IGNORED

Maxwell 49: Recipes from Those Who Can't Cook

Coconut Flan

Add me to the bean loving people.  We eat a lot of beans. Most of the time I use lots of spices and flavourings, but on occasion I'll just mash up some beans and add a scoop of butter and pinch of salt and eat them that way - it feels like comfort food to me. 

One thing I've found makes a big difference: an instapot. Freshly made beans are so much nicer than canned and there is none of the planning needed when I had to soak beans to cook them. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

Looking at these latest Maxwell posts, I sure hope and pray that all of the eligible adults in this family have had their Covid vaccines and that they wear masks when they go out. Gigi, Anna Marie, and even Steve are medically at-risk. The kids (except Abby) are too young to take the vaccine. John has a baby in the NICU. They are in a state that is next door to one of the hardest hit states in the country, plus they belong to a subculture that is full of Covid deniers and anti-vaxxers. Sure, I snark on the Maxwells just like everybody else. But I don't want any of them getting Covid.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

45 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Looking at these latest Maxwell posts, I sure hope and pray that all of the eligible adults in this family have had their Covid vaccines and that they wear masks when they go out. Gigi, Anna Marie, and even Steve are medically at-risk. The kids (except Abby) are too young to take the vaccine. John has a baby in the NICU. They are in a state that is next door to one of the hardest hit states in the country, plus they belong to a subculture that is full of Covid deniers and anti-vaxxers. Sure, I snark on the Maxwells just like everybody else. But I don't want any of them getting Covid.

Agreed. But they're not likely to tell us. Their constituency is so fraught with anti-vaxxers that they'll probably just keep mum on the subject to avoid criticism from either side. They did say Gigi had the vaccine at some point recently, and I have to think Anna Marie's medical team would have strongly encouraged her to do so as well. As for Steve and Teri...I could see them concluding that they can best boost their immune system with diet the way they've tried to treat everything else.

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, browngrl said:

Add me to the bean loving people.  We eat a lot of beans. Most of the time I use lots of spices and flavourings, but on occasion I'll just mash up some beans and add a scoop of butter and pinch of salt and eat them that way - it feels like comfort food to me. 

One thing I've found makes a big difference: an instapot. Freshly made beans are so much nicer than canned and there is none of the planning needed when I had to soak beans to cook them. 

Before the beans even have a chance to cool in the Instant Pot, I've usually ladled out a big bowlful and their broth to eat right on the spot. Now I want beans. . .

• Upvote 2

On the GiGi post: what kind of person really needs the Maxwells to suggest the concepts of grandmas doing puzzles with grandkids, listening to their reading aloud, and helping them studying?  (I don't want to even get started on flag time, American patriotism is weird.)

Moving on to Steve, I can't imagine his 'very special' 70th party was any more special than any other 70th party :P

Teri also wrote that Steve was formerly "a selfish, worldly, young man".  Some people improve with age, but Steve's merely become terrified of being worldly.

• Upvote 12

On 8/7/2021 at 10:15 PM, Hane said:

I threw myself a combination 66th birthday and retirement party at the church hall, and provided most of the food and drinks myself. I tossed out an invitation on FB and was overjoyed at the number of old and new friends and relatives who came. There were no “testimonies” to my greatness, which was fine by me.

I’m turning 69 in a few months, so I think I’ll skip commemorating that raunchy milestone.

You mean you didn't take months to plan it??  How is that possible?? 😄

• Haha 12

2 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

On the GiGi post: what kind of person really needs the Maxwells to suggest the concepts of grandmas doing puzzles with grandkids, listening to their reading aloud, and helping them studying?  (I don't want to even get started on flag time, American patriotism is weird.)

Moving on to Steve, I can't imagine his 'very special' 70th party was any more special than any other 70th party :P

Teri also wrote that Steve was formerly "a selfish, worldly, young man".  Some people improve with age, but Steve's merely become terrified of being worldly.

Yeah, now he's a selfish old man who thinks he's his god's best & favorite creation. 

Not sure where the growth is. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

On 8/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, ElizaB said:

So I absolutely love beans... BBQ baked beans, Re-fried beans, even just dumping plain black beans on a salad. I also shudder to admit that I love a plain bean burrito and I actually think I may like to eat the ones that they make. So I always feeling like hiding my head when everyone makes fun of their bean loving-ness. But I have decided in the name of honesty to admit my love of beans and to even admit I think I would find the bean burritos tasty. 

Hi, I’m MamaJunebug snd I, too, am a beanaholic. 

…Beanhead?

…Legumaddict??

Beanaddict! Like Benedict (Cumberbatch)!

21 hours ago, browngrl said:

Oo - can you elaborate a little? I have a quite a collection (to my Shame) of dried beans I’ve dithered about preparing. Part of that has been I decision about how to cook ‘em up after all this time—!!

On 8/7/2021 at 2:52 PM, ElizaB said:

So I absolutely love beans... BBQ baked beans, Re-fried beans, even just dumping plain black beans on a salad. I also shudder to admit that I love a plain bean burrito and I actually think I may like to eat the ones that they make. So I always feeling like hiding my head when everyone makes fun of their bean loving-ness. But I have decided in the name of honesty to admit my love of beans and to even admit I think I would find the bean burritos tasty. 

I used to love plain black beans on a salad. Unfortunately, several years ago while going through a very difficult time (both personally and professionally) I was eating salads with beans as the protein every day, and to this day when I put beans on a salad, I honestly taste despair.

As to the Maxburritos - I've made them, and I'm no burrito snob so maybe they're awful and I just don't know it, but I thought they were okay. I froze mine in 1/4-cup portions which was super handy for nights when my husband would call and say "Not going to make it home in time for dinner, go ahead and eat without me" and I could grab a couple of burrito pellets, nuke them, and toss them on tortillas with whatever fresh veggies I had in the house. I'm sure the Maxwells themselves would have been horrified at that whole situation - I, a college-educated, childless (at the time) woman, coming home from the evil workplace to prepare a microwaved dinner of THEIR SPECIAL BURRITOS to eat in the absence of my husband whose job didn't adhere to The Schedule. Tsk tsk tsk.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Oo - can you elaborate a little?

The instapot makes it ridiculously easy to cook beans. I pick over and rinse my beans as usual, dump them in the pot with enough water to cover and press a button and voila - approximately 1/2 hour later the beans are done to perfection. Sometimes I get fancy and add a bay leaf or some peppercorns or broth but I usually don't bother. I love it because beans have become a spontaneous meal choice now. 

I have also started to buy "artisanal" dried beans and to grow my own (we're eating home grown pinto beans for our bean burritos tomorrow)because I have gone totally off my bean (LOL I'll let myself out now).

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Oo - can you elaborate a little? I have a quite a collection (to my Shame) of dried beans I’ve dithered about preparing. Part of that has been I decision about how to cook ‘em up after all this time—!!

Oh yes. Get an Instant Pot. As for recipes, just "google it"!!!

But seriously, my favorite of all time is the Camellia black bean recipe: https://www.camelliabrand.com/recipes/instant-pot-black-beans/ They come out just like the canned kind in consistency, but obviously with way less sodium, not stored in BPA-lined cans, etc. I don't have a go-to kidney bean recipe because I don't really love kidney beans, but I'm sure there are lots online. I love that dried beans in the Instant Pot don't blow up the way they did when I cooked them on the stove - my stove top kidney beans always looked like some kind of crime scene, never the nice smooth cooked beans that would come out of a can.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bethy said:

when I put beans on a salad, I honestly taste despair

I'm the same way with any jello products. When I graduated I had a big debt (made worse because  interest rates were double digit back then) and my budget was just enough to cover rent/utilities. Food was an extra. So I'd eat what I could glean from the hospital. Most patients did not eat their jello and those little packages of jello would  just be thrown in the garbage so I ate them. I'd have days when my whole diet was jello and coffee. Thank goodness for the nurses who noticed this and would help my by doing this: when ever a patient was put made no food  by mouth (to prep for some surgery or test) they'd switch the order to food services to "full diet" and give me the tray of food. I suspect it was because I was really pathetic but I was deeply grateful nonetheless. However, I can no longer even look at jello or really any gelatine based foods.

• Love 15

I'm glad I am not the only bean lover here- it is comforting to know I am not alone! Once in Mexico I got a burrito at a small shop- this was a very off the beaten path/not a touristy place at all. It was just a homemade tortilla and beans- that is it. And it was the most delicious burrito I have even had in my entire life. I think a good homemade tortilla does that; and as I said I love beans. 

• Upvote 7

I love any and all beans; garbanzos are my favorite.  After reading the above posts, I'm now seriously considering getting an Instant Pot solely to cook beans.  😄

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Yeah, now he's a selfish old man who thinks he's his god's best & favorite creation. 

Not sure where the growth is. 

Agree!  He developed his believes makes his kids & grandkids follow them & refuses to see another side of anything. 

• Upvote 3

Bean lover too! Crock-pot sort-a Mexican beans--my recipe "perfected" after starting with some random one on Pinterest. Can't get enough of any kind. I have Cannellini bean salad for lunch today.

• Upvote 4

This is kind of rude, Nelia mentioned it was her mom's 74th birthday and no best wishes but RebeccaK dad got one

Screenshot_20210810-123737_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210810-124828_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SPHASH

On 8/9/2021 at 9:43 AM, browngrl said:

I have also started to buy "artisanal" dried beans and to grow my own

I need to put in a plug here for scarlet runner beans, aka ayocotes. Just plant them and water them, sit back and watch the hummingbirds go nuts over the flowers, and in the fall harvest the leathery pods and shell them for the best dried beans ever. They are large and striking--black with pink marbling and they cook up creamy inside while still holding their shape.

Some people like to eat them as green beans but I'm not a fan; the flavor is fine but the texture of the pod is scratchy and IMO there are better beans to eat fresh.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

scarlet runner beans

in my shopping cart now! I literally just this morning said to my husband that we should consider something for the humming birds (we already have regular bird feeders) and this will help me and the humming birds Thanks

• Upvote 2

Does anyone know what Rebecca K's good news is (Teri mentioned)?

• Upvote 2

I’m glad Terri responded warmly to Rebecca K. Poor thing has been through a lot and started with a limited share in life, in general. She doesn’t update her blog much if ever anymore— it could be her getting her driver’s license. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

Does anyone know what Rebecca K's good news is (Teri mentioned)?

That's what I want to know. The fact that they ignore some comments isn't new; they are very particular about who they associate with, even out of the comments they allow on the blog. they're do it regularly; respond to some while very clearly ignoring others. 

But, I really want to know what Rebecca!!!!!!!!!!'s good news is. I looked up her blog & nothing has been posted since November.

• Upvote 8

I did my best google and found nothing. I didn’t know that she did some acting and writing with a local theater in Missouri— that makes me so happy for her. Who knows her dad could remarry, or a courtship for her or Annah… I have a real soft spot for Rebecca. (I also can’t get enough of Cathy Jo but she’s rarely around anymore.)

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic