IGNORED

Dillards 90: Degrees, Exams, Vacations and Vaccinations, Oh MY!

nelliebelle1197

On 1/13/2022 at 10:03 PM, Mama Mia said:

Solvang is the Danish  theme town my family would stop at on our way to Los Angeles. I loved it. So pretty, and the best split pea soup. I haven’t been since I was young, but now I want to go back. 
https://www.solvangusa.com/

Solvang is still very similar to how I remember it 30 years ago. Perhaps a couple more chain-feeling stores, but the same bakeries and restaurants. I grew up going to Mortensen's for pastries when we were in the area. I was just thinking about their petit fours the other day. I love going at Christmas time when everything is decorated. My son's school did a field trip there recently and I was sad I couldn't talk him into going.

We stopped in Poulsbo a few years ago (also for the bakery. Can you tell what I like to eat?). It seemed pretty busy with tourists, but it was a weekday in summer. I'd love to go back. We were on our way to somewhere else, so we didn't linger and gift shops are not always the best place to take small children. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

• 4 weeks later...

Jill and Derick released a statement about the verdict in the sisters lawsuit. I smell Derick behind the keyboard - the wording is very much that of someone who knows the law.

https://www.dillardfamily.com/2022/02/the-ruling-on-our-case-what-it-means-going-forward/

Edit: The verdict in short means, as I understand it, that the person who released the information was wrong to do so, but that she won't be punished for it. 

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

14 minutes ago, xenobia said:

Jill and Derick released a statement about the verdict in the sisters lawsuit. I smell Derick behind the keyboard - the wording is very much that of someone who knows the law.

https://www.dillardfamily.com/2022/02/the-ruling-on-our-case-what-it-means-going-forward/

Edit: The verdict in short means, as I understand it, that the person who released the information was wrong to do so, but that she won't be punished for it. 

Public service should not be a haven for individuals seeking to fulfill their own personal vendetta.

I get why they're upset, but is the implication that the public servants went into their line of work with the intention of inflicting intentional pain on others, in this case the Duggar sisters because of their own agenda?

That's not even rational.

I understand why the court ruled why they did, and I understand why that completely sucks...but I don't think Derick (who clearly wrote this) understands the definition of the word intentionally.

I do find it odd this reads like a much stronger statement than the one they made after the verdict. It's almost as if denying Derick money makes him more angry than harm to victims.

Maybe I'm cynical, but it's not implausible.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 12

Agree with @HerNameIsBuffy.  And I also wonder if part of the underlying message of that reply was also pointed at JB Duggar? “ Victims need to be supported and protected, nit hung out to dry dry simply because the end justifies the means.” And yes, absolutely, DD scribed this. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I thought the point of the judgement was their was no proof it was done with intention to cause distress? Derick seems to be saying they did intend to cause distress.

I do genuinely feel it’s unfair but as ever these people don’t do themselves any favours. Trotting out the ‘ we work to help victims’ line- they said that after the Fox interviews but still continued to support the family brand for a long time afterwards.
It’s not just the public authority that has a cavalier attitude to childrens’ privacy - so do the Duggar family. Josiah aside they all parade their kids for cash and benefits in kind.

• Upvote 10

3 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I thought the point of the judgement was their was no proof it was done with intention to cause distress? Derick seems to be saying they did intend to cause distress.

I do genuinely feel it’s unfair but as ever these people don’t do themselves any favours. Trotting out the ‘ we work to help victims’ line- they said that after the Fox interviews but still continued to support the family brand for a long time afterwards.
It’s not just the public authority that has a cavalier attitude to childrens’ privacy - so do the Duggar family. Josiah aside they all parade their kids for cash and benefits in kind.

Yes, seems to be an either willful or ignorant misinterpretation of the ruling.  Not a good look for a wannabe practicing attorney.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

I know there's other news going on, but I feel strongly confident in saying that Jill is trying to protect her boys  more on her Instagram. I do not think her last couple posts are coincidences.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I know there's other news going on, but I feel strongly confident in saying that Jill is trying to protect her boys  more on her Instagram. I do not think her last couple posts are coincidences.

You mean with hiding their faces?  I tend to agree, although I don't follow any of them and only see what gets posted to snark boards.  I'll be honest, Idk what purpose this serves.  I know Jinger is doing the same.  I get keeping them off social media and that makes sense, but putting their lives out there while blurring faces seems performative to me, but maybe there is something I'm missing.

l

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, JDuggs said:

This reminds me that the Arkansas bar exam is coming up on 2/22 and 2/23. I wonder if Derick is ready this time around.

Good question, is he even working?  I know several lawyers who got entry level jobs in law and then their firms footed the bill for their bar exam, but I know things have changed since then.

• Upvote 4

What do you think Derrick meant by this: “They have been blamed, shamed, and bullied into silence for too long, so why are we surprised that perpetrators continue to be emboldened while victims are punished for their voice.”

Is he just speaking generally, or did the sisters feel like they were being silenced (by their parents…??).  I don’t understand that part of the statement. 

Being publicly humiliated by having those reports released is sad and wrong and yet, it opened the door to expose Josh’s sexual deviancy.  I know the ends don’t justify the means, but I am glad for the ending in this case. 

• Upvote 8

Just now, SimplyMe said:

What do you think Derrick meant by this: “They have been blamed, shamed, and bullied into silence for too long, so why are we surprised that perpetrators continue to be emboldened while victims are punished for their voice.”

Is he just speaking generally, or did the sisters feel like they were being silenced (by their parents…??).  I don’t understand that part of the statement. 

Being publicly humiliated by having those reports released is sad and wrong and yet, it opened the door to expose Josh’s sexual deviancy.  I know the ends don’t justify the means, but I am glad for the ending in this case. 

I think that part was Derrick multi- tasking in his venting by getting a dig in at JB, and auditioning as an advocate for abuse cases or being a talking head once he passes the bar.

Derrick is an interesting one - he seems very hotheaded for a lawyer. I think the ruling was awful and unfair, but it certainly didn’t seem like officials involved with releasing the info we’re doing it purposefully to hurt the victims. Or even to hurt the Duggar’s in general. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

Derick has been very quiet on social media so I assumed he was working and sensibly keeping quiet about it.

If Derick thinks the women were bullied and shamed then he needs to acknowledge the part JB and M played in this - they tried to make sure it’s as never spoken of and then when it was made public tried to use it to their advantage to gain more public attention. People can drop off the grid if they want to- Josiah has shown that. Derick and Jill could live their lives in relative privacy and people would soon forget they existed.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I think that part was Derrick multi- tasking in his venting by getting a dig in at JB, and auditioning as an advocate for abuse cases or being a talking head once he passes the bar.

Derrick is an interesting one - he seems very hotheaded for a lawyer. I think the ruling was awful and unfair, but it certainly didn’t seem like officials involved with releasing the info we’re doing it purposefully to hurt the victims. Or even to hurt the Duggar’s in general. 

You’re probably right- the statement is a bit jumbled and all over the place.  Hopefully he calms the hot-headedness down a bit with age.  He’s still quite young and inexperienced, I’m sure he’ll get more refined with time.  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

It sounds to me like maybe more was going on behind the scenes with the release of the records. I mean, in a small town community, it doesn’t seem a reach that there was animosity toward the Duggars such that a public servant would be eager to publicize their scandal. I imagine that would feel really gratifying honestly, if you had watched them rise to fame and in day to day life found them abusive or offensive. Combine that with ignorance or stupidity in how it would affect minors, and I could see a result where it wasn’t innocent yet also wasn’t specifically malicious toward the victims.

I think the blaming/shaming bit is more broadly for survivors in general - the girls included - who are silenced and the secondary and tertiary abuse when allegations are mishandled. I also wonder if during the lawsuit they weren’t legally permitted to speak about it, and now with this result that adds injury?

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

See, I don’t read this as a dig at Boobchelle at all…I see it as a finger pointed at the officials who released the report, and the media in general, because they killed the cash cow. Derick’s outrage toward Boob has always been about money, not the abuse Jill suffered. And he never once said anything negative about Josh until he was arrested. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

57 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

Derick has been very quiet on social media so I assumed he was working and sensibly keeping quiet about it.

If Derick thinks the women were bullied and shamed then he needs to acknowledge the part JB and M played in this - they tried to make sure it’s as never spoken of and then when it was made public tried to use it to their advantage to gain more public attention. People can drop off the grid if they want to- Josiah has shown that. Derick and Jill could live their lives in relative privacy and people would soon forget they existed.

Agreed, but then he'd have to forgo Jill's influencer money and the attention he clearly craves.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

53 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

While I understand Derrick's disappointment, especially given how close he is to this case, one thing he will have to get used to is if he's going to be a practicing attorney, is dealing with rulings that he doesn't like.

56 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

ITA.   First, it was to keep quiet and away from any public knowledge then it was to get public sympathy when it came out anyway, including getting their daughters to discuss it on a televised interview.   They tried to play it both ways (albeit at different times) and it ended up backfiring.   That's on JB and J'chelle IMO. 

I was never very sure how big the Duggars were in their local area anyway but whatever notoriety they do have seems to come from their own actions (cue J'chelle's robo call as an example).   It doesn't seem hard that any of them could become invisible in their own backyard if they wanted to. 

• Upvote 3

I think there’s a lot of weirdness in that statement, but I’m glad Jill has someone on her side at least attempting to fight for/alongside her.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived most of my life in a small town, it is not a stretch to me at all to believe someone in the records office isn’t a Duggar fan and was happy to release those records.  I agree with the judge that you can’t prove malice, but it’s not at all a stretch for me to e believe JB isn’t well liked around town and someone happily released those records.   I personally think Josh would have eventually been caught with CSAM—the feds weren’t watching him personally because of long ago molestation.  They track the files and just follow where it goes.  So releasing those records may have ended the show early but really, Josh is a douche bag pedophile and would have been caught anyway. 
While part of me is really glad Josh’s previous behavior was publicly exposed, I am never in favor of anything that harms or revictimizes innocent victims.

Edited by sableduck
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

On 2/19/2022 at 1:26 PM, sableduck said:

Having lived most of my life in a small town, it is not a stretch to me at all to believe someone in the records office isn’t a Duggar fan and was happy to release those records.  I agree with the judge that you can’t prove malice, but it’s not at all a stretch for me to e believe JB isn’t well liked around town and someone happily released those records.   I personally think Josh would have eventually been caught with CSAM—the feds weren’t watching him personally because of long ago molestation.  They track the files and just follow where it goes.  So releasing those records may have ended the show early but really, Josh is a douche bag pedophile and would have been caught anyway. 
While part of me is really glad Josh’s previous behavior was publicly exposed, I am never in favor of anything that harms or revictimizes innocent victims.

Do we know what the locals think of the Duggars?

On 2/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, sableduck said:

Yep, totally agree, and also, NO ONE, especially a person/family that has zero appreciable talents or skills greater than any other average person, is guaranteed a media career or money generating TV show. The Duggars were lucky to have the show for as long as they did. JB sold his pure as the driven snow family (not) to the highest bidder fully knowing the problems that existed. Jesus doesn’t like liars, JB. It’s even in the good book.

• Upvote 14

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic