids are in a better position than the Duggarlings when CO was cancelled. The married couples almost all have at least one partner with a real outside job, and many of them are in in-demand trades like HVAC, plumbing and electrical.  Most of the married girls have some sort of actual business too, like the boutique, Josie's accessories/wedding hair business, Michael's baby blankets, etc. Whitney, Alyssa, Carlin, Josie and maybe Katie probably make ok money with their social media platforms too. Not enough to support their families, but enough to supplement their other income nicely. So I think they're in a better spot than say Joe and Kendra or Jed and Katey whose finances remain a mystery. 

Totally agree they are in better shape financially.  Maybe JB should have taken note how that happens when people have actual jobs.  But the Duggar sons in law with actual jobs don't seem to be big fans of JB (at least two of them, anyway) so I'm sure he prefers to keep them on his dwindling payroll.  

They won't be able to just resume SM without addressing this, right?  I mean the people hitting their SM are humpers and snarkers, will they be able to go back to posting innocuous nonsense and matching outfits without addressing the elephant in the room?

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Gil is on the IBLP board, a lot of ex fundie iblp people have been speaking out after Josh’s arrest, and Amazon is making a documentary featuring all of them.

True, but is the documentary coming out soon enough for them to scuttle an entire season? I'd think they'd just put out the season, or as much of it as possible, to rake in the advertiser money and then after the documentary comes out be like "Oh, we had no idea what shenanigans were going on!"

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the documentary that FOUND whatever dirt is causing this, but I don't think it's general IBLP stuff. It's got to be something bigger. CSA, trafficking, Murdaugh type insanity, something big enough to scare off advertisers. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They won't be able to just resume SM without addressing this, right?  I mean the people hitting their SM are humpers and snarkers, will they be able to go back to posting innocuous nonsense and matching outfits without addressing the elephant in the room?

I actually think most of them will, although some may take a bigger hit in their followers than others, and a lot of mainstream brands might drop them as partners if whatever comes out is big enough, bad enough, and widely publicized enough to make brands want nothing to do with them. But since I strongly suspect that the issue is with IBLP and Gil, it’s easy enough for people to say the kids shouldn’t be punished for their father’s actions. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe this doesn’t make sense after the filming has already been done, but could this be like a Derick and Jill situation where the Bates kids have started demanding more money based on their storylines and popularity and UP just decided they weren’t worth the trouble? There are quite a few egos in this family.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

I actually think most of them will, although some may take a bigger hit in their followers than others, and a lot of mainstream brands might drop them as partners if whatever comes out is big enough, bad enough, and widely publicized enough to make brands want nothing to do with them. But since I strongly suspect that the issue is with IBLP and Gil, it’s easy enough for people to say the kids shouldn’t be punished for their father’s actions. 

I'm not saying people would pull out and punish them, but wouldn't they have to make some kind of statement about it?  Or can Erin for example just go back to posting whatever she posts (I don't follow them) without mentioning the cancellation without getting nothing but comments bringing it up.

I'm super annoyed the secret hasn't leaked yet.  I am not a patient woman.

4 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Maybe this doesn’t make sense after the filming has already been done, but could this be like a Derick and Jill situation where the Bates kids have started demanding more money based on their storylines and popularity and UP just decided they weren’t worth the trouble? There are quite a few egos in this family.

That could be if it wasn't renewed, but doesn't make sense to kill a whole season already shot under the current contract.   

Sorry, you already noted this and I can't read.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

@HerNameIsBuffy I think they might do half-assed statements about how much they’ve loved the chance to share their stories through the show, and now invite people to follow along on social media and YouTube. If/when bad info comes out, they  might also say they appreciate everyone’s prayers for their family, etc. 

Edited by Dominionatrix
Typo
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm super annoyed the secret hasn't leaked yet.  I am not a patient woman.

That could be if it wasn't renewed, but doesn't make sense to kill a whole season already shot under the current contract.  

I would think that if it was something simple, IBLP related, or something like that then there would be some sort of statement from somebody. A whole season already shot and in the can? That's a LOT of money to be just tossing out the window. 

I'd think UP would be putting out some sort of statement of what was going on - something that spins them as being morally upstanding. Along the lines of "We at UP are sad to announce that due to (insert shenanigans here) we cannot in good conscience continue to broadcast the Bates family..."

• Upvote 11

18 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

True, but is the documentary coming out soon enough for them to scuttle an entire season? I'd think they'd just put out the season, or as much of it as possible, to rake in the advertiser money and then after the documentary comes out be like "Oh, we had no idea what shenanigans were going on!"

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the documentary that FOUND whatever dirt is causing this, but I don't think it's general IBLP stuff. It's got to be something bigger. CSA, trafficking, Murdaugh type insanity, something big enough to scare off advertisers. 

I agree and don't think it has anything to do with a documentary that is very much under the radar for most people and won't air for almost a year.

@HerNameIsBuffy I disagree that embezzling from IBLP wouldn't get them canceled. If Gil is about to get arrested for stealing money, it would get them canceled. But the IRS coming after them, nah. That takes years anyway. I am trying to pay the IRS a lot of money for an error I made in 2018 and I can't get them to take my damn money even with an accountant.

• Upvote 14

24 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't know if it will matter.  I think a lot more people follow them on social media then watch the show.  I know I sometimes will check out stories/videos by Alyssa and Erin but have never once watched the UP show.  

• Upvote 2

And I am not sure how much a network like UP relies on advertising. Back when I had it, there was not much outside advertising. That is why Fox losing hundreds of ads has not destroyed Fox. These networks get fees for every subscriber from the cable and satellite providers. It also could be something as simple as the network changed hands Monday morning and the new owners want a whole new lineup and nothing to do with fundie mega families.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Many fundies and evangelicals deal with relatives and kids who come out and there are ways to spin and play that.

True - there are many people who deal with relatives and kids who come out but the group as a whole is not known for being inclusive of the LGBTQ community. I'm not sure they could spin it in a way that would keep their audience. If they tried to be accepting then part of their audience would be alienated and if they treated it like a choice that could be prayed away then another part of the audience would be alienated (and I suspect advertisers). 

Note: I might have a strong negative bias  about fundies/evangelicals because my views are largely based on the damage that is posted about on FJ so there is that.

• Upvote 4

I think it’s been brewing. Chad and Erin completely disassociating with everything. A couple of snarky comments between the siblings. It’s felt off for a while. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic