IGNORED

US House Of Representatives 3: The Dems Govern While The GQPers Genuflect To The Former Guy

GreyhoundFan

I disagree with McCarthy about the biggest threats to our nation. 

Hints one of the biggest threats rhymes with "thump," another is often compared to a slow moving reptile and the third is one of the U.S.'s political parties that starts with an "R".

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

When you're such a mound of horse manure that even your own siblings think you are a traitor and should be expelled from Congress.

Two of Gosar’s nine siblings told NBC News they want their congressman brother removed from the Capitol immediately—and are shocked it hasn’t been done already. 

Dave Gosar, a Wyoming attorney who has been the most outspoken of Gosar’s siblings, said he considers his estranged brother a “traitor to this country” who has “disgraced and dishonored himself.”

He argued lawmakers have the power to expel his brother (“no matter what they tell you”) but haven’t done so because of a lack of political will.

Meanwhile, Jennifer Gosar, the congressman’s youngest sister, told NBC News she’s “shocked” Gosar has not been censured or expelled from Congress already. 

• Upvote 8

Because the GQP could also be called the GCP (Grand Confederate Party):

image.png.12bd93bae165ded0d3d6677925356bdf.png

• WTF 4
  • Thank You 1

Kevin McCarthy has chosen bigotry over truth. And the GOP is following his lead

On the final day of June, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy gave us an extraordinary display of what he and the Republican Party have become.

In McCarthy’s GOP, the attack on democracy is memory-holed, while a Fox News conspiracy theory is hyped.

On the same day that McCarthy voted against a committee to investigate the Jan. 6 insurrection, he demanded an investigation into Fox News host Tucker Carlson’s paranoid and baseless charge that the National Security Agency was reading his emails.

And even as he continued to stand by a member of his caucus who was openly associating with neo-Nazis and Holocaust deniers, the GOP leader threatened to strip any Republicans of committee assignments if they accepted an appointment to the select committee.

His priorities could not have been clearer.

In McCarthy’s GOP, the attack on democracy is memory-holed, while a Fox News conspiracy theory is hyped. Bigots are tolerated, while truth-tellers are purged and bullied.

As it turned out, his attempt to intimidate Republicans who might cooperate with the probe backfired. After House Speaker Nancy Pelosi named Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., to the committee, Cheney brushed aside McCarthy’s attempt at political blackmail. "It’s very clear to me, as I’ve said, my oath and my duty is above partisanship,” she said, “and I expect Leader McCarthy to have the same view.”

• Upvote 7

"Nancy Pelosi has backed Kevin McCarthy into a corner"

As the Jan. 6 select committee gears up, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy faces a thorny dilemma. Treating the effort to violently overthrow the U.S. constitutional order as an extremely weighty matter worthy of serious investigation isn’t really an option for the California Republican.

That’s because McCarthy’s party is heavily implicated in that outbreak of mass political violence. Yet disrupting the proceedings or diverting their focus toward some crackpot right-wing media obsession carries its own risks, precisely because the matter is so momentous.

This dilemma is revealed by McCarthy’s deliberations over whether to appoint Republicans to the select committee, which are detailed in a new report from Punchbowl News. His deliberations are highly illuminating about the state of GOP politics today.

Under committee rules, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) must appoint five out of 13 members after "consultation” with McCarthy (giving her veto power), but he isn’t required to exercise this option. Yet Punchbowl reports that he all but certainly will.

Pelosi’s appointment of Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) is already jamming McCarthy, as Joan Walsh points out. After all, he’s required to criticize Cheney’s appointment — it’s GOP orthodoxy that her insistence on accountability for Donald Trump is unacceptable — which underscores the GOP’s adamant opposition to any real accounting.

But McCarthy’s option to pick Republican appointees could also create a serious predicament for him.

McCarthy’s problem

Consider McCarthy’s choices. Punchbowl reports that he might choose Republicans such as Reps. Elise Stefanik (N.Y.) and Jim Jordan (Ohio). These own-the-libs disrupters would win right-wing media plaudits: Indeed, their very consideration shows the strong pull exerted by the need to satiate that drooling right-wing media beast.

But Stefanik’s star has risen precisely because of her high-profile advocacy of the lie that Trump’s loss was dubious or illegitimate. Jordan, too, went to great lengths to sow doubt about the legitimacy of Trump’s loss.

That lie, of course, was central in inciting the insurrection. Given that the committee is charged with investigating the “causes” of the attack, that lie itself will be a major focus of the committee.

How can Republicans who earned renown due to their willingness to echo that same lie sit on this committee without drawing attention to the Republican Party’s own large role in feeding the pathologies that led to the violence?

Indeed, of all the Republicans that McCarthy may pick — according to Punchbowl — just about every one of them voted against certifying President Biden’s electors, a vote that enshrined that lie, on the very day of the attack. There is no way to appoint these Republicans without highlighting the GOP’s own culpability in creating the conditions leading to that day’s horrors.

Theoretically, McCarthy might pick Republicans who didn’t vote against Biden electors, or didn’t feed Trump’s lies, or intend to participate in a real accounting. McCarthy is also reportedly considering several such Republicans.

But this further illustrates his problem. As Cheney noted, her service on the committee is a matter of honoring her “oath” to defend the Constitution. McCarthy can’t appoint too many Republicans who will treat this service as such — as defending the Constitution — because it will invest the proceedings with a gravity that McCarthy cannot allow.

Meanwhile, not appointing anyone would show the GOP to be uninterested in any accounting.

Let’s not forget that McCarthy himself was a pivotal player. His frantic appeals to Trump to call off the rioters will surely be a focus: They will illustrate Trump’s full intention to intimidate lawmakers into reversing the election with mob violence.

‘An insurgency against democracy’

Rick Perlstein suggests we’re witnessing “an insurgency against democracy with parliamentary and paramilitary wings.” The first consists of lawmakers who sided with Trump’s efforts to overturn the election through legal means that morphed into efforts at direct theft. The second consists of those who crossed into violence toward that same end, at Trump’s instigation.

Perhaps all this is best understood as a spectrum moving from “parliamentary” to “paramilitary.” Some Republicans fed the lies about Trump’s loss. Some supported sham lawsuits to overturn the results. Some voted to overturn Biden electors. Some state Republicans entertained sending rogue electors.

Some called on people to attend the “Stop the Steal” rally that produced the violence. Some now minimize and distort the attack, giving cover to a movement that actually did attempt to overturn the constitutional order through mob violence.

The committee’s investigation will inevitably shed light on the place of Republicans all along that spectrum, including any role that GOP lawmakers might have had in planning the rally and, possibly, communicating with Trump about what his true intentions for it were.

I asked Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), a member of the committee, whether the role of individual Republicans in the organization of the rally, and the role that the mass GOP feeding of Trump’s lies played in inspiring the violence, will be topics of the inquiry.

“Our charge is to determine the events of Jan. 6 and the causes of those events,” Raskin told me. “If we are willing to identify the role of the president of the United States in these events, surely we have to be willing to look at the role all other relevant actors played. We want nothing but the facts.”

It’s hard to see how McCarthy can avoid appointing Republicans who themselves fell somewhere on that spectrum. Yet if he appoints Republicans who treat the committee’s mission with the weight it deserves, that will also pose a huge problem. His lack of any obvious way forward itself illustrates how deeply implicated the GOP is in the very horrors that the committee is designed to illuminate.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 7

Poor Kevin... *tiny violin* ?

• I Agree 7

'The anointment of God': Rep. Boebert's July 4 rally speech was filled with Christian nationalism

Wearing her usual holstered firearm U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) on Independence Day injected a heavy dose of Christian nationalism into her speech in Mesa County, Colorado. Rep. Boebert said sees her constituents as "an army for everything that Jesus has purchased for us and our children, and our children's children."

The QAnon-supporting far right Christian conservative was just back from her trip to a Trump rally in Sarasota, Florida, where the former president called her out by name, helping to fuel her brand.

On Sunday in Colorado she made sure to pack her speech "full of God references," as the Colorado Times Recorder reports.

"There are two nations created for God's glory – Israel and the United States of America," Boebert said, kicking off her Sunday speech immediately after Grand Junction's Independence Day parade. "We stand strongly with Israel."

"It's not a coincidence that Independence Day is on a Sunday this year," she also told supporters.

"We will not back down until we have everything God has promised us," she added, although did not specify what her list of demands include.

She also suggested that President Joe Biden is not in charge, saying "God is on the throne."

"It doesn't matter who is President; we serve the almighty King. Trump has not given up and he will not give up."

Is she implying that supernatural shenanigans are behind Independence Day falling on a Sunday this year? :confusion-seeingstars:

Boebert praised Trump's looks saying he had not aged decades like most presidents do when they leave office.

"That is the anointment of God," she claimed.

:doh:

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • WTF 3

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

"That is the anointment of God," she claimed.

No, sweetie, that’s orange make-up. 

• Haha 9

“Anointment” makes me think of “ointment.”

(And my iPad doesn’t even recognize it as a word.)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

“Anointment” makes me think of “ointment.”

(And my iPad doesn’t even recognize it as a word.)

You're not wrong. Anoinment means 'to apply ointment'. :kitty-wink:

• Upvote 3

JMO other presidents aged because they took the job seriously and got stressed. TFG played golf.

That said, he's not looking so hot these days. MOO

• I Agree 9

I'd love to see AOC wipe the floor with BarbieQ:

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

On 7/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, Cartmann99 said:
  Hide contents

image.thumb.png.69a034c9c7e1e136973a1f1e97a0737d.png

Well, gosh-darn it, isn't that just the sort of thing that Congress should have an investigative commission on? So funny that they never tried to set one up!

• Upvote 9

On 7/13/2021 at 12:26 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

I'd love to see AOC wipe the floor with BarbieQ:

I'd pay to watch that.

• I Agree 5

I'm sure you've all heard about who McCarthy has nominated to represent his party on the Jan 6 committee (they're potential witnesses). Nancy Pelosi is not having it. 

Here's her full statement:

image.png.6404ab3d4f17409240475af39e443e90.png

Edited by fraurosena
added statement
  • Thank You 6

Here's McCarthy's and Jordan's -- predictable! -- reactions.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 4

She shut down the circus and petulant one is taking all his toys and leaving. 

• Upvote 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic