IGNORED

Maxwell 49: Recipes from Those Who Can't Cook

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve honestly never thought of myself coming from a broken home. My parents divorced when I was in preschool. They had joint custody and they co-parented well. I would never call that broken. 

That’s exactly how I’d describe my own family—I divorced when my daughter was a year old, but had a good co-parenting relationship with her father. When she was in middle school, a teacher opined that a divorce by nature could never be friendly, and my daughter spoke up to disagree.

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 10

4 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Mexican food was the theme— can’t get away from those beans. 

I nominate “can’t get away from those beans” for a future thread-count title. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Dominionatrix said:

I nominate “can’t get away from those beans” for a future thread-count title. 

Petition to make beans the new vests! 😂

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

In the pictures in the surprise birthday party post, Sarah is wearing a loose shirt that appears to be a peplum style, and she looks pregnant. I'm sure she's not, but if she were anyone else, I would think that she is expecting.  Interesting clothing choice.

So I absolutely love beans... BBQ baked beans, Re-fried beans, even just dumping plain black beans on a salad. I also shudder to admit that I love a plain bean burrito and I actually think I may like to eat the ones that they make. So I always feeling like hiding my head when everyone makes fun of their bean loving-ness. But I have decided in the name of honesty to admit my love of beans and to even admit I think I would find the bean burritos tasty. 

Edited by ElizaB
typo
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

There are two older men in the photos I don't recognize.  (one in the photo with Abby speaking, one in the shot with Joe hugging Steve (and his back visible in others as he appears to have been seated next to Steve)

Anyone know who they are?

Does Steve have siblings?

Are there any in-law parents who live (or are visiting) nearby?

The venue has a distinct "church fellowship hall" look. It's probably the gym/fellowship hall of the church they're attending, so any non-Maxes in view are probably church folks.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Also, I think it's great that they finally took a picture of Steve and Teri with all of their kids, not just the unmarried ones. Fun fact that I bet has never crossed a Maxwell mind, after an ugly divorce in the extended family, my mom learned to always take at least one picture of just the immediate family (parents and kids, whether they're married or not, without spouses) at every gathering, so if there's an acrimonious divorce, there are still photos of every event that don't contain the ex.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

So I absolutely love beans... BBQ baked beans, Re-fried beans, even just dumping plain black beans on a salad. I also shudder to admit that I love a plain bean burrito and I actually think I may like to eat the ones that they make. So I always feeling like hiding my head when everyone makes fun of their bean loving-ness. But I have decided in the name of honesty to admit my love of beans and to even admit I think I would find the bean burritos tasty. 

My husband also likes beans. He’s been eating more like Steve Maxwell since the doctor told him his blood pressure is a bit high. But at least my husband loves spice and flavor. He puts plenty of spices in his rice and beans. 

• Upvote 8

TCM is showing Abbot and Costello movies today.  Buck Privates comes on at 6:15 this evening.  One of its highlights is the Who's On First routine.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Their entire lives are a cult to Steve, it's not like he needed a self aggradizing party with testimonies on his greatness.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Fellow bean-lover here. I’ve been doing the Sad and Depressing Maxhell-Style Whole Foods Vegan No Oil No Sugar Food Plan From Hell at the strong encouragement of my baby sister, who’s so meticulous about it that her doctor said she’s reversed her Type II diabetes. So far, I’m down a size in jeans but my damn blood pressure is still way too high. 

I let myself fall off the wagon one or two meals a week. You know it’s bad when a freaking hard-boiled egg or piece of grilled salmon feels decadent.

Following this food plan makes me want to kill people and things. It’s a damn good thing I live alone. (When I point this out to my sister, she says, “Eat a damn banana!”)

• Haha 1
  • Love 8

If I have to hear one more time about the Maxwells having to take months, months, to plan a party, or dinner out, or a zoo trip, I swear I'll scream.

They're all either self-employed, work for Joseph, retired, or SAHMs or SAHDs.  No one lives more than an hour away, and most of them live much closer.   C'mon, stop trying to show how busy you all are all the damn time.  We've seen the Day in the Life posts, we know you're not.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

My family held a 70th birthday party for me in June.  I still can't believe I'm older than Steve even if it's weeks.  They knew when I'd be in LA for medical treatment.  All the kids arranged to be at one daughter's house by 4:30 on that day.  That daughter bought decorations from Party City, her husband shopped and cooked hamburgers with fixings, other daughter bought three kinds of cake (not full cakes), and son and his husband brought side dishes.  We all had a blast.  I expect they arranged it in one conference call or group text.  I'd be appalled if I'd brought up such poor planners and organizers as the Maxwells.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • Love 11

That is the biggest bowlful of greens I have ever seen at a Maxwell table.

Fellow bean lover here. Bean and cheese burritos are my go-to when there isn't anything else interesting in the fridge for lunch.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

That is the biggest bowlful of greens I have ever seen at a Maxwell table.

That's the most food I've seen at a Maxwell hosted event. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Another bean lover here. I have about 10 varieties of dried beans in my pantry and just put up some chickpeas in the instant pot for veggie burgers.

Thank goodness we’re not a party family. For Mr. Sparkles’ 70th, I basically said happy birthday and then tried to be nice the whole day. And anyone who knows me also knows that if they ever threw a surprise party for me, I would murder every single one of them.

Contrary to popular belief, the Maxes DO like spicy food. So even though they cook the beans for their burritos so it looks like paste, unless their tastes have changed, I don’t think it tastes like paste as well.

https://blog.titus2.com/2006/10/07/catchin-up/

Edited by sparkles
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, sparkles said:

Contrary to popular belief, the Maxes DO like spicy food. So even though they cook the beans for their burritos so it looks like paste, unless their tastes have changed, I don’t think it tastes like paste as well.

That is a truly impressive  jalapeño harvest. Eat your hearts out, Rodriguii.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, sparkles said:

Thank goodness we’re not a party family. For Mr. Sparkles’ 70th, I basically said happy birthday and then tried to be nice the whole day. And anyone who knows me also knows that if they ever threw a surprise party for me, I would murder every single one of them.

For my 70th I had two blissful weeks of self-indulgence and no responsibilities thousands of miles from everyone I knew. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 9

My dad won’t let us throw him a 70th birthday party next year. He always takes a vacation on big birthdays so he can pretend it never happened. He did it on his 40th, 50th, 60th…. Sigh.

• Haha 9
  • Love 1

I threw myself a combination 66th birthday and retirement party at the church hall, and provided most of the food and drinks myself. I tossed out an invitation on FB and was overjoyed at the number of old and new friends and relatives who came. There were no “testimonies” to my greatness, which was fine by me.

I’m turning 69 in a few months, so I think I’ll skip commemorating that raunchy milestone.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Love 2

One of my mom's friends had a party in the church hall for his 90th birthday. (My mom is a lot younger.)

4 hours ago, kpmom said:

If I have to hear one more time about the Maxwells having to take months, months, to plan a party, or dinner out, or a zoo trip, I swear I'll scream.

They're all either self-employed, work for Joseph, retired, or SAHMs or SAHDs.  No one lives more than an hour away, and most of them live much closer.   C'mon, stop trying to show how busy you all are all the damn time.  We've seen the Day in the Life posts, we know you're not.

I'd agree with you normally. However this party took a little bit more effort than usual. They had to rent the church hall probably in advance in case there was a wedding or something. They also invited non-Maxwells as the pictures show. They seem to mostly show pictures of Maxwells, but it's clear there are non-Maxwells there. It's possible the guests don't want to be featured too much on the blog.

Also the sons sometimes travel to see their in-laws, and of course they may have more of life that is not shared on the blog. I certainly hope 3nna has found stuff to do.  

• Upvote 4

On 8/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, church_of_dog said:

There are two older men in the photos I don't recognize.  (one in the photo with Abby speaking, one in the shot with Joe hugging Steve (and his back visible in others as he appears to have been seated next to Steve)

Anyone know who they are?

Does Steve have siblings?

Are there any in-law parents who live (or are visiting) nearby?

No idea who the men are. Steve has 2 sisters. If they were there, I didn't see them. Melanie's parents live nearby, but I've long thought they don't get along with Steve. Just a feeling. 

My parents divorced when I was about 2. My dad kidnapped me for a bit (long story), but I have no memory of it. The few memories I have of that period are negative, but they are so vague I thought they were dreams until my mom confirmed the were real when I was an adult. 

Honestly, I never saw my parents apart as anything but normal since that was how it always was. My dad's family made more of a big deal about it than I ever felt about. 

• Love 9

16 hours ago, sparkles said:

Another bean lover here. I have about 10 varieties of dried beans in my pantry and just put up some chickpeas in the instant pot for veggie burgers.

I clicked the link which led to another link for a "marriage retreat". At the time, they had seven unmarried spawn. 

https://blog.titus2.com/2006/11/14/as-arrows/

15 years later, they still have three unmarried spawn. 

I have to wonder if any of the girls wonder WTF they got "thrilled" about and why they could take ownership of a marriage retreat for married people when they will never be able to attend a marriage retreat - - since you have to be married to attend them. Kids can apparently host, but married people attend.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic