IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 21: 53 Standing Ovations and I Move to Brentwood!

nelliebelle1197

On 11/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, Pathologic Antagonist said:

DSCF3869a.jpg

At first I thought this plaque was directions to Rivendell.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Sasha_The_Producer said:

Gwen always wore these homemade looking Purses. I have seen others with them and they always look empty what is this about?

Gwen was all about the cross body bag- maybe it held the wrong shade of lipstick.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, rabbitholejulie said:

Gwen was all about the cross body bag- maybe it held the wrong shade of lipstick.

And Chocolate Lip liner 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I watched most of today's service because they mentioned communion, which I have been curious about. I'd love to know how they do it and what they say.  Alas, they didn't show it or mention it again. It seems like the whole communion thing goes against what they believe. Do any of you former members remember how it went?

Has anyone else noticed that Grace has a boyfriend? I think he's one of the Fischer boys.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sasha_The_Producer said:

Gwen always wore these homemade looking Purses. I have seen others with them and they always look empty what is this about?

They were to carry her phone when she was wearing something without pockets. But lets go with the wrong shade of lipstick theory instead. lol.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ManyGoats said:

I watched most of today's service because they mentioned communion, which I have been curious about. I'd love to know how they do it and what they say.  Alas, they didn't show it or mention it again. It seems like the whole communion thing goes against what they believe. Do any of you former members remember how it went?

Let me guess, they played instrumental music for a while after the video was done and then someone led a prayer? Sometimes there was a clear it’s time for communion because someone said it or it would just be after Gwen’s talk for the day. 

When I was a member they would have the ushers go aisle by aisle and a big tray that held tiny little cups of wine along with a tray of communion bread would be passed as well. There were multiple trays and the ushers started spread out so that it would be passed out efficiently. This was not the catholic wafer, but more of a cookie/shortbread textured piece of unleavened bread. If you went and found the recipes that Remnant shares for Passover, you would find the recipe that they use. 

• Thank You 4

6 hours ago, ChadelBaj said:

They were to carry her phone when she was wearing something without pockets. But lets go with the wrong shade of lipstick theory instead. lol.

Okay I at first thought it was her Mic pack.

Thank you for that. Now if we can just figure out this hair!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sasha_The_Producer said:

Maybe it held the transmitter God used to speak directly to her. 😉

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, ManyGoats said:

Maybe it held the transmitter God used to speak directly to her. 😉

7 hours ago, Sasha_The_Producer said:

Okay I at first thought it was her Mic pack.

The cross body bags aren't nearly big enough to carry an emergency bump it... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

There were multiple trays and the ushers started spread out so that it would be passed out efficiently. 

Do you recall what was said? I'm guessing it's not, "This is my body, broken for you; this is my blood which is shed for many."

• Upvote 5

On 11/14/2021 at 12:10 AM, RFsurvivor said:

Let me guess, they played instrumental music for a while after the video was done and then someone led a prayer? Sometimes there was a clear it’s time for communion because someone said it or it would just be after Gwen’s talk for the day. 

When I was a member they would have the ushers go aisle by aisle and a big tray that held tiny little cups of wine along with a tray of communion bread would be passed as well. There were multiple trays and the ushers started spread out so that it would be passed out efficiently. This was not the catholic wafer, but more of a cookie/shortbread textured piece of unleavened bread. If you went and found the recipes that Remnant shares for Passover, you would find the recipe that they use. 

That’s similar to how my former fundie-lite church did it, except grape juice instead of wine.

• Upvote 3

I’ve been thinking about Remnant in the context of the Moonies, who had a similar leader vacuum after Rev Moon died in 2012. Now ten years on there are at least two separate groups - one run by his wife who has recently called herself the female Jesus and has carried on the “main” unification church and one run by one of his sons, Sean Moon, who created an offshoot known as the “gun church” that does the traditional Moonie mass weddings with the addition of machine guns. It’s interesting to see what happens to these entrenched groups when there is no clear heir and a lot to gain. 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

Sooooo.....

Maintenance Phase podcast's patreon just dropped a review of The Way Down. The hosts, who are journalists, really disliked the doc. One actually said it was the worst documentary he has ever seen in terms of filmmaking, narrative and sequencing and interviews. In retrospect, he was not wrong. I thought back and if you are going into this with no context, there are so many missed opportunities and so much missing from the narrative. He had to actually do a lot of research to figure out how the various threads fit together. There were things about the doc I could not put my finger on that bothered me and I think in retrospect, I agree with the host -it is just not well-made or edited.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
riffles
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Sooooo.....

Maintenance Phase podcast's patreon just dropped a review of The Way Down. The hosts, who are journalists, really disliked the doc. One actually said it was the worst documentary he has ever seen in terms of filmmaking, narrative and sequencing and interviews. In retrospect, he was not wrong. I thought back and if you are going into this with no context, there are so many missed opportunities and so much missing from the narrative. He had to actually do a lot of research to figure out how the various threads fit together. There were things about the doc I could not put my finger on that bothered me and I think in retrospect, I agree with the host -it is just not well-made or edited.

I respectfully disagree... We have friends who watched with little foreknowledge who finished the documentary and thought it was well explained and clear.

I think it depends on our personalities... I'm someone who has been interested in cults for a long time before I had family in one (and I still couldn't stop them 🤦🏻‍♀️)... So had I watched that with no foreknowledge it probably would have done a ton more research and connect more dots and get more background... But I don't think they did it poorly enough that it was necessary for a basic understanding.

I was disappointed because I wanted way more coverage of the theological issues, but I understand why that wasn't the focus. I also REALLY want to see the full deposition videos... I wanted way more of that.

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I respectfully disagree... We have friends who watched with little foreknowledge who finished the documentary and thought it was well explained and clear.

I think it depends on our personalities... I'm someone who has been interested in cults for a long time before I had family in one (and I still couldn't stop them 🤦🏻‍♀️)... So had I watched that with no foreknowledge it probably would have done a ton more research and connect more dots and get more background... But I don't think they did it poorly enough that it was necessary for a basic understanding.

I was disappointed because I wanted way more coverage of the theological issues, but I understand why that wasn't the focus. I also REALLY want to see the full deposition videos... I wanted way more of that.

The podcaster goes into detail enough about his opinion that I get his POV - I do thing the way it jumps around and is not linear is really a detriment to the doc. I am still glad it was made though and I will be right there for the sequel!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

@Blue and @nelliebelle1197, one of the reasons I love this board is that even though it's a snark board, the people here are more kind and respectful to each other than anywhere else I've ever posted. 'Bad actors' get called out but disagreements are usually handled graciously. You two are perfect examples. 

Edited by ManyGoats
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

37 minutes ago, Blue said:

I thought the doc was basic info.  And I wonder what the final part was going to cover before the accident happened which changed the project completely.  There are so many layers to this story, so many videos and so much to cover.   

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Baxsmom said:

I thought the doc was basic info.  And I wonder what the final part was going to cover before the accident happened which changed the project completely.  There are so many layers to this story, so many videos and so much to cover.   

I think that's what makes it hard for me. I actually liked the documentary... I thought it was well made, but there are so many layers and aspects, and as someone close to the story it's all important to me. I did have to keep reminding myself that they didn't make it so I could have full vindication, lol.

Edited by Blue
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 11/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, ManyGoats said:

Do you recall what was said? I'm guessing it's not, "This is my body, broken for you; this is my blood which is shed for many."

There was no set statement...it was supposed to be a personal conversation between you and God more or less.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Sooooo.....

I agree. Like I said in my initial review, my husband and daughter got bored in the first episode. It kept jumping around and, even though I had told them a great deal about RF, it felt very disjointed to them. My husband watched the second episode with me but I ended up watching the last mostly by myself because they just weren’t interested. 

This didn’t get lots of Buzzfeed articles or stuff like that because to the casual viewer it truly didn’t tell the story in a clear way that captured people’s attention. Which is sad because it truly is a fascinating story. I tried to get one of my sisters who is big into documentaries about crazy stuff to watch it and she quit half way through the first episode. 

I’ve seen worse documentaries, but I think that this didn’t do the story justice and the constant jumping in time lines combined with deep dives into complex theology isn’t going to capture the interest of a good chunk of viewers. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

20 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think that's what makes it hard for me. I actually liked the documentary... I thought it was well made, but there are so many layers and aspects, and as someone close to the story it's all important to me. I did have to keep reminding myself that they didn't make it so I could have full vindication, lol.

I wanted my family to watch to the DOC.  But it was hard to explain to them the "whole" story of Remnant and Gwen.  I think they thought I was an obsessed crazy lady!  

And I got most of my information here from you guys.  I read all the past threads, it was like a car accident you can't look away from. I think so much of the truth lies here...  Thank you survivors for sharing your stories.  It is important!!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

One of the biggest problems I had was trying to figure out if any of our friends were interviewed!! I would never publicly guess of course!

We know Delaney’s mom was here and the podcaster was really critical of the edit the parents received. I did not realize how bad the parents could come off to people who had not seen the pain her mom was in and who did not know  just how devious the RF was in recruiting her. I am actually thinking of tweeting him about her just so he understands just how bad it was for the family!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

I think basically the interviews made the documentary so engaging for me. I think that’s probably what made so many people like it. I know people in real life that knew nothing of RF before watching it and really enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic