IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

18 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Why do all these fundys need baby gifts? Especially if they already have a metric ton of kids.  No hand me downs or buy used to save the difference?

I didn’t even want a shower for my second child. I hate hate hate having too much “stuff.” It drives me bonkers. Fundies see every baby as a blessing so they have to celebrate. It seems wasteful to me. I think a diaper/wipes/gift cards shower would make more sense. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

When I first about the cancellation,  I didn't know what to think.

Now I'm sure that whatever it is, it must be huge and we'll know about it.

The Bates' show is really the only original programming UP TV has. According to various sources, they were running promos for the new season during this week and the new season was scheduled for February 10, 2022. With less than a month, the new season filmed filled with expensive points of interest (two weddings and an engagement). 

If it was network chicanery, they could still air the new season. Also I think Gil and Kelly would be angry their show was pulled for no good reason. They sounded resigned in their press clippings.

I'm thinking it has to be something illegal, but I'm not sure what.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dbm said:

So, I've seen two things about the cancellation 

the first is carlin video

2. I heard something about a documentary exposing IBLP and ppl are saying that UPtv don't want the backlash.

Hide contents

2042013410_Screenshot2022-01-20at1_32_22am.thumb.png.06a91ab11ff7376db3ccc138c454d360.png

The person pushing the Carlin video explanation is Without A Crystal Ball whose sourcing is here and on reddit. She is NOT a reliable source and is right about once in 100 predictions.

Question - is BUB actually owned and produced by UP or an independent company? If it is the latter, then the cancellation is a financial hit the production company and not to UP. So UP can cancel whenever without any financial hardship. If they are changing programming, then it may have just been a business decision on the part of UP that had nothing to do with the amount filming the production company did or any brewing scandal.

Coming back to my answer my own question.  The series is produced by https://www.figure8films.tv/

That means that the production company fronts all the cost of the series and sells the series to UP. So it honestly may have nothing to do with a scandal but a business decision from the PTB at UP. Figure 8 can now actually sell the filmed episodes to another network or sell them to streaming services like Apple and Prime for purchase by fans.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 20

1 hour ago, Dbm said:

So, I've seen two things about the cancellation 

the first is carlin video

2. I heard something about a documentary exposing IBLP and ppl are saying that UPtv don't want the backlash.

Hide contents

2042013410_Screenshot2022-01-20at1_32_22am.thumb.png.06a91ab11ff7376db3ccc138c454d360.png

While I doubt that’s the reason can I just say I’m thrilled that racist video is being discussed in the mainstream.

it won’t bother their base, but it’s going to bother a lot of casual people who thought they were just quirky and wholesome.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I didn’t even want a shower for my second child. I hate hate hate having too much “stuff.” It drives me bonkers. Fundies see every baby as a blessing so they have to celebrate. It seems wasteful to me. I think a diaper/wipes/gift cards shower would make more sense. 

Or channel their urge to buy baby stuff to a worthy charity so it can be of use to people who actually need it.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Or channel their urge to buy baby stuff to a worthy charity so it can be of use to people who actually need it.

But you know what they would do? I bet they would buy a bunch of baby stuff for a “shower” and then give it all to one of those horrible pregnancy crisis centers. Ashley Salyer has thrown plenty of showers for women she guilted and shamed out of abortion. I guess it makes them feel better about shaming women into doing something they don’t want to do. They give them baby gifts as if that makes it all better. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

The person pushing the Carlin video explanation is Without A Crystal Ball whose sourcing is here and on reddit. She is NOT a reliable source and is right about once in 100 predictions.

Question - is BUB actually owned and produced by UP or an independent company? If it is the latter, then the cancellation is a financial hit the production company and not to UP. So UP can cancel whenever without any financial hardship. If they are changing programming, then it may have just been a business decision on the part of UP that had nothing to do with the amount filming the production company did.

Coming back to my answer my own question.  The series is produced by https://www.figure8films.tv/

That means that the production company fronts all the cost of the series and sells the series to UP. So it honestly may have nothing to do with a scandal but a business decision from the PTB at UP. Figure 8 can now actually sell the filmed episodes to another network or sell them to streaming services like Apple and Prime for purchase by fans.

Isn’t that the same production company that shot the Duggar shows?

Even if this isn’t financially hurting UP it’s very badly handled since they’re the ones running commercials and having to deal with angry leg humpers.  Not a ton of people but still a situation to avoid if you can. 

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But you know what they would do? I bet they would buy a bunch of baby stuff for a “shower” and then give it all to one of those horrible pregnancy crisis centers. Ashley Salyer has thrown plenty of showers for women she guilted and shamed out of abortion. I guess it makes them feel better about shaming women into doing something they don’t want to do. They give them baby gifts as if that makes it all better. 

Yeah, you’re right.  Ftr I was suggesting an actual charity for people who really need help.  DV shelters can always use stuff like that, people displaced by natural disasters, low income, etc.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Isn’t that the same production company that shot the Duggar shows?

Even if this isn’t financially hurting UP it’s very badly handled since they’re the ones running commercials and having to deal with angry leg humpers.  Not a ton of people but still a situation to avoid if you can. 

I know they did Counting On but not sure about the "XXX Kids and Counting" universe, but I think so. UP is such a nickle and dime network, I wonder if they forgot the commercials were even scheduled!

They posted their stock statement on instagram. It’s so fake sounding to me. Why not air the current season if you just aren’t renewing a contract? Don’t they see how fishy this sounds?

13C99C16-557E-4CAA-BBEE-0C4A8521F468.jpeg

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

If they are changing programming, then it may have just been a business decision on the part of UP that had nothing to do with the amount filming the production company did.

According to multiple people who get UP Tv, they were still running for ads for new season this week. The new season was supposed to start February 10, 2022. It doesn't make sense to me to cancel when they were going to air the new season in less than a month.

This just doesn't make sense as only a "business decision". 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

Just now, Bluebirdbluebell said:

According to multiple people who get UP Tv, they were still running for ads for new season this week. The new season was supposed to start February 10, 2022. It doesn't make sense to me to cancel when they were going to air the new season in less than a month.

True. A good “business decision” to get the most ratings would be to advertise it as the Last season. You have to watch because this is the last season and you can’t miss it! But they are just abruptly cancelling without airing it. That makes zero business sense. There’s got to be a real scandal that’s going to break.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It is weird but UP is not a big, well funded, highly professional network.

Here is the guy that owns the channel.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, MochaMom said:

I think it’s been brewing. Chad and Erin completely disassociating with everything. A couple of snarky comments between the siblings. It’s felt off for a while. 

Can you explain this a bit more? I didn’t know about this and am curious 

I need a perp walk.:popcorn:  

And, just for extra giggles, I'd like the scandal to involve Italy. I wanna see the words "Carabinieri" and "Bates" in the same sentence. A girl can dream, right?

• Haha 16

I have to say I will be so disappointed if it truly is a programming change up and nothing more. But I agree that would be a weird business decision-each season has what, 10 episodes some of which are an hour long (for weddings and such) that’s 10 weeks of content holes to fill. 
Really wanting some news to drop…

• Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

True. A good “business decision” to get the most ratings would be to advertise it as the Last season. You have to watch because this is the last season and you can’t miss it! But they are just abruptly cancelling without airing it. That makes zero business sense. There’s got to be a real scandal that’s going to break.

I disagree because that is not really how advertising works. On basic cable channels like this, advertisers buy blocks of time on a network with a guarantee that ads are going to run a certain number of times in certain blocks. This is why Fox, for example, will pull an advertiser from a specific show but ads still run on the network - the advertiser asks that his ad not run on Tucker Carlson, but it is fine on the morning programs. A network like UP is not selling individual shows, but a certain number of ads per day. I have done some low-level traffic work in advertising and have good friends who are in traffic and who are creative directors at agencies, so I have learned a little about this. Big shows with a whole -nation reach on network television (think of cultural-impact shows like Friends and evenon major cable channels like Psych) and special events like the Super Bowl are very different in terms of how ads are sold.

Also, Figure 8 and UP have a contract. If something happened with that contract then it impacts BUB. It could be something between Figure 8 and UP.

Of course, we'd all like a non-child harming scandal but there is also a good chance it was a break down between Figure 8 and UP.

ETA: @JermajestyDuggar I meant to quote someone else! Sorry!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Also, Figure 8 and UP have a contract. If something happened with that contract then it impacts BUB. It could be something between Figure 8 and UP.

Of course, we'd all like a non-child harming scandal but there is also a good chance it was a break down between Figure 8 and UP/

Its interesting that Figure 8 hasn't updated its website yet to reflect Bringing Up Bates is no longer on UPTV: https://www.figure8films.tv/

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

Its interesting that Figure 8 hasn't updated its website yet to reflect Bringing Up Bates is no longer on UPTV: https://www.figure8films.tv/

I think they have all their shows on there. I am pretty yucked out by some of the exploitation TV they produce.

• I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, BennettLeland said:

I have to say I will be so disappointed if it truly is a programming change up and nothing more. But I agree that would be a weird business decision-each season has what, 10 episodes some of which are an hour long (for weddings and such) that’s 10 weeks of content holes to fill. 
Really wanting some news to drop…

They mostly show old shows no longer on television. They can just show more old shows.

However these old shows can often be found on other networks and other platforms. They want to make Hallmark style movies which is fine, but people can just watch Hallmark movies, Netflix movies, etc.. BUB is really the only unique thing about the channel. And people are more likely to keep a subscription to keep tuning into one family or series versus random movies. This is still a network that people generally have to chose to get. It still seems like a decision that could affect their bottom line and doesn't make a whole lot of sense as a purely business decision.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I think they have all their shows on there. I am pretty yucked out by some of the exploitation TV they produce.

Wow I’m embarrassed by how many of those I’ve watched. I was a docuseries junkie back in the early 2000s. I watched so much TLC and discovery channel back then. Now I practically never watch TLC.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

They mostly show old shows no longer on television. They can just show more old shows.

However these old shows can often be found on other networks and other platforms. They want to make Hallmark style movies which is fine, but people can just watch Hallmark movies, Netflix movies, etc.. BUB is really the only unique thing about the channel. And people are more likely to keep a subscription to keep tuning into one family or series versus random movies. This is still a network that people generally have to chose to get. It still seems like a decision that could affect their bottom line and doesn't make a whole lot of sense as a purely business decision.

I read somewhere digging through this mess that UP wants to do Hallmark but with JESUS! shows, so I guess that is a different audience slightly???

• Upvote 1

Well, come February 10th at the usual broadcast time we will see if it is filled with new stuff and truly a business move or reruns and clearly scandal-related. 

Not that I have the patience to wait that long!!11!!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I read somewhere digging through this mess that UP wants to do Hallmark but with JESUS! shows, so I guess that is a different audience slightly???

I could definitely see that. Hallmark has the monopoly on those movies and the pandemic made them even more popular. UP wants in on it. But it still makes no sense they wouldn’t air the last season they advertised. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Mrs Ms said:

Well, come February 10th at the usual broadcast time we will see if it is filled with new stuff and truly a business move or reruns and clearly scandal-related. 

Not that I have the patience to wait that long!!11!!

If the documentary digging had nothing to do with this I hope they get curious and look into it and have a mention in the doc when it comes out.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I could definitely see that. Hallmark has the monopoly on those movies and the pandemic made them even more popular. UP wants in on it. But it still makes no sense they wouldn’t air the last season they advertised. 

Maybe Figure 8 wanted more money to cover the LawsyTiffy extraness!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic