IGNORED

Erin & Chad 8: Hasbro Paine, Cleveland Paine, Labour Paine

nelliebelle1197

20 minutes ago, zee_four said:

Taylor is actually my son's name. He is 8, it's a name I've wanted for a boy since I was 16 (and ended up having an abortion) but that was back in 2005. I don't know where I heard it but I've always liked it. Now its popular for girls, luckily most of them are slightly younger or I'm sure my son would complain that he has the same name as the girls in his class. 

I had four Taylor's in my junior history class in high school, one was a boy and the other 3 were girls.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

I had four Taylor's in my junior history class in high school, one was a boy and the other 3 were girls.

My son will probably be that one boy someday in class:-) About when was this if you don't mind my asking? I've heard Taylor as a girls name was more popular in the south and in Utah. It was more popular as a guys name on the 90s I think? I could be wrong. I grew up in Colorado spending summers with my dad's family in Hawai'i, definitely not one among my Hawaiian family us named Taylor, my age and younger everyone has Hawaiian names. But since my son is 3/4 white and his dad is blonde and green eyes, we went with haole names.

• Upvote 2

I have a great fondness for the name Finley. One of my friend's had a delightful dog named Finley and I loved that big goofy dog. He's passed on now but the name brings back such fond memories. I don't think Erin would be pleased that her daughter makes me think of a dog but if she knew that dog she'd know it was a compliment.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, browngrl said:

Me too. I noticed two big benefits from mask wearing: fewer colds and my melasma is much improved (melasma is very sun sensitive and the mask nicely covers the area where the discolouration is the worst). I'm also done with shaking hands. I never liked it before covid and I'd much rather fist bump or better yet just give a friendly nod or wave to end/begin an encounter. 

NB I'm fully vaccinated (don't have the booster yet because it has not yet been released to my age/health group where I live)

Yes! I’ve loved how my kids have had a huge reduction in colds! My kids were never prone to getting really bad stuff like strep, but I swear they got so many colds during cold and flu season before the pandemic. Their school has a strict mask policy and I bet they also notice the reduction in colds. 

• Upvote 6

On 10/31/2021 at 8:43 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Same state, different city. This pandemic has made me totally adamant that I will never live in a red county again. 

I live in the blue county in Mississippi. Its awful. I moved here August 2019 with a newborn so I dont know much of the good of Mississippi. I hate it here- mostly due to everything with Covid- and would be thrilled if my husband got promoted to go work at another place. 

• Sad 4

I have only lived in blue California and  have no intention of ever moving. I will say that due to covid and stupid politicians, I have basically decided to boycott visiting most red states. I have always wanted to go to the Universal Studios in Florida to see their version of the Harry Potter universe but now I will not step foot in that desantis hell. Even under the crazy orange man, I always knew that as a black, liberal woman, who believes in science, I was at least safe in my blue state. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 9

On 11/2/2021 at 10:58 PM, Expectopatronus said:

My mind is just blown that masks aren’t required indoors in so many states. In my province, they are mandatory for anyone over two. Churches, theatres, restaurants are still at reduced capacity. The southern part of my province is very right wing, Evangelical and only has a 40% double vaxxed rate. The rest of the province is close to 80% double vaxxed. 

Same, I'm in Montréal and Quebec will probably keep the mask mandate indoor for a while. Most indoor capacities will actually be increased next week (restaurants, theatres, events, etc.) but even so, masks will still be inforced. I think the inly time it can be removed is for patrons eating sitting in. I'm BAFFLED to see that masks are not worn in the US, for example inside NHL arenas.

We got so used to the public health mesures that I think I am now stressed when I see people without masks, or not respecting the social distance. 😆

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, socalrules said:

I have always wanted to go to the Universal Studios in Florida to see their version of the Harry Potter universe but now I will not step foot in that desantis hell. Even under the crazy orange man, I always knew that as a black, liberal woman, who believes in science, I was at least safe in my blue state. 

Florida now has the lowest recent case rate in the country. You may be safer there than in California. In fact, California's numbers are rising pretty fast right now.

• Sad 2
  • WTF 1

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Florida now has the lowest recent case rate in the country. You may be safer there than in California. In fact, California's numbers are rising pretty fast right now.

I am in a county and state where masks are required and that has always taken covid seriously. If the number go too high they will start putting further restrictions on again. I am fine with that. I prefer places that don’t treat covid like the common cold.  Florida’s governor is an idiot who prefers no restrictions because of “freedom”. I would never feel safe in a place where the governor is even fighting masks in schools. The fact the numbers are finally going down in Florida is dumb luck. I have no doubt they will be back up again soon. That state is off my list until it’s government regains it’s sanity. I am not ashamed that I now judge people and places by how seriously they take covid. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

The fact the numbers are finally going down in Florida is dumb luck.

Or maybe everyone has been infected, so there is a bit immunity there (until it wanes), as people are unlikely to be reinfected right after. 

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

. I'm BAFFLED to see that masks are not worn in the US, for example inside NHL arenas.

We got so used to the public health mesures that I think I am now stressed when I see people without masks, or not respecting the social distance. 😆

So were my husband and son.  They attended a Boston Bruins game at TD Garden last weekend and except for eating and drinking, masks were to remain on during the game.  They kept theirs on and followed the rules but were shocked that many others did not.  

The only explanation I can think of is that everyone had to provide proof of vaccination upon entering the building and folks were somehow lulled into a false sense of security.  Regardless, that doesn't negate the set rules.  

• Upvote 4

I've noticed a big divide when it comes to masks. I'm in North Carolina, very near Charlotte, the biggest city in the state. I work in Charlotte, but like many people live in a small town next door. In Charlotte? Most everyone is masked indoors, everywhere. In the small town I live in (considered a "nicer" small town) it's maybe half and half. Smaller and more rural towns? Hardly anyone is wearing a mask. 

Anecdotally but noticed by several other people I know, the Black population here seems to wear masks more regularly (and more often correctly) than the white people, even in areas where masks are less commonly seen. 

I don't wear a mask at work - unless a visitor or client has come in, then I do while I'm near them (we are a small shop and everyone has their own space, so we're mostly distanced anyway). I DO always wear a mask when going inside a store or restaurant or something. I haven't been bothering to put one on if I go through a drive-thru, though I did so until this summer. I'm not staying home as much as early in the pandemic - doing more in-person shopping, went to a Broadway show, went to a fiber festival, etc. Both those busy places I went everyone was masked and masks were being enforced and provided to those who didn't have them. In stores it's hit or miss. In Charlotte? Everyone is masked. In more rural areas? Less so.

I will say that when my sister and I finally chose to go somewhere last Spring after staying at home for most of a year, we chose a mostly-outdoor day trip to a city that seems to be a pocket of blue within a red area. Everyone was masking in areas with crowds, even outdoors. 

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Or maybe everyone has been infected, so there is a bit immunity there (until it wanes), as people are unlikely to be reinfected right after. 

Yes, plus vacations are happening way less now. People travel to Florida all summer even though it’s hot and humid. Because that’s when kids have school off. They can take their kids to Disney or universal studios at that time. Fall is hurricane season and there’s less travel to Florida. It makes sense numbers would be going down after a huge peak. It doesn’t mean the place is safer. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, plus vacations are happening way less now. People travel to Florida all summer even though it’s hot and humid. Because that’s when kids have school off. They can take their kids to Disney or universal studios at that time. Fall is hurricane season and there’s less travel to Florida. It makes sense numbers would be going down after a huge peak. It doesn’t mean the place is safer. 

There's also that Florida has the opposite issue of northern states who get their peaks in winter. During the summer, it's hot, humid and stormy, so people tend to spend a lot more time inside. Right now, the weather is getting much nicer and people tend to be outside a lot more. 

• Upvote 9

I'm going places and doing things but trying to be careful about it. I always wear an N95 mask in public, avoid crowds, test at least weekly, stay outdoors as much as possible, and only go indoors unmasked with small groups of vaccinated people. I also just got my booster shot. I just spent a month traveling in the US (only blue states thank you) and I felt this was a safe way to do it. 

This isn't last year's covid. With the delta variant you can't just throw caution to the wind cause you've been vaccinated. Also if your vaccination is more than 6 months old you're basically not protected from getting covid (although you're still less likely to die). But I know healthy young people who got it despite being vaccinated and spent a week in bed with a high fever, uncontrollable shaking, intense stomach pain, and diarrhea. But they didn't go to the hospital, so it's still considered "mild". Compared to that, wearing a mask is nothing to complain about. 

And with half the world still unvaccinated, the more people just accept that they'll get it (and then spread it), the more it's going to mutate and turn into even nastier variants.  

In good news, though, there's evidence that covid vaccines also offer some protection against colds, since they're also coronaviruses. I read that in the near future there could be a pretty effective vaccine against colds too. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 12

I live in a blue state, in a blue area, and I would say about 25-30% of people are wearing masks inside stores.  We do not have a mask mandate here and haven't had one since the spring.  We do have high vaccination rates. 

I think what's really happening, at least what I'm seeing and hearing from my friends, family, and people I chat with while out and about, is that people feel they have enough data, from the CDC, their personal doctors, and from just what they've witnessed amongst their own family and friends and they've assessed their personal risk factors and therefore they're comfortable making the decision that works best for them. I have an immunocompromised family member and they are still extremely cautious, they're vaccinated and have their booster, they wear masks anytime they go anywhere, they avoid crowds, do grocery pickup/delivery, etc.  However, my husband, child, and I are low risk.  We're fully vaccinated and we don't have any known co-morbidities.  We've basically returned to normal life.  We've attended numerous sporting events, we eat at restaurants and go to breweries, we see our family and friends all the time (the ones that are comfortable doing so).  I definitely suspect we'll get covid at some point, I've seen numerous doctors state that we cannot eradicate this and it will become endemic just like the flu and common cold.  I know I'll get flack for saying this, but after endless conversations and consideration of the situation, remaining locked down and avoiding regular life just didn't seem necessary based on our family's risk factors and the statistics for infections and such in our area.  My husband and I follow what's going on closely and if things ramp up as we get into winter, or anytime in the future, we'll adjust accordingly.  

I will also say, if you're high risk or just extra cautious, you definitely should not be going to arenas it will give you anxiety! Here, you do have to provide proof of vaccination to get in the doors, but once inside, you're allowed to take your mask off to eat and drink and there are no capacity limitations.  So there's no social distancing, seats and concourses are very crowded, and people hold their drinks in their hands at all times so they can keep their mask down and appear to be drinking. 

Edited by Melbelle
typos
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2
  • Confused 3
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

I live in true blue MA, but I’m in a Trump city with the vac and infection rates of a red state. Masking isn’t required in stores and I’d say about 25% are masked at the supermarket I go to. I feel less anxious than I did last year, but I think it’s that I’m just getting used to being unsafe. 
   Sigh. 

• Sad 1

I'm in Northern California, in a small exurb that's half Bernie voters & half Trump voters. Vaccination rate for the county I'm in is only a smidge over half. Mask wearing dropped precipitously in the spring, but it's on a slow upswing. At its nadir it was probably less than 10% were wearing masks in the grocery stores but it's now more like 25%-ish. The only other thing I do is swim at a gym & hardly anybody wears masks inside that building.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

We have to contain covid until we reach something like herd protection, if not herd immunity. Otherwise we're accepting a huge number of deaths.

It's not a question of lockdown vs normal -- I'm going on a solo vacation to Barcelona next week, I'm hardly locking myself in at home. But until the vaccine (and boosters) is widely available, approved for the whole population, and mandated, we have to be careful. We have to wear masks -- that is the primary way to stop the spread.

It blows my mind that people are just abandoning thousands of people a day to die because they can't be bothered to put on a mask. These are preventable deaths. 

But if you are high risk, it's impossible to really protect yourself by wearing a mask if other people aren't wearing them. Your mask primarily protects other people, and other people's masks protect you. So it's not just up to everyone to do what they personally feel comfortable with, like only their own risk matters. 

I really don't understand how even in blue states/blue counties there aren't mask mandates. We've had a nationwide mandate since spring 2020. It's the most basic step. 

I have to say, from Germany the US looks like it has a nihilistic death wish. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 18
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

The US is a very punitive place,

speaking as one who's born here & lived here my whole life.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I think there is no end to COVID as long as we have large groups of unvaccinated or only half vaccinated populations. That’s a breeding ground for new variants. I think we lost the fight and it seems more and more countries have given up the uphill battle. 
At the moment I look very interested how the countries with an ok/high vaccination rate and without restrictions fare. Especially in hospitalisation, death and long term symptoms rates. Interestingly-as for now, that come out quite the same as my country with restrictions. My guess is, if that doesn’t change we will drop restrictions too and people will decide for themselves if they wear a mask or not. 
I am also definitely in favour for making the vaccine mandatory in certain areas (just as measles is for children in public nurseries after several serious outbreaks thanks to anti-vaxxers). Life is tough, suck it up.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 2

16 hours ago, socalrules said:

I am in a county and state where masks are required and that has always taken covid seriously.

In California right now there are 17 new cases for every 100,000 people. In Florida, there are 7 for every 100,000.

Unquestionably, you are much safer living in Florida.

If the number go too high they will start putting further restrictions on again.

Marin County, California just lifted its indoor mask mandate. The Bay Area health dept published the criteria for lifting the mandate, and Marin met this criteria and lifted its mandate. No masks are needed when you are inside businesses in this urban, liberal California county. You can go to Costco maskless. Shop at a crowded mall, maskless.

A couple of other Bay area counties have also lifted mask mandates (in some indoor settings, not all). Contra Costa county is one of those counties that relaxed the mandate, even though their covid numbers aren't that great. 

https://abc7news.com/marin-county-indoor-face-masks-mask-mandates-bay-area-north-restrictions-coronavirus/11188255/  

Just yesterday, Los Angeles followed the same path. It published the criteria for lifting the mask mandate--both indoors and outdoors. Not sure if any LA counties can lift them yet--the criteria was just published yesterday. They're doing this even as California's case numbers are rising!

Edited by Jackie3

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

I think there is no end to COVID as long as we have large groups of unvaccinated or only half vaccinated populations. That’s a breeding ground for new variants. I think we lost the fight and it seems more and more countries have given up the uphill battle. 
At the moment I look very interested how the countries with an ok/high vaccination rate and without restrictions fare. Especially in hospitalisation, death and long term symptoms rates. Interestingly-as for now, that come out quite the same as my country with restrictions. My guess is, if that doesn’t change we will drop restrictions too and people will decide for themselves if they wear a mask or not. 
I am also definitely in favour for making the vaccine mandatory in certain areas (just as measles is for children in public nurseries after several serious outbreaks thanks to anti-vaxxers). Life is tough, suck it up.

This should scare the shit out of everyone as much as it does me. Delta has already lowered the effectiveness of the vaccines. A new stronger variant could make them absolutely worthless. Even if you are a heartless asshole who doesn't care about vulnerable groups, you should at least care about this. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I think the big difference between CA and FL in terms of Covid is how leadership has reacted in the past, and how this can be applied to a dynamic situation of active community infection. If the numbers of Covid infections continue to rise, the vast majority of CA counties and the state government will mandate more restrictions. In FL we know this is NOT a true. In fact, the Gov of FL recently sued a school district (in Broward, IIRC) because the district was mandating all students, most of whom were ineligible at the time, to receive a vaccine, to wear masks in schools. Let that fact sink in. A Gov of a large state that was, at the time was experiencing soaring Covid infection numbers, was suing a school district that was trying to protection UNVACCINATED children during an active pandemic.

I know which state and leadership group Id more likely trust with my and my family’s environment. Let’s not use one favorable blip to make unfounded assertions.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:04 AM, raayx01 said:

It seems that whenever a "unisex" or "male" name becomes popular for girls, it gets dropped for the boys (Leslie, Evelyn, Kelly back in the day). Now if I hear Taylor I picture a girl, Tyler a boy. 

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic