IGNORED

Dillards 90: Degrees, Exams, Vacations and Vaccinations, Oh MY!

nelliebelle1197

Derick may have failed the bar but at least the Dills are vaccinated, right? And I kinda want a Modli swimsuit....

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 1

How are they making money right now? Is Jill making commissions off Modli? 

10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Derick may have failed the bar but at least the Dills are vaccinated, right? And I kinda want a Modli swimsuit....

I have two Modli suits, I love them!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pleiades_06 said:

How are they making money right now? Is Jill making commissions off Modli? 

Derick has done various jobs- food delivery etc and he may have a paid internship that he sensibly isn’t talking about on social media. Jill has a number of paid partnerships including Amy’s clothes store. Plus they have whatever they squeezed out of JB.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Derick has done various jobs- food delivery etc and he may have a paid internship that he sensibly isn’t talking about on social media. Jill has a number of paid partnerships including Amy’s clothes store. Plus they have whatever they squeezed out of JB.

That’s one thing about Derick—he isn’t above delivering pizzas.  I would expect he’s working at something.

• Upvote 37
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Can Derick work as a paralegal until he passes the Bar? Or is he financially better off doing paid internships?

Most law school graduates don’t want to work as paralegals. It’s different work. There are jobs for law school graduates who haven’t passed the bar that go by various names. The question is whether he has lost the presumed job now that he has apparently failed the bar.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Can I ask, do we know for a fact that he sat for and failed the bar, or is this just an assumption based on the fact that his name was not listed with those who did pass? Is there a chance he just decided to wait until next February? If so, the Dills obviously have some cu$hion. As an example, I took the CA nursing boards the February before I graduated from nursing school. I had no cushion and needed to seek immediate employment and make money sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, viii said:

I don't think we have any proof that he actually took the bar. 

A lot of assumptions are being made here, as usual 😉

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 35
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, viii said:

I don't think we have any proof that he actually took the bar. 

May graduation to July exam isn't a lot of time in terms of studying for the Bar. If they have a financial cushion (and they appear to), he may have decided to wait until February to allow some family time over the summer and then more study time.  

And he seems to not be at home during the day. Jill's IG stories are about her and the kids at home. I think he'd show up or be mentioned if he were at home. So he's likely working somewhere or doing review/study programs. 

• Upvote 14

Derick pimped out the BarBri study program last fall. They stated a few months ago that he planned to take the bar in July. I think he took it and didn't pass.

• Upvote 3

It would be very uncommon not to take the bar summer after you graduate. Also there's an advantage to taking it shortly after school when you're used to studying and potentially take her some of the classes recently

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Derick pimped out the BarBri study program last fall. They stated a few months ago that he planned to take the bar in July. I think he took it and didn't pass.

Yea, but his family had a big ass huge public family scandal in the spring. I can’t imagine that wouldn’t be hugely distracting, even with their fairly limited contact. That’s a LOT of emotional s*it to deal with in his home. I’m sure lots of talks between the siblings, worry about the neices/nephews, worry about Michelle, anger at Josh. Bringing up all sorts of trauma for Jill, doubts, a million questions from outsiders, etc etc…… all hitting as he’s finishing up law school and has 3 months to graduate and prep/ study.  I would definitely see why he’d decide to wait if he possibly could. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, louisa05 said:

May graduation to July exam isn't a lot of time in terms of studying for the Bar. If they have a financial cushion (and they appear to), he may have decided to wait until February to allow some family time over the summer and then more study time.  

And he seems to not be at home during the day. Jill's IG stories are about her and the kids at home. I think he'd show up or be mentioned if he were at home. So he's likely working somewhere or doing review/study programs. 

The vast majority of the people I know who graduated from law school in May took the bar in late July, as I did, after doing a "boot camp" type bar review course.  It would be unusual to wait until February to take it - that's too much time to kill before being admitted to practice.

11 hours ago, marmalade said:

As a third-year law student a million years ago, I too pimped out the BarBri program, because selling a certain number of courses gave me the free course I myself needed - otherwise I would have needed (more) loans to pay for it.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

I used Barbri twice. I paid for the first barbri in the state were I went to law school and then got a discount a couple years later when I moved home and took the CA bar. Studying for and taking the bar is a grueling thing, I’m glad I passed first time for both bars I took, I can’t imagine the added stress of having to try again.

It looks like the Arkansas bar pass rate is around 60% https://www.ncbex.org/statistics-and-research/bar-exam-results/. I would be very surprised if Derick did not take the July bar, I graduated law school a couple of decades ago and have known hundreds of lawyers, & IME everyone takes that first bar after they graduate. I found out I was pregnant (not planned, BC failure) while in bar review & had morning sickness & had to go throw up a couple of times during the bar, yet I still took it. Could someone have opted not to, I suppose, but I’ve never heard of anyone doing so & here in CA conversations about how many & which bar you passed come up frequently, especially w/ new lawyers, since CA’s fail rate is so high.

It does suck to be in the public eye and fail a bar exam - I had a friend who was a US senator’s daughter who failed the bar on her first try and it hit the local papers because of who her father was, so unfair IMO & it caused her a lot of unnecessary embarrassment & pain.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 21
  • Love 3

I learned long ago that these folks are not like the rest of society. For all the complaining JB has done about his lackluster father, I do think his parents helped them a lot, both with the kids and early on, financially. How did Deanna support herself in the early years? I think J’GMMary was a shrewd business person, and floated JB ( and his sister)money for his first home, cars and business(es). 

JB, in a controlled way, is doing the same.

The Dillards have never been destitute, and for the last 4 years, they’ve not, as far as we know, had any sizable or family supporting income. In that time, they’ve purchased a new home, financed law school and taken numerous vacations. Again, I don’t think the need for money is compelling for the Dillards.

I applaud them for not adding more children during this time.

• Upvote 9

Clearly, God is giving Derick spare time and financial need so that he will write the tell-all already.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Clearly, God is giving Derick spare time and financial need so that he will write the tell-all already.

Though I walk through the shadow of JB? Possible title to be matchy matchy with his mother. I can’t remember specifically Wagga hers was but it’s similar to that… lol

Totally off topic but Jill posted an IG story of Israel finding "another tomato worm" on their plants.  HOLY FUCK, it's god damn mothra. I was expecting some 1 inch long thing, not a giant green monster. 

• Haha 16

3 hours ago, JMO said:

Totally off topic but Jill posted an IG story of Israel finding "another tomato worm" on their plants.  HOLY FUCK, it's god damn mothra. I was expecting some 1 inch long thing, not a giant green monster. 

My mother tried her hand at growing tomatoes and ended up with tomatoes full of holes and huge green worms all over the place.  Needless to say, her attempt at gardening was a disaster.

And the more tomato these worms attack and eat, the bigger they get.  Apparently up to five inches.

https://www.almanac.com/pest/tomato-hornworms#  

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • WTF 3

Despite their huge size tomato hornworms are remarkably hard to find munching on your plants in the daylight, but they’ll glow green if you go out looking for them at night w/ a black light :)

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, sndral said:

Despite their huge size tomato hornworms are remarkably hard to find munching on your plants in the daylight, but they’ll glow green if you go out looking for them at night w/ a black light :)

Now that will just give me nightmares

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic