IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

I agree that Linked In is very likely the only social media Sarah is allowed to have.

I noticed that in the videos on ABC's Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJcZnkJuGz78QJv3AmqgOw, you often see the audience arriving at the beginning of the services. Maybe we will get lucky and catch a glimpse of the Maxwell sisters.

Also, do we think they have a car with them? Its a 12 1/2 hour drive back to Leavenworth--who helped them move into the dorm? What will they do over fall break (Oct 1-3)?

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I don't know what the requirements are in Leavenworth, but here, he'd be too old. For the fire department EMT anyway. They don't take anyone over 35 for "cadet" training. 

There may be private companies that would take a 40 year old man in training, but I have no clue how private companies work. And I know here, they get a lot of their staff from burn out county EMT's. My brother being one of them. 

My cousin did it later but he was in grad school for nursing while he was an EMT!

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, mystikchick17 said:

You come by to check in casually on John and Chelsy's baby girl and you just happen to click on this thread and people, I was not ready. 

College. Knees. West Virginia. 

I am completely shook. 

Right? Like there needs to be a warning to sit down and read this thread. What if someone was walking along, minding their own business while reading this thread, and bam! Max girls are in college. That’s dangerous! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 32

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Right? Like there needs to be a warning to sit down and read this thread. What if someone was walking along, minding their own business while reading this thread, and bam! Max girls are in college. That’s dangerous! 

It's in the title.  :mouse-shock: :mouse-shock::mouse-shock:

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is never addressed on the blog. Their hardcore fans would only get information from the blog, so they would never dig deeper to find out more about the family and find out about A & M being in college. They are likely assuming everything is the same as always and the young women are being taking care of the family and working for their brothers. 

Even though this is a strict, conservative school, it is likely less strict than growing up in Maxwell land. They are going to come in contact with people who don’t buy the ideology but went to the school because it was the on way to get out of the house and people who were raised conservative but not necessarily crazy. Not every will have the same belief system. Education is a dangerous thing because one you have had it, what you have learned can’t be taken away and is forever imprinted on you. Something upset the apple cart in Maxwell land for things to change so dramatically that college became a viable option. I could see Anna and Mary having the best chance of all the fundies of doing well at an accredited school because they seem to have raised to work hard in general. They have well educated parents, and so they may have received a better education at home than we are led to believe even with Teri’s depression limiting her ability to help teach them at times. 

Everyone needs to now go out and buy a lottery ticket because hell has officially frozen over. 

Edited by socalrules
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 8

30 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Even though this is a strict, conservative school, it is likely less strict than growing up in Maxwell land.

Does ABC allow its students to drink Pepsi? THAT is the real question here.

:soda:

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 30

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Does ABC allow its students to drink Pepsi? THAT is the real question here.

:soda:

I regret to inform you that this picture of the cafeteria from the ABC website appears to depict a Coca-Cola brands vending machine.

image.png.af0ec8bb4b28d8b4a0ea3e7f3b021903.png

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 38
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's in the title.  :mouse-shock: :mouse-shock::mouse-shock:

I don't think I even registered the words fully because my brain was too busy going "wait, what?! LIKE ACTUAL COLLEGE?!?!" and then there was a picture and I had a mini-meltdown. 😅

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

Wow.  I haven't been checking FJ or the Maxhell blog very often lately due to time constraints.  I thought the title had to be a joke, like I really thought I was going to be disappointed when I opened it.  I've been following the Maxhells for about twenty years and never thought I'd see something like this.

Well good for Anna and Mary.  I hope Sarah is doing ok and we see some good changes for her (if she wants them).

Maybe I missed it but how did the OP happen to run across this?

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I regret to inform you that this picture of the cafeteria from the ABC website appears to depict a Coca-Cola brands vending machine.

image.png.af0ec8bb4b28d8b4a0ea3e7f3b021903.png

I bet Steve looked into it and made the decision to let them attend based on it being a Coke campus, not a Pepsi campus. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 30

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I bet Steve looked into it and made the decision to let them attend based on it being a Coke campus, not a Pepsi campus. 

I can hear the old Steve (maybe the current Steve, too - who knows?) in my mind: "But, but, but - anything can become an idol! Pepsi, Coke, college, being a person with a brain who makes her own choices, friendship, breathing! There's a danger in anything one enjoys!"

Heheheh - suck it, Steve.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

Coming soon from Sarah: Molly Moody Goes to College

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 40
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

...but only for one semester, where she meets Prince Charming and immediately gets married and starts popping out a kid a year, all named with the first letter of her new surname.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

no way in hell would I have wanted to share a room at university. 

I would far and away have preferred my own room. I would have still be able to participate in the social activities in a dorm but I'd also have my own space. For a long time, I did not like my roommate much - we were just too different. We both made an effort and over time we came to be friends but we both chose to move to a place where we could have our own room the next year.

A single room was not an option for me that first year but if it had been, I would have snapped it up.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

My cousin did it later but he was in grad school for nursing while he was an EMT!

Fire based EMS follows the fire department hiring guidelines, but honestly it’s rare in rural areas that rely on small paid and volunteer ambulances.  If he wanted to become an EMT, he wouldn’t have a problem, especially if he wanted to become a paramedic.  We routinely hire older EMTs at the ambulance company I work for; a lot are new retirees who retire at 45 or 50 from fire department or law enforcement and are ready for a second career.

I will give Steve a tiny amount of credit though. When I teach EMS classes I do tell people that if being at every baseball game and every class concert and every single holiday forever is important, it’s not the best full time career.  You work weird hours and holidays.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

On 9/8/2021 at 5:48 PM, FrumperedCat said:

They do have a chapel on campus, hosting thrice weekly services.  Sounds mandatory too. Link to recordings - 

LOL it's a Bible College--of course it is mandatory lol. Probably have to sign in and sing out of it of swipe your cafeterian/student card. Make up sessions, too--ours are listening to recorded sermons lol.

39 minutes ago, Bethy said:

...but only for one semester, where she meets Prince Charming and immediately gets married and starts popping out a kid a year, all named with the first letter of her new surname.

You forgot "After seeing the error of her ways, she quits after meeting her Prince Charming...." She earned her Mrs. degree, but never learned to play bridge (a bow to my mother's 50's college girl generation--many of whom majored in bridge)

Edited by IReallyAmHopewell
typo
  • Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

LOL it's a Bible College--of course it is mandatory lol. Probably have to sign in and sing out of it of swipe your cafeterian/student card. Make up sessions, too--ours are listening to recorded sermons lol.

Not only is it mandatory, but so are whatever services are held by the church they attend on Sundays. Which they have to attend wearing a jacket and tie for boys, or a dress/skirt for girls, regardless of whether that is the church's actual dress code.

And the church is asked to report them to the college if they don't attend.

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

That actually wouldn't be terrible. I wouldn't rule it out at all some scenes set at Extra Godly Bible College (Not Those Other Colleges, None of That) being in her latest series.

6 hours ago, socalrules said:

I could see Anna and Mary having the best chance of all the fundies of doing well at an accredited school because they seem to have raised to work hard in general. They have well educated parents, and so they may have received a better education at home than we are led to believe even with Teri’s depression limiting her ability to help teach them at times. 

Both Anna and Mary were on the president's list in 2020 and 2021 which means they were in the top tier of students at the college (and which also earns them a small scholarship of around $1800 per year). I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have other scholarships as well. 

If they are also working on campus - or maybe if they've saved up some of their income from working for the family businesses - it's possible that it hasn't cost Steve that much money at all. 

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

I imagine that they do have a good deal of money saved up. I know they haven't had any serious jobs- mostly just book keeping and illustrating the Moody books; however, they also don't really have to pay for anything on a daily basis either. 

I was at a fair recently that had a face painter and a balloon animal maker who were from a local "circus college" . They were no where near as good as Anna and Mary. They weren't charging; however, people were tipping them quite well. They definitely have had the potential to earn money with their talents in these areas. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Whaaaaaat?! Of course this happens while I'm away, as usual.  I pop back after a week away and everything's changed!  And the Maxgirls are in college too.  I still had the old thread open (with the initial post about this news redacted) so it took a while to actually see what was going on.

I've never worn a dress or skirt, but I hope to when we get out of lockdown.  If we ever get out of lockdown.

Edited by CyborgKin
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 9/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am embarrassed to admit this. But there were weekdays that I went to bed at 10:30pm in college. Especially if I had been up late the night before. Nowadays, I am often asleep at 10pm. 

Don’t be! You’re not the only one!

I’m naturally a night person, but having 8 am classes 3 days per week meant that I would go to bed early. There was no other way I could focus on chemistry otherwise!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Oh college sleeping and today sleeping. I have never been one to sleep in (9am is sleeping in for me). In college I would avoid 8 am classes but still had a couple and I worked in a bar. I worked Monday Night Football for 3 years closed the bar around 2 am and in my last semester would then go student teach at 7:30 (arrival, school started at 8 am). Even before I student taught I would close the bar at midnight or 2 am and then go to a 9 am class. Now 20+ years later, I am often going to bed after 10 pm, asleep by 11 pm-ish and up at 5:30am or 6 am for work or a run. 11pm to 5:30 is 6 1/2 hours of sleep, I do better on 7 hours so I try to at least get that but sometimes it doesn't work out. I have teens, I stay up for them doing homework or curfews/work or they want to chat before bed and I don't want dissuade them from talking to me or they think I don't care when they come home. Even the weeks when I don't have my girls my schedule is about the same. On the weekend I do sleep in to about 7:30am. 

• Upvote 9

18 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Oh college sleeping and today sleeping.

I can't imagine doing now the sleep schedule I did then. One year my suitemates and I had a tradition of gathering to watch 10 PM tv reruns (including Soul Train) after finishing studying . My senior year (when I was finally drinking age) my girlfriends and I would go out to a favorite bar at 10:30 PM or so. It wasn't uncommon on Sat and Sunday mornings to sleep till 10:30 or 11 AM. Now neither my bladder nor my stomach will allow that.

• Upvote 13

Just now, HereticHick said:

I can't imagine doing now the sleep schedule I did then. One year my suitemates and I had a tradition of gathering to watch 10 PM tv reruns (including Soul Train) after finishing studying . My senior year (when I was finally drinking age) my girlfriends and I would go out to a favorite bar at 10:30 PM or so. It wasn't uncommon on Sat and Sunday mornings to sleep till 10:30 or 11 AM. Now neither my bladder nor my stomach will allow that.

I agree, I can't do the 2 am and back up and at work by 7:30 am like I did when I student taught. I can stay up until 2 am but don't wake me until 9, please :)

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic