IGNORED

US House Of Representatives 3: The Dems Govern While The GQPers Genuflect To The Former Guy

GreyhoundFan

Update on Santos, with, Quelle surprise!, more evidence of fabrications: Incoming congressman’s claims his grandparents fled the Holocaust contradicted by genealogy records

"Santos, who has called himself “half Jewish” and a “Latino Jew” in media appearances, has claimed his maternal grandfather was originally from Ukraine and fled to Brazil to escape Nazism. In another telling, the New York Republican said his grandparents converted to Catholicism during the rise of Nazism in Belgium after fleeing Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union. In another telling, he claimed his family changed their name to survive Nazism.

CNN spoke to multiple genealogists who said there was no proof of the claims."

There are bound to be more fabrications, bombshells and financial skullduggery to uncover, because everything he's put forth about his life has been a lie. The financial angle may be big. This is a guy who has been evicted twice from NYC apartments for nonpayment of rent, but at some point shows up with many hundreds of thousands of dollars to throw around. 

Republicans were all "Whoa, we've got a gay Latino/Jew on our side!  How cool is that? !!!!!!!11!!!!! Eleventy.

Now he's an obvious liability and you can only do so  much damage control, especially when more is uncovered every day.   If he's forced to resign (and you KNOW they want him gone, like yesterday) what kind of process will be triggered for his replacement? 

11 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Love Hakeem:

Oooh, me too.  He's a super feisty voice for the Dems. Does not mince words. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5

I think Santos took some hallucinogens, read 1 Corinthians 9:19-23, and thought "Hey, never mind all of that Jesus stuff - this is a great way to get elected!"

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.  To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.  To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

https://www.thedailybeast.com/openly-gay-rep-elect-george-santos-didnt-disclose-divorce-with-woman?fbclid=IwAR2yGH7R7nsxfg2CCHC5dh8SEl-ClG6J_S-Slo-nI0imQWPZuo7KuW-t0PA

Spoiler

Republican congressman-elect George Santos is under new scrutiny after a New York Times report earlier this week uncovered a string of apparent outright fabrications at the heart of some of the most fundamental facts of his life, but that backstory may also be notable for what Santos did not include—a publicly undisclosed marriage.

Santos, who claims he has “never experienced discrimination in the Republican Party,” broke barriers this year when he became the first openly gay non-incumbent GOP candidate elected to Congress.

ADVERTISEMENT

But according to court records obtained by The Daily Beast, Santos appears to be the subject of a previously unacknowledged Sept. 2019 divorce with a woman in Queens County, New York. The divorce—which Santos has not discussed publicly—adds new uncertainty to his already shaky biographical and political claims.

“I am openly gay, have never had an issue with my sexual identity in the past decade, and I can tell you and assure you, I will always be an advocate for LGBTQ folks,” Santos told USA Today in October, responding to criticism about his support for Florida’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay Bill” signed into law this year by GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis.

New Congressman George Santos Reportedly Caught Lying, Again

DEJA VU

Less than two weeks after his divorce was finalized, Santos filed the official paperwork to launch his 2020 campaign. And while his 2022 campaign bio mentions his husband, who according to Santos lives with him and their four dogs on Long Island, he’s kept this previous marriage out of the public eye entirely.

It’s entirely possible that Santos, who claims he has “never experienced discrimination in the Republican Party,” has been living comfortably as an openly gay man for, as he says, more than a decade. People get married for countless reasons. But Santos’ situation is curious because he never disclosed his divorce to voters, and never reconciled his prior marriage to a woman—which ended just 12 days before he established his first congressional campaign—with his claims of being an out and proud gay Republican.

Santos, 34, made his first bid for Congress in 2020, losing to Rep. Tom Suozzi (D-NY) before toppling Democratic opponent Robert Zimmerman this year. But following a New York Times investigation that suggested Santos had fictionalized key elements of his resume, he’s already facing calls to resign, as well as a possible ethics investigation.

The colleges Santos says he attended don’t have a record of him; Citigroup and Goldman Sachs don’t either, though he claimed to work there; the IRS has no record of his nonprofit; he still faces “unresolved” legal trouble in Brazil; his past business ventures appear flimsy; and even his address was called into question.

ADVERTISING

In response to the Times report, Santos’ attorney Joseph Murray released a statement that, while stopping short of denying the accusations, painted his client as a victim, because he “represents the kind of progress that the Left is so threatened by—a gay, Latino, immigrant and Republican who won a Biden district in overwhelming fashion by showing everyday voters that there is a better option than the broken promises and failed policies of the Democratic Party.”

Disclaimer: Daily Beast, so make of it what you will...

The "openly gay for 10 years, Mr. Santos" was apparently married to a woman until 2019 with his divorce finalized in 2020 just before filed papers to run for office? Of course being married doesn't mean he's a closet heterosexual, but hiding a prior marriage was what exactly? I feel like Long Island is being epically trolled by TPTB. I mean I feel like that on the daily just reading shit on the Nextdoor app, but this is getting next level...

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

18 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

The "openly gay for 10 years, Mr. Santos" was apparently married to a woman until 2019 with his divorce finalized in 2020 just before filed papers to run for office?

Ooooh, thanks for this.  Is his ex inclined to spill some tea? 

His compulsive lying has released a pheromone triggering the WTAF portion of journalists' and oppo researchers' brains.   There will be no aspect of his life that's unexamined, no stone unturned. 

As noted, this level of lying seems like a compulsion. Would not surprise me if there are multiple secret lives, financial scams, a second family, who knows what. 

Stock up on the Jiffy Pop, Pop Secret, Orville Redenbachers.

Alternately, according to google, you can make your own microwave popcorn using regular pop corn and a paper bag. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

On 12/24/2022 at 3:54 AM, Howl said:

His compulsive lying has released a pheromone triggering the WTAF portion of journalists' and oppo researchers' brains.   There will be no aspect of his life that's unexamined, no stone unturned.

Now if they could maybe try this before the elections that would help.

• Upvote 6

I’d love to hear what they talked about:

• Upvote 4

Anybody following the House speaker vote right now?

Is this some coordinated effort to push some extremist creature like Jordan (or heaven forbid, the former guy) in, or is thus just further evidence of the GOP being about to consume itself? 

I’m not savvy enough on the rules of the House to predict outcomes here. Any chance that Jeffries could actually win?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Shrubbery said:

Anybody following the House speaker vote right now?

Is this some coordinated effort to push some extremist creature like Jordan (or heaven forbid, the former guy) in, or is thus just further evidence of the GOP being about to consume itself? 

I’m not savvy enough on the rules of the House to predict outcomes here. Any chance that Jeffries could actually win?

He could, but it would be an almost impossible outside chance. I’d pay to see those fireworks though!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Shrubbery said:

McCarthy is an extremist asshole too.

It's amazing to me that they are in this much disarray. Like, this is basic stuff. It's funny on one hand, but honestly, it means another deadlocked congress.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

He could, but it would be an almost impossible outside chance. I’d pay to see those fireworks though!

Me too!

I’ve since learned that there is no automatic defaulting from requiring a majority to requiring only a plurality, which I was thinking might happen, and that that idjit Gaetz has threatened to drag this out into March at least.

Boebert voted for Jordan, btw. Only surprise there is she found the mic all on her own.

• Upvote 7

I’m following the proceedings with a freshly popped bag of this. 

21193E96-AAA5-4E10-ADCF-20E43E6D60F1.thumb.jpeg.13ca37159a276b19507e0ab90fc2df3d.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

McCarthy is an extremist asshole too.

It's amazing to me that they are in this much disarray. Like, this is basic stuff. It's funny on one hand, but honestly, it means another deadlocked congress.

Oh you’re right. It’s getting so difficult to distinguish between the shades of arseholery between the different factions of the GOP. They appear to oscillate between hating each other and hating everyone else even more.

I should have perhaps said „an even more deranged extremist“ when describing Jordan v McCarthy …

• Upvote 6

TBH, they are both equally deranged IMHO, but honestly, when your whole party is based on hate, I guess it rubs off on everything. It's kind of sad on one hand, but, because I'm a petty asshole, I'm enjoying watching McCarthy get humiliated repeatedly.

• Upvote 11

I quite liked how much more coordinated ovations and whoops Jeffries was getting compared to the much more lukewarm applause and whistles the Rep candidates got when the results of the second vote were read out.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Considering that this Congress will have the Republicans in the majority and that they have a whackadoodle agenda, maybe deadlocked is the best outcome.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

1 minute ago, Xan said:

Considering that this Congress will have the Republicans in the majority and that they have a whackadoodle agenda, maybe deadlocked is the best outcome.

While I unreservedly agree with you on that, it's not good for the country that we have a whole party acting like a spoiled toddler who didn't get candy and refusing to get anything done. It's bad for everyone and needs to stop.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

God only knows what that means, but welcome to the shitshow that is republican governance! 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 5

Popcorn eating continued here:

• Upvote 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic