IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

24 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I bet you are right. To be honest, I don't care if they are there to get their Mrs. degree. They have been sheltered for so long that just living out of the house from Steve and Teri and living with others that are not all like minded has to open their eyes a little bit. I hope they are on campus for at least 2 more years, see more, meet more people, etc. 

I wonder what Sarah thinks about being the only "child" at home. It will never happen but Paul-Matthew & John-Andrew Arndt are two fundies that might be able to marry Sarah as they too have never been married (to FJ collective knowledge). I know this match has been said before but I wonder if there are really very many fundie males still single and around 40 years old. I just realized that Paul Matthew turns 41 next week. wow. And still at home. wow. 

I’m trying to imagine 2, 40 YOs , who had been living at home and not having ever made any significant, independent decisions, getting married and successfully functioning in society. I imagine that would be so difficult-

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

Are they too old to live in the dorms?  I hope they're not living with friends of their parents and that was the only way they were allowed to live away.  People like the ones that Josh Duggar is living with.  Shudder.  Now I'm scaring myself.  

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’m trying to imagine 2, 40 YOs , who had been living at home and not having ever made any significant, independent decisions, getting married and successfully functioning in society. I imagine that would be so difficult-

I had you going down a different direction in my mind before finishing the sentence. Thank you for not going where my mind went. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Yep I'm officially old they have mandatory bible study/community stuff twice a week at 10.30 pm to 11- you can't be excused but I wonder if falling asleep is punished??

• Upvote 14

5 minutes ago, byzant said:

Yep I'm officially old they have mandatory bible study/community stuff twice a week at 10.30 pm to 11- you can't be excused but I wonder if falling asleep is punished??

When I was in nursing school, and working and in school FT, I had to take some classes from 7-10 PM, in order to graduate in 4 years. IT WAS Painful, and I was young. 

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, byzant said:

I am embarrassed to admit this. But there were weekdays that I went to bed at 10:30pm in college. Especially if I had been up late the night before. Nowadays, I am often asleep at 10pm. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am embarrassed to admit this. But there were weekdays that I went to bed at 10:30pm in college. Especially if I had been up late the night before. Nowadays, I am often asleep at 10pm. 

Are you kidding, if I see 11:00 PM, I get nervous, and I’m retired. I am so NOT a night person.

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I doubt that being able to successfully function in society matters much to them.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

If Steve ever discussed the girls going to college, he'd have to answer 100 questions or more

To me this also points up the amazing lack of humility among so many of these people.  Isn't that supposed to be one of the most godly traits there is?   I'm a teacher and when I screw up the best thing to do is admit it and move on.  Kids appreciate that.  I appreciate it when my administrators admit their shortcomings.  I simply don't trust people who are so unable to be humble.  It's a major reason why the lifestyle and belief system of these so-called Christians rings false to me.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 13

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I’ll be 70 in November, and I know what you mean. I suspect Steve isn’t aging well and maybe can’t summon his former autocratic energy; a resulting power vacuum may have allowed many of the changes we have seen. 

I agree that he's not aging well, plus I suspect an element of hypochondria, but I don't think Anna and Mary would have moved away to attend college if he had a diagnosed terminal illness.

Jesse and John and possible Joseph had to have taken some certification courses at least, and that might have gotten Anna and Mary to asking why higher education was right for their brothers but not for them. Whatever it took for them to get the hell out of Dodge, er, Leavenworth, I'm glad it happened. Maybe it's even the first step toward one or both of them enrolling at a more serious university for grad school.

• Upvote 16

16 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Given the current teacher shortage and that this college is accredited, Mary and Anna could end up being qualified to teach in a public school. I doubt they would want to, but at least the opportunity is there for them.

Teaching in one of those 'government indoctrination centers' would be an education in itself.  But, maybe it would be a good thing.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe Grandma weighed in…she allowed Teri to go to college, meet and marry the wonderful Steve!

She may even be covering the tuition and expenses!

I have just two concerns about this new development:

• Looking at the photos on the FB page, it appears that female students are required to always pose for photos using Muppet Mouths unless they are supposed to be looking busy doing something. The photo of Anna and Mary and their classmate is a rare exception. Please Rufus, don't let Anna and Mary learn to do the Muppet Mouth.
  • I hope this doesn't turn Sarah into Steve and Teri's full-time personal attendant, chief cook, and cabinet polisher. She deserves some more freedom too.
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

9 hours ago, Petronella said:

It's hypocritical crap is what it is. And a refusal to take responsibility for the power they wielded over their older children and the influence they exerted over followers.

Like Candy Brauer and her skirts only life until it wasn't her skirts only life.  

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, byzant said:

That may be difficult for the girls. When the Maxes have spoken of their schedules and the rigid adherence to 5AM Bible time, they made it sound like everybody shuffles off to bed between 9-10. Getting - no, HAVING - to stay up until 11PM twice a week is probably going to be difficult. Then again, they don't have to get up at 5AM for Bible time...

...unless Steve is making them "report" to family Bible time via Facetime every day to make sure they don't get bad habits like only having Bible time once or twice a day instead of three times...

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

For every couple of true believer aspiring missionary maidens wearing a modesty tee under her shirt, there's probably another student who sneaks off for beer and making out in the woods.

Yes, and there are parents who make arrangements for their unregenerate youth to attend Bible college to try to set them "on course" for life. I knew some such students at the Christian (but not super fundie) college I attended. I was never aware of any alcohol/makeout locations at my college, but I have heard tales of such shenanigans at the Bible colleges attended by two of my siblings. If you want to find trouble, you can find it even at a school like this. Though I want the Maxgirls to branch out and make friends and not stay in their insular "Maxwells are better than the rest of you" bubble, I do hope they have the discretion to stay away from those who would participate in those activities. I would hate to see one or both of them come home with their heads hung in shame because they got kicked out for sipping beer in the woods after Sunday evening church when they didn't even know what it was.

Edited by Bethy
forgot how to spell
  • Upvote 11

9 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

They will already have good study habits so the amount of free time will be amazing, even if they have church activities to keep them busy.

Maybe they'll have campus jobs and get involved with a sports team like lots of regular college students.  Those are also great ways to meet new and different people.  I'm happy for them and hope they make the most of their experience.  

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Longer they are out of Kansas, the better.

Next thread title: Anna and Mary are not in Kansas anymore.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 26
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 8

15 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I hope Anna and Mary don't get homesick.

I think the fact that they are together and have gone on mission trips out of the country will help them to not get homesick. Plus I imagine they will come home for thanksgiving and Christmas break. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

I feel like the girls at college would have a similar feel to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Visitors from another planet, grinning and down for the adventure found in all aspects of modern life. 

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I think we also need to remember that the picture we have of the Maxwells is the carefully curated image they have created on their blog. Many years ago (like in 2010) they posted a blog post about how they celebrated Passover. At the beginning of the post they talked about how they were hesitant to post because as Christians they weren't called to celebrate this holiday (or something like this). The post was only up a few days before they removed it. It very much gave the impression of we know we can do this and not sin; but we aren't sure you can so we don't want to tell you to do this. 

I believe this is how they filter everything they post. Their goal is to "Encouraging, Exhorting, Equipping Christian Families." If they don't believe something can be done by everyone while still holding their values they won't post about it. Therefore, we don't get an accurate picture of their lives- just the parts that will "encourage" others. 

So, while it does appear that a lot of these changes are drastic; perhaps, they are not really as drastic as they seem. They have probably been doing things we haven't known about for a long time. We can also give ourselves a little credit at becoming better internet sleuths and learning about them from other sources. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Austrian Atheist said:

I wonder if Sarah has stopped blogging because she doesn’t know how to explain what’s going on. Or maybe she is sulking? I totally would understand!

I wonder, too, and I’m going with the most direct route / causes: She really doesn’t like blogging and / or is just plain tired of it; and she has concussion-related symptoms that militate against too much screen time. Heck, she surely writes the Moody tales onscreen, so. 

Who knows if Teh Fates will grant us an answer or even as glimpse of what she’s up to, now — I just hope she’s having as good a new life as A&M are! 

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Eternal (nearly) optimist that I am, I’m going to believe that the two 40-yo just-marrieds were paying a lot of attention to how decisions were made at their folks’ homes and that they settle into a nice routine a lot easier than we might expect. 
And I haven’t even been drinking beer tonight! :D 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic