IGNORED

Maxwell 49: Recipes from Those Who Can't Cook

Coconut Flan

They used to have that— three times a week and I think they were even set to publish automatically because they would go up really, really early in the morning. Before they would get up even on insane hiking moments.  I actually feel as if it is a bit of self-awareness on their part— they don’t have content to publish that often. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, fundiewatch said:

They used to have that— three times a week and I think they were even set to publish automatically because they would go up really, really early in the morning. Before they would get up even on insane hiking moments.  I actually feel as if it is a bit of self-awareness on their part— they don’t have content to publish that often. 

Yes.  When they do post it's often about the "extended" family.  Now that all the brothers are married they are busy with their own lives so appearing on the family blog probably isn't a priority, not to mention they now have the choice to not appear on the blog.  I assume not much of interest is going on in the "immediate" family with the 3 unmarried daughters.  They have already posted about Sara, Anna, and Mary's daily schedules.  What else of possible interest do they have to post?

Edited by 0 kids n not countin
Smartphone auto correct.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

13 hours ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

It's probably because of Steve's diet. Teri is probably overdoing it because of his heart condition. Knowing Teri the doctor told Steve what he needs to cut out and chose to cut it all out completely. Plus, Teri functions on a budget with Steve's approval. If it is something that Steve doesn't like or doesn't think would taste good then it doesn't go in the pan. Teri has been looking thinner in recent posts to me. I just hope that Steve's insistence that she follow his diet doesn't endanger her health. 

I think in one blog post from a Colorado trip it was mentioned either by Sarah, Steve or Teri that they had to quit almost halfway through a hike because they (meaning Steve and Teri) couldn't handle the hike past a certain point. Now, I wonder if Steve and Teri are struggling because they are overdoing his vegan diet due to his health scare. The more they cut out the morel likely both are going to have a major scare. I just hope that the doctor catches on and convinces them to talk to a nutritionist. I really think that they are overdoing Steve's vegan diet at this point. 

If I remember right, it was Sarah who quit hiking, because she was getting altitude sickness.  I don't remember how long ago I read it, but it seemed to me that she hadn't enjoyed hiking in a while.  It must have been nice to have a valid reason to quit.  

As far as the blog silence, I'm wondering if they have some type of big news brewing that they want to keep secret?  Either that, or maybe they went off schedule and went on what some would call a vacation, early?

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It's a stupid complaint, but I'm annoyed the Maxwells haven't done a new blog post since Sunday's Independence Day post. I hope everything and everyone are okay. Assuming they're all right, I wish they would post more. I recommend the Maxwells develop a blog schedule, where they post on designated days and at designated times. 

Oh, they had a schedule, but the blog was Sarah's job. I am sure they have not yet had time in their schedule to rewrite the blog schedule  - since Sarah is limiting screen time. Which means Sarah's schedule is entirely off kilter so she is of no help to anyone until she gets that schedule readjusted.  Now that others have to do it - meaning Steve and Teri (because "the girls" have schedules that keep them jumping from morning bible time to night bible time) -  they have to fit it into their schedule and they can't do that until they redo their existing schedules. And they can't redo their existing schedule until they find time in their existing schedule - something else has to go to hell in their daily plan to open up a free 15 minutes to find 15 minutes. 

It's all about the schedule. I am sure that posting on Sunday just threw everything entirely out of whack and they're still playing catch up with their schedules. 

*They haven't posted regularly since Sarah's concussion last year. I was curious about when they stopped caring about the stupid blog so I checked post count. 

They should really just give it up. They don't care about it. No one cares about it. They no longer have a dog & pony show so they post the same crap, right on schedule, every year. Nothing happens in their world, and anything that does they don't tell anyone for fear of accountability (what? My son never had a courtship before he married the one and only girl god picked for him and now you've done it, we will never tell you anything again because we cannot keep having to explain that god didn't really dictated our lives when we are making our living telling people he does). 

It's a very convoluted, carefully orchestrated world they live in and it takes a lot of time to cultivate their online image. I can't imagine it's easy for any that aren't used to doing it to say "some did this, others did that; we went somewhere and did something; someone got married a year ago and we went to the wedding and here are some year old pictures of grass, chairs and an altar"

IMG_1735.jpg.29a7f3eec8b35f9e44684a62382454ad.jpg

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, JulineD said:

I  agree and want to add that I also dislike the words, "bless" and "blessed" so much.

I feel the same way about the expression 'blessed'.  I often feel lucky, but blessed implies (to me anyway) that I was so special I was given something.  But to me, so much of life is luck (meeting the right person, being in the right place at the right time, what country or zip code we happened to be born in, the families we get, etc.) and not the result of some invisible God making it happen. The Maxwells and I would not get along, I fear.

Another similar pet peeve:  Right after 9/11 an idiotic acquaintance sent some kind of message that said, "We're all where we're meant to be."  I was so disgusted because 9/11 had JUST HAPPENED and I responded asking if the almost 3,000 who died that day were 'just where they were meant to be'?   She never sent me any more stupid stuff.

You can imagine I'm also not a fan of 'Everything happens for a reason.'  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Do they usually go this long without posting? I'm wondering if either someone got married or caught covid!

• Upvote 4

I thought they had lightened up on the diet after Steve had to get on medicine anyway.

Hey, that Daniel diet allows salt and peppers and spices. Why don't they have any?

• Upvote 4

I naively thought Sarah stopped blogging due to the concussion and her parents are, well, too lazy to pick it up. 

• Upvote 4

They did lighten up, but mainly to have their favorite meals out. I think they stick to salads for lunch, and an apparently sad list of dinners at home. Terri did tell us that she uses Mrs. Dash for seasoning, and Steve uses a lower sodium salsa from Costco. No wonder “the girls” cook their own meals much of the time! 

I think that Sarah‘s “job” as a blogger became almost non-existent as soon as they stopped traveling. She has long collected ideas suggested in the comment section for future blogs, but she clearly isn’t using the list, or interested in doing so. It is now a blog about nothing. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

If I remember right, it was Sarah who quit hiking, because she was getting altitude sickness.  I don't remember how long ago I read it, but it seemed to me that she hadn't enjoyed hiking in a while.  It must have been nice to have a valid reason to quit.  

As far as the blog silence, I'm wondering if they have some type of big news brewing that they want to keep secret?  Either that, or maybe they went off schedule and went on what some would call a vacation, early?

Yes, Sarah quit hiking due to altitude sickness. But, I do remember Sarah remarking that Steve and Teri had started slowing down on their hikes in Colorado. It could be their age, but Steve and Teri, to me, have been looking much thinner. I do wonder after seeing the latest recipe if they are cutting too much out of their diet and it is affecting physical activities they like to do like hiking 14ers in Colorado. 

26 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

I think that Sarah‘s “job” as a blogger became almost non-existent as soon as they stopped traveling. She has long collected ideas suggested in the comment section for future blogs, but she clearly isn’t using the list, or interested in doing so. It is now a blog about nothing. 

I think it's a good sign that Sarah has been slowing down as a blogger. Many of her posts the last few years have seemed like "fillers" in between family events. I do hope the fact that she is not blogging everyday is a sign that she is getting out more and starting to have a life that Steve prevented her from. I do foresee her keeping up the blog for celebrating holidays, family events, new book announcements, etc. Just not as much in the past few years. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

Do they usually go this long without posting? I'm wondering if either someone got married or caught covid!

I was just wondering--are they just letting this blog slowly die?

It's fun to snark, but I don't won't anything  bad to have happened.

• Upvote 4

Cutting back on the 14ers is very likely a function of Steve turning 70 this year.  Things start getting harder and harder around that age for a goodly percentage of people.  I have friends who have already quit driving on the freeway and cut way back on their activities.  I'm beginning to feel it keeping up with the grandchildren.  

I have helped my daughter change out the kids' clothes since the first one came along and this is the first time I've wondered how many more times I can really help her do it.  It's a good thing the kids are getting old enough to participate usefully.  I helped them clean their rooms today and I'm close to exhausted.  I'm kid sitting and she let them play on my devices while she's shopping just so I won't have to referee and can rest.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

I feel the same way about the expression 'blessed'.  I often feel lucky, but blessed implies (to me anyway) that I was so special I was given something.  But to me, so much of life is luck (meeting the right person, being in the right place at the right time, what country or zip code we happened to be born in, the families we get, etc.) and not the result of some invisible God making it happen. The Maxwells and I would not get along, I fear. ...

You described how I feel about claiming I’m blessed.  I’m no one special, haven’t saved any lives, invented something that benefits humanity, created art that inspires others.  I’m just an ordinary person, so why would a diety bless me? I’m lucky, and I know it and try to help others who aren’t so lucky.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, freejugar said:

Hey, that Daniel diet allows salt and peppers and spices. Why don't they have any?

It allows for a small amount of oil too, so no reason Teri can't use a bit in her fake stir fry.

ETA: It's frightening for parents to see their newborn hooked up to monitors.  I pray Madeline Sue (pretty name) does well and can come home healthy.

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 7

20 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It's a stupid complaint, but I'm annoyed the Maxwells haven't done a new blog post since Sunday's Independence Day post. I hope everything and everyone are okay. Assuming they're all right, I wish they would post more. I recommend the Maxwells develop a blog schedule, where they post on designated days and at designated times. 

They used to be fairly consistent with their M/W/F posts. This past year their posts have been very sporadic. They blamed it on the fact that Sarah's concussion has limited her use of screens. I know concussions can be absolutely devastating and life changing but I'm just not buying this. I think the concussion may have been the reason at first for the lack of blog posts; however, I now wonder if Sarah got a taste of freedom from coming up with blog content every week. I think she has decided she doesn't want to blog anymore and Teri is half heartedly trying to keep the blog alive. 

I worry it will stop soon and then we won't have a window into their crazy lives. It will be like when your favorite tv show gets cancelled. 

EDITED: Just saw- 

Chelsey just did a blog post- her baby Madeline was born a few days ago at 30 weeks. She is in the NICU. 

Edited by ElizaB
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

That stir fry looks like lawn clippings.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 4

Hoping Madeline will be well.

On 7/9/2021 at 7:56 AM, kpmom said:

Between the onions , garlic and those bean burritos they eat on Sundays, I'm kind of seeing why they live such an isolated life.  It might not be by choice! Whew!

Ah - a new nickname - The Gaswells.

ETA - is that diet called the Daniel Fast because it makes you unpalatable to lions?

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 10

19 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

(snip) I think the concussion may have been the reason at first for the lack of blog posts; however, I now wonder if Sarah got a taste of freedom from coming up with blog content every week. I think she has decided she doesn't want to blog anymore and Teri is half heartedly trying to keep the blog alive.

This is my assumption as well. I think she got her first taste of freedom when they were in CO a few years ago and she genuinely couldn't do that hike one day and used it as a convenient out and has done the same thing after the concussion. Either that or she has lasting significant problems from the concussion and they've chosen to maintain her privacy about it. 

Edited by Giraffe
clarifying
  • Upvote 6

On 7/6/2021 at 12:15 AM, PennySycamore said:

@Black Aliss, I recently bought a set of two All-Clad non-stick anodized skillets from Sur La Table.  You need o treat them differently your usual non-stick:  No non-stick spray and a little oil before cooking.  My husband always wipes most of the oil out and put his eggs into a cold pan.  Naturally his eggs stick a bit. At least he usually moved the pan to the back of the cooktop. He needs to understand that a tablespoon of oil is actually good for him.   

Penny, I had an awful experience with my All Clad nonstick. Then I read reviews online. The coating started peeling off after three months! I returned and replaced with Henckels ceramic coated and they are amazing. I was totally annoyed because I have a full set of All Clad copper core and wanted it all to match (I have two uncoated copper core skillets). But I really love the ceramic coated. And they are pretty!

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

I LOVE my new ceramic coated pans.  Nothing sticks and they wash so easily.  I started with one small one to see what I thought and then bought a set.  

Madeline is being discussed in the John and Chelsy thread.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 3

Sarah posted about the baby. Another Sunday post - schedule blown for the second consecutive week; the schedule must be reeling & it will be weeks before it's anywhere near back on track enough to be rewritten. 

She also included verses she prayed & cried over the night before the birth. Isn't it great of her god to give her perfectly fitting bible verses for every situation. What did her god give John & Chelsy, the parents of the premature baby? Even her own family relatives going through trauma is about her. No mention of their god comforting or supporting the parents or baby herself. 

Steve did such a number on his offspring. 

• Upvote 8

On 7/10/2021 at 11:52 AM, mango_fandango said:

In the comments, someone says they’ve been doing the “Daniel fast”. Yep, it’s a ‘religious’ diet. List of approved and non-approved foods:

https://ultimatedanielfast.com/pdf/DanielFastFoodList.pdf

At first, I misread that as the “Daniel Fast-Food List.”

If it works for some people, more power to them, but I’m the type who, if anyone other than my doctor told me “You can never have XYZ foods again, ever,” I’d say “Wanna bet?” and load up on said foods on my next grocery run.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Sarah posted about the baby. Another Sunday post - schedule blown for the second consecutive week; the schedule must be reeling & it will be weeks before it's anywhere near back on track enough to be rewritten. 

She also included verses she prayed & cried over the night before the birth. Isn't it great of her god to give her perfectly fitting bible verses for every situation. What did her god give John & Chelsy, the parents of the premature baby? Even her own family relatives going through trauma is about her. No mention of their god comforting or supporting the parents or baby herself. 

Steve did such a number on his offspring. 

I noticed that too. Even the death of the first grandchild Susanna (I think is her name), was mourned by all the siblings. I get being sad for your brother and the loss of a niece but they act like it was their own child who passed. 

• Upvote 5

Dr Esselstyn is a Cardiologist who is really pushing plant based no oil diets.. He has written a few cook books I believe...

Esselstyn promotes a whole foods, plant-based diet, arguing it can prevent coronary disease and cardiovascular disease. The diet excludes all animal products and oils and recommends foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole wheat pasta, and especially cruciferous vegetables.

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic