IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

I hope Anna and Mary aren't the oldest students in the dorms, and if they are, it isn't too weird for them. It seems so common for homeschoolers to graduate from the school o' the dining room table "early" by US standards that I worry that many of them go off to fundy colleges at 17. ABC does have a Masters of Ministry, so hopefully there will be some slightly older students around in that program.  I guess one good thing about ABC not having an on campus church is that the Maxwell ladies might meet some  off campus adult singles, or young married couples, in whatever local church they join.

PS Just searched ABC's library catalog--no publications by any of the Maxwells.

https://abc.instructure.com/courses/1407975/pages/library-catalog-search

• Upvote 12

20 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I hope Anna and Mary aren't the oldest students in the dorms, and if they are, it isn't too weird for them. It seems so common for homeschoolers to graduate from the school o' the dining room table "early" by US standards that I worry that many of them go off to fundy colleges at 17. ABC does have a Masters of Ministry, so hopefully there will be some slightly older students around in that program.  I guess one good thing about ABC not having an on campus church is that the Maxwell ladies might meet some  off campus adult singles, or young married couples, in whatever local church they join.

I think they probably fit in pretty well. They look younger than they are. Funny story. I think on the second or third day after moving into college, my roommate and I were like, “why is that girl’s mom still staying in the dorm?” We soon met her and realized she was in fact, our age. She’s now one of our closest friends and we still laugh about thinking she was someone’s mom. The funny thing is, she looked 40 at 18. But she is now 40 and still looks the exact same age as when she was 18! I look much older now than when I was 18. So I guess she gets the last laugh. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 8
  • Love 3

I remember seeing people at university open days who (I thought) looked they could be 14, and then others who looked like they were in their mid 20s. Then again I am a terrible judge of age so :pb_lol:

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I remember seeing people at university open days who (I thought) looked they could be 14, and then others who looked like they were in their mid 20s. Then again I am a terrible judge of age so :pb_lol:

Of course when I went to grad school at 23, I was one of the younger ones. I liked having much older folks in my classes. I always get along pretty well with older people. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Why would there be publications by them? That's the library catalog. Unless it's a Master's or Doctoral thesis? They wouldn't have Sarah's masterpieces even in an Elementary Ed program. LOL  And, no church does not mean "no church." They may do church in the gymnasium or somewhere. I guarantee you there is mandatory chapel held somewhere on that "campus." I would also imagine there are some enforced rules about male--female contact, but FEW colleges are as strict as Hyles-Anderson or Pensecola, even very, very Conservative ones. Most acknowledge that people go to college in part to meet a possible spouse. Even very, very Conservative Christian women often MUST work today, too. Not all are in the cult, though some might like to be.

• Upvote 8

The Crown College instagram posted pictures of a bonfire with s’mores. Guess what every female was wearing? A skirt past her knees. At a fucking bonfire. It just amazes me that there are still colleges out there like this. I figure most would have to change their dress code because teens would rather go to a Bible college that allows jeans and shorts at a bonfire and not a skirt past the knees. Think about all the fundies that used to be skirts only that now wear pants. I think the skirts only thing is dying down. 

• Upvote 15

11 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

And, no church does not mean "no church." They may do church in the gymnasium or somewhere. I guarantee you there is mandatory chapel held somewhere on that "campus." 

I respectfully disagree. This is the point I was making, per the ABC website. ABC requires its students to join local churches for Sunday services:

https://abc.edu/about-abc/faq/index.php

"One of ABC’s Core Values is the Priority of the Local Church. Therefore, ABC does not have a campus church, but students and staff attend more than 30 independent, fundamental churches in the area. Students serve in these churches and are in turn ministered to by the church congregations who help make their church a “home away from home.”"

"During the first four weeks at ABC, students visit area churches – potentially visiting up to 12 different churches. Then, students are asked to choose a church and commit to attending there for the academic year. New students will often ask other students and staff for recommendations. Email abc@abc.edu to request a list of these area churches."

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 14

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Crown College instagram posted pictures of a bonfire with s’mores. Guess what every female was wearing? A skirt past her knees. At a fucking bonfire. It just amazes me that there are still colleges out there like this. I figure most would have to change their dress code because teens would rather go to a Bible college that allows jeans and shorts at a bonfire and not a skirt past the knees. Think about all the fundies that used to be skirts only that now wear pants. I think the skirts only thing is dying down. 

Sadly there ARE kids who proclaim their LOVE of modesty and actually seek out such places. Sometimes parents are actually caught unaware! While nearly all do come from families who are that Conservative others are adolescents who may be seeking the security their own lives have lacked. Sad, but true

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I respectfully disagree. This is the point I was making, per the ABC website. ABC requires its students to join local churches for Sunday services:

"One of ABC’s Core Values is the Priority of the Local Church. Therefore, ABC does not have a campus church, but students and staff attend more than 30 independent, fundamental churches in the area. Students serve in these churches and are in turn ministered to by the church congregations who help make their church a “home away from home.”"

"During the first four weeks at ABC, students visit area churches – potentially visiting up to 12 different churches. Then, students are asked to choose a church and commit to attending there for the academic year. New students will often ask other students and staff for recommendations. Email abc@abc.edu to request a list of these area churches."

I guess their having a choice is good. But I imagine there are one or two churches that are most popular and they might feel pressure to attend the popular ones. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I don't know why she's on LinkedIn. The same reason everyone else is? She has a position listed. She interacts with people. likes posts, comments on her brother's posts. 

She is entirely private. If you are a LinkedIn member, you can find her if you're logged in and see what is public. 

Interestingly, she doesn’t have “author” listed as profession. I mean, I don’t think her books are well written, but it is the closest to a “career” she has.

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It amazes me there have ever been colleges like this. Before I started lurking in FJ, I had never even heard of a dress code or any rules about private behavior at university (and even off campus!) before. It’s such a foreign concept to me. University is secular here. Everyone is free to dress however they like, on and off campus, and live how / with whom ever they want. There are student dorms, but they are generally mixed, so it would be completely normal for boys/girls to share an apartment (usually no shared rooms here, though). And it would also be completely normal to have a boyfriend/girlfriend (or even one night stand) stay over. No such thing as a curfew, either.

A university policing students’ behavior is just unheard of here, and if you showed the student hand book of some of the colleges dubbed “not fundie, only conservative” to German university students, they would probably think it’s some kind of joke or prank, because it sounds just crazy for someone with a different cultural background.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

19 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Interestingly, she doesn’t have “author” listed as profession. I mean, I don’t think her books are well written, but it is the closest to a “career” she has.

It amazes me there have ever been colleges like this. Before I started lurking in FJ, I had never even heard of a dress code or any rules about private behavior at university (and even off campus!) before. It’s such a foreign concept to me. University is secular here. Everyone is free to dress however they like, on and off campus, and live how / with whom ever they want. There are student dorms, but they are generally mixed, so it would be completely normal for boys/girls to share an apartment (usually no shared rooms here, though). And it would also be completely normal to have a boyfriend/girlfriend (or even one night stand) stay over. No such thing as a curfew, either.

A university policing students’ behavior is just unheard of here, and if you showed the student hand book of some of the colleges dubbed “not fundie, only conservative” to German university students, they would probably think it’s some kind of joke or prank, because it sounds just crazy for someone with a different cultural background.

For non religious colleges it's the same here, with the exception of rooming situations probably being different - since here it's standard to share dorm rooms. Not required, and there are exceptions, and other set ups like suites, but mostly, 2 people per room. Floors in dorm buildings can be all girls, all boys, or mixed. But, also, it's pretty common for students to move out of dorms at least by their Jr. year and into apartments with their own living arrangements. 

Anyway, until I heard of fundie colleges, I never imagined there was a college that had such rules. I grew up with the concept that college was your first step to independence, and part of that was your own time management, decision making, priority setting, etc. 

I wonder how well equipped for the real world some of the fundie graduates are. They went from parental control to religious school control. When and where did they learn adulthood, priorities (of their own making, not following someone else's), decision making, time management, getting to bed on time because it's a bit to take an exam on an hour of sleep....all those "little" things non fundies learn as young adults, whether in college or otherwise. 

Edited by fundiefan
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

It is FULLY accredited too! Higher Learning Commission, which accredits (??) my employing college also approved this school.

I was glad to see that—but depressed to see that there’s going to be a guest speaker who espouses young earth creationism.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

The rules of conduct at ABC are about as stringent as the ones my aunt faced at a Catholic women’s college circa 1950.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Aa someone above mentioned, The girls (women actually) might be chronologically older, but their life experiences and social/emotional maturation age is likely far younger.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

If Anna and Mary are off at college, do you all think Christopher might at last feel encouraged to fulfill his dream to be an EMT?

He's been away from the Stevehovah mothership for several years now. I've always wondered why, once he was away, he didn't study to be an EMT. What was Steve going to do to him -- what could he do?

I doubt that A&M defied Steve and went off to college on their own.  If Steve didn't agree, it seems he didn't forcefully object. At this point Christopher is free to do what he wants -- unless he's afraid to.

• Upvote 8

My guess is A&M will attend whichever church Steve tells them to. Still it’s better than the insular world they seem to have lived until now. 

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

If Anna and Mary are off at college, do you all think Christopher might at last feel encouraged to fulfill his dream to be an EMT?

He's been away from the Stevehovah mothership for several years now. I've always wondered why, once he was away, he didn't study to be an EMT. What was Steve going to do to him -- what could he do?

I doubt that A&M defied Steve and went off to college on their own.  If Steve didn't agree, it seems he didn't forcefully object. At this point Christopher is free to do what he wants -- unless he's afraid to.

I don't know what the requirements are in Leavenworth, but here, he'd be too old. For the fire department EMT anyway. They don't take anyone over 35 for "cadet" training. 

There may be private companies that would take a 40 year old man in training, but I have no clue how private companies work. And I know here, they get a lot of their staff from burn out county EMT's. My brother being one of them. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I doubt Sarah readily accepted the frumpers -- she had no choice, no voice, no agency to say N.O.  To Stevehovah and Terified that's acceptance.

At that time, a lot of the other fundies were wearing frumpers as well. So it may have seemed normal to Sarah, like when a regular kid starts at a new school and notices that the other kids are all wearing a certain type of jeans or carrying a certain kind of backpack. But the Maxwells stayed with the frumpers longer than most fundie families. Christopher's branch of the family still wears them.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I HAPPILY stand corrected. 😁 But chapel....? Come on, it's a Bible College--there has to be chapel! LOL

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Hane said:

I was glad to see that—but depressed to see that there’s going to be a guest speaker who espouses young earth creationism.

But, based SOLEY on my employer, that does not mean: a) it is a required belief, b) that there will not be other opinions voiced. No matter the Statement of Faith required for students or faculty, some will dissent respectfully as much as they can without getting called out for signing a false statement. They will couch it all carefully :) Academics go where they must for experience.

• Upvote 5

Even my daughter's super heathen college had a beautiful chapel where different denominations held services every Sunday.  There were lots of churches within walking distance of campus, but no requirement to attend church - ugh.

• Upvote 7

I think my state college had a tiny chapel on the campus. I honestly think it is only used for weddings. It is a little white chapel that probably makes good instagram pics. 

• Upvote 2

They do have a chapel on campus, hosting thrice weekly services.  Sounds mandatory too. Link to recordings - 

Chapel

Three times a week, the campus body comes together to worship in song and to be challenged by the preaching of God's Word from a variety of speakers. The hour also includes prayer, testimonies, and Scripture memorization.

Edited by FrumperedCat
  • Thank You 6

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic