IGNORED

Dillards 90: Degrees, Exams, Vacations and Vaccinations, Oh MY!

nelliebelle1197

21 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I had to sign an NDA that never expires. And I'm cool with that because Leavenworth just isn't a place I want to go. 

I violated one--on purpose (although the actual clause was in like 2 point type buried in a mound of legalese), and I would do it again, and I had a good defense. Which if fate hadn't stepped in would have been way out of my financial league to mount. And believe me they (large corporation with all the associated resources) did come after me. They are definitely enforceable and unless you have a real moral issue that leaves you no other option as a human, it's not a spear I'd recommend falling on.

13 hours ago, patsymae said:

I violated one--on purpose (although the actual clause was in like 2 point type buried in a mound of legalese), and I would do it again, and I had a good defense. Which if fate hadn't stepped in would have been way out of my financial league to mount. And believe me they (large corporation with all the associated resources) did come after me. They are definitely enforceable and unless you have a real moral issue that leaves you no other option as a human, it's not a spear I'd recommend falling on.

I had access to certain classified information. and well, that's stuff that never gets unclassified

• Upvote 1

@feministxtian  I live in Washington state, and spent a part of each of my summers when I was growing up in Leavenworth, WA where my evangelical church had a ranch/family camp.  When I first read your statement about not wanting to go to Leavenworth, my first thought was, "well, kitschy, fake Bavarian tourist traps aren't for everyone, but it's not that bad. In fact the non-fake-Bavarian scenery is really nice (Cascade Mountains, Icicle Creek, Wenatchee River)."

It took me a minute to realize you were referring to the other Leavenworth.

• Haha 27

2 hours ago, Pibblesmiles said:

@feministxtian  I live in Washington state, and spent a part of each of my summers when I was growing up in Leavenworth, WA where my evangelical church had a ranch/family camp.  When I first read your statement about not wanting to go to Leavenworth, my first thought was, "well, kitschy, fake Bavarian tourist traps aren't for everyone, but it's not that bad. In fact the non-fake-Bavarian scenery is really nice (Cascade Mountains, Icicle Creek, Wenatchee River)."

It took me a minute to realize you were referring to the other Leavenworth.

I live on the other side of the country, but I also live near a kitschy, fake Bavarian tourist trap! How many are there?!

• Haha 6

Seven, according to travelawaits.com/2555912/us-bavarian-villages-that-feel-like-germany.

Frankenmuth, MI

Leavenworth, WA

Helen, GA

Hermann, MO

Amana Colonies, IA

New Ulm, MN

Germantown, WI

Who knew?

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 11

11 hours ago, Pibblesmiles said:

Seven, according to travelawaits.com/2555912/us-bavarian-villages-that-feel-like-germany.

Frankenmuth, MI

Leavenworth, WA

Helen, GA

Hermann, MO

Amana Colonies, IA

New Ulm, MN

Germantown, WI

Who knew?

ROFL. I had a look, and most of those look more like German-themed theme parks to me...

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Pibblesmiles said:

Frankenmuth, MI

Leavenworth, WA

Helen, GA

Hermann, MO

Amana Colonies, IA

New Ulm, MN

Germantown, WI

Who knew?

I have never been to Germany, but I have been to Frankenmuth. It is a great place to go to get a tasty chicken dinner, fudge, and Christmas decorations/ornaments. I really hope no one thinks it is authentic.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I haven't been to any of the other towns, but trust me, nobody thinks Leavenworth is authentic.  Except for maybe 8 year old me.

Even the Safeway grocery store and the gas station are chalet-style, FFS.  The McDonald's is about 2 miles outside of town, so it escaped the kitschy fake Bavarian ordinances.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Pibblesmiles said:

I haven't been to any of the other towns, but trust me, nobody thinks Leavenworth is authentic.  Except for maybe 8 year old me.

Even the Safeway grocery store and the gas station are chalet-style, FFS.  The McDonald's is about 2 miles outside of town, so it escaped the kitschy fake Bavarian ordinances.

Hahaha, I live in WA as well and have been many times, you described it so well.  I haven't been back in a couple of years since the last visit ended up in my partner having a visit to the Chelan County jail (too much beer).

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

8 hours ago, Ali said:

I have never been to Germany, but I have been to Frankenmuth. It is a great place to go to get a tasty chicken dinner, fudge, and Christmas decorations/ornaments. I really hope no one thinks it is authentic.

I have been to Frankenmuth, MI as well and 100% agree with you on all counts.  Ate a chicken dinner at Bavarian Inn, picked up some fudge in one of the little shops and of course went to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland.  Don't forget a cheese run at Frankenmuth Cheese Haus!   

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

I just learned about Frankenmuth and went to their website. I ordered a FREE travel brochure to come to my house in the actual snail mail. I embraced the 1970s-era marketing and when it arrived my husband was like..ummm...this came for you?  Ha!  I think we need to take our kids there someday. We are in NE Ohio, so it's not that far.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

We did Frankenmuth a year ago the day after Thanksgiving. It was cold but that made the face masks useful on two counts. Watched the tree light show as the horse drawn carriages went by. Visited the museum on that main shopping street. Did not eat at a restaurant due to COVID unfortunately but we had eaten before we left and packed snacks and lunch. Finished at Bronner’s while the boys went to a military museum.

Frankenmuth is where I bought not a single German thing but I did find an oven mitt with the Michigan state on it with cities and towns labeled. I like it because it reminds me of the Michigan thing where they use their hand to show where they’re from.

Edited by BensAllergies
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

We did Frankenmuth a year ago the day after Thanksgiving. It was cold but that made the face masks useful on two counts. Watched the tree light show as the horse drawn carriages went by. Visited the museum on that main shopping street. Did not eat at a restaurant due to COVID unfortunately but we had eaten before we left and packed snacks and lunch. Finished at Bronner’s while the boys went to a military museum.

Frankenmuth is where I bought not a single German thing but I did find an oven mitt with the Michigan state on it with cities and towns labeled. I like it because it reminds me of the Michigan thing where they use their hand to show where they’re from.

I purchased some Michigan Mittens in Frankenmuth.  One mitten (right) is Lower Michigan and the other (left)is the Upper Peninsula.   When you put your hands together you get the whole state.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

I drove through Frankenmuth once or twice when living in Saginaw in the mid-90s, but mainly I remember it for the tornado 25 years ago. We had no basement and I had all the kids crammed into a bathroom while we waited it out, then we learned there was a lot of destruction in Frankenmuth, which was less than twenty miles away. 

Good lord, I had 4.5 kids at the time, what would I have done with over a dozen? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I have been to Frankenmuth, MI as well and 100% agree with you on all counts.  Ate a chicken dinner at Bavarian Inn, picked up some fudge in one of the little shops and of course went to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland.  Don't forget a cheese run at Frankenmuth Cheese Haus!   

I believe you mean Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland. 😉  Love Bronner's. I always spend way too much there. 

My husband's friend used to live on Main Street in Frankenmuth (I don't think he anticipated the sheer amount of polka music he'd hear). We used to spend New Years Eve at his place every year. It was nice always having a guaranteed parking spot when we went there. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

I was in Leavenworth on Christmas Eve and apart from huge crowds of tourists it was pretty magical with the snow falling and all the lights. I usually go once each winter so I can get my fondue and glühwein fix! And then again in the summer when my dog inevitably ends up (almost) tracking down a bear on the Icicle River trail until I realize what she's doing and then drag her away in the opposite direction.

Good times!

• Upvote 8

Leavenworth is kitschy, but one of my favorite places is there -- The PostHotel.  I was there in October, and my mom gave my husband and I gift certificates to go back at some point.  I can't wait for another weekend of happy, spa vacation.

• Upvote 3

I grew up near Helen, GA.  Never been to Germany, so I can't compare it.  They do have good food, fudge, and a Christmas store.  You can also go tubing in the Chattahoochee River in the summer.  

• Upvote 9

22 hours ago, GutenbergGirl said:

I grew up near Helen, GA.  Never been to Germany, so I can't compare it.  They do have good food, fudge, and a Christmas store.  You can also go tubing in the Chattahoochee River in the summer.  

Not gonna lie, those places all look like a lot of fun, and I'd love to check one out if I ever travel to the States again. I just feel contractually obliged to point out they're not a realistic representation of daily life in Germany 😂. But then, you guys probably knew that... 😉

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

I enjoyed going to Helen, GA a lot when I was younger. It was really a cute town to walk around.

It's also very close to Babyland General Hospital where the Cabbage Patch Kids are born - they moved the hospital into a bigger building several years ago but I haven't been there since. It is also fun. More fun as a kid, but still interesting enough to stop in as an adult. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:26 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

I purchased some Michigan Mittens in Frankenmuth.  One mitten (right) is Lower Michigan and the other (left)is the Upper Peninsula.   When you put your hands together you get the whole state.  

I have those oven mitts!! When I got married (and moved across the river to Canada) - my mom made sure I had them. And yes - we Michiganders totally use our hands to tell you where we're from!! 

I haven't been to Bronners in DECADES. I think I was maybe 7 and I left my purse (with a whopping $7 in it) at the McDonalds and that's about what I remember about Bronners. 

I will say that - while not German/Bavarian - Pella, Iowa is very VERY Dutch. Windmill in town, giant wooden shoes. The lady at the car rental place - upon hearing it was my first time there said "Oh - that town is lovely. It's like a team of Molly Maids go through each night." And she was not wrong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

Just joining in on the Bronner's love. Potatohusband grew up within half an hour of Frankenmuth and we almost always stop by when visiting his family. I always forget just how big Bronner's is.

• Upvote 3

Helen, GA is a very fun place to visit! I have relatives who live near there.

I partly grew up in the somewhat less touristy (I think) Norwegian-themed town of Poulsbo, WA (not far from Seattle). The roots of the town are Norwegian and there are heritage groups and such (very fun to go to their events!). I never got the impression that we had a lot of visitors because of those things but I might just not have noticed (very possible) and the downtown is a really nice place to walk around if you’re ever out that way!

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/little-norway-poulsbo/

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

Helen, GA is a very fun place to visit! I have relatives who live near there.

I partly grew up in the somewhat less touristy (I think) Norwegian-themed town of Poulsbo, WA (not far from Seattle). The roots of the town are Norwegian and there are heritage groups and such (very fun to go to their events!). I never got the impression that we had a lot of visitors because of those things but I might just not have noticed (very possible) and the downtown is a really nice place to walk around if you’re ever out that way!

https://www.norwegianamerican.com/little-norway-poulsbo/

I love Poulsbo!  I live in Bothell but enjoy going to Poulsbo because my grandmother was Norwegian.  She was born in Seattle in 1891 and never wanted to live anywhere else.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I would love to retire in Poulsbo.  Not for the Norwegian themed shops (although there are some tasty bakeries), but for the views and the smaller town way of life.

My farmor was born in Mandal, Norway in 1905.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic