IGNORED

Maxwell 49: Recipes from Those Who Can't Cook

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Bethy said:

New post about Gigi's involvement in the daily lives of the great-grands. Apparently the ABC girls are allowed to wear pants for regular days, not just athletic activities and mulch "parties."

So, Gigi is a part of their extended family & some from around the compound help her when & where they can & make schedules with her & she invests in the great grands; now that the grands are adults, they don't need her to invest in them anymore. They're done; get outta' here. 

Got it. Never would have guessed it.

My only question is, who goes to Gigi's and takes down the flag at sunset & where & how do they store it over night? 

• Upvote 10

Darn it.  When I saw the post, "A Great Grandma Invests" I thought GiGi was going to give us some stock tips.

Lordy, they do dearly love the word "invests", don't they?

Can't a grandma just enjoy her time with the grands and great grands?

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 5

52 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Can't a grandma just enjoy her time with the grands and great grands?

Because 'enjoy' is too much like f*n and we all know that's not allowed. Everything needs to be hard work.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5

The Gigi post got me thinking of Joe's move away from the compound. They really did sacrifice a lot in terms of help. Living by the compound you get to send your kids over to Aunties playtime once a week, Teri usually comes over and reads once a week, and now it seems that you can send your kids over to Gigi once a week for history or reading. When you have so many kids you are trying to homeschool all of those things must be really helpful. 

Obviously this "help" comes with a lot of other things; however, I think it just shows how much Joe really must have wanted to get out of there. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 2

What I got out of that is that Melanie is a very organized person and her children seem to have a very structured homeschool. Organizing kids together every morning to do flag at 9am is not nothing -- shoutout to all you parents getting kids out the door to school every morning -- and if Christina is going for walks with Gigi frequently, or the ABC girls are doing history and Bible Bee with Gigi, there's some planning and preparation happening in Melanie's SODRT.

Hopefully this indicates that her kids are actually getting some sort of education, unlike Teri's ultra strict scheduling that seems to have been a coping strategy for depression.

• Upvote 9
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

What I got out of that is that Melanie is a very organized person and her children seem to have a very structured homeschool. Organizing kids together every morning to do flag at 9am is not nothing -- shoutout to all you parents getting kids out the door to school every morning -- and if Christina is going for walks with Gigi frequently, or the ABC girls are doing history and Bible Bee with Gigi, there's some planning and preparation happening in Melanie's SODRT.

Hopefully this indicates that her kids are actually getting some sort of education, unlike Teri's ultra strict scheduling that seems to have been a coping strategy for depression.

They are using Abeka. 

Their "history" says their god used the Trail of Tears to bring "Indians" to Christ. So, it was a good thing. 

And they say this about slavery - and so much else. 

https://www.alicegreczyn.com/blog/christianitys-role-in-american-racism

Melanie is not giving her children a good education. She is indoctrinating them into racist Christianity with no basis in fact & self worship for being on the winning end - Christianity. 

And remember, Christopher's spawn showed up on Thanksgiving dressed like "Indians". 

These people are not educating their offspring. They are indoctrinating them.

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, fundiefan said:

My only question is, who goes to Gigi's and takes down the flag at sunset & where & how do they store it over night? 

If it’s illuminated overnight it needs not be taken down. Surely Steve The Allknowing has installed solar-powered uplights? 

Also, if my grandma or my grandma inlaw were still with us, I’d go to them regularly for conversation, reality checks and a sense of perspective.  

Grand-Maxwellettes in capris !!! I came here to glory in their slow moves towards normal life  

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, ElizaB said:

Obviously this "help" comes with a lot of other things; however, I think it just shows how much Joe really must have wanted to get out of there. 

Jesse too

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

If it’s illuminated overnight it needs not be taken down. Surely Steve The Allknowing has installed solar-powered uplights? 

Also, if my grandma or my grandma inlaw were still with us, I’d go to them regularly for conversation, reality checks and a sense of perspective.  

Grand-Maxwellettes in capris !!! I came here to glory in their slow moves towards normal life  

Yeah. But, the girls go every morning to raise it. So, if they need to raise it every morning, it was brought down, not left up & illuminated. 

If my grandmother were still with us I would be by her probably every day. She was my person. When she died, there were five great grandchildren. Only one old enough to have any memories of her. But every one of them, and those that came after, know everything about her and how much she loved. My youngest niece, who was 2 when my grandma died, plans to give her first daughter (if she has one) my grandma's name as a middle name. 

I don't think grandma, or anyone, would use the world "invest" to describe her relationships with everyone. For that, I am eternally grateful. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 8

@fundiefan, I had missed that the girls raise & lower the flag every day.  Good for them! That  was one of my favorite things after I got to Grade 5, and we all rotated the responsibility of lowering it at the end of the school day.  Folding it just right really resounded with my affection for precision!

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

My youngest niece, who was 2 when my grandma died, plans to give her first daughter (if she has one) my grandma's name as a middle name. 

Too long a story to tell, but I did this with one of the JrJBs.  And it turned out that her first name was my own grandmother's baptismal name that she never used! 

It's such a good thing to reflect on the grandmas.  My oldest Jr I named for a distant ancestor and found out that it was the middle name of the aunt who was my godmother.  Anyhoodles......

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

@fundiefan, I had missed that the girls raise & lower the flag every day.  Good for them! That  was one of my favorite things after I got to Grade 5, and we all rotated the responsibility of lowering it at the end of the school day.  Folding it just right really resounded with my affection for precision!

They raise it every morning. My question is- who lowers it? They don't say, but someone does if the girls show up every day & raise it. 

I feel like we're in a who's on first skit. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

They raise it every morning. My question is- who lowers it? They don't say, but someone does if the girls show up every day & raise it. 

The lowering Intrigues me,  because of the folding. Yum yum!  The raising? Pfft.  :D 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ElizaB said:

The Gigi post got me thinking of Joe's move away from the compound. They really did sacrifice a lot in terms of help. Living by the compound you get to send your kids over to Aunties playtime once a week, Teri usually comes over and reads once a week, and now it seems that you can send your kids over to Gigi once a week for history or reading. When you have so many kids you are trying to homeschool all of those things must be really helpful. 

Crazy idea, I know, but maybe Joe and his wife are planning to only have a few kids so that they live their own dreams as well.  That would be true Maxwell progress.

Also, all the grandma talk has me daydreaming about that possibility some day of being one.  My daughter is only in her early 20's with her first serious boyfriend and in the process of finding her first professional job.  I want her to achieve all that she can before getting married or starting a family.  I'm not THATt mother who ever asks, and I never will.  I just like to daydream because it looks like a blast to have grandchildren :)

Edited by Caroline
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, ElizaB said:

First of all I think Aunties playtime is more than once a week. 

Second of all, I don't like the fact that the daughters-in-law seem to rely heavily on their single daughters' help. It's one thing when Madeline is in the NICU or Anna Marie had cancer, but to rely on them all the time is not good. Anna and Mary are still supposed to be obedient to Steve and don't really have a choice in what they do with their lives. It's certainly not a free choice of theirs to help with the kids.

And finally Joe lives close enough, he can go home when he wants to. He lives close enough they come to help if he needs it. It is a big deal that he left the neighborhood, but it's not like they can't get help when they need it

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

And now the classic line from the skit is no longer merely a line...

C3C22EB3-9677-4F77-9905-35AAFF897E32.jpeg.ad7a40c6144670cd19198ff43f83baeb.jpeg

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 11

Surprise 70th birthday party for Steve— and held away from the compound! It looks like it featured time for everyone to let him know how much they worship him. Mexican food was the theme— can’t get away from those beans. 

• Upvote 7

There are two older men in the photos I don't recognize.  (one in the photo with Abby speaking, one in the shot with Joe hugging Steve (and his back visible in others as he appears to have been seated next to Steve)

Anyone know who they are?

Does Steve have siblings?

Are there any in-law parents who live (or are visiting) nearby?

• Upvote 5

The Steve-a-ganza post made me 🙄. Oh, how very busy they must be to have to struggle to coordinate a date where everyone could be present! /sarcasm

And I want to spit nails every time someone maunders on about his having come from a “broken home” and finding “Christianity” on his own. Yes, his parents divorced and remarried, and he chose to take his stepfather’s surname—but by all normal accounts (his parents’ obituaries) they were engaged and active members of their church. This fact pissed me off so much that I submitted a comment about honoring one’s father and mother and not bearing false witness. As you can imagine, it never saw the light of day.

• Upvote 25
  • Thank You 2

12 minutes ago, Hane said:

The Steve-a-ganza post made me 🙄. Oh, how very busy they must be to have to struggle to coordinate a date where everyone could be present! /sarcasm

And I want to spit nails every time someone maunders on about his having come from a “broken home” and finding “Christianity” on his own. Yes, his parents divorced and remarried, and he chose to take his stepfather’s surname—but by all normal accounts (his parents’ obituaries) they were engaged and active members of their church. This fact pissed me off so much that I submitted a comment about honoring one’s father and mother and not bearing false witness. As you can imagine, it never saw the light of day.

I despise the phrase "broken home" in its entirety.

The way they use it is even more disturbing than I normally find it to be. They are so f*cking judgmental I want to smack them. 

I dare say the fathership is more broken & dysfunctional than your average family. Steve's issues ruled their very existence and that is selfish & dangerous. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 10

10 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I dare say the fathership is more broken & dysfunctional than your average family. Steve's issues ruled their very existence and that is selfish & dangerous. 

I have to agree with you. 

• Upvote 9

15 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

The way they use it is even more disturbing than I normally find it to be. They are so f*cking judgmental I want to smack them. 

I’ve honestly never thought of myself coming from a broken home. My parents divorced when I was in preschool. They had joint custody and they co-parented well. I would never call that broken. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

31 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

There was one time I thought the use of the phrase was amusing.  In the book I Should Have Seen It Coming When The Rabbit Died by Theresa Bloomingdale, she mentioned a neighbor filling out paperwork for the new school year.  One line read “Describe the condition of your home:  Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor, Broken.”  The neighbor said, “I always check Broken.”

Theresa asked, “But why?” knowing that she was happily married with many children(it was a parochial school in a heavily Catholic neighborhood).

“Because everything is.  The lawn mower’s broken, the back door is broken, the bikes are broken…”

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

• Coconut Flan locked this topic