IGNORED

US House Of Representatives 3: The Dems Govern While The GQPers Genuflect To The Former Guy

GreyhoundFan

Hey, Madison - I'm pretty sure we haven't known the testosterone levels of men during "all of history."

• I Agree 6

10 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Cawthorn is deplorable:

Kraken, Godzilla, monsters. What is it with this Republican obsession with imaginary, evil beings who are out to eat human beings? 

• Upvote 9

Another shady R: "Federal grand jury indicts Rep. Jeff Fortenberry on charges of lying to investigators about campaign contribution"

A federal grand jury has indicted Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (R-Neb.) on charges of lying to federal investigators about his campaign contributions.

The congressman, who was elected in 2004, said in a video released Monday evening that he anticipated the indictment. His wife, Celeste, in a letter to supporters before the indictment was announced, labeled it a “false accusation.”

The federal grand jury charged him with one count of scheming to falsify and conceal material facts and two counts of making false statements to federal investigators looking into illegal contributions to his 2016 campaign, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California.

Under House Republican rules, Fortenberry will have to step down as the top Republican on the appropriations subcommittee on agriculture while the charges are pending. Aides to House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Fortenberry’s committee assignments.

Fortenberry, 60, served on the Lincoln City Council for four years before winning an open House seat in 2004 on a conservative record of opposition to abortion rights and same-sex marriage. He has easily won reelection in the Republican-leaning district. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

The charges center on a $30,200 donation made by Gilbert Chagoury, a wealthy Nigerian business executive of Lebanese descent, in January 2016 “using other individuals as conduits,” according to the indictment.

“As a foreign national, Chagoury was prohibited from making donations and contributions directly or indirectly in support of any candidate for federal elected office in the United States,” the indictment states.

An individual who helped funnel the donation to Fortenberry’s campaign account through others began cooperating with law enforcement in September 2016. The individual told Fortenberry during a June 2018 phone call that the donation “probably did come from Gilbert Chagoury because he was so grateful for your support [for] the cause,” the indictment states.

Fortenberry did not file an amended FEC report. He went on to ask the individual to host another fundraiser for him, and later, in 2019, the congressman “knowingly and willfully made materially false statements and representations to the FBI and IRS” regarding the donation, according to the indictment.

In the video released Monday night, Fortenberry said he “didn’t know anything about” the illegal foreign donation. He described his conversations with FBI agents when they knocked on his door “about two and a half years ago.”

“I told them what I knew and what I understood,” Fortenberry said in the video. “They’ve accused me of lying to them and are charging me with this. We’re shocked. We’re stunned. I feel so personally betrayed. We thought we were trying to help. And so now, we will have to fight.”

Celeste Fortenberry said her husband is known for his honesty and integrity.

“His enemies try to accuse him of many things, but never lying. His opponents may not agree with him, but they know they can trust him,” she wrote. “Let me say it again: this accusation is entirely false. Jeff did not lie to the FBI. This has all the marks of being a political attack, a bogus charge manufactured to take him out.”

Most recently, former representatives Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) and Duncan D. Hunter (R-Calif.) were indicted while in office and forced to resign. The two, who were early and avid supporters of former president Donald Trump, both won pardons from Trump in the closing weeks of his administration, in December 2020.

Hunter, who prosecutors alleged used hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds to pay for family vacations and theater tickets and even to facilitate extramarital affairs, had been facing an 11-month federal prison sentence. He pleaded guilty in 2019 to misusing campaign funds. Hunter notably won reelection while under indictment, only to later admit wrongdoing and resign.

Collins had been serving a 26-month sentence for an insider-trading scheme and lying to the FBI. He had pleaded guilty in the case.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

Typical Gym crap:

• Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 2

On 10/19/2021 at 2:57 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

Cawthorn is deplorable:

Ah, yes, that awful trend of raising your child to be a kind, considerate, respectful human being regardless of sex, that's what's really destroying America today...

• Upvote 9

Is this Massie's way of trying to get on the short list for VP? :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 6

I'm not familiar with Rep. Torres, but I like what she says here:

• Upvote 7

Another great Katie smackdown!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

Her staff is challenging her for dumbest people around. "Rep. Lauren Boebert’s Campaign Gets The State She Represents Wrong"

The campaign of Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) mistakenly identified her as a representative of Utah in a report submitted to the Federal Election Commission on Thursday.

“Thanks for reaching out,” a spokesperson for Boebert, Jake Settle, said in response to an inquiry about the Forbes article that first reported on the filing. “I flagged this for our team!”

An earlier version of the report for the campaign’s third quarter of 2021, filed Oct. 15, listed Boebert’s state as Colorado. A revised version was filed Thursday and changed the state and congressional district from Colorado 03 to Utah 03, among other amendments. Following Forbes’ report, the filing was edited again on Friday to say Colorado.

Since her election to the House of Representatives last year, Boebert, a gun-rights advocate and Donald Trump disciple, has routinely made headlines for spreading conspiracy theories, vaccine skepticism and bigotry, and for her tendency to self-own, usually when attacking others.

She was named in a Rolling Stone report last week as one of multiple Republican members of Congress who communicated with organizers of the Jan. 6 attack in the weeks before the U.S. Capitol was stormed by a pro-Trump mob seeking to overturn the 2020 election. Boebert has denied any involvement.

Twitter critics did not let the error slide.

image.png.815b3fd9c967f72fe2bac0b823d60fbb.png

image.png.e65cb203740d8bbd28c85643f9a29607.png

image.png.7bd7494e5cfede6e55b0b8102ed034b8.png

I guess they had a one in 50 chance of getting it right.

• Haha 10

40 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

:doh:

And her child is probably better off for not having mom during maternity leave.

Lauren, Pete is a better parent than you will ever be. I know that circumstances can make it very difficult to impossible to take much leave but the idea that Pete is really connecting with the babies and his partner and wanting to make sure that he's a good dad in a strong family makes me respect him even more.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 9

16 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Gohmert is an idiot:

This is what you get for not having even bare minimum educational standards when running for office.

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

It sounds to me like the goal of the dominionists is to put America back into the dark ages. Since they want everyone to homeschool I don't see strong schooling in math and science so that would completely push the medical profession back since doctors aren't getting educated and researchers aren't being educated either.

I hope these dominionists are also willing to give up motorized transportation, since engineers won't be educated to innovate or even work on cars. I also hope that they're happy to give up all technology since once again we won't have the engine years too improve or even build computers, TVs, and cell phones.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 11

On 11/5/2021 at 10:15 AM, Audrey2 said:

It sounds to me like the goal of the dominionists is to put America back into the dark ages.

There goal is to get into and stay in power at the top of the tree. So independent thinking is strongly discouraged, dogma and controlling the narrative very important. Most of these homeschooled Christians aren't "destined" to be elite - they'll be useful grunts to overthrow the government and maintain the theocracy. The elite's children will likely get a much better education, although still along narrow theological lines.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

• Upvote 6

They really are a bunch of entitled bullies aren't they. Also I am amused by the simultaneous whinging about 'cancel culture' and threats to primary someone they disagree with. I would hope they grow the hell up and start acting like responsible mature adults in a position of power but the odds for that don't look good.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

On 11/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, Cartmann99 said:

Nice try, dear. But it’s painfully obvious you’re just a wannabe AOC who falls woefully short of the mark. You’ve neither the smarts nor the sophistication to even hold a candle to her. 

• Upvote 7

I feel for the sane Louisianans in this man's district. :pb_sad:

• Eyeroll 10

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic