IGNORED

Maxwell 49: Recipes from Those Who Can't Cook

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

The other day there was some stupidity on Martha Stewart's FB page about how Florida was the best place to retire.  My reaction was Hell, No,  but I think Iceland might be that perfect place.  Or Norway, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Vermont....

I'm right there with you! Maybe we can find a two-for-one relocation special.  We don't even have to go together, as we wouldn't know each other on sight, LOL.

I get that life in the  north in winter can be a bear - but at my stage in life, I don't have a driveway to shovel and can take semi-public transportation.  Oh, yes, coolness and cold, long nights and long days the other half of the year - I'm so there.  Florida has always meant quicksand, big bugs and alligators to me.

Back on-topic, Teri is trying her hardest to excuse herself for not getting help as a depressive young mother.  Your kids noticed, Teri.  My beloved mother had untreated "stay in bed all day, barely there when up" depression and I guarantee you, we noticed it.

It wasn't my mom's fault that she didn't get help in the 1950s and early 1960s. Teri was college-educated, had her parents nearby eventually and it was the 1970s & '80s. I don't really fault her because I understand her being in thrall to Steve.  My ex- would've treated me even more poorly if I'd been unemployed and dependent on his [sic] largesse.  But it's 2021 now. If Teri wanted to understand herself and make amends to her children, there are resources.

Unfortunately, there''s also Steve.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Teri and Steve are morons. Deanna Rise Farmstead is geared for those boys at their ages! I spent hours there with my then toddler who loved every minute

• Upvote 9

Axton and Elliot are cute little guys.  It was nice that they apparently had a nicer time than Teri believed.  

• Upvote 15

I feel like Teri doesn't know what a toddler is like/enjoys/even is (beyond a scaled down human being) because the toddler years for the reversals were "depression auto-pilot" years that she might not totally remember.

Also to the point of Ana & Mary not going to stay with John & Chelsy - maybe it's a small apartment? That's the only obstacle I can think of for two un-employed, un-wed fundie SAHD who have been seen to care for their nieces & nephews

• Upvote 19

2 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Axton and Elliot are cute little guys.  It was nice that they apparently had a nicer time than Teri believed.  Chelsy has to do some sucking up for the child care.  

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, fundieundies said:

Also to the point of Ana & Mary not going to stay with John & Chelsy - maybe it's a small apartment? That's the only obstacle I can think of for two un-employed, un-wed fundie SAHD who have been seen to care for their nieces & nephews

I'm sure it's just an extended-stay suite near the hospital. If John is trying to work and Chelsy is spending most of her time at the hospital, it would be a lot easier all around if people were taking the kids on outings, instead of trying to entertain them in the hotel. Heck the kids would probably enjoy spending a day at their own home, napping in their own beds, playing with their own toys.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 8

4 hours ago, fundieundies said:

Chelsy strikes me as the type who doesn't ask for help.  The Bontragers have a strong work ethic.  The Maxwells don't.  The Maxwell sons would have never been able to buy houses in cash if it wasn't for those conferences.  The Bontragers have real work to do between the farm and the hotel.  The two families were raised differently in that respect.  John probably asked his parents to watch the kids so he could get something done.  The older Maxwell sons picked women like their mother and sisters.  The younger three picked women who seem to be not much like their mother and sisters.  They don't seem to need the help that the older ones do.  Seems like they do more for themselves.  

Edited by theologygeek
  • Upvote 14

Maybe Terri is worried that if it sounds like the boys are having too much fun she will be asked or expected to do more of these outings. I don’t think she enjoys spending time with the grandchildren and only does when she feels she can’t get out of it.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

My first thought was that Steve and Terri just have to make EVERYTHING have an educational point.  Since toddlers have little attention span they could not grasp the lecture by gramps.. ? These 2 adults have little to no clue about NORMAL child development.  It doesn't have to have a set learning goal.. the experience in and of itself will be educational.. even if you cannot point value it. 

"Feel the goat hair.. Oh it is prickly!  Did you feel that?  Feed the goat!  Its tongue got you!   It felt funny!  It was warm and wet! Do not be scared!  I am here.. see.. let me help.."   

These adults have no idea how to interact and just enjoy.  These babies need a break from stressed parents, stressed parents need the help without being forced to beg for it.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 9

14 hours ago, fundieundies said:

I feel like Teri doesn't know what a toddler is like/enjoys/even is (beyond a scaled down human being) because the toddler years for the reversals were "depression auto-pilot" years that she might not totally remember.

Chelsea has so much more grace and kindness than her in-laws. While Teri assumes the boys did not enjoy their putting because they likely didn't demonstrate it in a way that Teri and Steve thought they should (probably comparing to how their older cousins would react) Chelsea posted a comment saying how much fun the boys had and, more importantly, that they enjoyed spending time with their Grandparents!  That is how you show grace.  Chelsea is the one who has more stress than anyone deserves right now and yet she is also the one having to reassure Teri/Steve because those two fools are so self-centered that they can't think outside of their own narrow mindset.  

Edited by Queen Of Hearts
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 11

16 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm sure it's just an extended-stay suite near the hospital. If John is trying to work and Chelsy is spending most of her time at the hospital, it would be a lot easier all around if people were taking the kids on outings, instead of trying to entertain them in the hotel. Heck the kids would probably enjoy spending a day at their own home, napping in their own beds, playing with their own toys.

I'd think at her age Sarah could manage the kids in their own home and do her "work" like any other mother would. She could take the boys to see the parents every couple of days leaving them to focus on baby and work. But no, this IS the Maxwells we are discussing.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

17 hours ago, theologygeek said:

The Maxwell sons would have never been able to buy houses in cash if it wasn't for those conferences.

I would seriously like to know how much Christopher paid for the original fathership. Of all of the sons it seems like he has the least reliable and lucrative work (lawn care depends on the weather, wedding photography depends on...weddings...and is quickly shut down by things like global pandemics) so I cannot fathom how he could have purchased a home that large at fair market value. I don't know this (and correct me if you have evidence that I'm wrong) but I have to think Steve and Teri probably cut him a break since he was helping build the new house, and them selling it to him vs. putting it on the market helped guarantee nice Christian neighbors as well as a lifetime of having a son right next door to help with whatever was needed.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 12

17 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Chelsy strikes me as the type who doesn't ask for help.  The Bontragers have a strong work ethic.  The Maxwells don't.  The Maxwell sons would have never been able to buy houses in cash if it wasn't for those conferences.  The Bontragers have real work to do between the farm and the hotel.  The two families were raised differently in that respect.  John probably asked his parents to watch the kids so he could get something done.  The older Maxwell sons picked women like their mother and sisters.  The younger three picked women who seem to be not much like their mother and sisters.  They don't seem to need the help that the older ones do.  Seems like they do more for themselves.  

Bontragers used to leave the farm during the busiest season (summer) to go touring, while some workers keep the farm working. Now, I think the older sons are in charge, but Marlin and Becky weren't the typical farmers and were very focused in travelling. Same for the hotel.

I'm not saying Bontragers are lazy. They definitely work and probably their musical tours is part of the business. But I don't see why they have more work ethic than Maxwells. Maxwells sons work and some are succesful (not Christopher, but Nathan, John and Joe seem to do it fine). Regarding Steve and Teri, during the golden years, the conferences and books were their job and before that he worked as an engineer. What I mean is that they have always earned their money, one way or another, exactly as Bontragers. Now there is a difference between them, but Steve is 70 while Marlin is 50 (?), so they cannot be compared.

It's the same for the daughters in law. I don't think some of them have more work ethic than others... It's just that there is a point they need help, and when that moment arrives, they get that help. Melanie needed help because she was in bed rest during pregnancies, Anna because the cancer and now Chelsy. The others are luckier, but I'm sure that if Elissa or Anna3 face a big problem, they will ask for help as the others.

You said the eldest sons married women similar to Maxwells and the youngest married a different style. Well, I disagree. If you read Chelsy's blog, you can see how Maxwellian she was as a single. More active, more joyful, but she wrote 3 looong posts about laundry... nothing more maxwellian than that. I think that Anna Marie is the übermaxwellian, but Chelsy is no doubt the silver medal.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

That blog post is pure Maxwell - justification for the outing, where they went and Steve’s and Teri’s reaction, with absolutely nothing about what they did at the petting zoo (“we saw goats, chickens and ducks. . 
Axton was reserved but curious as we fed the goats. . .then the boys spent time in the playground area before we had a snack. . .”). A petting zoo is a perfect outing for toddlers. I’m sure the kids had a good time and learned a lot, even if they can’t verbalize it to Steve’s and Teri’s satisfaction. 

The photo of Axton standing against Steve’s leg as the goats approach is so cute. 

Edited by postscript
Corrected Axton’s and Steve’s names.
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

23 hours ago, Bethy said:

I would seriously like to know how much Christopher paid for the original fathership. Of all of the sons it seems like he has the least reliable and lucrative work (lawn care depends on the weather, wedding photography depends on...weddings...and is quickly shut down by things like global pandemics) so I cannot fathom how he could have purchased a home that large at fair market value. I don't know this (and correct me if you have evidence that I'm wrong) but I have to think Steve and Teri probably cut him a break since he was helping build the new house, and them selling it to him vs. putting it on the market helped guarantee nice Christian neighbors as well as a lifetime of having a son right next door to help with whatever was needed.

I don't know about back when he bought the house, but Christopher does work for Joseph's company now in addition to lawn service and photography, so probably makes more than we all assume.

When Steve quit his job in corporate America he and Christopher teamed up to sell copy paper (I think? or something similar) so he might have had a pretty good amount saved to buy the house.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:03 PM, kpmom said:

I don't know about back when he bought the house, but Christopher does work for Joseph's company now in addition to lawn service and photography, so probably makes more than we all assume.

When Steve quit his job in corporate America he and Christopher teamed up to sell copy paper (I think? or something similar) so he might have had a pretty good amount saved to buy the house.

When you don't have debt you do not need a huge income. I DO admire this in these families. I can't seem to save a dime.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Thanks. I didn't know about Chris and Steve's team-up early on. At this point I consider Christopher to be successful since he works for Joe's company and Swift Otter seems to booming. I just googled it and they have a snazzy new website.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I'm sorry but all I can think of when you say "sell copy paper" is the Michael Scott Paper Company episodes on The Office. 

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Thanks. I didn't know about Chris and Steve's team-up early on. At this point I consider Christopher to be successful since he works for Joe's company and Swift Otter seems to booming. I just googled it and they have a snazzy new website.

The website does look like they're more of a big deal than I realized. I'm remembering the site from a couple of years ago when Christopher had some "jobs" that sounded sort of made-up (but maybe they're real, in the world of Magento in which admittedly I am not an expert) and not nearly as many certifications as his brothers. And Joseph has a book now? (I mean, other than the one he's on the front cover of that his parents wrote about buying a house debt-free.) Interesting. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I'm still thinking Anna and Mary are off somewhere, but watch they'll be on the blog tomorrow.

• Upvote 3

I was watching a show featuring DB Cooper. Of course it’s all still a mystery since it happened in 1971. Some of the money was found in a river bank but no body was ever found so they don’t know if he survived the jump. In my head, I started imagining Steve Maxwell is actually DB Cooper. He survived the jump and felt so guilty about it all that he decided to go full fundie. He’s been punishing himself and his family ever since. 

Of course this is all a joke since Steve was 20 in 71 and people described DB Cooper as older than that. But thinking about it is cracking me up. 

B1C3FABB-74FA-49D4-903E-BF94283BF76C.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 21

7 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm still thinking Anna and Mary are off somewhere, but watch they'll be on the blog tomorrow.

I don't blame them for keeping quiet about Anna and Mary's summer plans. If they were to post and say "The girls are going on a missions trip, we drop them off at the airport tomorrow morning, please pray for safety and for effectiveness in their ministry" people would come at them in the comments with "Don't you know there's still a pandemic going on? Why don't you care about anyone's safety?" but if they said "Due to the continuing concerns surrounding covid and travel, the girls have opted to sit out this summer as well" there would undoubtedly be readers whose response would be "Why are you living in FEAR?!"

They really are slacking on the blog, though. I mean, we haven't seen the 4th of July celebration (maybe the girls WERE gone, and showing that gathering would out them) and for all they have a preemie grandbaby in the NICU, they're only posting once a week, twice a week at most, with updates about her. Nathan's early kiddos got WAY more blog time, and that was back when they actually had stuff going on, ministry-wise, to post about.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was watching a show featuring DB Cooper. Of course it’s all still a mystery since it happened in 1971. Some of the money was found in a river bank but no body was ever found so they don’t know if he survived the jump. In my head, I started imagining Steve Maxwell is actually DB Cooper. He survived the jump and felt so guilty about it all that he decided to go full fundie. He’s been punishing himself and his family ever since. 

Of course this is all a joke since Steve was 20 in 71 and people described DB Cooper as older than that. But thinking about it is cracking me up. 

B1C3FABB-74FA-49D4-903E-BF94283BF76C.jpeg

That explains the comfortable finances too!  I'm liking this theory...

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9

7 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

That explains the comfortable finances too!  I'm liking this theory...

Ya, they only found part of the stolen money in the riverbank. He could have held into the rest of the money during the jump. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ya, they only found part of the stolen money in the riverbank. He could have held into the rest of the money during the jump. 

Fun fact - I grew up within the search area (south of Mt. St. Helens), so we were always on the lookout for D.B. or his stash.  It was such a big story for decades.  And I’d rather run into Sasquatch than Steve Maxwell! 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic