IGNORED

US House Of Representatives 3: The Dems Govern While The GQPers Genuflect To The Former Guy

GreyhoundFan

For the non-tweeps among you:

“The violent domestic attack on Congress on January 6th was the worst assault on the Capitol since the War of 1812 and the worst domestic assault on American Democracy since the Civil War.  We are facing a radically new threat in the kinds of forces that combined to attack our government on January 6th.  The future of our democracy is on the line.  This assault was an attempt to overthrow the government.

“We need a comprehensive investigation as to who organized this attack, who paid for it, how they nearly succeeded in overthrowing a presidential election, why they did it and how we must organize ourselves to prevent anything like it from ever happening again.

“It had been our hope to establish a bipartisan, independent National Commission, but there is no prospect for that Commission at this time because of insufficient support from Republican Senators.  Therefore, the House established the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol.  The Select Committee on the January 6th Insurrection will investigate and report upon the facts and causes of the terrorist mob attack on the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021.  It will also be charged with reporting its findings, conclusions and recommendations for preventing future attacks.

“Monday evening, the Minority Leader recommended 5 Members to serve on the Select Committee.  I have spoken with him this morning about the objections raised about Representatives Jim Banks and Jim Jordan and the impact their appointments may have on the integrity of the investigation.  I also informed him that I was prepared to appoint Representatives Rodney Davis, Kelly Armstrong and Troy Nehls, and requested that he recommend two other Members.

“With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these Members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan to the Select Committee.

“The unprecedented nature of January 6th demands this unprecedented decision.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

Good for Nancy.  Polluting the process means polluting the results.  Looks to me like the Dems may be learning how to fight.

• I Agree 7

Rick Wilson. Thread. Nuff said.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

It's hard to believe Jackson is an actual doctor:

• I Agree 10

House Freedom Caucus asks McCarthy to try to remove Pelosi as speaker

The conservative House Freedom Caucus is urging Kevin McCarthy to try to boot Nancy Pelosi from her position as speaker, a sign of further escalating tensions after the California Democrat vetoed two of the House Minority Leader’s GOP picks from the Jan. 6 select committee.

In a letter Friday, the far-right group asked McCarthy to file and bring up a privileged motion by July 31 “to vacate the chair and end Nancy Pelosi’s authoritarian reign as Speaker of the House.”

“Speaker Pelosi’s tenure is destroying the House of Representatives and our ability to faithfully represent the people we are here to serve,” they write. “Republicans, under your leadership, must show the American people that we will act to protect our ability to represent their interests.”

The motion is all but guaranteed to fail in the Democratic House, but it signals a stewing anger on the right towards the speaker. The Freedom Caucus’ letter indicates that McCarthy would need to initiate the motion, and if he were to do so, it would further escalate partisan acrimony in the House that has remained high, and occasionally gotten personal, since Jan. 6.

They argue that Pelosi’s decision to reject Reps. Jim Banks (R-Ind.) and Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) from the panel was “intolerable.” Pelosi, meanwhile, says she made the right call blocking the two Trump allies because of their “antics” in the months following the deadly insurrection.

Pelosi: Jordan and Banks would have affected 'integrity of the committee'

Banks and Jordan “made statements and took actions that just would have been ridiculous to put them on a committee seeking the truth,” Pelosi told reporters.

A spokesperson for Pelosi did not immediately respond to request for comment.

The group, which signed the letter simply as “House Freedom Caucus,” cited a series of other grievances against Pelosi that they argue represent “unconstitutional changes," such as proxy voting, “insulting security measures like metal detectors,” and her decision to kick a member of the minority — Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) — off her committees over dangerous conspiracy remarks and social media posts she made before serving in Congress.

A spokesperson for McCarthy did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

• WTF 8

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

The group, which signed the letter simply as “House Freedom Caucus,” cited a series of other grievances against Pelosi that they argue represent “unconstitutional changes," such as proxy voting, “insulting security measures like metal detectors,”

Hmmm... Yet these conservatives are the very ones whose solution for school safety is more metal detectors in schools.

• Upvote 10

16 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Hmmm... Yet these conservatives are the very ones whose solution for school safety is more metal detectors in schools.

Isn’t it more like “thoughts and prayers”?

• Upvote 7

Routers... he wants the routers... routers! 

• I Agree 6

He's quite delusional.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

Yes, he is:

• I Agree 9

May this be a trend. May anyone backed by TFG not win... 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Qevin doesn't have enough brainpower to illuminate a 5W nightlight.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

7 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I read somewhere that lack of mask compliance in the House will lead to "refusal of entry and/or a fine."

I say forget that wimpy approach -- it needs to be a three-pronged (and all three) response.

1) refusal of entry -- that's basic public health hygiene

2) fined, because some people only notice their wallet

AS WELL AS

3) not permitted to cast any votes for 24 hours following each attempt to enter w/o being properly masked.

And this should also apply to anyone who masks to get in and then repeatedly takes theirs off or lets it slip down or "forgets" to put it back after drinking water etc.

Yes it's about public health but it's also about agreeing to follow house rules when in the house.  They have dress codes, protocols for speaking, presumably rules about food, weapons, guests, etc.  They agree to abide by those rules whether they like them or not.  This is certainly not less important than those.

SMDH

Edited by church_of_dog
  • I Agree 12

3 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

GQP a-hole Clyde has found a way to weasel out of fines.

I hope Democrat leadership can find a way to close his loophole, because you know all the Repugs will follow suit. 

I really wanted to give the angry reaction, but until we make that one neutral, I didn't want to impose it on you...

This seems ridiculous to me.  OK, most reps pay their bad-behavior fines via their paycheck.  But why is that the only method they are set up for?  Once you pull that stunt once, no more paycheck payments for you, you must pay via some other method.    AND YOU CAN'T ENTER OR VOTE UNTIL PAID.

Why is that even a question?  I mean, if someone owes a health insurance premium that normally comes out of their paycheck, but they sneakily arrange to not have enough money in their paycheck?  They don't get to continue merrily along having "loopholed" their way out of paying.

And if they delay their payment, they owe accruing interest/late fees on it.  And it goes on their credit report as a late payment.  Simple!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Once you pull that stunt once, no more paycheck payments for you, you must pay via some other method.    AND YOU CAN'T ENTER OR VOTE UNTIL PAID.

Agreed. Turn up and pay in cash, and with interest.

• Upvote 10

It would seem to me that this is a federal fine and, like with unpaid taxes, you could put a lien against Clyde's firearm business.  Surely there are legitimate ways to get the man to pay what is owed.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic