IGNORED

US House Of Representatives 3: The Dems Govern While The GQPers Genuflect To The Former Guy

GreyhoundFan

Massie is trying to take a step up in the nutso GQP:

image.png.8a8e04291ab0227c8bacaacd5d1078b7.png

• Upvote 7

GOP Rep. Madison Cawthorn Cleans Gun During Veterans' Affairs Hearing

The House Veterans’ Affairs Committee took Wednesday as an opportunity to hold a virtual hearing on how toxic chemicals are killing U.S. soldiers. Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) took the hearing as an opportunity to clean his gun.

Cawthorn, the youngest current member of Congress, fiddled with his black pistol while one witness explained how university medical researchers could help the government examine how burn pits are harming military service members.

“It was immature. He’s a child. He lacks common sense. I think the congressman was overcompensating for something that he lacks and feeling inadequate among the heroes on that call,” said John Feal, a 9/11 first responder who was at the virtual meeting.

Feal was one of at least two people at the Veterans’ Affairs meeting who noticed what Cawthorn was doing. Both were infuriated. But the general public couldn’t see it, because the two-hour virtual hearing was held over Zoom—which meant that those tuning in could only see the person speaking.

Cawthorn worked on his pistol out of sight for several minutes, two people told The Daily Beast, but it became plainly visible during the testimony of Jen Burch, a veteran who spent six years in the Air Force serving in Japan and Afghanistan.

From the layout of the office behind him, Cawthorn appeared to be in his congressional office at the time, but The Daily Beast could not immediately confirm his location. (Although firearm possession is generally illegal in the District of Columbia, members of Congress have carved out a special rule that allows them to maintain guns in their offices.)

The Daily Beast asked Cawthorn’s office if the congressman thought this an appropriate time to clean his firearm. His communications director, Luke Ball, responded: “What could possibly be more patriotic than guns and veterans?”

• Disgust 7
  • WTF 3

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

The ONLY way this story could have a positive spin is if that dickwad had forgotten to unload it, accidentally fired it, and shot his nuts off. Otherwise, fuck that guy. Did it not occur to his communications director that some veterans want nothing to do with guns because of what they personally experienced and witnessed due to guns? I am fucking furious. 

• Upvote 7

Rep. Lauren Boebert Asked A Group Of Jewish Capitol Visitors If They Were Doing "Reconnaissance"

Rep. Lauren Boebert left a group of Jewish visitors to the Capitol bewildered Thursday morning when she asked them if they were doing "reconnaissance" after seeing them at an elevator at the Capitol.

Members of the group, which was meeting with Rep. Tom Suozzi, were wearing yarmulkes, and the person coordinating the group is Orthodox, with a traditional beard.

One witness said the group, along with other members of Congress, was waiting for an elevator. When the doors opened, Boebert stepped out of the elevator and looked the group of visitors “from head to toe,” the witness said. Boebert then asked if they were there to conduct “reconnaissance.”

“When I heard that, I actually turned to the person standing next to me and asked, ‘Did you just hear that?’” a rabbi who was with the group told BuzzFeed News.

“You know, I’m not sure to be offended or not,” the rabbi said. “I was very confused.” The rabbi added that “people are very sensitive” now, especially after what happened in Texas this past weekend, when an armed man held four people hostage at a synagogue.

Boebert told BuzzFeed News that she was referencing the many comments that have been directed at her from Democrats about Capitol tours prior to the Jan. 6 attack, adding that some people present “got it.”

“I saw a large group and made a joke. Sadly when Democrats see the same they demonize my family for a year straight,” she said in a text.

“I’m too short to see anyone’s yarmulkes,” she added.

• Disgust 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 7

36 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Boebert told BuzzFeed News that she was referencing the many comments that have been directed at her from Democrats about Capitol tours prior to the Jan. 6 attack, adding that some people present “got it.”

“I saw a large group and made a joke

Like that makes it OK.

Lauren, you stupid sack of shit, you could have said that about a group of Baptist pastors or visiting Swedish dignitaries, and it still would have been offensive.

People think you might have been conducting reconnaissance "tours" because there is a reason to believe that.

• Upvote 10

"I'm too short on brain cells to see past my own ignorance and hatred of others before opening my mouth and spewing horrible bullshit."  There- fixed that last part for you, LBo. 

• Upvote 10

• 2 weeks later...

Since he insists on behaving like a child, I wish someone would send him to his room without dinner.

• I Agree 8

I love the little smackdown of Madison after he finishes his minute of shit shoveling:

• Upvote 7

Lauren Boebert's district covers all of Colorado's West Slope, and swings east to catch the city of Pueblo. Very conservative for the most part. Map of Colorado District 3

This article linked below reports on the legal and legit strategy of changing party affiliation for the primaries from Democrat or Libertarian to Republican to vote for Boebert's primary opponent

A strategy to unseat Rep. Lauren Boebert? Some urge Democrats to switch party affiliation to vote in Republican primary

Full text under the spoiler. 

Spoiler

Democrats registered in the 3rd Congressional District are being asked to change their voter registration to “unaffiliated” in a growing campaign to unseat U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert in the Republican primaries in June.

Indivisible Durango, which bills itself as a nonpartisan organization but promotes progressive ideals, floated the idea to members who are registered Democrats in a Feb. 1 newsletter.

“If you are a Democrat or a Libertarian, you can change your party affiliation to ‘unaffiliated’ in order to vote (on) the Republican primary ballot,” the newsletter read. “If you are already unaffiliated or a Republican, we encourage you to consider voting for a reasonable, centrist Republican in the Republican primary.”

The newsletter identified state Sen. Don Coram, Boebert’s strongest Republican opponent, as the politician whom “some believe (creates) the best chance of having a different representative in U.S. Congress.”

Mario Nicolais, a columnist for The Colorado Sun, posited a similar strategy benefiting Coram.

The strategy comes five months before the Republican primaries, a victory to which unaffiliated voters undoubtedly hold the key. According to the Colorado Sun, 40% of the 3rd District’s 513,000 active voters are unaffiliated. Registered Republicans account for 32% of voters, while 27% are registered as Democrats. Unaffiliated voters gained the right to vote in the primaries with Proposition 108, a 2016 ballot measure approved by voters and enacted by the state Senate.

In an interview Friday, Indivisible Durango Council member Debbie Meyers said the organization wasn’t telling people how to vote.

“It may be that the only option is to primary Lauren Boebert, and she can call it what she will, but it is the law,” Meyers said. “But we’re not telling people how to vote or how to register, we just wanted to provide information so that people would know their options.”

Meyers said the organization’s campaign was intended to clarify voting options only for members of Indivisible Durango, but she acknowledged “the information will seep out there.”

In a statement to The Durango Herald, a spokesperson for Boebert’s re-election campaign derided the strategy.

“Unaffiliated voters are overwhelmingly frustrated by the left’s destructive policies on crime and our economy,” the spokesperson wrote. “Any effort to con them into voting for liberal candidates posing as Republicans will be rejected wholeheartedly.

“Colorado’s (3rd District) will elect Lauren Boebert because she is fighting to open our economy back up, secure the border, manage our forests responsibly, make our communities safe and put an end to the left’s insane policies,” the spokesperson said.

Dave Peters, the La Plata County Republican Party chairman, called the strategy a “weapon to manipulate primary elections.”

“It seems their only hope is to masquerade as Republicans and interfere with the process,” Peters said in an email to Herald.

Brenda Freeburn, a Gunnison resident unaffiliated with Indivisible Durango, said she and five of her close friends are on a letter-writing campaign to inform 3rd District voters of their options if they register as unaffiliated.

“We started talking and other people were saying, well, you know, if you want to vote in the Republican primary, it’s easy enough to switch and it just kind of started snowballing a little bit,” she said.

Freeburn and her friends have published letters to the editor in papers across the 3rd District, she said, in the hopes that unaffiliated voters like herself can oust Boebert.

Ted Johnson, a 71-year-old retired businessman, said he also isn’t connected to Indivisible Durango but heard about the idea of changing one’s affiliation through word of mouth.

Johnson wrote a letter to the editor this week in support of the strategy, encouraging Democrats to change their registration and hand Boebert a loss in the Republican primaries by electing Coram.

Johnson has been registered as an unaffiliated voter for eight years. Before that, he was a Republican. He said Boebert appears to be more interested in the limelight of controversy than working across the aisle to accomplish legislative wins for her constituents.

“I think the gentleman that’s running against her is, from my research and discussions with people that know him, somebody that can work both sides of the aisle,” Johnson said in an interview with the Herald. “But to me clearly Boebert is not interested in that.”

A spokesman for Coram’s congressional campaign said it was unaware of the strategy.

“As Sen. Coram has said from the beginning, he’s running to represent the 80% in the middle who have been ignored by the fringes on both sides,” the spokesman wrote. “It’s clear by the conversations we’ve had on the trail that this is a message that is resonating with voters from every walk of life and political persuasion.”

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

Some good news! NC’s redistricting maps have to be revised, hopefully in ways that make them less gerrymandered in favor of the GQP (I’m currently in Madison Cawthorn’s district which includes a large portion of super blue Asheville — my district is gerrymandered to hell). 

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/05/1078481564/north-carolina-redistricting

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

10 hours ago, Howl said:

Lauren Boebert's district covers all of Colorado's West Slope, and swings east to catch the city of Pueblo. Very conservative for the most part. Map of Colorado District 3

This article linked below reports on the legal and legit strategy of changing party affiliation for the primaries from Democrat or Libertarian to Republican to vote for Boebert's primary opponent

A strategy to unseat Rep. Lauren Boebert? Some urge Democrats to switch party affiliation to vote in Republican primary

Full text under the spoiler. 

Hide contents

Democrats registered in the 3rd Congressional District are being asked to change their voter registration to “unaffiliated” in a growing campaign to unseat U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert in the Republican primaries in June.

Indivisible Durango, which bills itself as a nonpartisan organization but promotes progressive ideals, floated the idea to members who are registered Democrats in a Feb. 1 newsletter.

“If you are a Democrat or a Libertarian, you can change your party affiliation to ‘unaffiliated’ in order to vote (on) the Republican primary ballot,” the newsletter read. “If you are already unaffiliated or a Republican, we encourage you to consider voting for a reasonable, centrist Republican in the Republican primary.”

The newsletter identified state Sen. Don Coram, Boebert’s strongest Republican opponent, as the politician whom “some believe (creates) the best chance of having a different representative in U.S. Congress.”

Mario Nicolais, a columnist for The Colorado Sun, posited a similar strategy benefiting Coram.

The strategy comes five months before the Republican primaries, a victory to which unaffiliated voters undoubtedly hold the key. According to the Colorado Sun, 40% of the 3rd District’s 513,000 active voters are unaffiliated. Registered Republicans account for 32% of voters, while 27% are registered as Democrats. Unaffiliated voters gained the right to vote in the primaries with Proposition 108, a 2016 ballot measure approved by voters and enacted by the state Senate.

In an interview Friday, Indivisible Durango Council member Debbie Meyers said the organization wasn’t telling people how to vote.

“It may be that the only option is to primary Lauren Boebert, and she can call it what she will, but it is the law,” Meyers said. “But we’re not telling people how to vote or how to register, we just wanted to provide information so that people would know their options.”

Meyers said the organization’s campaign was intended to clarify voting options only for members of Indivisible Durango, but she acknowledged “the information will seep out there.”

In a statement to The Durango Herald, a spokesperson for Boebert’s re-election campaign derided the strategy.

“Unaffiliated voters are overwhelmingly frustrated by the left’s destructive policies on crime and our economy,” the spokesperson wrote. “Any effort to con them into voting for liberal candidates posing as Republicans will be rejected wholeheartedly.

“Colorado’s (3rd District) will elect Lauren Boebert because she is fighting to open our economy back up, secure the border, manage our forests responsibly, make our communities safe and put an end to the left’s insane policies,” the spokesperson said.

Dave Peters, the La Plata County Republican Party chairman, called the strategy a “weapon to manipulate primary elections.”

“It seems their only hope is to masquerade as Republicans and interfere with the process,” Peters said in an email to Herald.

Brenda Freeburn, a Gunnison resident unaffiliated with Indivisible Durango, said she and five of her close friends are on a letter-writing campaign to inform 3rd District voters of their options if they register as unaffiliated.

“We started talking and other people were saying, well, you know, if you want to vote in the Republican primary, it’s easy enough to switch and it just kind of started snowballing a little bit,” she said.

Freeburn and her friends have published letters to the editor in papers across the 3rd District, she said, in the hopes that unaffiliated voters like herself can oust Boebert.

Ted Johnson, a 71-year-old retired businessman, said he also isn’t connected to Indivisible Durango but heard about the idea of changing one’s affiliation through word of mouth.

Johnson wrote a letter to the editor this week in support of the strategy, encouraging Democrats to change their registration and hand Boebert a loss in the Republican primaries by electing Coram.

Johnson has been registered as an unaffiliated voter for eight years. Before that, he was a Republican. He said Boebert appears to be more interested in the limelight of controversy than working across the aisle to accomplish legislative wins for her constituents.

“I think the gentleman that’s running against her is, from my research and discussions with people that know him, somebody that can work both sides of the aisle,” Johnson said in an interview with the Herald. “But to me clearly Boebert is not interested in that.”

A spokesman for Coram’s congressional campaign said it was unaware of the strategy.

“As Sen. Coram has said from the beginning, he’s running to represent the 80% in the middle who have been ignored by the fringes on both sides,” the spokesman wrote. “It’s clear by the conversations we’ve had on the trail that this is a message that is resonating with voters from every walk of life and political persuasion.”

Here in Virginia, voters don’t register with either party. On primary day, you are simply asked which ballot you want. I prefer that approach. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Here in Virginia, voters don’t register with either party. On primary day, you are simply asked which ballot you want. I prefer that approach. 

This is what Ohio does. There is no separate party registration; you are considered registered with the party whose primary ballot you voted. For primaries, I vote where I believe my choices are most likely to make a difference.

Unfortunately - since you are considered registered for that party - the state party organization has your snail mail address and you get all their junk mail until such time as you vote in a primary for the other party.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, apple1 said:

Unfortunately - since you are considered registered for that party - the state party organization has your snail mail address and you get all their junk mail until such time as you vote in a primary for the other party.

We get the junk mail from both parties. It gets annoying.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

13 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

We get the junk mail from both parties. It gets annoying.

I am SO. OVER. JUNK. SNAIL. MAIL. I (even as old as I am) do almost everything electronically, as far as pay bills, etc.

Most of what is delivered to my physical mailbox is junk of one kind or the other. As for political stuff - straight to the trash can. What a waste of trees.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

In my country we have stickers we can put on our mailbox with the message that we don't want junk mail. Keeps the mailbox nice and empty most days, and only real, actual mail gets delivered.

We also have stickers you can place under the doorbell saying you don't want any salesmen or religious conversions at your door. Works like a charm... and especially handy if you have two doxxies who bark their heads of when anyone rings the bell. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, fraurosena said:

In my country we have stickers we can put on our mailbox with the message that we don't want junk mail. Keeps the mailbox nice and empty most days, and only real, actual mail gets delivered.

We also have stickers you can place under the doorbell saying you don't want any salesmen or religious conversions at your door. Works like a charm... and especially handy if you have two doxxies who bark their heads of when anyone rings the bell. :pb_lol:

Wow, that sounds heavenly. Some people put up "no soliciting" signs on their doors, but the signs are often ignored.

I can't stand when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door, but I don't mind the Mormons. I often get into a debate with them, which can be fun. I remember one who came to my door several years ago. He commented that he was surprised how knowledgeable I was about his religion. This was after an hour-long discussion. Yes, I was bored that day, so I took an hour to talk to them.

• Upvote 7

I have never had a Mormon come to my door, even though I live in the area where the church was founded.  I’ve always wanted to ask “Why did your angel find gold plates when Moses had to be content with stone tablets?”

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I have never had a Mormon come to my door, even though I live in the area where the church was founded.  I’ve always wanted to ask “Why did your angel find gold plates when Moses had to be content with stone tablets?”

They usually stop by my place about once a year. I'll try to remember to ask this one next time.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Many moons ago, long before we had those stickers, one Sunday some JW's came to my door as I was working in our front yard. Before they could even say anything this atheist hautainly said that I did not wish to be disturbed on the lord's day. They promptly excused themselves and left. 😁

• Upvote 5

I didn't think Gohmert could read. Are they looking at his comic books?

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Some people put up "no soliciting" signs on their doors, but the signs are often ignored.

We have a sign that says "NO SOLICITING, NO EXCEPTIONS" at our front door.  If anyone ever has the stones to ignore that, they'd better have earplugs, because they're going to be shouted at by me while my dog shouts at them besides.  

• Upvote 4

"Rep. Joyce Beatty asked Rep. Harold Rogers to put on a mask. She says he insulted her instead."

Reps. Joyce Beatty (D-Ohio) and Harold Rogers (R-Ky.) got into an apparent spat Tuesday after Beatty said she asked Rogers to put on a face mask before boarding the U.S. Capitol’s subway system.

“Today, while heading to the House floor for votes, I respectfully asked my colleague @RepHalRogers to put on a mask while boarding the train,” Beatty tweeted. “He then poked my back, demanding I get on the train.”

“When I asked him not to touch me, he responded, ‘kiss my a--,’ ” she added.

Beatty, 71, said the exchange was “the kind of disrespect we have been fighting for years,” and indicative of the wider problem of Republicans legislators disregarding health and safety mandates put in place in Congress at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

Beatty publicly called on Rogers to apologize.

“When you are ready to grow up and apologize for your behavior, you know where to find me,” she tweeted.

In a statement Tuesday evening, Rogers, 84, said he had met with Beatty to personally apologize.

“My words were not acceptable and I expressed my regret to her, first and foremost,” Rogers said.

Recounting the incident on CNN’s “New Day” Wednesday morning, Beatty noted there was a sign that said people needed to wear a face mask in order to board the train.

“It was insulting,” Beatty told CNN. “It angered me that he would have the nerve to poke me in my back. That was bad enough.”

But his cursing her after she asked him not to touch her was the last straw, she added.

“With that, I told him I would not be disrespected, that I was a colleague of his and that I was a Black woman,” Beatty said. “I was not going to be bullied by him. I actually told him he picked the wrong woman today because I was not going to be bullied standing up for something I thought was right.”

Several GOP lawmakers have outright refused to wear face coverings in Congress, incurring hefty fines as they do so. Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Andrew S. Clyde of Georgia have together amassed more than $100,000 in fines for continuing to defy the mask mandate on the House floor.

Last year, Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) said she was moving her office at the U.S. Capitol complex away from Greene’s for safety reasons, after claiming that Greene accosted her without a mask.

“Out of concern for the health of my staff, other members of Congress, and their congressional staff, I repeatedly called out to her to put on a mask,” Bush said. “Taylor Greene and her staff responded by berating me, with one staffer yelling, ‘Stop inciting violence with Black Lives Matter.’ ”

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus gathered Tuesday evening to condemn the incident between Beatty and Rogers, and called on Rogers to publicly apologize as well.

“Today what we saw was unacceptable,” said Rep. Brenda Lawrence (D-Mich.) “This was harassment of a woman, a Black woman and a woman in leadership because he put his hands on her. He told her to kiss his part of his body. And I can tell you, being the little Black girl from the east side of Detroit, I would not take that standing or sitting, and I’m not going to take a standing or city for one of our own to be disrespected.”

House Majority Whip James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.) said he knew that wearing masks could be uncomfortable at times but that it did not give anyone an excuse to insult or assault another member of Congress. He also reminded lawmakers to be mindful that their behaviors should set an example for others across the country.

Others cited the incident as yet another example of the erosion of civility in Congress.

“We should be applauding [Beatty] for trying to protect everybody’s health,” Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) said. “We understand what frustration there is around a lot of issues. But in no way should any colleague go beyond the pale by doing what was done today. … The behavior and the words today were indescribably, unbelievably horrible.”

• Thank You 8

Massie is trying to challenge Gohmert for stupidest person in congress:

image.png.03371950ef66c8e75529f18654aeaaa0.png

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic