IGNORED

Erin & Chad 8: Hasbro Paine, Cleveland Paine, Labour Paine

nelliebelle1197

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think the number of syllables in a name can effect euphony when combined with the number of syllables of the last name. Three and four syllable first names flow especially nicely with a two syllable last name and vice versa, I think.  Mine does and I think it is very elegant. 😏 It matters where the accent is too. Of course the last name is a given to work with and there are always others. My first child’s name doesn’t follow the above rule, but then I had to come to some agreement with a partner who wanted to name our son Constantine Belasarious. (He now claims he was kidding, but he most definitely was not.)

My parents didn’t get the memo 😂 Luckily we all have nicknames (shortened versions of long, more formal first names).

On 11/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Alisamer said:

(I once did a business card for someone named Aja. Can you guess how it's pronounced? Asia. I did not get that. It's pretty once you know it though.)

That's my favorite Steely Dan album! It's been 44 years and I love it still.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

This how my name and nickname is. I have a name that was more common in the 80s but I go by the most common nickname for my name. I use what I thought was the most common spelling of it, but so few people spell it right that I always have to spell it when I give my name. I plan on giving any kids names that are recognizable, but not super common, that also have only one spelling. I have a friend who is naming her daughter a very trendy name similar to Raelynn and she’s already had several people ask her how to spell the baby’s name and she isn’t even born yet! I just couldn’t do that to my kid. 

It’s funny, I’ve had to make a lot of appointments for my daughter lately and her name is always perfectly spelled.

mine is always misspelled

My first and last names are both unusual. To the point that until about 10 years ago I'd be the only result in a google search. My brother's name is a made-up name, but it was made up by my great-great grandfather and has since become a family name.

I think we've both enjoyed never having to use our last names (like if I'm calling someone I know, even if we're not close and haven't spoken in years, "It's [first name]" always does the trick). Having to spell my names when I call the doctor's office is an easy price to pay for that. My name has gotten more common in the last 15 years, but a lot of people I meet (especially outside of the US) tell me they've never heard it before. I like that though, it's nice to introduce people to my name and it makes me memorable. Since it's mostly vowels it's pronounced differently by people who are native speakers of different languages, but I like that too -- my husband says my name differently than I would (a difference he can't hear) but that makes it sound extra sweet and personal when he says it. 

I don't think there's any way to guess how a kid will feel about their name, whether they'll like or hate that it's common or rare or old fashioned or trendy or 'foreign'. And that can change so much over life, as names become more and less common or if you move to different country or region. When I was living in New York I met a German woman named Louise and she told me she almost burst into tears when after months of being alone in the US I was the first person to pronounce her name "right." So you never know, really. 

On a side note, thinking that "cultural" names are fine but made up names aren't devalues cultures in which it's a cultural practice to give kids made up names. Namely Black American culture. 

• Upvote 10

I had the best of both worlds growing up. My name was super popular when I was born, like in the top 5 for girls born the same year in the US. And there's only really one way to spell it, so everyone knew how to spell it and pronounce it. But for some reason, I almost never met other girls with my name. In grade school, there was never another girl in my grade with my name, and in high school there was only one other, and she went by a nickname. So even for having a very common name, I never had to worry about people not knowing which one.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

On a side note, thinking that "cultural" names are fine but made up names aren't devalues cultures in which it's a cultural practice to give kids made up names. Namely Black American culture. 

Those ARE cultural names. And I would define your family tradition as being deep with meaning and value. 

To be fair, names that are made up can eventually become part of the culture. It just rubs me the wrong way when, like in the example I picked, a privileged couple wants to name their child something that is not part of their (or ANY) culture and are surprised when people point out that it's an uncommon name. You have to know going in that this is what will happen and prepare your child for that. I'm not anti-unusual names.

I have an incredibly common first name, misspelled middle name that has never been corrected and looks like a bunch of random letters jammed together, and a last name that is common in my father's culture but not in American culture. It's hard to explain but my full name altogether stands out and there are comments about it. Sometimes nice and sometimes not so nice. It's bittersweet that I'll be changing my last name when I get married. One day I hope to get my middle name corrected but where I live, changing a name is super expensive. 

I know in some countries, it's illegal to use made up names, you have to pick a name from an approved list (and yes, that can be really hard when you want to pick a name from your culture that isn't on the list - but I think you can petition the courts to have it approved). Personally I think countries should allow parents to name their child whatever they want, but parents should anticipate public perception. 

I remember reading about a woman with an unusual name who did her PhD dissertation on cultural names and perceptions: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48616759

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I mentioned this in Zsu-land but again here because we're discussing names both places. I have found another reason I don't prefer super-common names. I'm working on a family tree and have hit a dead end - John Smith. 

I managed to find info for a couple John Smiths, but the third one up the tree I can find nothing so far. His wife is named Mary, so she's no help either. 

The one German/Swiss branch of the tree was pretty easy to gather info on pretty far back despite the spelling of the last name changing at least once each generation, but the English/Irish/Scottish ones I keep hitting dead ends caused by common names!

Anybody near Hope Mansell, England? LOL!

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I had the best of both worlds growing up. My name was super popular when I was born, like in the top 5 for girls born the same year in the US. And there's only really one way to spell it, so everyone knew how to spell it and pronounce it. But for some reason, I almost never met other girls with my name. In grade school, there was never another girl in my grade with my name, and in high school there was only one other, and she went by a nickname. So even for having a very common name, I never had to worry about people not knowing which one.

Same. I have a common name that was in the top 10 the year I was born, is common enough to be in several songs and have popular TV characters with the name,  but in grade school I was the only one in the whole (albeit small) school and in my much larger high school there were only two others in my grade. So it's never been a case of having the same name as everyone else, but it's a name everyone knows and can spell and pronounce. 

Although, hilariously, I have a small group of close internet girlfriends and one of them has the same first name as me but I use a nickname and she doesn't.

53 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Same. I have a common name that was in the top 10 the year I was born, is common enough to be in several songs and have popular TV characters with the name,  but in grade school I was the only one in the whole (albeit small) school and in my much larger high school there were only two others in my grade.

My daughter did not have this experience. One day her group hanging out together was Kate, Kate, Katie and Katy.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 11/10/2021 at 7:04 AM, lumpentheologie said:

Mormons have been giving their kids unusual names long before it became part of Black culture. Here are some examples that come to mind: Sh'Kell, Manti, Teancum, Zoram, Nephi, Mahonri, Bracken, Aunistee, Skylei Camry, Abcde, Alizabeth, Tazmin, Aspynn, Nakkole, Lakell. 

Many of those sound made-up to me. Looks like it's Mormon culture that is being devalued. I  wonder if the Mormons care what other random parents do?

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Alizabeth. Why do that? What’s the purpose? 

Probably like Jinger. To go with a letter theme. 

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

My daughter did not have this experience. One day her group hanging out together was Kate, Kate, Katie and Katy.

as Kate is one of my favourite names (but does not go well with my last name) I love all these names. Thankfully it was not my top preference as I only realised how bad it went with my last name after she born to many k sounds... 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Probably like Jinger. To go with a letter theme. 

Much like words have meaning, so do letters when strung together in certain recognizable patterns. IMO, you decide what’s more important the letter or the name, and go from there. If you can’t do that, you end up with Jinger (still better than Spurgeon or Kolter). My husband, daughter and myself all have names that start with the same letter, our son’s  does not. However, while my name starts with a soft sound, theirs begin with a hard sound. We just picked names we liked and that went well with our very ethnic last name.

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Much like words have meaning, so do letters when strung together in certain recognizable patterns. IMO, you decide what’s more important the letter or the name, and go from there. If you can’t do that, you end up with Jinger (still better than Spurgeon or Kolter). My husband, daughter and myself all have names that start with the same letter, our son’s  does not. However, while my name starts with a soft sound, theirs begin with a hard sound. We just picked names we liked and that went well with our very ethnic last name.

Same for us. Myself, husband, and son have same first letter. Other son doesn’t. We didn’t want a theme. My mom wanted a theme so my sister and I have the same first letter and same middle name. We never liked having such close names. 

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Alizabeth. Why do that? What’s the purpose? 

To be different so you get attention.

Imagine you are one of 11 kids in a Mormon family. Everyone's grown up, and by the time you have a baby, there are already 14 grandkids. No one is going to pay attention if you name your baby "Elizabeth." If you name her Alizabeth, though, everyone will ask questions, ("Why?" "Where is it derived from?" "Howd you get the idea?")

On 11/4/2021 at 11:54 AM, lumpentheologie said:

It blows my mind that people are just abandoning thousands of people a day to die because they can't be bothered to put on a mask. These are preventable deaths. 

It blows my mind that people can't be bothered to be vaccinated. No one is abandoning these people. They are abandoning themselves. Because of them, businesses here are failing and schoolchildren have to wear masks all day. 

The people who die--overwhelmingly--are the ones who refuse to take the vaccine. I'm not putting my life on hold forever for them. I wear a mask because it's mandated here, but I'll gladly stop when it's allowed. 

Of course these deaths are preventable. It's called a vaccine. A vaccine will prevent those deaths, almost every one of them. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

To be different so you get attention.

Imagine you are one of 11 kids in a Mormon family. Everyone's grown up, and by the time you have a baby, there are already 14 grandkids. No one is going to pay attention if you name your baby "Elizabeth." If you name her Alizabeth, though, everyone will ask questions, ("Why?" "Where is it derived from?" "Howd you get the idea?")

It blows my mind that people can't be bothered to be vaccinated. No one is abandoning these people. They are abandoning themselves. Because of them, businesses here are failing and schoolchildren have to wear masks all day. 

The people who die--overwhelmingly--are the ones who refuse to take the vaccine. I'm not putting my life on hold forever for them. I wear a mask because it's mandated here, but I'll gladly stop when it's allowed. 

Of course these deaths are preventable. It's called a vaccine. A vaccine will prevent those deaths, almost every one of them. 

As an adult, I can’t imagine being that self centered and selfish. I guess the child, once of adult age, has the ability to legally change the spelling. I can’t imagine setting my kid up for having their name forever misspelled. It is unnecessarily cruel. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I went to school in the period where every 2nd girl was Jennifer, so while I escaped it, I always end to school with multiple Jens in every class. It made me grateful for my common but not that common name.

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

As an adult, I can’t imagine being that self centered and selfish. I guess the child, once of adult age, has the ability to legally change the spelling. I can’t imagine setting my kid up for having their name forever misspelled. It is unnecessarily cruel. 

The nameberry description for Alizabeth is "Unusual and attention-grabbing, but this unusual spelling also could make your child's life more complicated than it has to be."

• Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

On 11/12/2021 at 8:15 AM, CanadianMamam said:

I went to school in the period where every 2nd girl was Jennifer, so while I escaped it, I always end to school with multiple Jens in every class. It made me grateful for my common but not that common name.

The nameberry description for Alizabeth is "Unusual and attention-grabbing, but this unusual spelling also could make your child's life more complicated than it has to be."

I've seen the name Olivia spelled in a similar vein as "Alivia" or "Alyvia".  I think the nameberry description for "Alizabeth" equally applies here.   

• Upvote 4

I was born in the mid 60s with a common ish name for my era.  It is “otherly” spelled.  While I identify specifically with how MY name is spelled.  I will agree with nameberry’s comment about making a child’s name complicated. Because I have spent most of my life spelling my name for people who still misspell it.  I have worked at my present job for over a decade.  There are still folks who aren’t capable of correctly spelling my name.  

in the Mormon/Utah name front:

This is How We Bingham:  Ryler, Krew, Brexsen, Hazy

they have cousins:  Turin, with Landon, Ashton (boy) and Ava

all of the girls in the Not Enough Nelson family with the EE name ending.

Five Two Love’s oldest is named Shayden 

April and Davey have Zade, Daisy, Ambree, Ender (yes, named after the Orson Scott Card character). EB (short for Elizabeth) and Frankie,  

Meet the Millers have Brielle (and it should be noted that the mother is Breanne and yet the daughter’s name is not after her), Biden (usually referred to as Bodie, Ember, Cosette (called Cozy) and Jensen (her maiden name)  

• Upvote 5

On 10/29/2021 at 9:05 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Fundies have more date nights than me and my husband. And we only have two kids. 

ITA.  It amazes me that these couples find the time and the money for all these dates, not to mention trips and various other excursions.   My parents had 3 kids and very rarely went out by themselves. 

And besides the question of how they manage all this with kids, IMHO there's the question of taking all that the time off.  Mr. No and I have no kids, but if we galivanted as much as these fundies do, kids or no kids, we wouldn't have jobs.   I know a lot of them are self employed, but even with self employment, I wonder how they manage it. Mr. No was self employed for several years and no, he couldn't just take time off if he seriously wanted work and to bring in sufficient income. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I was born in the mid 60s with a common ish name for my era.  It is “otherly” spelled.  While I identify specifically with how MY name is spelled.  I will agree with nameberry’s comment about making a child’s name complicated. Because I have spent most of my life spelling my name for people who still misspell it.  I have worked at my present job for over a decade.  There are still folks who aren’t capable of correctly spelling my name.  

in the Mormon/Utah name front:

This is How We Bingham:  Ryler, Krew, Brexsen, Hazy

they have cousins:  Turin, with Landon, Ashton (boy) and Ava

all of the girls in the Not Enough Nelson family with the EE name ending.

Five Two Love’s oldest is named Shayden 

April and Davey have Zade, Daisy, Ambree, Ender (yes, named after the Orson Scott Card character). EB (short for Elizabeth) and Frankie,  

Meet the Millers have Brielle (and it should be noted that the mother is Breanne and yet the daughter’s name is not after her), Biden (usually referred to as Bodie, Ember, Cosette (called Cozy) and Jensen (her maiden name)  

I’m snickering at Biden since I think a lot of Mormons probably didn’t vote for Joe Biden. No wonder he goes by Bodie.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

It’s Boden not Biden (we will not discuss how much I fought autocorrect making that post)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

One of my coworkers was telling me about her experience with unusual names.  She was working in a pediatric clinic and saw the next patient's name was Tate.  She went to the waiting room and called Tate's name (pronouncing it TAYte).

The mother stood up and and snapped, "Its pronounced Tah TAE, for your information!"  She said the little girl looked mortified.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

My mother was extra when naming me and went for one spelling but the other pronunciation. Though not the local way of pronouncing it mind you. I have since switched to the local pronunciation of the spelling version. There is a similar male name. Think Simone/Simona. So now I introduce myself as Simone and people regularly call me Simon. WTF people 😂

Our family is German-English (kiwi) and one of our kids has a German name. At appointments we wait to hear if the name being butchered is Maori and if not we assume it is us being called. Works every time and my kid doesn’t care. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic