IGNORED

Erin & Chad 8: Hasbro Paine, Cleveland Paine, Labour Paine

nelliebelle1197

6 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

So is the internet right that Noa means motion and Noah message rest? Almost opposites!

Interesting, haven’t thought of it this way! To me the names are totally separate from the words. Noa sounds like the verb לנוע that means to move, but it’s like saying the name Mary means wedding. Noah does sounds like the word נוח which means comfortable or the verb לנוח which means to rest, but again the name is totally separate from the word, if that makes sense. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, AuntCloud said:

Interesting, haven’t thought of it this way! To me the names are totally separate from the words. Noa sounds like the verb לנוע that means to move, but it’s like saying the name Mary means wedding. Noah does sounds like the word נוח which means comfortable or the verb לנוח which means to rest, but again the name is totally separate from the word, if that makes sense. 

Interesting! Thanks! Presumably the names must mean something right? Even if the meaning is now obscure because Hebrew has changed over the millennia or whatever.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Interesting! Thanks! Presumably the names must mean something right? Even if the meaning is now obscure because Hebrew has changed over the millennia or whatever.

Yes, absolutely. The root words for “movement” and “rest” are really similar. 
having said this, the fundie game of sticking made-up meanings to biblical names never ceases to amaze me. It’s like they run the bible through google translate.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AuntCloud said:

most mono-cultural people don’t really have a concept of how things are done differently in other cultures, and that things can be done differently at all.

Oh, I agree absolutely - which is why I personally wouldn't pick a name that you have to explain constantly. But that's just me - I was blessed with a super unusual first name myself, and I got very tired of all the spelling and explaining at some point. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for explaining it all so patiently. I'm a huge language nerd and found it all quite fascinating!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Oh, I agree absolutely - which is why I personally wouldn't pick a name that you have to explain constantly. But that's just me - I was blessed with a super unusual first name myself, and I got very tired of all the spelling and explaining at some point. 

This is exactly my point about unusual names. It's narcissistic. No one is thinking about the child, and how she has to explain/spell for the rest of her life. It's all about, "Apple--what a cool name for your baby--no one else has that name!"

• I Agree 1

12 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Noa has been a very popular girl name in Barcelona the last decade. Not for religious reasons, though. Just because it sounds cool. Noah is not used for boys here, at least it is very very uncommon, but definitely the last H makes it a male name. It is funny because in Spanish and Catalan, Noa and Noah sound identical.

And there is also the spanish version of the name Noah (Noé) but it is not very popular either.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

This is exactly my point about unusual names. It's narcissistic. No one is thinking about the child, and how she has to explain/spell for the rest of her life. It's all about, "Apple--what a cool name for your baby--no one else has that name!"

I think this discussion was going back to the name Noa for a girl. And it was explained to be a very popular name in Israel. I don’t find it narcissistic at all to choose a name, especially from your own culture, even if it’s not common where you’re currently living. I have an old fashioned traditional name, but I know of four different ways to spell it. It’s no big deal to spell it out and I have never even thought to blame my parents for choosing a name they liked.

• Upvote 7

24 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I don’t find it narcissistic at all to choose a name, especially from your own culture, even if it’s not common where you’re currently living.

Thank you. When I named Cloudlet #1 I wasn’t planning on moving to an English-speaking country. Her name is incredibly meaningful to me, has a lovely sound and is connected to an awesome person I used to know. Yes, it does sound foreign to English speakers, but I’m not being foreign *at* you. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

There is 100% a difference between someone having an uncommon/unique name because it's culturally different. And then the people who go around purposefully naming their kids "abcde" with zero culture or meaning behind it, then start screaming at people who laugh or mispronounce it. 🙄

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I have never even thought to blame my parents for choosing a name they liked.

I know you didn't tag me, but just to be perfectly clear: It was never my intention to attack anyone for choosing a particular name for their kid. You do what works for you, and if the name is from your own culture or meaningful to you or you just plain like it, those are all great reasons. I'm not blaming my mom either - I know she loved the name she gave me, and I love her for picking a name that was special to her.

I still decided to do things differently for my kids (just like I chose to do other things differently than my mom did), because I PERSONALLY didn't always enjoy the attention that came with a super unusual name. I already said that other people may not mind, and that's great. My own kids have names that aren't from the top ten, but aren't uncommon either.

No one is under any obligation to justify why they named their kid the way they did. Noa is a perfectly lovely name, and I personally think there's nothing inherently "female" or "male" in any kind of name. I was just curious whether the Noa/Noah difference was really a thing in Hebrew, and I'm grateful to the people who confirmed it for me.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 6

On 11/5/2021 at 8:26 PM, JMO said:

Erin has been leaning heavy into her Jesus talk. Guess now that she has her little miracle she feels anointed by God for her faithfulness. It's actually getting a little insufferable. 

Erin is GETTING insufferable? Nah, she’s always been that way. It’s just more about Jesus this time!

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 9

On the topic of unusual/trendy names for children, I've mentioned a few times that my sister and I both have very different first names and a long, unusual last name. I have always hated mine and never used it except for work and legal documents. My sister loves hers. 

My first name is suddenly growing in popularity over here (UK) and I've had several pregnant women ask me if I like it, what nickname I use etc. I successfully talked a GP out of naming her baby it - her husband also hated it. 

Recently though, a retail assistant was asking me about it for her twins. I just found out she used it and another pretty terrible (imo) name for the other twin with the same first initial. 

Sure, having these flouncy, twee, alliteration names are very cute for little babies, but when they grow up, 50/50 they are going to be irritated by them/getting taken seriously/getting each others mail mixed up. 

I'm currently using a nickname version of my middle name for work purposes (think Alyssa's girls name style) which is perfectly fine.

Simple, unisex, easy-to-spell names will always be my favourite. Although I do enjoy seeing the ridiculousness these fundies choose, I feel bad for them having such unique names for their whole lives. However, these are kids who are likely trapped in homeschool and cult activities so maybe nobody will make fun of them or question any terrible spelling. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AuntCloud said:

Thank you. When I named Cloudlet #1 I wasn’t planning on moving to an English-speaking country. Her name is incredibly meaningful to me, has a lovely sound and is connected to an awesome person I used to know. Yes, it does sound foreign to English speakers, but I’m not being foreign *at* you. 

Personally, I love names that are rich in meaning and tradition. Part of my ancestry is French Canadian and my daughter has a name that is a common in that community and has a religiously significant meaning. It gets mispronounced a lot which I hadn’t anticipated. 

I do think some names are unfair to the child but examples of these are a colleague who wanted to name his child Satan (he and his wife thought it would be funny), and a woman I volunteered with who loved Winnie the Pooh and named her daughter Hunny. I have taught a ton of kids named Miracle, Precious, Blessing and Treasure but these names are cultural norms for the kids so 100% beautiful. 

• Upvote 8

I think there's a difference between unique names and difficult to spell made up names. And I give a pass for anyone naming a child after another person or using a name that is part of their culture no matter how easy or difficult it is to spell. I tend to prefer more traditional spellings of names generally, like back when it was the number one name I preferred "Michaela" to "McKaiylah". (I once did a business card for someone named Aja. Can you guess how it's pronounced? Asia. I did not get that. It's pretty once you know it though.)

That said, though, as a person with a very very common name for my age group I would absolutely do my best to use easy to spell but less common names if I'd had kids. I hated hated hated being one of three girls with the same name in my classes. I like my name now, but I did NOT like it as a kid. I'd have been happy to spell something out not to be confused about who was being spoken to or have to tag my last initial on to everything. To the point that for a while I seriously considered adding my middle name to what I was called when I went off to college. 

When I was thinking I might have kids I was leaning toward using an older-fashioned first name (like Evelyn, Lorraine, Ethan, Andrew, etc.) with a more unusual family middle name (True, Zella, Sidney, Valentine, Asbury) or vice versa.

• Upvote 3

I’ve always felt that if a parent wants to gift their kid an unusual name,  or worse, change the spelling of a more mainstream or popular name to give it a unique flair, that the parent change their OWN name. There is no one on the planet who wants to be named Ex but have their names spelled XX. To forever have your name misspelled would be a PITA. It would be better to have a difficult to pronounce name. At least in that case, you know your name is coming when there’s a pregnant pause-

Yes, you can legally change your name as often as you like. I worked with a lady who was forever changing her name.

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

To forever have your name misspelled would be a PITA.

Speaking as someone whose name gets misspelled constantly, it is a pain in the ass, but it's not because I have a particularly unusual name. My name is similar to Maryann. It's a deceptively simple name--Mary and Ann are both so common, how could anyone misspell them? But there are so many ways to spell Maryann, and there are many ways to spell my name, and 9/10 people guess wrong.

• Upvote 3

Honestly most names can get misspelled TBH. My name is Amy. Could be Aimee (with or without an é), Ayme, Amie, Ami, Ame, Aimi, etc. I still have to spell it often!

It's just when people get butthurt about other people misspelling it that's the issue, IMO. Like, name your kid Khay'lub for all I care, but don't be obnoxious if someone who has only heard it spoken spells it Caleb. 

I wouldn't avoid a name I loved, even a unique one, for fear of having to spell it. I would not, however, go out of the way to make it extra difficult to spell!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, Alisamer said:

That said, though, as a person with a very very common name for my age group I would absolutely do my best to use easy to spell but less common names if I'd had kids. I hated hated hated being one of three girls with the same name in my classes. I like my name now, but I did NOT like it as a kid. I'd have been happy to spell something out not to be confused about who was being spoken to or have to tag my last initial on to everything. To the point that for a while I seriously considered adding my middle name to what I was called when I went off to college. 

Same here! I think one time there were 5 kids in my class with my last name. But my name isn't the most common spelling of it... my name would be like a Catie to the more common Katie. Still quite common but not the common one. 

I actually went to Universal when I was pregnant and looked at the souvenior name tags that they have there to determine the spelling of my daughters name. Luckily most people get her name right the first time... but sometimes people question how to spell it. 

• Upvote 3

I have a very common name. It’s so common that it’s almost never ever misspelled. But I was so unhappy at how common my name was when I was 13, I spelled it in the most ridiculous way possible. I look back in extreme embarrassment but also laugh. Because it was just that bad. Example: imagine the name Amanda being spelled Uhmanndah. It was about as bad as that. No lie.

• Haha 13

16 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

On the topic of unusual/trendy names for children, I've mentioned a few times that my sister and I both have very different first names and a long, unusual last name. I have always hated mine and never used it except for work and legal documents. My sister loves hers. 

My first name is suddenly growing in popularity over here (UK) and I've had several pregnant women ask me if I like it, what nickname I use etc. I successfully talked a GP out of naming her baby it - her husband also hated it. 

Recently though, a retail assistant was asking me about it for her twins. I just found out she used it and another pretty terrible (imo) name for the other twin with the same first initial. 

Sure, having these flouncy, twee, alliteration names are very cute for little babies, but when they grow up, 50/50 they are going to be irritated by them/getting taken seriously/getting each others mail mixed up. 

I'm currently using a nickname version of my middle name for work purposes (think Alyssa's girls name style) which is perfectly fine.

Simple, unisex, easy-to-spell names will always be my favourite. Although I do enjoy seeing the ridiculousness these fundies choose, I feel bad for them having such unique names for their whole lives. However, these are kids who are likely trapped in homeschool and cult activities so maybe nobody will make fun of them or question any terrible spelling. 

now I wanna know what your name is lol bloody curiosity. It can't be that terrible if you are inspiring other people to want to use it 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:
21 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Same here! I think one time there were 5 kids in my class with my last name. But my name isn't the most common spelling of it... my name would be like a Catie to the more common Katie. Still quite common but not the common one. 

This how my name and nickname is. I have a name that was more common in the 80s but I go by the most common nickname for my name. I use what I thought was the most common spelling of it, but so few people spell it right that I always have to spell it when I give my name. I plan on giving any kids names that are recognizable, but not super common, that also have only one spelling. I have a friend who is naming her daughter a very trendy name similar to Raelynn and she’s already had several people ask her how to spell the baby’s name and she isn’t even born yet! I just couldn’t do that to my kid. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

49 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

This how my name and nickname is. I have a name that was more common in the 80s but I go by the most common nickname for my name. I use what I thought was the most common spelling of it, but so few people spell it right that I always have to spell it when I give my name. I plan on giving any kids names that are recognizable, but not super common, that also have only one spelling. I have a friend who is naming her daughter a very trendy name similar to Raelynn and she’s already had several people ask her how to spell the baby’s name and she isn’t even born yet! I just couldn’t do that to my kid. 

I grew up with a very uncommon last name. It was constantly misspelled and mispronounced. I got so tired of it. My married named is often misspelled and mispronounced too. So I did make sure to go with easy to pronounce names for my kids. Since they will be correcting people because of their last name, I don’t want them to have to do that with their first name too. 

• Upvote 5

I think the number of syllables in a name can effect euphony when combined with the number of syllables of the last name. Three and four syllable first names flow especially nicely with a two syllable last name and vice versa, I think.  Mine does and I think it is very elegant. 😏 It matters where the accent is too. Of course the last name is a given to work with and there are always others. My first child’s name doesn’t follow the above rule, but then I had to come to some agreement with a partner who wanted to name our son Constantine Belasarious. (He now claims he was kidding, but he most definitely was not.)

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think the number of syllables in a name can effect euphony when combined with the number of syllables of the last name. Three and four syllable first names flow especially nicely with a two syllable last name and vice versa, I think.  Mine does and I think it is very elegant. 😏 It matters where the accent is too. Of course the last name is a given to work with and there are always others. My first child’s name doesn’t follow the above rule, but then I had to come to some agreement with a partner who wanted to name our son Constantine Belasarious. (He now claims he was kidding, but he most definitely was not.)

At least he’d have been the only Constantine Belasarious in his class. 😅

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic